[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 16

File: MP bag.jpg (57KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
MP bag.jpg
57KB, 880x660px
I need a new hunting / travel / hiking / backpacking backpack. What should I get??

Pic related, it's the one I used for years but it's starting to show it's age with the MOLLE webbing is fraying and the zippers are starting to come off.
>>
File: y u lookin fagget.jpg (126KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
y u lookin fagget.jpg
126KB, 680x680px
>>826153
posted this in ur /k/ thread. maxpedition pygmy falcon ii. its a pretty good backpack, ive had one for about 2 years now. not made in America though, which is a bit of a downside.
>>
>>826153
I have a cabelas instinct frame pack...and it's not bad for multiple nights...but I think a guy could do better for the same amount of money.. (about 350)....there are new packs out with carbon fiber frames that I'd be interested in checking out
>>
>>826153

5.11 rush 72 is god tier
>>
>>826225
>55 liter
are you carrying a fucking sofa in there? thats fucking huge.
>>
>not owning mystery ranch
>>
Tasmanian Tiger Mission Bag.
>>
>>826241
Ha, not him, but I've carried a Large ALICE pack (which is about 60 liters if I remember right) for 10 day hike with a few other people. Filled it mostly with food and water honestly.
>>
>>826241
I typically carry a 75 liter. Nothing special, just fuckhuge sleeping bag.
>>
>>826241

even if you dont plan on carrying enough to fill a pack that size, its nice to have the extra space so you can keep your bag compressed, flat against your back.
>>
File: DSC_1787.jpg (498KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1787.jpg
498KB, 1000x667px
>>826225
this is what I use most of the time. I am happy with it.
>>
>>826549
what fire is that?
>>
File: DSC_1814.jpg (437KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1814.jpg
437KB, 1000x667px
>>826591
its a lightning sparked wildfire
>>
>>826594
mmm.
I was trying to figure out where the pic was taken but I don't think it's the place I was thinking of.
>>
File: DSC_1873.jpg (951KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1873.jpg
951KB, 1000x667px
>>826596
Olympic mountains WA
>>
File: IMG_20160730_161916.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160730_161916.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>826153
Timely thread, I was just down to the local outdoor adventure gear store looking at and trying on backpacks yesterday, so I guess I'm in the same boat as you.

They had some really nice, modern internal frame models like Osprey and Thule and others. I'm in FL where it's hot, so the feature I liked best was the nice gap between the pack and your back to allow air to circulate and keep you cooler.

All of these also had very nicely padded waist bands, apparently the idea is that most of the weight rides on your hips and is transferred down to the larger thigh bones (humerus?) and down to the ground.

Several different sizes available with the waist bands from like 20 some L all the way up to 80 and even 90 L. I'm not even sure what I need yet exactly, but I'm pretty sure I'm going i that direction.

The Ospreys had a lifetime warranty, which was nice bit I was kind of leaning toward the Thule because it has this nice adjustment thing I the back as opposed you the Osprey models which come with different size (S/M/L) straps and other parts. Plus the Thule comes with a rain cover. Not sure about warranty though.

Pic related.

I want to say this Thule 40L was $180, with the other Ospreys in that range up into the $200s. Not too bad IMO for such a nice piece of kit allowing you to carry such volume/weight all day with ease and comfort.
>>
>>826311
I mean, whatever floats (or sinks in this case) your boat. 60l seems severely excessive though.
>>
>>826847
65L it the standard size for extended trips. Definitely not "severely excessive" by any standards except ULers who have lost all touch with reality.
>>
>>826860
I don't UL and carry an 18l pack for extended trips. What do you even put in a 65l pack?
>>
File: 253594_20265_XL.jpg (163KB, 657x1024px) Image search: [Google]
253594_20265_XL.jpg
163KB, 657x1024px
>>826153
I have an Osprey Atmos 50. It has good storage, gear attachments, and can take a beating. I would recommend it for any extended outdoor use
>>
>>827054
Most people pack there sleeping bag, shelter, stove, food, water, clothes in their backpack. I suppose 18L is sufficient if all you need is a bag of dicks for an extended trip.
>>
File: redwing50.jpg (72KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
redwing50.jpg
72KB, 500x500px
The answer is always Kelty Redwing 50

> Cheap
> Proven
> Comfy af

fuck all this tacticool shit
>>
>>827056
I'm the guy that just went Sat and looked at backpacks. I went to Bill Jackson's here in Clearwater, FL. They are legendary place, been there for like 70 years or some shit. Saw them featured in one of those American Express commercials years ago. Anyway, they have tons of extremely knowledgeable staff. One guy told me later that the guy that was helping me is probably the most knowledgeable in backpacks and hiking equipment for hundreds of miles. Seemed about right to me, every time I would try one on, a couple pulls here and there and he had the thing fitting like a glove.

Anyway, point I wanted to make was, that guy told me the Atmos was their #1 seller because of the airflow features in the back. It's hot here in Florida, and sweaty back sucks!

Perhaps you could post a shot from inside, Anon, showing what I am talking about?

>>827078
>The answer is always Kelty Redwing 50
> tacticool shit

Only the first couple posts mentioned tacticool shit. After that, we have been talking hiking backpacks.

I agree with you. Now I must state that I'm not only looking for a pack to go hiking/camping, but also to serve me in any potential happening/SHTF scenario. And in a happening you don't want to be looking like a mall ninja faggot, doing so nly draws more (negative) attention to yourself. Hence I'm looking toward a nice quality (but normie) backpack.

Having said all that, what features differentiate the Kelty from the other similar quality hiking backpacks mentioned here? I honestly want to know, because I'm in the market right now. What do you like about it?
>>
>>827078

>>827319 here again. I just looked up that Kelty, looks like a pretty good pack for the money. Lots of sensible compartments and organization, without overdoing it. Adjustable harness system seems nice and well thought out.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that the air gap / cooling ability is on par with the Thule or Ospreys, but then again those are more money with the Thule being slightly more and some of the Ospreys being twice as much more. Another big difference appears to be the waist strap, on the backpacks I tried on they were super comfortable and clearly very well made. Those Kelty ones don't look as substantial, but then again I'm only looking at internet pictures. I suppose I should go and try and find them somewhere locally to try on and fondle first hand.

One more point, warranty. Thule and Kelty both give lifetime warranty for the original purchaser. Some times proof of purchase / registration is required. None of that with Osprey, they will repair anything they ever made with just about no questions asked it seems. Of course you are paying for that though...
>>
>>827326
yeah get yourself to an outdoor outfitter and shoulder a variety of bags.. really is the best way to shop for these things
>>
I've had the same Coleman outer frame for like 12 years. Never done me wrong. What do you guys think of outer frames?
>>
>>827326
Okay settle down buddy you're going down a rabbit hole...

The waist strap on the kelty is padded af. The 'straps' that connect the mega-padded waistbelt are normal webbing. this part doesn't touch you.

No backpack is going to provide real world "cooling ability".
The kelty is fine in this regard too, as I'm sure the thule or any others are.
If it's a warm day and you're hiking with a loaded pack, you will get a hot back. That's hiking for you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep. They all have a lifetime warranty. Why is proof of purchase even a factor for you? Take a photo of your receipt and email it to yourself.
>>
>>827319 here again

Ok, went to Dick's to try out that Kelty Redwing 50. As I suspected, the waist strap and cooling gap were just not in the same league as the Osprey/Thule.

I read a lot more on them though including a lot of reviews on Amazon and elsewhere. One guy said he had an Osprey and then later on picked up the Kelty for some reason. He said ~"is it as good as an Osprey? No. But it is good enough."

Reminds me of one of the first things Super Knowledgeable Guy from Bill Jackson's said to me: backpacks are like trucks, the more weight you need to carry, the more you need to spend. I didn't fully understand what he meant by that until now (he said the same thing about hiking boots, FYI).

I think there's a lot of truth to that statement. Yes the Kelty is padded, but it's just not the same level of padding and fit as the Ospreys or Thule (maybe others?). Now I'm pretty frugal and know that in many things you are paying for marketing and brand name and not always additional features or quality, but that does not appear to be the case with backpacks. With backpacks it does appear that you get what you pay for. If you don't believe me, just go try on some of the nicer backpacks for yourself. The fit is first rate, and I have no doubts whatever that I could carry quite a lot of weight for hours and hours / miles and miles in comfort.

Having said that, I really started thinking about what I want to be carrying and why. Reminds me of another thing the guy said, some people buy the pack first and then buy stuff to fit the pack and others do it the other way around. I think the latter makes more sense.

I don't even have any gear yet, but from what I have seen almost everything is pretty small and lightweight these days. So I'm not sure how much weight I will really be carrying.

There are a couple other things I don't think I stated yet either. I'm a pretty big guy (4u) at 6'5" but more importantly (insofar as looking at backpacks) with a 21" torso.

(cont'd)
>>
>>827958
Omg calm down nerdlinger

>I don't even have any gear

Just go outside m8 christ
>>
>>827958

Also, for my first pack I wanted something just to trek around "urban hiking" like theme park for a day, going innawoods for the day, and other basic things like that. Basically a nicer version of a basic backpack for those sorts of tooling around and potentially take the place of travel luggage as well (as a carry on). Then maybe eventually use the pack for overnight or 2 day camping / hiking. I figured later on as we continue to get more gear and go on longer and longer adventures, maybe I would get a bigger / nicer pack and then the Kelty would become my gf pack (knowing full well that I would be the pack mule carrying most of the gear and supplies).

So anyway, yeah, given those requirements / thoughts, I have to say that I am leaning toward the Kelty right now for my needs. Your needs may be different. And I may get a nicer / more expensive / larger pack later on, if and when needed. But for what I am looking at now and in the foreseeable future, I am thinking the Kelty will suit me.

One more thing, I think that they used to be like $90, which made them a clear winner. Well, now they are like $125, so still a winner probably, just not as much of a steal as they used to be apparently. I mean, the Thule I posted was only $180. And then you can get into an Osprey for maybe just a little more than that, depending on model.

What really sold me on the Kelty though were all the compartments, the molle on the bottom, and the huge main compartment zipper that allows access to all parts of the bag when it's laying on it's back. For some reason, mfrs (like Thule and Osprey anyway) seem to be moving away from side compartments and I don't know why this is. Maybe they figure you only need to get into your pack when you stop to break camp for the night? I dunno, but I am liking all the options and flexibility and organization of the Kelty.

I must say though that it barely barely fits me, with a 21" torso...
>>
>>827788
>What do you guys think of outer frames?

That's older technology, inner frame is better for a few reasons. Guy at Bill Jackson's said they will shift weight left and right as you hike? I think he called it the kachunk kachunk shuffle or something like that, kek. Also said they carry one model of external frame, said they sell like 2 per year to people who are still stuck in the 70s and have got it stuck in their craw that's what they want and won't listen to good advice to the contrary. Having said that, I have no direct experience, and if it's working for you then by all means rock on.

>>827949
>>>827326 (You)
>Okay settle down buddy you're going down a rabbit hole...

?

> discussing backpacks, in a thread about backpacks
> going down a rabbit hole

If you want to be a dumb ass, and go out and buy the first thing you see, only to realize later that it doesn't suit your needs and then spend more money getting something that does, that's your business, plebe. I prefer to do my homework and purchase once.

>The waist strap on the kelty is padded af. The 'straps' that connect the mega-padded waistbelt are normal webbing. this part doesn't touch you.
>No backpack is going to provide real world "cooling ability".
>The kelty is fine in this regard too, as I'm sure the thule or any others are.

Sounds to me like you don't have any actual experience with the more expensive models at all, and/or you're just a poorfag and/or possibly post purchase rationalization?

Because the Thule and Osprey fit are clearly superior to the Kelty. As I said in my last post, whether or not that is needed (for the money) is a different question. But dismissing them out of hand leads me to believe you have never tried one on in person before.

>>827960
> I lack the mental focus to comprehend anything longer than a tweet or SMS

kys fagit, you are a large part of the problem with society today
>>
>>827972
Good to know. Like I said I've had the thing forever (it was my dad's back in the day too so that explains the 70s tech)
Personally I like it because I can lash thing directly to the frame when I need to.
Also regarding the sway, I figured out how to limit this by getting rid of the buckles and shut and just tying the whole back of the pack to the frame with some hemp cord.
I'll probably use this one until it falls apart and then get an inner frame. But I have a feeling this pack is gonna last another 30 years.
>>
File: S5krLNQ.jpg (794KB, 3264x1371px) Image search: [Google]
S5krLNQ.jpg
794KB, 3264x1371px
>>828240
I just upgraded my kelty external to a kelty internal frame and i will tell you that if i hadnt spent 200 bucks on the new one i would just leave it at home and take my external frame.
>>
File: Capture1.png (1MB, 1292x705px) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.png
1MB, 1292x705px
Anyone see the movie Doomsdays (God tier movie btw). They use a external frame backpack and I was wonder if any of you could identify the one they use.
>>
File: Capture2.png (1MB, 1283x713px) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
1MB, 1283x713px
>>829437
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_vLHI2Qln8
>>
File: Capture3.png (3MB, 1672x921px) Image search: [Google]
Capture3.png
3MB, 1672x921px
>>829438
2 more picks
>>
File: Capture4.png (2MB, 1675x918px) Image search: [Google]
Capture4.png
2MB, 1675x918px
>>829475
>>
File: Capture2.png (238KB, 533x490px) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
238KB, 533x490px
>>829477
Ah ha, I believe I have my first lead after hours of looking at backpacks I believe that symbol in the middle of the pack matches the "Academy" logo.
>>
File: Capture1.png (70KB, 308x316px) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.png
70KB, 308x316px
>>829493
Matches
right?
>>
File: 1392518115_1.jpg (2MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1392518115_1.jpg
2MB, 1936x2592px
Could it be?
>>
>>826204
>maxpedition

Worth the price. Great bag

>Le 5 sheckles in le account

I'm a shill
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.