[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

REMOTE PENNSYLVANIA CAMPING

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: PennMap2.jpg (101KB, 400x246px) Image search: [Google]
PennMap2.jpg
101KB, 400x246px
A few friends and I are planning a camping trip in 2 weekends. We want to go somewhere remote, mountainous, sparsely populated and a clear night sky. Not really looking to rent a camp site, would much rather prefer hiking into the forest and setting up a tent. We're willing to drive anywhere within about 3 hours from Harrisburg. Any ideas?
>>
Huntingdton is really nice in PA, lots of natural trout streams and woods. No light pollution you can spot satellites in the sky at night. I have a hunting cabin up there.
>>
>>821841
Would we be able to park our cars on the side of a road somewhere in the county and wander off into the woods to set up camp and be undisturbed for the weekend?
>>
Yeah plenty of places for that. Check out whipple dam state park or raystown lake
>>
File: adks.jpg (100KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
adks.jpg
100KB, 1024x685px
PA is awful for camping. Suck it up and drive 4 hours to the Adirondacks.
>>
>>822167
You'd never be to the Adirondacks in 4 hours from Harrisburg. Its nearly 3 hours just to the NY state line, the another 2 minimum to anywhere in the Adirondacks.

>>821832
OP you should check out the Hammersley Wild Area. It's in the central part of the state. It's the largest area in PA without a road, so it's definitely remote enough for you. Look into hiking to what's called the Hammersley pool. It's a natural swimming hole and backpacker magazine called it one of the 3 best swimming holes in the country. You'd have a spot to park at the trail heas, and I believe you follow the susquehannock trail. I haven't done the hike myself yet, but I plan to next month.

>>822165
Raystown lake is beautiful, we used to rent a houseboat for a week every year and live on it, it was a great time. I've been there at least a dozen times. I'm not sure about dispersed camping around there though.
>>
KORN
>>
>>822167
>PA is awful period.
FTFY
>>
>>822200
Might be doing this. Don't they call Potter County "God's Country"? I hope the sky is dark enough because SWIM may or may not be planning a 250ug acid trip at night ... ;)
>>
File: aa amp.jpg (603KB, 2448x2391px) Image search: [Google]
aa amp.jpg
603KB, 2448x2391px
>>822200
>You'd never be to the Adirondacks in 4 hours from Harrisburg. Its nearly 3 hours just to the NY state line, the another 2 minimum to anywhere in the Adirondacks.

You're right, forgot how south H-burg was. Even so, it's well worth the drive.
>>
>>822885
Coming into Potter County from NY state there's a big "Welcome to God's Country" sign.

It's a pretty area.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.