[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living in a tent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 51iK85z23qL._SX425_.jpg (25KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
51iK85z23qL._SX425_.jpg
25KB, 425x425px
I'm trying to keep my camping tent cool in the summer for when the sun shines on it. Which should I use...

>pic related silver tarp
>same tarp in white
>industrial foil (the kind people use to insulate their attics)

I heard silver reflects more heat than white, but only if its metallic, not if its dull silver. Not sure if pic related is considered metallic or dull.

Here it is on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/ATE-Pro-USA-96075-Heavy-Duty/dp/B00NGZCLCG/ref=pd_day0_86_11?ie=UTF8&dpID=51iK85z23qL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=89GCE7QZ1QPDZGH5RDWR
>>
>>826608
I hope you die from aids
>>
>>826608
What are you using the tent for where this is a problem? Can't you just stay outside of the tent until it is darker or set up in the shade?

I just can"t imagine a scenario where you'd need to be hanging out in a tent under noon sun.

How are you planning to set up the tarp? Just throwing it over the tent or using it to cast a shadow on the tent? For the former you want a high albedo (white/metallic) and the latter you want high opacity (color won't matter).
>>
>>826608
White, silver metallic will fade and be less effective over time. No need for any fancy stuff, if it's dry a bedsheet is your best bet.
>>
I don't live in a tent, I live out of one.
I use three seasons tent with a custom made reflective fly.
Silver side in when it's cold, silver side out when it's hot. Temperate and I don't use it.

Selecting a site for the tent is a skill, where will the shade be later in the day? Water run off? Wind? Do you want to catch sun?

Seeing that I usually pack up every day, a tent that drys quickly is more important.
>>
>>826632
I live in someone's backyard where there are no trees for shade.

I am going to throw the tarp over the tent because there isn't a structure available for me to tie it in a way that would cast a shadow.

>>826778
Hows the weather where you live?
>>
>>827002
So why are you hanging out in the tent during the middle of the day?
>>
>>827007
cause hes living the neet dream in someones back yard no need to be a dick
>>
>>827007
It actually gets hot really early, like 8am. I like to sleep in to 11am on the weekends, and I also have my desk and computer set up in my tent where I would like to study if it wasn't so hot most of the day.
>>
>>827002
Throw over the tent won't do you much good, plus the added weight may break your cheap ass tent.

The least you can do is hang it above the tent so there is a air gap between the 2.
Color wise white or any light color will do, dull sliver (ducktype color) will not be as effective, but as long as it is thick enough it should work.
>>
>>826608
your best bet is gonna be airflow. anything solid that blocks out all light is going to be ur best bet realistically. so black, but also what helps is actually keeping the soil under your tent, moist/wet [assuming you have a decent enough ground tarp] it allows the coolness from the dirt/earth to transfer to you and ur tent more effectively.

you could also build one of those underground PVC pipe earthen coolers. basically get as much 3inch ID PVC pipe, 2 PC fans. burry the PVC pipe 3 feet or deeper underground, leave the beginning above ground and hook up your first fan, if they are different CFM ratings, the more powerful one. to the start blowing air in, then at the end, funnel the PVC pipe [can use flexible drier pipe too] into the tent.

I have my little workshed in my backyard setup with one of these... you kinda need a lot of PVC pipe tho to get it to effectively drop the outside temps [in my case 90s-low 100s.] to workable inside temps. sometimes I can only get 85 degrees, while other times, I can get 70 degrees. I think it really depends on soil moisture level, the more water in the ground, the easier the ground temps can soak up the excess heat from the air passing through the pipes.

also assuming you can dig, and have electrical hookup.
>>
>>827036
>desk and computer set up in my tent
please show pics
>>
airflow is definitely going to be your biggest problem, like >>827074 said. Your best bet is to set up a black tarp pulled taut at all 4 corners with poles supporting it so that the tent is always in the shade without losing wind or whatever. Underneath that, set up another tarp the same way, but a white one. Leave a few inches between the two. This is probably a little much, but if you can swing it, it'll definitely work the best
>>
>>827311
This
>>
>>827311
Seriously Lmao I lost it
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.