[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

canada forest survival for total newb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: tmp565985504982466561.jpg (411KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
tmp565985504982466561.jpg
411KB, 1200x800px
I apologise in advance for asking something very basic. Question is what would be a general advice regarding local wildlife. Didn't find a topic after some quick lurking of http://www.campingexpert.co.uk/SafetyAndSurvivalCategory.html

Asking locals seems to be the best way, but there might be others.

Where I'm from we ate all our bears/wolves and boars, I plan to move to Vancouver because of various reasons and most beautiful nature is one of them. However, the potential presence of bears and the likes worries me some. Should I walk around forests with a bear spear? I like to go /out for a day so I'm not going to be very far from urban territory, some 20km as maximum.
>>
>>825051
>bear spear?
If you mean bear spray then yes.
>>
>>825069
I ment a big spear, half as a joke, half as a traditional way to deal with bears.
So, canadian bears can be reliably reppeled by spray like mosquitoes? Interesting.
>>
>>825069
Nobody gets eaten by bears I guess?
>>
>>825073
>So, canadian bears can be reliably reppeled by spray like mosquitoes? Interesting.
Yes because bear spray is JUST like mosquito repellent...

There are viable ways to deal with threat of bears. Education is key. Cooking a safe distance away from your camp, hoisting up your food out of reach, proper trash removal techniques as well as making yourself heard when out and about are all helpful in avoiding an encounter to begin with. In the off chance you come across a bear that is set on charging you I would take bear spray over a spear anyday.
>>
>>825075
I've frequently hiked many areas over the past 8 years or so in both BC and Alberta. Guess how many times I've been eaten?
>>
>>825078
Thanks, I'll be sure to get a spray when I start hiking there and train to shoot with it, I assume I'll find some people who can teach to aim it properly under panic etc.

Agreed, the best way is to never have bear set on charging you in the first place.
Making myself heard makes sence I guess, do I shout from time to time or just walk and rustle leaves and other things underfoot? About camping, I intend to go out without it, just eating some bottled stuff when hungry, going out for some 5-12 hours so I'll not be very far from urban areas. Is a chance of meeting the bear much lower withing 20km distance of suburbs?
>>
>>825079
Statistics there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America#2010s
show that the number of bear kills is close to zero so I'm going to be much safer in the woods with bears then in city with people. Maybe theres some wrong assumpions and statistics show only proven bear kills with much larger number of people going missing?
>>
>>825081
>I'll be sure to get a spray when I start hiking there and train to shoot with it
The main thing is to avoid shooting into the wind if possible for obvious reasons. There are actually a few youtube vids out there that illustrate the best method.

>do I shout from time to time or just walk and rustle leaves and other things underfoot?

I actually sing lol. But yes tromping through leaves/dead fall gives them plenty of heads up generally. I surprised a black bear a couple years ago and he was as scared to see me as I was it.

>Is a chance of meeting the bear much lower withing 20km distance of suburbs?
Sadly the unpredictable bears are the ones that are accustomed to humans and associate them with food. The bears that aren't generally want to avoid you unless feeling threatened or near cubs.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDgBY2PbnO4
>>
>>825078
>>825081
>>825084
>walk loud enough to scare away bears
>walk too loud and attract skinwalkers

it's very nervewracking finding the happy medium.
>>
Please stay the fuck out of our country. We have enough Syrians, thanks.
>>
>>825094
I'm very white - scandinavian type white.
Damn, I thought arabs and the like do not like the cold and thats its actually too far or maybe that bears would eat them all. Here go hopes and dreams.
>>
>>825085
thanks, very good video
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.