[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anoraks/ G, fred Asbell clothes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 23

File: anorak-olive-drab.jpg (75KB, 330x527px) Image search: [Google]
anorak-olive-drab.jpg
75KB, 330x527px
thinking of getting an anorak by G, fred Asbell. has anyone had any experience with their products? post your wool jumpers and anoraks.
>>
you have to live in the woods to wear a top like that, or else you just look like a faggot
>>
>>826382

Swanndri Ranger shirt has all the hippy wool bs advantages but it's cut like a normal shirt so you don't look like a wanker. I'd look at one of them first.
>>
>>826465
>Swanndri Ranger shirt
$120+ shirt

I tend to think of bushcraft/survivialist/nativist /out/ists as poorfags or at least frugal DIY types. But when someone like Ray Mears mentions a piece of gear they are suddenly willing to spend absurd amounts of money on it.

This shirt. Anything made of Ventile. Handmade scandi ground knives made of cheap simple carbon steel.
>>
>>826492

$90+ is ok though?

I paid £65 for my ranger shirt. I literally didn't know Ray Mears wore them until somebody on here told me.

Anyway, your butthurt aside, it looks like you could do better with some of their other products. You do appear to have posted the most wood elf looking shit they sell.
>>
>>826449
fpbp
>>
Get a gorka 4 by bars, better and cooler.
>>
File: swanndri.jpg (65KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
swanndri.jpg
65KB, 480x640px
>>826382
Swanndri Bushshirt is gr8

>>826449
>>826770
>>826779
Relax technologycucks.
>>
>>826802
>technologycucks
I hope you die of dysentery, Luddite
>>
>>826802
I'd take my Hunting and Fishing brand fleece bush shirt/coat thing over a swanndri any day.
>>
File: 1437100323296.jpg (921KB, 1333x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1437100323296.jpg
921KB, 1333x2000px
>>826840
Don't get mad about your lungs being full of soot and poisons from the city you're living in, buddy :) Don't get mad at getting kidney stones from drinking Soft Drinks everyday, and being overweight because of the food you eat.

Those are all the pleasures of a "better" technological life though.

>>826902
>fleece
doesn't protect against the elements, melts by a fire.
>>
>>827201
>overweight
>projecting
Odds are you'd be dead of full of worms by now without technology namefag
But keep up the LARPing and cosplay if your fantasyland is safer than reality
>>
File: 1469003829611.jpg (76KB, 585x780px) Image search: [Google]
1469003829611.jpg
76KB, 585x780px
>>
>>827253
Fuck off with this again I really want it
>>
>>827276
Are you the guy from Adelaide?
>>
>>827276

I'll be in the Bushwear shop in Perth at the weekend. I can ask them if it's exclusive to them or whatever if you want?
>>
File: DSCF0016.jpg (83KB, 760x1050px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0016.jpg
83KB, 760x1050px
>>826382
>Superior german loden felted wool
>Superior german gebirgsjäger pattern
Not mine because anoraks are 90% meme and 10% useful.
>>
File: ted kkkk.png (225KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
ted kkkk.png
225KB, 640x428px
>>827240
You're denying modern food makes you overweight?

damnm so much denial with these technologycucks

I wouldn't be dead full of worms, I'd be living in a cosy village living off the land.
Don't get mad technologycuck, there's so much denial here.
>>
>>827471
>there where no overweight people before modern times
>knows nothing about parasites
Keep cosplaying in your fantasy world LARPer
Maybe you'll see a unicorn
>>
File: ted k.jpg (82KB, 876x493px) Image search: [Google]
ted k.jpg
82KB, 876x493px
>>827490
>implying i'm talking about modern times

>technologycuck doesn't realise I'm talking about Tribal Societies
Don't get mad technologycuck. Are you still made about those bombs sent by Ted back in the day? sad your scientists got injured?
>>
>>827503
>Tribal Societies
have loads of parasites and diseases, have shorter heights, less intelligence, and shorter lifespans
If you are so anti-technology, why are you posting on the internet?
>>
File: ted kkkkkkkkkkk.jpg (56KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
ted kkkkkkkkkkk.jpg
56KB, 850x400px
>>827518
>have loads of parasites and diseases, have shorter heights, less intelligence, and shorter lifespans

Nope. They are naturally immunised against parsities and diseases, because the ones who are weak get killed by them, shorter heights is a myth, The Germanic People were Six feet and higher, less intelligence is a myth since IQ represents nothing, and they lived to 60, which is a good age to live. Anything past 60 results in alzheimers and shitty diseases.
>muh if you're anti technology why are you on a computer

Your argument is stupid because just because you have a political opinion it doesn't mean you have to live in. an anarchist doesn't need to go to somalia because they're an anarchist.
secondly, i'm saving up to buy land where I can live innawoods

third even when i live innawoods i would still use a solar panel and computer, just for listening to music, watching movies and playing vidya when i have nothing else to do.
technologycuck, can you explain why you're so mad?
>>
>>827542
>posts pics of uncle Ted
>lots of name calling
>lots of typing and arguing
I think it is you that is mad
>>
>>827201
>doesn't protect against the elements
So a fleece cut similarly to a swannie with a windproof and water repellent lining doesn't protect from the elements but an overpriced piece of rough wool does, gotcha.
>fire
I've never had this be a problem. Maybe it you didn't rely on meme gear you wouldn't need to sit so close to the fire to keep warm?
>>
>>826382
Wool sucks and makes you smell like a wet nigresses weave. Only wool hats for me. Everything else is better alternatives.
>>
>>826382
>>826802

That'll go great with your feathered hat.
>>
>>827471
Lots of mummies found in Egypt were you overweight and all suffered from modern diseases you cuck
>>
>>826382
There's a ton of youtubes out there of guys making these out of wool blankets.

I didn't bother reading the whole tread, too much salt for my blood, but I did see that some people said it was stupid to buy an expensive ass shirt you'd never wear in civilization.

If you fall in this camp, then making one seems like definitely the way to go. Wool would be very forgiving material to work with if you've never sewn before. You'd be able to make it fit right, wouldn't have to settle for a fit.

>above all else it'd be cheap, much cheaper than a lot of this bullshit.
>>
>>827373
I'd consider buying this if I can get it without paying their VAT. Which, international orders aren't supposed to pay that, right?
>>
>>827542
>less intelligence is a myth since IQ represents nothing

Was they KANGS too? For real though I mostly agree with what you're saying in this post: but claiming IQ is meaningless? Not only would I disagree with that but I suspect if you pick up a German from that time he'd be smarter than a German today.
I'm not entirely sold on this, though. There might be a sort of "sweet spot" between the dysgenics of the welfare society and improved medicine vs technology allowing more intelligent people to have more children than people of average intelligence.
>>
>>827350
Don't ask that. Better questions:
*Do they intend to order more?
*Do international orders have to pay VAT?
*If they are ordering more: when will they be in?

I don't want them provoked into telling Swanndri not to let other people order that design: they may not have made them agree to that.
>>
Not one mention of Swazi. You're all doing it wrong.
>>
>>827542
>calls others technology cucks
>listening to music, watching movies and playing vidya when i have nothing else to do.
consistency is hard
>>
>>826382
I've got a couple of swannie bush shirts and a couple of older style Ruapehu wool shirts. I would never take them on any half serious adventure. The only woollens I use /out/ are socks and an old style MKM t-shirt.

Honestly I don't understand the wool meme. Many brands offer comparable synthetic products with better design, functionality and value.
>>
>>827778
finally something useful! thankyou my friend.
i've had a go at making one before and it's gone okay. i've also made wool jumpers. sewing skills are okay. honestly as far as wearing it in civilisation i would be doing that. i currently wear something similar but its made of canvas (dutch milsurp coat) don't get any comments wearing that so i think ill be fine in an anorak. at the very least i won't be one of those cucks walking around in my puffy kathmandu nylon goose down jacket that makes me look like an orange cloud.
>>
>>827312
Yeah man, it is I
>>
>>827350
Yeah dude if you could ask them that would be awesome.
>>
File: BeavisMagazin.png (1MB, 1607x1331px) Image search: [Google]
BeavisMagazin.png
1MB, 1607x1331px
>>826382
even the trees will laugh at you
>>
File: tedkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.jpg (73KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
tedkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.jpg
73KB, 500x336px
>>827627
relax technologycuck
>>827708
wool is superior.

>>827735
Egypt wasn't a Tribal Society, idiot.

>>827797
IQ doesn't matter in a tribal society. San bushmen are more intelligent than the average modern man, as are all tribal people.

>>827875
I listen to music because there's not a band of bards who can play music in the modern age. There's no travelling actors in the modern age to act out plays. There's no storytellers in the modern age.
>>
>>828258
>wool is superior
Do you have a single fact to back that up you larping little shit?
>>
>>828258
>>827542
>IQ represents nothing
>>828258
>San bushmen are more intelligent than the average modern man
Inconsistency really isn't a problem for you. No wonder you can live with so much cognitive dissonance
>>
>>827708
fleece in itself is far from windproof. the windproof lining would be something separate. as for water resistance fleece does resist the rain to a certain extent but not really. the advantages of fleece are that it is cheap and it dries very quickly. i've been out with multiple fleece and microfleece options including: platatac mountain shawl, vanguard micro fleece and helikon patriot and they all worked great.

but, wool is already wind proof and the water resistance is better + when it finally gets wet it maintains it's insulation property's and keeps you warm. as well as that wool is very fire retardant which is why firemen will often wrap people in burning buildings in wool blankets.
the main disadvantage of wool is that it usually costs more and weighs a bit more too. i've gone out with a few wool options as well the main one being a woolen jumper i made for myself out of a blanket and i took that in a snow storm and i was fine.

now i've solved your stupid useless argument. neither is better both are good. you can both fuck off maybe go /out
>>
>>828258
>San bushmen are more intelligent than the average modern man, as are all tribal people.
Which is why they quickly become wealthy and powerful elites whenever they encounter an agrarian society... oh wait.
But hell, are we surprised to have a literal luddite in an anorak thread.

>>828529
Wool windproofness depends on how closely woven and/or felted it is, which in turn affects breathability and insulation.
As for "warming while wet"... eh, it does it better than cotton, but fleece will be a hell of a lot better merely by virtue of drying faster and absorbing less water in the first place.
The biggest reason to wear wool that I've heard is that many people like the climatic properties (that is, the reaction to body heat, sweat etc.) better and claim it doesn't cause you to sweat so much. Wool absorbs a lot of water, yet loses it's insulative properties pretty late... I've also heard claims of generating warmth when absorbing water (which would imply less effect of sweat and thus more sweating though). I've yet to see a proper explanation how that all fits together, but some people do swear on it.
>>
I just got a vintage barbour wax jacket for a few pounds

how do i determine if i it has to be rewaxed?
will fjällrävens greenland wax be okay for this job? (still have a bar)
>>
>>828679
plus:

less stink than synthetics

you won't catch fire or burn massive holes in it being beside a fire (my goretex trews are full of holes for this very reason)

isn't as noisy as synthetics.
>>
>>828774
Which is why wool as an outer layer is used by bushcrafters and hunters mainly, while hikers only use it for base or mid layers. People know what works for them.
Oh btw. Mr Ludd, wool fabric is the product of an agrarian or pastoralist society using technology. No wool without shears, spindles, looms... and the fine merino you'd probably scratch your ass off without would never have made it out of north africa without civilized societies conducting naval trade on the meditettanean.
>>
>>828816
Not to whom you are replying but one of the things I like about wool is a rougher texture and superior hardiness to many other fabrics.
>>
>>826840
>>826802
>>827727
not bowing down to the superior race of woollen bushshirt wearers
>>
>>829077
> > > > > >
>>
>>828354
Looks better, doesn't smell after 1 day, cheaper if you make it yourself or just get a nice wool coat from a charity shop (yes, you can get a £150 coat like I did, but it's easy to go to a secondhand shop and get one), breathable, more windproof than fleece, quieter when hunting, doesn't burn next to a flame

>>828446
Their intelligence doesn't correspond to IQ. They have low IQ's, but their tracking and hunting skills are superior, and their ingenuity is amazing.

>>828679
San bushmen are more intelligent, they don't want to live very advanced. They are a very independent people. Also society isn't just 100% hunter gatherer and 100% agrarian, there are places where it's 60% hunting and gathering and 40% agricultre.

>>828816
you're a fucking idiot. When did I say that i'm an anarcho-primitivist and dislike agriculture? stop assuming things. Being a Luddite doesn't mean you're an anarcho primitivst.

I simply dislike any society that has more than 90% reliance on agriculture. That means: romans, greeks, modern society

I'm fine with any society that has less than 90% reliance on agriculture. That means European "barbaric" tribes, pastoralist herders who also use hunting, amazon people, etc.
I dislike using merino wool. I use a linen baselayer. Wool isn't necessary for a baselayer, idiot.
>>
File: IMG_20150518_1.jpg (503KB, 669x923px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150518_1.jpg
503KB, 669x923px
>>826382
Just make one yourself from a 100% wool blanket and a pattern from walmart sewing section. Mines been going on 3 years and I love it. In bad weather I have it, surplus hardshell, arcteryx softshell, and bibs.
>>
>>829081
What kind of linen baselayer are you using? I was considering that myself.
>>
>>828704
pour some water on it, if it slides off it doesnt need to be waxed

yeah greenland wax will work. Any parafine will work, preferably with some beeswax mixed in
>>
>>827201
Draefend you're probably the biggest autist on this board so allow me to ask you a question. What kind of clothes did late medieval foresters wear in Western Europe?
>>
>>829081
>I use a linen baselayer.

What is it and why?
>>
Nothing I can wear makes me feel as happy as feeling wool against my skin does, it makes me even happier to know that people will hate me for it.
>>
File: fjallraven-anorak-no8.jpg (136KB, 575x390px) Image search: [Google]
fjallraven-anorak-no8.jpg
136KB, 575x390px
I use this anorak when /out/, one of the zippers on the side is starting to become loose, but i've used it alot and anoraks arent really that much harder to use than normal jackets.
>>
File: confederate-prisoners.jpg (182KB, 1000x922px) Image search: [Google]
confederate-prisoners.jpg
182KB, 1000x922px
>>829091
You look like the taliban anon, just sayin.

That said, I've been seriously considering doing what you're doing. Not OP, but have looked into it before. I even have a US Army surplus wool blanket to spare. Any extra tips or pics definitely appreciated, I'm thinking it might be a decent fall project for when I can't get out.
>>
File: IMG_20150114_2.png (1MB, 675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150114_2.png
1MB, 675x1200px
>>829757
Go into the sewing section at walmart and find a pattern that you like. Get someone to measure you, and use the stencil that comes with the pattern. I added two very deep pockets to mine and a hood. Hoods can be tricky and mines super pointy. Just use chalk on your blanket with the stencils and you'll be fine.
>>
>>829659
>Anorak for 450 fucking Euros
Yeah... no thanks.
>>
File: 1441730105454.jpg (202KB, 1280x752px) Image search: [Google]
1441730105454.jpg
202KB, 1280x752px
>>829452
>>829516
It's just a linen shirt that i got off amazon. If i used the wrong terminolgy then I apologise, but if i'm correct then baselayer means something that goes under all your clothes, right? Long sleeved linen baselayer is fine in all climates.

Why I use it? Linen is breathable in hot weather, it's longsleeved because I don't want wool itching me (wool is a great material, but it's itchy), and because I like linen.

>>829511
Late medieval forester? in summer they would probably wear braies on the legs, and a simple shirt on their body. if it was incredibly hot, they'd probably go shirtless. in winter they'd wear a cloak, or a jacket, with leather gloves and a simple hate. They'd wear boots as well.

The clothing colour would be earth colours to blend in with the forest, mostly greens and browns, and clothes for cold weather or rain would be woolen or fur, and undergarments or clothing for hot weather would be linen. The rich would have had silk, but I don't think most foresters would be very rich. Leather would be used for gloves, belts, boots and for hats coats.

There was a lot more variation of clothing in the later medieval period, with jerkins, jackets, coats, cloaks, braies, trousers, hose, etc.
>>
>>830460
Well I asked because I've never seen a linen shirt I'd consider suitable (I own a few linen button-ups) and also because I'd imagine linen chafing the hell out of my nipples.
>>
>>829999
this looks very cool, but whats the advantage over a normal hoodie?
>>
>>830945
>whats the advantage
You can post pics of your meme jacket in chinese cartoon forums and jerk in a circle.
>>
>>827778
Could someone that has no experience with sewing and making clothing make a decent pull over out of a wool blanket?
>>
>>829659
I'd buy one in an instant if i:
A, had the 450 euros to spend on it
B, lived somewhere that isn't Slovenia, our weather is too nice to ever need something like that
But that being said, it is a sexy anorak and i'd probably still buy one if they had it on sale somewhere or i somehow scrounged up 450 euros for it, until then i'll keep using my Slovenian army surplus jacket/coat thing
>>
>>830945
>>830953
It's 100% wool. It will hold most of its heat while soaking wet. Sewing your own allows you to tailor it to your needs. Since mine only gets used innawoods I added the two deep pockets so I can keep water bottle, cordage, gloves, and ect in them so I don't need a bag. Also use the deep pockets to store tender when I find it while out in bad weather.
And the best part is the wool blanket was free, so roughly $5 for the pattern and I have something that fits my needs.
>>
>>831586
its not waterproof though is it? if you're wet and hot isnt it just as uncomfortable as being wet and cold?
>>
>>831596
Why isn't it waterproof?
>>
>>831596
Wool isn't waterproof, but it holds most of its heating elements when wet, so I stay warm while soaked. If it's a downpour I have a hardshell on with this underneath for warmth.
>>
Just ordered myself this one here
http://www.hikishop.com/german-gebirgsj%C3%A4gers-mountain-troops-m42-wind-anorak-smock-p-517.html

>Simple rugged cotton
>Oldschool look
>Put on some *insert hiking country* flag on it and it doesnt look military anymore at all
>>
>>832243

>all this period clothing
>available in XXXL amerifat sizes

Filthy reproduction garbage.
>>
>>832250

>available in XXXL amerifat sizes

Yeah, because "why should fat people be able to wear outdoor clothing and lose weight by hauling their asses through nature, right?

>all this period clothing
I know its hard to understand but not everybody wants to go outdoors in screaming colors, high-tech materials or >>829659 anoraks that cost around 500 bucks

>Filthy reproduction garbage

Yeah because its better to buy original nazi stuff thats, thanks to collectors, worth several thousand bucks and wear it outdoors - because we all know, that natural materials dont degrade during 70 years in some attic.

Wow bro, you're some bert-ass moron.
>>
>>832251

Calm down fatty. I don't mind if you want to wear your nazi cosplay in the woods.
>>
>>832243
Why would you buy that when you can get an Austrian milsurp GoreTex jacket for fiddy bux?
>>
>>832255
Where did you read that I'm a fatty? I ordered that thing in M fyi. I also may remember you that I wrote >>832243
>Put on some *insert hiking country* flag on it and it doesnt look military anymore at all

It's got nothing to do with nazi cosplay innawoods. Its just that I like oldschool stuff. And since 1930s civilian anoraks aren't reproduced, I have to go the military way.

>>832257
Because I dont like synthetics. I dont walk into nature to drag tons of "plastic" with me.

I dont wanna open that ole discussion "cotton vs nylon" again. Its just what I personally like. I dont want to force it on anyone nor do I need others to agree with me.

Natural materials and nature go hand in hand in my opinion. And opinions are like assholes, everybody got one.
>>
File: 8db.png (54KB, 919x737px) Image search: [Google]
8db.png
54KB, 919x737px
>>832258
Calm down, read
>>827350
>I'll be in the Bushwear shop in Perth

Arborist is an ausfalian. What would you expect him other than shitposting?
>>
>>832258
>Because I dont like synthetics
Well, I guess I can respect that opinion a lot more than the "synthetics all suck!" viewpoint that seems to be the majority of this thread.
>>
>>832261
As I wrote: Everybody's got an opinion. But who am I to force mine down everyone's throat?

People are so sheltered these days that they cannot accept that there are other - perfectly legit - opinions other than theirs. See >>832250 Mr Arborist for example. He's so stuck in his opinion, that he sees every other one as an attack.
>>
>>832259
OP here This is an Australian made thread.
>>
>>832259

Perth in Scotland you silly Billy.

Is anybody bothered about what I found out any more or has the fever for that item passed?

>>832263

Now, if you really didn't detect the light hearted nature of my initial post and follow up to yours, that I assumed to be in a similary joking tone then I am legitimately sorry because I'm really mostly in agreement with you here. Although you seem to be slightly guilty of describing yourself with the whole "assuming everything is an attack" thing but then everybody is, this is 4chan after all! I'll be the first to admit I'm erythromycin much an antagonistic cunt from time to time but nevertheless if we can all be friends again now that'day be dandy.
>>
>>832251
People are not buying these things to go outdoors. They're buying them to cosplay men half their age and weight who'd be looking at these fat old fucks the way japs look at weaboos.
>>
File: icebreaker-realfleece-04.jpg (114KB, 800x474px) Image search: [Google]
icebreaker-realfleece-04.jpg
114KB, 800x474px
Icebreaker is the only wool worth wearing, under a shell if it's wet

>mfw these larping hypothermia cases
>>
>>831086
yeah, I bet it could be done without too much trouble. hunt around youtube for tutorials. most wool is a more forgiving fabric to work with.
>>
>>831586
I made the hood extra deep, cuz I have a big head, made the sleeves extra long because I like the feel. I put a big marsupial kind of pouch on the front in addition to the hoodie style handwarmer pocket.
>>
>>826802
This.

Also acceptable is any of the Ridgline anoraks.

New Zealand is best Zealand
>>
>>832536
Got some pics? Like to see what stuff fellow /out/ makes.
>>
>>832510
this looks like it serves a different purpose, and more expensive than making my own like>>829999
>>
>>832510
mfw when ice break isn't some god tier material they simply started doing high quality woolen under garments first and now everyone thinks they are the best. They're good no doubt. but you will get equal quality products for half the price easily. to me Ice breaker is like kathmandu. slap a big price tag on something and that makes it superior Even though its actually just very expensive regular quality shit
>>
>>832496
Well, "most" people may not buy it to go outdoors but I definetly do. I own guns, I go shooting, I lurk /k/ but I'm not in the slightest into re-enacting stuff.

>>832465
Well, I guess I musunderstood you then.

Two days and they didnt update the order. Still "packing and progressing"

FUCK
>>
>>832888
Then you found just about the only legitimate use of nazi reproduction gear.
>>
File: 1.jpg (85KB, 461x799px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
85KB, 461x799px
>>832935
kek, perhaps. And hey: If its nicely done, thick cotton, neat seams and well fitting, I sure as fuck will give the ole nazi design some nice years inna woods.

And as I wrote much earlier in this thread: In my humble opinion it (pci related) looks like it could be made my virtually ANY *insert scandinavian name here* outdoor clothing brand.

compare my anorak with the Fjallraven No. 8 and you know what I mean.

Hell, I guess if I'd put a norwegian flag patch or some bear claw patch on it, nobody would even think that its a reproduction of a military piece of equipment.
>>
>>832958
>>832935
Here, I honestly see no big differences other than the guy who is playing pocket pool
>>
>>831596
wet and hot = alive and uncomfortable

wet and cold = dead and comfortable

thats why.
>>
>>832958
I like that strap at the back of it. You can pull it between your legs and fasten it on this "belly button" you see in that pic. It sure is nice to have when its windy outside.
>>
>>832961
wouldn't it make sense to wear something waterproof
>>
>>832935
>Then you found just about the only legitimate use of nazi reproduction gear.

It's not legitimate to use it to pick up Japanese girls in Japan and Jewish girls on OkC?
>>
>>833214
adding extra parameters to the argument?

there are lots of variables.

Personally my preferred system is polypropylene base layer over pile/pertex and a poncho for heavy rain.

Merino is great but it also holds moisture for a lot longer.

It's not an either or situation IMO its' a right tool for the job.
>>
>>833732
whats the right job for wool then? the only argument im seeing is that it holds heat when wet, but waterproof top layer would be better wouldnt it?
>>
>>833852
There is no such thing as a perfect waterproof layer. You either have a breathable fabric that lets in some moisture (e.g. gore-tex) or you have something that is impermeable, so you get wet from sweat (e.g. pvc or a impregnated nylon). They are not all created equal, but no technology is without it's detractions. Considering this, and the fact that shit's unpredictable and you could get wet regardless of how great your rain gear is, it's important to have layers that still perform well when wet.
>>
>>833865
so wool underneath pancho?
>>
File: BaltNorjZip-Olive.jpg (21KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
BaltNorjZip-Olive.jpg
21KB, 600x600px
>>833852
For me, low exertion work. I keep a set of merino long johns / tee as my camp/sleeping clothes on multiple day trips. I find it more comfortable and less stinky than alternatives.

IMO pic related is the best compromise for a base layer. Sssen baltic norj pro. Seriously warm, half the price of a merino top, and really well made.

>>833852
synthetics hold heat when wet, too.

Waterproof outer is a red herring. What you need to work out is what YOUR BODY requires to effectively shift moisture away from your body. If you can wick the moisture away rather than have it evaporate you're going to stay much warmer and more comfortable.

Hence, my system is a wicking base layer (that Ussen top in the winter, a poly pro tee in the summer), plus a windproof smock (cotton) for anything up to heavy drizzle, plus a poncho for when its actually wet. My mid layer is generally a pile fleece or similar which dries faster than wool and is warm when wet.

Saying all that I'm gonna pick up a Swanndri Ranger shirt because I want one.
>>
>>834366
*Ussen
>>
>>828529
Wool also smells, and that's a consideration if you're going to be hunting.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.