[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Colorado General/Share some tips?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

Going during the winter intermission to Colorado. I'm about 5 hours from Denver. I've only ever really driven through CO, but I plan to go Colorado springs to hike/camp around but the main goal is Maroon-Bells Snowmass (White River National).

>Will be 20 by the time I leave.
>Taking hiking doggo with me. He's 9 years old. Getting up there but he's still a healthy mutt and good for the travel. He's never sat that long in a vehicle though, but he'll be sleeping in his bed in the cab of my truck.
>Gonna be there approx. a week in total. Gonna be camping every night. I'd like to do a bit of hiking up and then find a nice spot to camp. Plan is to car camp maybe once but dispersed camping the rest of the time.
>Kansas fag so I'm used to hot camping, so first time camping in any serious cold. Any extra tips on insulation to keep my dog and myself (My dog first and foremost) warm in the nights?
>>
File: image.jpg (385KB, 1117x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
385KB, 1117x700px
>>825237
Make sure you stop into Denver. This city is amazingly beautiful.
>>
>>825237
>>Kansas fag so I'm used to hot camping, so first time camping in any serious cold. Any extra tips on insulation to keep my dog and myself (My dog first and foremost) warm in the nights?
>piss before you go to bed
>go to bed warm, get nice and toasty by the fire, douse it then hop right into your bag to get it warmed
>have a meal before you sleep, some carbs and protein
>make sure your rainfly is tight to the ground
>if you're really worried, pile up some leaves on the sides to block more air
It shouldn't get below freezing unless you go way the fuck up in the mountains but it could get a bit nippy. Don't be afraid to wear clothes to sleep in.
>your dog should be fine with a couple good blankets
>>
File: IMG_20160722_132111771_HDR.jpg (5MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160722_132111771_HDR.jpg
5MB, 4160x2340px
CO Wilderness Ranger (interning) here, skip Rocky Mountain park if you hate crowds. Hit up the Arapaho national forest instead, less people and better views.

In the several wildernesses in the forest, all you can camp where ever (except for 50-100ft from lakes, trails, and streams (rules are posted please read them)) so no shortage of camp spots. If you want some nice multiday loops Bowen baker is good, Arapaho pass around to high lonesome and caribou as well. Crater lake is pretty cool to check out but you gotta reserve a spot to camp there.

If you want some really cool hiking, Byers peak has a short loop that's very undeveloped and is barely used, so it's mostly bushwhacking. Lots of fun if you're into that, bring a good topo map and a compass if you do though.

Ask away if you want more suggestions for peaks n' day hikes
>>
>>825282
Yes I would love some more suggestions if you dont mind.
>>
>>825237
No dogs allowed in the majority of state parks there, better check or use National forests.

Use proper fire safety
>>
>>825345
Link to confirm this? Everywhere online says otherwise, that as long as it's a 6 foot or under leash
>>
>>825329
If you're in grand lake the fire tower trail is really cool, good full day hike. Also the East inlet has a really cool waterfall called cascade falls. The Roaring fork is super tough to get up but after that it's pretty gradual. Parika lake is a really cool, any trail there is good. Byers peak is a personal favorite of mine, if you can climb it during the week that's idea.

>>825345
There is some scrambling near the top that might be tough for a dog but worth it. Ute trail in rocky mountain is good (go on a weds or tues), and North supply to Bowen lake is a MUST. Just do it, its awesome.
>>825345
no to answer this >>825411, you can have a dog off leash in any wilderness in Arapaho except indian peaks, I'm not exact on park rules. Just keep it under control because if it runs at a moose it could get it and you killed.
>>
>>826067
>dog off leash in any wilderness
Do not believe this. Dogs are not allowed in state parks regardless of leash. Off leash and you get caght they will take your dog. On leash and you get caught you are facing ejection and stiff fine.
They are also not allowed in most town owned parks. On leash on streets/sidewalks is OK but keep them away from people. If a person complains they were approached you will face fines.
>>
>>826082
>"off leash in any wilderness in arapaho except Indian peaks"
I said only applies in Arapaho, and I am very aware of these rules thanks. And I don't think what you're saying is quite accurate to all areas, I know my local town owned parks allow dogs off leash usually. I certainly don't believe they would take your dog either. Remember, we're talking about Colorado
>>
>>826082
I still am not finding ANYTHING saying that dogs aren't allowed in state parks.
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 500x500px
>>825237
Don't post on /out/ much but I figured I might ask this advice here and this looks like a great thread.

I put a deposit down on a new condo in a devolopment going up. Should be finished up next spring so I want to have some toys there for the trails next summer.

Anybody have a lot of experience with ATVs? I can't decide whether to go with something sporty, something more utility, or even a side by side. My son will be 9 by that time and we want to explore some of the nature trails. Anybody here ride ATVs at a younger age? It scares the shit out of my wife, but I want to get him on a smaller one sooner rather than later so we can enjoy nature and the outdoors in the few weeks a year we can get out there from Maryland.
>>
>>826291
Ditch the training wheels, get dirt bikes instead. Way more useful and fun out here.
>>
>>826296
Tempting, but if my wife and son are out there for the weekend while I'm stuck on the East Coast, I don't want them to kill themselves if they try to take the thing out for a cruise.

Another few years and I need to just move out there full time. My brother and his family recently moved near Denver and I have been thinking. This condo will be a good start, but I definitely want to end up in the mountains and not the suburbs like him. Another 10 years when the damn kid gets to college and maybe we can think about staying there for longer periods of time.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-31-06-18-35.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-31-06-18-35.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
>>825261
>denver
>>
>>826291
>experience with ATVs
Take your fucking noise polluters and stuff them up your MD ass. Keep them out east. We dont want you fucking up our state and peace.
>>
>>826299
>don't want them to kill themselves
What do you call 2 dead Marylanders?
A good start
>>
>>826448
>>826537
Thanks for the help guys. It's like you don't want people like me helping to awaken the economies of these forgotten towns.

I'm excited for this place either way. The development is in a quiet town in Eagle county with a few beautiful rivers. I was out there earlier this summer for a couple days to make sure I really wanted to put the deposit down on this place and I fell in love with it. Now I'm thinking about buying an acre or two in the future and building a home to retire in. Or at the very least use it as an investment since property values around Basalt and Snowmass are going nowhere but up.
>>
>>826547
>people like me helping to awaken the economies
You mean stress the fishing more than it is
Cut into the natural beauty to build your shitty condos where your pretentious peers will come in with their air of superiority.
In other words ruin the charm you say you desire.
>>
>>826547
>t's like you don't want people like me helping to awaken the economies of these forgotten towns.
WE DON'T
FUCK OFF
WE'RE FULL
>>
>>826554
And dump more money into the DNR and these local schools that need it even when we will be using very few of the resources only being there a month or two out of the year.

>>826555
Too late now, this 124 family development is already over 80% completed.
>>
>>826299
Don't worry, she'll be too busy sampling the chocolate in Denver to have time for ATV accidents
>>
>>826389
>newcunt
>>
>>826547
>forgotten towns.
I live in just such a 'forgotten' town. It's not really forgotten at all. Hell, it's almost as much a tourist trap as Knott's Berry Farm.

I for one appreciate what you're doing. The 'wilderness' is already ruined by massive quantities of homosexuals and their dogs, it's getting time for me to move on to somewhere you haven't yet ruined.

so you come in, buy condos. Some faggots build more condos and sell those. Pretty soon lots that I paid $3k for are selling for close to a million.

I rake in my millions from cheap land I bought here before the faggot tide arrived. Then I retire somewhere faggots haven't found yet. Maybe Hawaii, the Big Island seems pretty unspoiled.

perhaps Alaska. Hell, I might become a Canadian. Whatever, it doesn't really matter where I end up. I just want to say thank you for taking this shithole off our hands. It was actually a pretty nice place till you got here, but now you can keep it.
>>
>>826572
We're going to be quite a distance away from Denver. If she can't find it in DC, I doubt she will go all the way to Denver from Eagle County.

>>826586
That's part of the reason I went for this condo. I don't think I can lose in the long term. For 2 beds, 2 baths, a beautiful kitchen, and a view that can't be beat, getting in at the beginning seemed like the right choice. I have been tossing around the idea of building a single family home out there too. I mentioned it earlier, either to retire in, pass on to the family, or at the very least it will be an investment. I want to get settled into this condo next year first before I make any huge decisions like that. At least I can get to know the area a little better by then. But I definitely don't want to wait too long with the trend of property values. There's also the option of selling my home in MD but I'm not sure I want to pull my son out of his school there so I may wait until he's done with high school in another few years. I'm hoping this area won't be like Aspen by then.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.