[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jetboil Minimo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Hi /out
I just got a Jetboil Minimo for my birthday. I played around with it last night and you can make boiling water really quick. What I need is some advise on what meals to cook with it and what meals to prepare from home. I normally camp or hike for 2-3 days.
>>
http://www.theyummylife.com/Backpacking_Food
>>
Looks good will have a read
>>
100 dollars for a stove. R u kidding me. I would rather bring my own tank of LPG and cook with my own stove
>>
File: 1467704263975.jpg (182KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1467704263975.jpg
182KB, 2000x2000px
Is there seriously a reason to buy an expensive ass stove like this over a 10 dollar lightweight thing like this?
>>
>>822702
In short, fuck yes. I cant speak for jetboils, ive only ever had an msr windboiler and reactor, but it boils faster, uses fuel better and is lighter than a stove and a pan. It also works in 60mph winds, which is cool
>>
>>822626
Like i said a birthday present not my purchase hahaha
>>
>>822702
I also recently was gifted a minimo. I like it a lot. My previous stove was exactly like the pic you posted. A $10 etekcity stove off amazon.

The $10 stove worked for sure, but after only about 15 uses, the legs loosened up and now when my water starts to boil, the whole thing shakes and almost knocks my pot off. It also leaks if you don't have it on just right. For $10 it's just fine, but expect to just get a new one every year.

The minimo boils in about half the time, and what what I see, uses much less fuel. It's also pretty nice how it all stores up together, and has a nice insulated pot.

Gander had the minimo on sale a while back for like $90. You can get other jetboils even cheaper. Now take the $10 amazon stove, a $15 Stanley Cook pot, and $5 for some insulation around the cook pot and the jetboil is only $60 more, and doesn't have to be replaced every year. It'll also save you fuel, and is just plain nice to use.

It's not for everyone. I like mine a lot, but no problem using an etekcity stove and a Stanley pot, the minimo is just a little higher end.
>>
>>822702
My jetboil was a gift also and it's a very handy tool. I would never have spent that much on it. They are not on sale much and finding a used one is very difficult.
>>
File: 33835-1.jpg (44KB, 237x360px) Image search: [Google]
33835-1.jpg
44KB, 237x360px
Ive never used a jetboil but i own a MSR Pocketrocket and its the tits. Boils water in no time and is fucken tiny. I think the MSR kids have bought a smaller version now as well.

Any way on to food. I'd only recommend using these things to boil water for dehydrated meals. Heating anything else but water is just wasting gas. Theres a mixed bag out there, some are ok and plenty taste like shit. Loads are super salty so look at the nutrition label.

For lunches, I usually just cook a pack of dehydrated rice and add a stock cube or 2 for flavour. I'll take 3 or 4 different flavour stock cubes with me so I don't get bored. Awesome cause they take up no room at all.
>>
>>822702
because i'm not a bitter poorfag

>>822967
owned mine for two without any issues... as long as you're not a ham fisted gorilla you shouldn't have a problem
>>
>>823520
Why dont you open it?
>>
>>822414
I bought it. I love it. It's not just for boiling water. You can cook soup and beans and shit. It's decent. I think it was worth it.
>>
Quality item expecially if your getting into your ultralight hiking
>>
>>822967
>Jetboils have to be replaced every year
This summer I replaced the piezo on my jet boil after 5 years and dozens of trips. 7.00 USD.
Are you a full time meth cook?
>>
>>822702
It boils water faster and is more efficient so you have to carry less fuel
>>
>>822414
What I usually do is

>breakfast
Instant oatmeal or mashed potatoes

>lunch
Crackers or flatbread, cured meat or peanut butter, chocolate

>dinner
Freeze dried meals, or instant soup plus couscous or instant rice

>snacks
Peanuts, craisins, raisins, chocolate chips, sunflower seeds

Cooking complex stuff with heavy ingredients or tools is just too much of a pain in the ass
>>
>>822414
Soup, smashed potatoes with milk (both come in powder), noddles and all kind of cereals are a start.

>>822702
If you have more than 20 meals to cook, it is lighter because you save gas. If you are 4 people and make a 2 weeks expeditions, you have to cook 56 meals. It will weight your pic, a cooking set and 16 cans or OP pic and 8 cans.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.