[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hunting General - Good hunting calibers for deer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: ftd-freakshow.jpg (54KB, 900x484px) Image search: [Google]
ftd-freakshow.jpg
54KB, 900x484px
I'd throw this on /k/ but it's more guns and military, whereas hunting is an outdoor activity.
>Anti-guns do not enter

I want to start deer hunting. I'm 19, almost 20 and have never been hunting because of my dad's poor health when I was a child. He's better now, and I might start hunting with him.

I've got 8mm Mauser, 303 British, and 7.62x54 to work with.

What would be the best out of those three to hunt deer with?
>>
Whichever has the best bore and you can find commercial soft points for. They'll all work just fine with good ammo.
>>
the 303 looks likes its close to a 30-30. thats a good size for deer.
>>
>>821124
Whichever one you shoot best.

Unless you reload, the commercial ammo available for all 3 is equally lousy.
>>
>>821146
I've been wanting to get into reloading, but as a college student I don't have enough time to shoot unless if I'm in my hometown which is once ever few weeks. Commercial has been just fine with me for my trips to the range, but does it translate differently to hunting?
>>
>>821124
Find soft points and use the one you want. All three will work fine.
>>
>>821124
I fucking hate deer breeders. Frankendeer are so fucking ugly. Who would want to hang that freak on their wall?
>>
>>821124
Which rifle is the shortest? Odds are you'll be hunting from a stand, and trying to maneuver a super long rifle wont be fun.
As for ammo, you cannot use full metal jacket ammo for hunting. So remember that when loking at ammo.
>>
>>821276
My shortest would be my Lee Enfield, as it is cut down to carbine length. The next would probably be the Mauser, then the Mosin Nagant.

My enfield is the only one without a scope though. But I like the idea of hunting without a scope anyways, even though I've been told it's a whole different ballpark.
>>
>>821124
All okay. A .308 .30-30 are what Ive used all my life and would recomend. Also .50 cal black powder is fun
>>
8mm but shot placement is tbe most important thing so honestly whatever you are more comfortable with.
>>
Nugget food is cheapest. You can still buy spam cans.
>>
>>821333
FMJ is not allowed for hunting. And you probably wouldn't want to use it even if it was. A pencil size hole in a deer is a recipe for a lost animal.
>>
>>821124
Are you sure you can even use a rifle during deer season? Several states like Illinois, Iowa, Indiana and portions of others like Minnesota are shotgun only.
>>
>>821124
.700 gyrojet
>>
A little class, please:
>6.5x55, .257 Roberts, .348 Win, .375 Win, .444 Mar, .243 Win, .35 Rem, .300 Sav,. 358 Win, .250-3000 Sav

Hard mode:

>.218 Bee, .25-35, .17 Rem, .222Rem

Any others?
>>
>>821124
Mauser.

Your nugget isn't a bad option either.
>>
>>821124
The. 303 if its still in good nick. Weve got one in thr family that served in the first world war and still is lethal and reliable.
>>
>>822472
> hard mode
.225 Win
>>
File: hunter helper with field golden.png (163KB, 1764x1746px) Image search: [Google]
hunter helper with field golden.png
163KB, 1764x1746px
Does anyone have or use a hunting dog to flush birds? I go grouse hunting and my doggos relatives are hunting dogs so I'd love to combine the two. Right now my doggo is just a spoiled family pet.
How/where did you train your dog? Any recommended things to read or watch?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.