[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here into motocamping? I find myself wanting to buy an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: motocamping.jpg (29KB, 300x288px) Image search: [Google]
motocamping.jpg
29KB, 300x288px
Anyone here into motocamping? I find myself wanting to buy an old 80s Japanese cruiser, throw some gear on the back, and go /out/. Any tips/tricks/warnings? Tell me your stories so I can live through you.
>>
Loaded my Bonneville and took a trip from San Diego to Moab, Utah. Was an amazing time.

>tips
I like what I did:
-Cargo net over milsurp back on my banana seat
-strap additional gear via the backpack's straps THROUGH the cargo net.
-D-ring other shit to the bag's molle strips also through the cargo net.
-tank bag is a given
-Random milsurp pouch niggarigged to my handlebars.

>tips
-Make sure theres no metal shit on your gear that may chaffe and fuck up your moto's paint. eg: metal buttons or fasteners
-ZIP TIES
-Zip tie the fuck out of everything to hunker down your gear to the bike. Stops stuff from shifting around and being shitty. Buy a pack of 100 or more and go nuts.
-be a ziptie whore each time you reload the bike
-Do all scheduled maintenance early. (get your oil change/tire change done before the trip)
-bring lots of chain lube. You're gonna want a smooth ride.
-Riding through the hot ass desert, when taking a break at gas stations, throw your jacket and helmet in their ice chest outside.
>>
>>825116
That sounds so damn cool. Any pics of the bike all packed up?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>825124
Yeah! found one. This should show you what I was describing. Notice I fit a full sized camp chair on the left B^]
>>
>>825143
a simple dufflebag was put onto those D-rings on top for additional storage, and also zipties down to prevent swaying about
>>
>>825143
Awesome, thanks for sharing! That looks very nicely packed, just the right amount of gear. I can't wait to have an adventure like this.
>>
>>825156
For sure. Its the time of your life. Try to get saddlebags if you can.

After market universal fit stuff, not the overpriced brand name shit
much cheaper and more practical in most cases. Adventure biking aint supposed to look amazing
>>
File: 1343274649593.png (65KB, 735x684px) Image search: [Google]
1343274649593.png
65KB, 735x684px
>Tfw 50cc scooter

Would upgrading it to 100cc get me better acceleration? Top speed isn't my biggest concern.

Also for CVT rollers should I go lighter, heavier or alternating?
>>
>>825196
My serious answer is kill yoursef.
>>
>>825097
One thing nobody talks about about with naked bikes. Is how your first 6 hour ride is gonna be fun. Until the next day. And your neck is all fucked up. From looking over your shoulder a bunch of times in 60-80mph winds. And if you like to stand up because your ass starts to hurt. Ur thighs gonna be stupid sore too.

Get good barend mirrors so you don't have to lean over to one side some to see past ur own shoulders. If ur seat is craptastic rebuild or replace it. You want to sit as upright as possible. straight spine is key to lasting through anything. Oh and a windscreen is helpful for keeping the rain off of u and not having to fight the wind with your neck.

Idk what else to say.. Other then Dont run your oil dry on a trip... Because ur clutch plates are gonna have a very bad time...
>>
>>825409
You too.
>>
>>825731
>unironically riding a 50cc scooter
>wondering if a 100cc upgrade will make a difference
>>
>>825097
Don't buy a vintage bike for a long distance trip. Get something new and reliable, save the vintage bikes for putzing around town.

t. 1976 CB550 owner
>>
>>826030
hipster
>>
File: DSC00270.jpg (85KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00270.jpg
85KB, 512x384px
>>825097
I want one of these. No clue if its a one-off custom made sidecar or if it is milsurp.
>>
>>825992
I had no choice. I had a only a little money and needed to get something to keep my job since they were moving to a different location.
>>
>>825196
Dont put money into a scooter.
>>
>>826030
>1976 CB550
my first bike give or take a year or 2 and a few cc's possibly.
might have been a 74 cb500. great engines, fucking bulletproof. didn't have turn signals on the front but did on the rear.
Could easily pull 80 in 2nd gear.

I do agree with this Anon OP. Unless you know the bike is mint look into < 10 yrs old and garage kept.
>>
>>826110
You should have just bought a bicycle instead of emasculating yourself
>>
How do you make sure people don't steal your gear while you're out hiking ? I thought of biking to national parks but then thought about people just unhooking my panniers and walking off with it. At least a car is a locker in itself.
>>
>>826190
no one steals anything off your bike. I have ridden my bike all over, and no one has ever stolen anything off my bike. I have camped at several national Parks, leaving my tent and gear set up for days at a time. No one has ever messed with my gear.

I worry about my gear at gas stations while I am inside taking a dump more than I worry about it at a National Park.

National Parks are full of outdoorsy white people. Outdoorsy white people dont steal. They especially dont steal from bikers, who are almost always armed.
>>
>>826172
And ride the 12 miles to work? Fuck that.
>>
>>826232
I mean cycling to a national park. Also Canada. Not armed.
>>
>>826236
> 12 miles to work
git gud
>>
>>826240
No thanks. I'd rather look like an idiot to some people I'll never see in my life again.
>>
>>826251
12 miles is an hour if you go at a leisurely pace on a nice bike, which is really no huge deal
>>
>>826108
>All the downsides of a bike without the upsides

cool
>>
>>826289
Thanks but really I'm good with this. I really don't care how stupid I look.
>>
>>826030
Why? There is literally nothing that can go wrong with a bike if you have maintained it properly.
>>
>>826670
It isn't your maintenance that you should be worried about, it is the previous owner's.
>>
File: bike trip.jpg (358KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
bike trip.jpg
358KB, 2048x1152px
Pic is from a couple of years ago. Only an overnight trip down the Great Ocean rd (Victoria, Ausfag here) Everything but the tent fits nicely in the rear sear bag.
>>
>>827096
Another sv on this board in a week.. Amazing.

What helmet is that? Looks a lot like my HJC rpha.
>>
>>827101
Unfortunately this pic is a few years old. This one was stolen about six months ago. I've only just replaced her with a Z750. It's good but not quite the same :-(. Helmet is ans Arai Vector 2. Good for my tiny head but lets in a lot of wind noise.
>>
>>826392
there is nothing wrong with riding a scooter
half of the world does it
i love riding scooter in summer
my longest trip was about 500 km
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.