[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I have a tent for camping, do I really need a sleeping bag?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: almiros3.jpg (136KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
almiros3.jpg
136KB, 720x540px
If I have a tent for camping, do I really need a sleeping bag?
>>
>>821757
Yes, yes you do. Or at the very least a very warm blanket large enough to wrap your entire body in. If you've never slept outdoors, know that it can get very cold at night even during summer. Especially if you are sleeping directly on the ground. You should also get a sleeping pad of some kind for additional insulation.
>>
>>821757
Why would you need a tent?
>>
Order of importance is usually bag, pad, tarp, then tent.
>>
>>821757
Went camping this summer. Had 40 degree bag. Woke up at 5 every morning because it didn't keep me warm enough.

Tents only keep you dry and stop the bugs.
>>
>>821777
>Dumbass.

A bag and a pad ain't shit when you're soaked through and laying in mud.
>>
>>821757
I would have to be very drunk to be able to sleep without any kind of cover around me, its very necessary for comfyness and warmth obviously.
>>
Speaking of tents, my tent recently broke. I was thinking about getting a tree tent next. Maybe a Tentsile Connect.

Has anyone used one before? Are they worth having? I'd definitely love the lighter weight and ability to get off the ground, but I've never tried one so I'm not sure if I should drop 450 bux on one.
>>
>>821821
>tree tent
>Tentsile Connect
i think that shit weighs alot when you include all the suspension and tie straps
Wouldn't think it would be good for any long distance backpacking. maybe for a real short hike or car camping
>>
>>821757
It really depends on where you are and the weather. Where I live you can't sleep under a blanket or in a sleeping bag. Even sleeping in a tent is murder. It is extremely hot and humid here at night.

Everyone here just lies around camp, tents are just for privacy like changing and fucking. Some times just being passed out in the grass with spiders crawling all over you is the only way to stay cool enough to sleep. It helps if you've been drinking then you don't care about the spiders.
>>
If you have pants, do you still need boxers?
>>
>>821983
shit analogy. better would be
>i have a bed to lie on, do i still need a mattress?
>>
>>821812
Shelter is higher on the list than a bed, but a bag is higher on the list than a tent. It's a matter of what's easily replicatable, and if you don't have a proper sleeping arrangement then you're going to have some pretty huge
a) discomfort and
b) losing massive amounts of body heat through the ground
problems. So yeah. That's spoken like someone who doesn't camp.
>>
>>821989
> shealter > tent
> bag > bed

Change the words all you want to and put your pad and bag in the mud to get soaked through and talk to me about it while I'm sitting in my tent.
>>
>>821821
They're extremely heavy.

Just get a hammock and tarp.
>>
>>822107
>Just get a hammock
Meme needs to die already.
>>
>>822150
>tree tent
>not a hammock
>meme
>wtf
>you are now breathing manually and lost the game.
>>
If I have a house, do I still need a bed with blankets?
>>
Don't forget how cold it can get up in a mountain. Bring it
>>
>>821757

If temps are forecast to be in the 50s then yes.
>>
Hammock and a heavy blanket is all you need for sleeping outside. Don't know why you would waste your time on a tent.
>>
>>822250
Tarp, if you like midnight storms...
>>
>>821779
>Tents only keep you dry and stop the bugs
bullshit
a tent keeps you warmer too
>>
>>821821
My friend loves his tree tent, but has trouble finding places to put it.
>>
We have Google Earth to know what to bring for the terrain, and brains to choose what to bring for the weather.

If tenty area, bring tent with appropriate accessories. If hammocky area, bring hammock with appropriate accessories.

Hammock + rain fly can be Very Nice during storms. Hang 'em high and you & gear stay dry while your tent-centric companions get soaked and/or get their shelter blown away.
>>
>>821762
I can attest to this. Froze my balls off when camping with buddies in a 6-man tent on a TEXAS spring night. It was beating down sun in the 95 degree Fahrenheit range all day, and all I had was shorts, a T-shirt, and a lightweight sleeping bag at night, not expecting it to get any colder than 70 or 80 degrees.

Come nighttime and somehow the temperature has dropped 50+ degrees and I wake up at 3 AM fucking FREEZING. I was so fucking cold I didn't even want to move. I legitimately considered the possibilities of hypothermia.

It was fucking Texas; I hadn't brought any hoodies, jackets, sweaters, or any warm clothes of any sort. All I had were some changes of T-shirts, underwear and socks. What did I do? I layered on all those fucking clothes and I zipped my ass up almost entirely in my sleeping bag and willed morning to come.

Lesson learned: Bring warm clothes just in case.
>>
File: Adirondacks_5-2016_74.jpg (412KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Adirondacks_5-2016_74.jpg
412KB, 900x600px
>>821821
I have four tree tents and they are excellent. I am working on making one myself as I have a few preferences. In ten years time after ultralight and bushcrafting memes die down, and the old generation of tent dwellers die out, everyone will be in treetents. So comfortable. All the advantages of a tent AND a hammock. Warmer too, so you don't need to pack a sleeping pad or sleeping bag that's how it makes up for being slightly heavier.
>>
>>822861
Well yeah considering its a wind shield.

But you think the air inside is going to stay a cozy 75 when the temperature starts dropping?
>>
>>822159
When I bought my house I slept on the floor for a good 6 months.
>>
>>821757

Travel light = Freeze at night
>>
>>821757
>if i have a bed for sleeping, do I really need blankets?
>>
>>823210
except when you are in an area where there are no trees, fuckwit
>>
>>821757
Depends on where you live and time of year.

Down here in south Florida you almost never need anything other than a sleeping pad.
>>
>>823654
and a screen over the Lanai

........d e m B U G S
>>
>>821757
Blankets didnt work in the 14th century. So yes.
>>
>>823643
That's the beauty of the treetent over a hammock, is that you have a perfectly functional- actually better than conventional tent when you choose to not hang. It really is the best of both technologies.
>>
>>823643
it's ok if you are poor, the price is coming down. The more people purchase and use these tents, the cheaper they will become!
>>
>>822085
Why is your bag not waterproof? Do you have like a $15 coleman bag from walmart or something? I've slept on mud and snow and in the rain with no tent just fine.
>>
>>824174
>waterproof sleeping bag
I see you like to spend your nights damp and uncomfortable.
>>
File: 1469550666588.jpg (66KB, 450x472px) Image search: [Google]
1469550666588.jpg
66KB, 450x472px
>>824174
>waterproof sleeping bag
>>
>>824520
>bivy
>>
>>824523
This implies he would consider use a bivy inside a tent, which raises further questions.
>>
>>821816
My AC is shitty in my house, so i sleep naked and without any covers when it gets about 70+ degrees Fahrenheit. And I only add a sheet at most, socks if my room hits freezing during the winter.
But i love the cold and being cold
>>
>>824520
I know the army's sleep system has a waterproof sleeping bag cover, it keeps your bag warmer too
>>
>>821757
You need insulation from the ground, and covering your body if you are not wearing suitable clothing according to the weather you are in. Not a sleeping bag per se
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.