[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiking Mountains

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: borahguide-ridgeline.jpg (51KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
borahguide-ridgeline.jpg
51KB, 500x320px
Hey /out/ im hiking my first major peak, mount Borah in idaho and i need to know the basics of hiking a mountain. Me and the people im with are all physically in shape but any pieces of adivce especially for mount borah itself?
>>
>>826794
http://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/borah-guide/
Is google that hard?
>>
>>826807
Yes. I have yahoo
>>
>>826794
Literally keep your head up and forward. Keeping your head towards the ground restricts air flow. Look with your eyes. Not your head.
>>
>>826794

Breathe deep, take small steps, pay attention to what your body tells you. If you need a break, take a break. If you need a drink, take a drink. Humans have been climbing mountains forever. All you really need is the will to get to the top.
>>
File: DSC_0619.jpg (899KB, 1400x884px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0619.jpg
899KB, 1400x884px
Hey I was just over there, just passing through though, didn't get a chance to do the climb. My personal advice as someone that's done some 14k ft peaks is first thing throw all your gear and friends in the trash. Here's the gear that you need
Shoes - I really like Montrail Mountain Masochists
Microspikes if going glacier routes - mine are Hillsound
Shorts - I recommend BOA Galaxy shorts
Water - either have a liter with you or map your route around mountain streams and glaciers
Food - I try to eat about 350cal per hour via gels or shot blocks
That's it for gear. Looking at the fastest route you should be able to do it roundtrip in no more than 3:30. Main issue I've had is my hands and feet swelling to 150% their normal size from ascending too fast but I live at sea level, you might not be sensitive to it. Happy climbing, stay safe anon.
>>
have a sherpa carry your espresso machine
>>
>>826794
Look where you step, step where you look.
>>
>>826794
You either walk or look at the view. Never both at the same time.

Bring trekking poles.

Even if it's hot, it may be chilly at the top. Bring something warm.
>>
>>826794
When you piss at the top, just make sure it's not against the wind
>>
>>826956
please say those aren't men's shorts
>>
>>826956
Fuck this guy >>831253

Link to shorts pls.
>>
>>831260
galaxy print.
>>
File: CIMG1936.jpg (741KB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
CIMG1936.jpg
741KB, 3072x2304px
>>826794

I did Borah several years ago. Have more than a liter of water with you. However, there's often a little snow on the route right after Chicken-out Ridge and some at the summit this time of year - refill if you can if you decided to only take only a liter nalgene (or whatever). I took just under two liters and bonked hard 200' from the summit. I still made it but I had to go back down the ~5300 and 3+ miles on a half a liter of water. I was horribly dehydrated when I got back down to the bottom. Leave some water in the car just in case.

The trail is straight forward and pretty good up to Chicken-out Ridge at which point there are routes everywhere. You can hit it straight on and stay high on the ridge. There's a little drop before you hit the saddle/top of couloir. There's a trail to the left that takes you across the couloir down a little from the top/saddle. This merges with the trail and if there is snow, it could be packed and slick from other climbers (but nothing big). On the way down, I crossed this then traversed to the top of the ridge to the other side where there was some fun exposed class 3/4.

On the way up, after the Ridge, the route has some crappy scree that's kind of a pain.

(pic is from summit)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.