[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Swiss Army Knives: Which is best for what?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 12

File: victorinox_swiss_army.jpg (28KB, 615x615px) Image search: [Google]
victorinox_swiss_army.jpg
28KB, 615x615px
Hey Sc/out/s,

I'm somewhat new to being out and am looking for a few different knives for different things and thought, since they were not weapon related, you would be the people to come to. I'm often /out/ ( mostly walking through my city as I have no need for a car given public transit; sometimes in nature ) and would like to buy a few different SAKs ( Swiss Army Knives ) based on where I'm going. I'm not interested in SwissTools ( due to their size but I'd gladly use one at work ) or hearing about competitors ( I've already looked through Buck, Wegner, Opinel, etc. ) as I'm looking for a few knives that are both versatile and petite.

For this conversation we can rule out the Hunter Pro ( I like it, would love to know more about it but it lacks options ) along with the Sentinel ( has the toothpick and tweezers but I'd like more options and it has a low build quality ) and focus on the more traditional models.

One knife I like the thought of is the Explorer if I know I'm going to be in natural areas. I think the magnifying glass and tweezers could work well together for removing ticks and splinters. I'm not sure if that is overkill or not. The Forester knife is another one I've thought about for this purpose.

While I wouldn't say I do Urbex( if there were more places around here to explore I might though and the way the economy in my area is more places like that may become available ). I was thinking the Pioneer X might be a good urban or EDC.

I plan to get the Fisherman and Rescue tool. I think the Rescue tool will be a nice edition to my backpack and given I do enjoy fishing I believe the Fisherman will be of a lot of use to me.

Help a wanna-be sc/out/ /out/?
>>
Get a swiss champ
>>
>>819831
OP, you sound borderline autistic.

They're not super tools, but can be handy, so just get one that has what you find handy.

IMO if I don't mind a bit of weight in my pocket I'd rather carry a Leatherman Juice S2 (which I do) as it has pliers as well as scissors and a knife, and a myriad of other tools.

For SAKs, well, IMO, the most useful tools are the scissors, tweezers, and knife and so those are the ones I prioritise. Add a tec dangler clip and you're sorted.

I wouldn't bother with the locking SAKs, if you're in the market for a full size locking folder there are way better options.

>>820045
curt but really quite a good suggestion

Pair it with an Opinel and you have a decent set up.
>>
>>820049
Opinel no.6 and my grandads champ are all i use desu, maybe a mora and a saw if im not hiking. If i was in the us i might carry more, but for uk its perfect
>>
>>820045
This
>>
>>819831
Magnifying glass is not needed to remove ticks. It is very useful in strange and odd situations tough.
I got the swisschamp and that's what I carry in my jeans unless I need to dress for self defense.
For the woods I like the victorinox blade in combination with the saw. The blade is better for finer tasks then my expensive knives. Because it is thin!
But the saw is shorter than I would like.
>>
File: champ.jpg (172KB, 750x666px) Image search: [Google]
champ.jpg
172KB, 750x666px
>>820049
Blaming someone for being borderline autistic, shit you gotta get of this board unless you are truly autistic, feel me bro?
>>
>>819831
If you are getting started pick a spartan, it's super cheap and got all the vital tools.
Personaly I think the fish tool is a fucking joke and I much rather have a dedicated pair of real scissors.
>>
File: vacuumrelax.gif (712KB, 490x276px) Image search: [Google]
vacuumrelax.gif
712KB, 490x276px
>>820756
I wanted to add the saw on the vic's is super awesome, especially on the 111mm series. Some people say it's to small and they can brake anything they could saw with it, but I have yet to find someone who can brake a 2 by 4 with bare hands.
>>
File: victorinox_swissarmy_angler.jpg (30KB, 560x490px) Image search: [Google]
victorinox_swissarmy_angler.jpg
30KB, 560x490px
Hey guys; I noticed they have two different SAKs for fishing and am wondering which one you would prefer and why.

>>Angler
>blade, large
>blade, small
>reamer, punch and sewing awl
>can opener
>screwdriver 3 mm
>bottle opener
>wire stripper
>screwdriver 5 mm
>corkscrew
>pliers
>wire bender
>wire crimper, inside-outside
>fish scaler
>ruler (inch)
>hook disgorger
>ruler (cm)
>toothpick
>tweezers
>key ring
>>
File: victorinox_swissarmy_fisherman.jpg (29KB, 560x490px) Image search: [Google]
victorinox_swissarmy_fisherman.jpg
29KB, 560x490px
>>820804

>>Fisherman
>blade, large
>blade, small
>can opener
>screwdriver 3 mm
>bottle opener
>wire stripper
>screwdriver 5 mm
>reamer, punch and sewing awl
>Phillips screwdriver 1 / 2
>scissors
>fish scaler
>ruler (inch)
>hook disgorger
>ruler (cm)
>multi purpose hook
>toothpick
>tweezers
>key ring
>>
>>820804
>>820805

It seems the Angler has 18 tools while the Fisherman has 17. The Angler has pliers and corkscrew while the Fisherman has scissors, a screwdriver and a hook. It ultimately is going to come down to which of these has the more valuable tools. Which one do you feel comes with the better tools?

I personally see the Angler being more for recreational fisherman while the Fisherman seems more for professional anglers. I want your opinions though.
>>
I use the Huntsman as part of my EDC (Brit, it's one of the few legal carry knives). Only used half the shit in there but it's nice to know I could saw through some particularly rough twigs if need be. If you're going properly /out/ get a leatherman or something, SAKs were never designed to be the be all and end all of survival knives.
>>
>>820809
perhaps you want to check out the Deluxe Tinker.
It has scissors and pliers.
>https://www.victorinox.com/de/de/Produkte/Schweizer-Taschenmesser/Mittlere-Taschenmesser/Deluxe-Tinker/p/1.4723
>>
>>820815
> SAKs were never designed to be the be all and end all of survival knives.
> going properly /out/ get a leatherman or something

I don't get you leatherman shills

> your average SAK
> mainly knife (Trekker is designed one handed) - easy to sharp, reasonable metal
> reasonably common screwdrivers for field repair and emergency screwing, lifting tin lids bending shit
> tin can opener/beer opener, awesome for the evening meal and beer
> a reamer to punch holes in leather, tin, clothes, make diy alco stove
> a very efficient little saw for small works outdoors, but rarely used (thrice in four years)
> the tweezers are awesome to remove ticks
> used outdoors by military over a century
> light, abundant, cheap

> your average leatherman
> mainly pliers for whatever reason, useful only to lift hot light metal things
> second pliers justin case it is not enough
> wire cutter, you know, for /out/ wire bushes
> hard-wire cutter, you know, for /out/ hard-wire pines
> short, shitty knife because nobody needs knife /out/doors
> another knife with pretentious, hard to maintain serrations, because everybody who uses leatherman gets parachuted into hard-wire rainforest and needs to cut paracord
> the clumsiest saw ever devised
> wood/metal file - to escape aboriginal prison if caught in wrong marshland
> diamond coated file - for those trapped in moria in need of a tunnel burrowing machine
> Large Bit Driver, Small Bit Driver, Large Screwdriver - people gotta feel that they get more for the buck, but mainly overkill for /out/
> 8cm ruler - you wanted to take heavy leatherman but don''t want to sacrifice UL? use ruler to ration your diet!
> bottle/can opener - awesome for the evening meal and bear if you want job to be more challenging
> wire stripper - ........
> Lanyard attachment, so the park ranger can bully you like in elementary school
> 89 USD, 1kg of weight
> used by neckbeards who don''t go out but drool over their tools because tacticool
>>
Just buy a katana, it's less autistic than a Swiss army knife.
>>
OP here. I was at my local walmart today ( ew, I know. ) and they just happened to be having a sale on about 2/3rds of their knives ( a third on clearance and a third on "rollback" ) which I decided to capitalize on. I wound up getting the Classic SD for my keyring and the Super Tinker to wear on my coveralls. I also decided to buy the Swiss Army nail clippers from Amazon for my hygiene bag and might add on their Rescue Tool for my day-pack. I wanted to thank you all for pitching in my thread with ideas.

>>820804
>>820805
>>820809
Neato; you have me curious now. I'd. love to hear what /out/ thinks.
>>
The Super Tinker is far and away the best SAK in terms of overall versatility.

It's got the best feature set of any of the ones that don't get too thick to comfortably knife with or drop into a pocket with other stuff.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>820804
Anybody actually own one of these? Or a SAK with similar pliers? Are they actually useful for fishing?

That's why I can't go without a Leatherman-type multitool for fishing. The pliers are the #1 too I use. Not sure if I would want to get those tiny SAK pliers or hook removers too close to a toothy fish who is still fighting a bit.
>>
>>821560
i have one of these fuckers somewhere
i rarely ever used them
>>
>>823148
I've had the chance to use my Super Tinkerer a few times now and it's worked rather well. It was a good buy for $13 and I'd recommend picking one up if you find it on sale and lack utility in your E.D.C.

Quick question though: How exactly are you supposed to work the can opener on one of these? I've been under the impression you are supposed to gently push forward on the lid and cut your way around but I find that task to be so difficult I have suspicions as to whether or not that is actually how it works.
>>
>>819831
get a mora faggot
>>
What's the dumbest tool on swiss army knives?
I vote for the saw. Too small to be practical. Can't use on anything you couldn't already break with your hands.
>>
File: gold-ingot-swiss-army-knife.jpg (197KB, 1500x1072px) Image search: [Google]
gold-ingot-swiss-army-knife.jpg
197KB, 1500x1072px
Has there ever been a more ineffectual tool for paranoid shtf the end is nigh types?

A blade too small to use and a piece of gold the size of your pinky nail. Good job, guy, your family is safe now.
>>
File: image.jpg (680KB, 3268x1772px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
680KB, 3268x1772px
I've had mine for 5 years and use it almost everyday (it's the swis champ btw)
>>
>>826734
How are Saks this wide not the most awkward thing to use?
>>
>>826736
I have big hands so the extra width fits nicely in my palm. never feels awkward to me but thats probably because ive been using it so long
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.