[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else /cozymountaintown/ here? I want to live in one but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 19

File: 20080517w_silvertonview01.jpg (312KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
20080517w_silvertonview01.jpg
312KB, 800x600px
Anyone else /cozymountaintown/ here? I want to live in one but haven't found any jobs out west yet
>>
File: valdez.jpg (251KB, 950x475px) Image search: [Google]
valdez.jpg
251KB, 950x475px
I used to stack net on a salmon fishing boat in Valdez, AK. The fishermen and cruise companies are always looking for help out there in the summer. Winters are just dark and cozy
>>
Where have you been looking Op?
>>
>>823591
Get on some compootah job where you can work from home.

Assuming you are in the US, the Rockies are great and all but there are tons of areas in the Appalachians where you can be secluded at home yet less than an hour from a medium-large city for work and other comforts.

Being younger with no kids, I like living in an urban area because everything is so damn close. But if I make it to 50 or so, I think I'm going to try and get some acreage innawoods or onnamountain. It's so easy to get anything you need from Amazon Prime anyway.
>>
I recently did this. It's nice being close to the mountains, but I do miss city things like ethnic restaurants and museums. Also, harder than I expected to meet people around my age. If I do they're only here for a weekend or a month. Only families live here.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1924x2564px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1924x2564px
>>823591
I've lived in a comfy mountain summer camp all summer. Pic related is the view from the lodge balcony where I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I've been the only person up here for most of the time. The camps closed and I'm the caretaker
>>
I just got offered a great job in a small town but it's 60% of my current wage, really a tough choice, have to figure out what I'm going to do before the end of the week
>>
>>823772
What is the cost of living going to be like? Also, can you move up?

If you can move from NYC paying $2k/mo for a studio to WY and can pay $900/mo on a house with a couple acres, then that's one thing. 60% is a big jump though.
>>
>>823767
That looks comfy as FUCK. Which state? Wildlife ever a problem? Do any hunting? How old are you?
>>
>>823778
That was me, don't usually use a trip on this board. House prices are about 1/4 and rent a bit less than half. I have a good apartment down here though so I'm hesitant to give it up. If the job in the small town didn't work out there are very few other jobs and it would be difficult to move back to where I live now.
>>
>>823787
You're over in the Bay area or some shit, right? Where is this new one?
>>
>>823789
Ya. Job is near Nevada City CA
>>
>>823767
>state
Utah
>wildlife problems
Porcupines. They chew on your brake lines and anything else that might have salt on it
>hunting
There's deer in the area but no I don't hunt any. I hunt porcupines. I've killed quite a few with my maul ax and machete. Those bastards deserve it for trying to cut your brake lines at night. They're very territorial so if you let them get away they come back the next night.
>age
34. I love being alone up here but I miss the hell out of my wife and kids. They visit on the weekends so it's not too bad. The rest of humanity can stay in the smelly city for all I care.
>>
File: image.jpg (897KB, 2702x2028px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
897KB, 2702x2028px
>>824057
Forgot pick related. It my beautiful sunsets I enjoy after dinner.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2886x2186px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2886x2186px
>>823767
Also my comfy little apartment I get to live in.
>>
Steamboat Springs Colorado reporting in.

I live in a small ski town. It's two hours off the expressway, so we aren't smothered in tourists. The local population is about 12,000 people in the county, and we can get that many tourists in town on a weekend. It's not so bad most of the year, but 4th of July and Christmas are pretty rough. We do have two short off seasons, which is nice. They coinside with spring (little mud season) and fall (big mud season).
I like living here despite the tourists. It's beautiful, clean, low crime and very family friendly.
>>
bumpers
>>
>>824057
>I miss the hell out of my wife and kids. They visit on the weekends so it's not too bad.

Do you sometimes get the feeling that you might be getting cucked?
>>
are there any cozy old logging or mining towns in vermont?
I'd like to live in one if they exist.
>>
>>825088
Why Vermont?
Colorado is full of them and way cooler.
>>
>>825169
Because it's the next California. The far NE isn't nearly as bad.
>>
>>825169
Why is everyone from CO such a faggot?
>>
>>823591
Leadville, CO here.

you have two options for work-
1. flip burgers and live with 12 random and constantly rotating stoner room-mates that will steal all your shit.
2. Start a business. Probably something to do with construction or property maintenance.

your choice. Enjoy your stay.
>>
>>825198
hypoxia and weed
>>
>>825228
I've actually been there before, cool place but it takes a certain person to want to live there. 95% of high school aged kids would want to GTFO of a place like that.

Were you born there? If not, what age and why did you move there?
>>
>>824626
Well my good friends Tyrone and Jamal said they was gonna take real good care of my wife while I was gone but they would never do anything like that to me.
>>
>>825228
Cheers mate! I live in Leadville, how long you been there?
>>
>>825399
leadville is chill
>>
>>824057
>tfw in salt lake city grinding 2 jobs for the future promise of a mountain home
>tfw the mountains are a 45 minute drive away and I have no car
>homeless people everywhere
>traffic and retarded drivers everywhere

thanks anon, I needed some inspiration
>>
>>825399
>how long you been there?
30 years.
you?
>>
>>825251
I wasn't born here, but my mom's family was from here.

I moved here when I was a kid with my parents. I like the stuff there is to do here so I just sorta stayed.
>>
>>823591
>Silverton
Hey mate, I used to live in Farmington, NM
Went up to Silverton all the time, maximum comfy
>>
>>826820
Really? I always heard SLC was beautiful for a major city and way more civilized than most places.

You should go visit New Orleans or Atlanta. It will probably make SLC seem like a wealthy suburb.

>>827329
How old are you now? You still staying by your parents? Or you had the opportunity to leave but decided to stay?
>>
File: 20160517_083342.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160517_083342.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>823591
Steamboat here
>>
>>826820
>mountains 2 hours away

What? SLC is snuggied right up against some high mountains

>no car

You can take a bus to the edge of town and then hike up to the mountains.
>>
>>824059
Is that the Wasatch or Uintas?
>>
File: trim2.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
trim2.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>827464
It is nice here but I work very close to west valley and the bus route home goes right through the central homeless hangout

>>827472
2 jobs and 45 minute drive. I was mostly referring to the ski mountains I guess, which are a bit of a haul.

I've hiked the mountains behind the U a bit (pic related) and those were nice but not very challenging.

I'd prefer not to take the bus after hiking

All in all once I have a car and ski season gets going I'll be a lot happier
>>
>>827464
>How old are you now?
I'm in my 40's. Nope, haven't lived with my parents since I was 17. They hate it here, they moved off as soon as they could.

Probably because my mom was born and raised here, and like you said most local kids can't stand the place.
>>
>>827685
That's cool. I think about going somewhere more quiet one day just to live more simple but idk if I would want to raise kids in a place like that. Could be good if you raise them right but you don't want them to get too bored in their teenage years. I live in a fairly urban area now and it's nice because everything is so close and convenient but I don't even need that in my life. I would be down to go somewhere like northern GA with mild winters and still within an hour of Atlanta or possibly Carolinas.
>>
>>827698
Yeah, I gotta admit I found it too small and boring as a teen. I took off for a few years with the Marine Corps and then did college on the front range. I always considered it home though.

I've got a couple kids, I just make sure we're always busy doing /out/ things. There's way too much to do if you like getting out in the woods.

But then I own a condo in Florida and a boat and slip in California so I get we get out of town fairly often. I expect I'll retire in Hawaii when the time comes. Maybe my kids will come with me, maybe not. But Leadville doesn't offer much as far as education, career and experience go. I think it's healthy to get out of a small town when you're young. That's the time to travel and do things since it's hard to afford it once you've got a family.
>>
>>827470
steamboat mountains are east coast tier
>>
Do murder mysteries, cults, and conspiracies actually happen in small mountain towns ala Twin Peaks?
>>
>>827446
Not OP but yea, everything in the San Juan mountains is fucking godly and id kill a bum if I could live even just outside Durango
>>
Kinda. I live in Pacific Grove, California. Not really in the mountains, more just hills, but the mountains are a very short drive away if you dont mind the fires that are currently eatin em up. It's quite nice here tho, super quiet, lotta wildlife, nice businesses, constantly mild climate, cheap weed, and Monterey is the neighboring town boasting an awesome and active music scene and generally being a super chill place.
>>
>>827885
>tfw season 3 soon
I hope it's as comfy as the first two seasons
>>
>>824059
i envy you, i really really do.
>>
>>827891
>kind of
>except for it's not in the mountains, it's on the ocean nowhere near any mountains
>and it's not small
>or cozy
So the extent of your similarity is it's a town. Inb4 I don't know what Pac Grove is like, I stay there when I go to races at MRLS multiple times a year, it could not be further from a cozy mountain town.

For cozy mountain towns in CA check out Sierra City or Downieville, or the best named town in the world, Rough and Ready
>>
Revelstoke, BC checkin in
>>
File: IMG_20130309_161852.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130309_161852.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
Flagstaff, Arizona is pretty nice. Plenty to do in, and the University provides a never ending source of people, old and young.
>>
>>829434
how is the skiing?
>>
>>823712

Buying a few acres of land right now would not be a bad idea.
>>
>>827888

>tfw live in durango and only pay $400 a month
>>
>>829406
How do you find it to live in?

I have visited, and am toying with the idea of moving to the area in a year or two.
>>
File: Photo on 5-08-16 at 11.23 PM.jpg (80KB, 687x592px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 5-08-16 at 11.23 PM.jpg
80KB, 687x592px
>>829434
i was there once in the summer for a week or so. as a kid from new england i felt like i was on mars. fuck such good memories. i don't care where you're from and how glorious it is, when you go somewhere completely different it really sticks with you.

pic related - they had these cool scorpion paperweights at the hotel gift shop and i didn't have enough money to buy one, but my mom secretly bought one and gave it to me the next christmas when we were sitting under 3' of snow in MA and i've kept it for over 20 years now. heh, silly.
>>
>>830711
I was gonna say that those aren't uncommon in the slightest but the story behind yours is cute
>>
File: Meeteetse, WY.jpg (487KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Meeteetse, WY.jpg
487KB, 1920x1080px
>>823591
This is a five minute drive from Meteetsee, WY.
>>
>>834497
Cozy.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (64KB, 639x639px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
64KB, 639x639px
So i went on zillow to look at home listings in the town that I grew up in. Holy shit.

Modest homes start at like $400,000 and the area has literally no economy. What the fuck durango.
>>
>>835304
Goddamn fucking calishitters and other immigrants driving up property prices. Pretty much anywhere "trendy" and/or beautiful in Colorado is expensive as hell, and it gets worse the closer you get to Denver. The poorer/shittier/uglier areas (out east, Sangres, San Luis valley, etc.) are still relatively decent with a few beautiful little towns here and there but people just keep coming and coming and coming. Denver is honestly just land-locked Seattle at this point.

I love it in Colorado but I'm saving up to GTFO to somewhere between Whitefish and Kettle Falls because I've seen the future of this state and it's Hillary bumper stickers in front of a Whole Foods.
>>
File: IMG_1821.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1821.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
sort of
>>
>>836390
I didn't know Austraila had cozy mountain towns
>>
File: 2katoomba_aerial1.jpg (155KB, 960x618px) Image search: [Google]
2katoomba_aerial1.jpg
155KB, 960x618px
>>836392
I know you're just joshin' but they actually kinda do
>>
>>836409
Is that New Zealand or some island town?

>>836344
>>835304
I did some Googlin' on Durango, and I'm suprised that place is getting so hot now. It looks beautiful, but not really a ski town. It's funny though because looking at the demographics on Wiki you can tell it's kinda fucked with close to a 20% poverty rate yet the median income isn't that low. So I'm sure there's lots of regular locals while the yuppies are moving in and causing expensive parking downtown and other bullshit.
>>
>>836414
Yep.

If you saw the last season of South Park, that's pretty much exactly what happens.
>>
>>836414
that katoomba, an hour or two west of sydney at the edge of the blue mountains
>>
File: 1459027781396.jpg (80KB, 500x483px) Image search: [Google]
1459027781396.jpg
80KB, 500x483px
>>829763
So much this.

The price of everything so expensive where we are, grocery prices rising every time you turn around, housing bubble, leading to ridiculous house prices, and subsequently property taxes, and on and on.

House prices are like 4-5x median income right now, which I think is the highest they have ever been. Wages have practically stagnated the last 30 years while many other things just keep going up and some have skyrocketed.

The American dream is going out the window and I'm so sick and disgusted by it. America today is like a pyramid scheme, and most of us are on the bottom. Or put another way, it's almost like a cleverly disguised form of slavery. Work work work work 50 hrs a week or more just to pay your bills and live and never get ahead or save any money or anything. Just work your whole life away and end up with nothing to show for it, all you did was increase the wealth of a few rich bankers that hold your mortgage note, the corporations that grow your food, and the government who take so much in taxes and then blow it on shit you don't approve of anyway like killing thousands of people and a whole bunch of other nonsense.

Alright now that I got that out if the way (yes I feel a little better) I will get on to the reason I decided to reply.

We are looking at buying 5 acres in North Florida, you can still get land there for like $5k per acre. $25k, 5 ac lots out in the country, few thousand down, $199/mo payment, no credit check required.

I am going to build a house and a barn and we will have some chickens, cows, etc. Some solar panels and a diesel generator. Grow some of our own food. I was thinking about brewing bio diesel and maybe selling the excess for cash once I got good at it. Try and be as self sufficient as possible.

You know, 5 Acres and Independence.

I also think that we are going to see Weimar Republic levels of hyper inflation in our lifetimes, and maybe even relatively soon (especially if Trump wins). But there

(cont)
>>
File: americanpatriot.jpg (37KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
americanpatriot.jpg
37KB, 500x375px
>>836454
(cont'd)

are any number of potentially scary situations that could happen anywhere in near to mid range future where it would be nice to have some land and independence, and be far away from major cities. Because in the event of a happening, there will be mobs of hungry people and it will be much worse in cities.

Anyway, that area is not really mountain town, I just wanted to throw my .02 in about how good of a time it is right now to buy some land, especially a little bit (or a lot) out in the country right now. There's lots of reasons but these posts are probably too long already as it is.

Bill Gates agrees with me, in my search for land in Florida I've learned that he has been snapping up a lot of farmland here in the state.

Sorry to hijack, it's just a really important topic so I wanted to throw it out there. There are a lot of smart Anons, I hope you guys are also making preparations so that you can survive what's coming and emerge afterward and repopulate.
>>
>>836464
Bill Gates is just getting ready for MicrosoftLand, a more futuristic Disneyland.
>>
>>836469
Yeah it did remind me of the old stories of Walt buying up all the land in central Florida way back when, he did it the same way through a bunch of different holding companies, etc. so people wouldn't start getting wise to who was buying or why and also to prevent the prices from going up. Same thing Bill is doing now. Of course, people did get wise to both of them at some point.
>>
File: 1n3a7106.jpg (271KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1n3a7106.jpg
271KB, 1500x1000px
>>836392
There are quite a few centered around the Snowy Mountain region of NSW and quite a bit of Tasmania.
>>836409
Blue mountains/Katoomba/Leura/Jenolan is definitely comfy. Not particularly mountainous though.

Kosciuszko National Park is gorgeous, looking for land out Cooma/ Monaro way at the moment.
>>
whatever you do OP don't go to Nevada it sucks there.
>>
>>829756
Great. Relatively cheap tickets, frequent snow storms (usually) and now they're adding a new lift. Not a long drive from Flag either.

>>830711
Yeah I love it up there. You should spend a winter there.
>>
>>836454
>>836464
Oregonian here. I grew up with 10 acres, with cows, goats, horses etc. If you want to do what you say you do, then I wouldn't do it on any less than 10 acres. Especially with having to rotate the cows from pasture to pasture to keep them from picking the land clean.
>>
>>836623
Yeah, I've realized very quickly that ranching is very land intensive. On 5 ac we would probably only be able to keep one cow I figured. But that would still be ~1000 lbs of beef every 2.5 years.

Unfortunately, by the time you buy the land, build house, barn, equipment (generator and/or solar panels, tractor maybe, etc.) buying more than 5 ac might just be a little out of our budget. We wanted to live well within our means so we don't have to spend all our lives trading hours for dollars.

So we figured some combination of chickens and other stuff. And maybe the bio diesel thing, that doesn't take a lot of room. But honestly I'm still brainstorming and researching and doing my homework.

Believe me, I would love to have 10ac or even more, it opens up a lot more options for farming and ranching, but that would be slightly beyond our means right now and that just means a lot more work to pay it off, etc. which is not what we want to be doing.

If we could find land any cheaper somewhere, that might be possible, but everywhere with the super duper cheap land like AZ (and elsewhere?) seems to have other issues like water.

I'm still looking around though. If anyone is aware of any better ideas / places, I'm all ears. Still in the research phase, we are working and saving up and looking to do this in 1-2 years, hopefully we can make it that long before economic or other collapse.
>>
File: 13751046012391.jpg (24KB, 230x240px) Image search: [Google]
13751046012391.jpg
24KB, 230x240px
>>836623
Oh and another idea I had was, after getting to know some of the neighbors, offer to graze my cattle on their land. It would save them the expense of mowing, and allow me to raise a bigger herd, as I would rotate them around to various plots of land. Win-win. Like a sort of poor man's landless ranching, until I got going more, then maybe I could purchase some more land later on.

> bonus upside: mfw I'm now a no shit modern literal cowboy
>>
File: trintrail6.jpg (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
trintrail6.jpg
82KB, 640x480px
I used to live in a mountain town, wasn't too cozy. Russians and Mexicans moving in every week to grow pot industrially, fucking up the rivers, trees, starting fires, lots more. With them the junkies they employed came, started robbing banks, gas stations etc. Still meth and heroin are fucking huge.

Still leagues better than a city, though.
>>
>>825088
The NEK has the most small towns and is the quietest, but all of N NE has small towns. I lived out west, and like hte east (VT here) more.
>>
>>823712
Trying to get this done right now. I like living in a midsize city ~2M people right now, but I visit miscellaneous CO, NM, UT, mountains as often as I can. A nice work from home tech job in somewhere I can do cable + decent 4g WAN failover and have the beautiful hiking + mountains + winter right outside my door would be ideal.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.