[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Colorado Camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: colorado.jpg (44KB, 600x378px) Image search: [Google]
colorado.jpg
44KB, 600x378px
Me and a friend are planning a trip next month to Colorado for 3 nights of camping. This will be both of our first times in the state and theres so many places to choose from neither of us is too sure. We will most likely not want to stay in the same place the entire trip, so if theres a couple parks within a reasonable distance between each other that would be perfect. Was hoping to get some feedback/suggestions on where the best spots might be. Any personal experiences?
>>
>>819113
If you're going to be ANYWHERE west of I-25, be prepared for near or slightly under freezing weather. It will be at absolute best 50 degrees at night, most likely well under 45. If you're going to be above 8000 feet in the mountains, prepare for 20 degree weather or worse at nights. During the day you'll be fine but temps drop like a rock when the sun goes down. Me and my brother went camping about two months ago, we weren't even that high up and we were chilly in 5 degree bags with decent pads and tent.

We have bears, pack and handle your food accordingly. If you're hiking and came from <1500 feet altitude, make sure you have at least a full liter of water per person on you. Water can be hard to find depending on where you are and you'll be sweating a lot even if you don't realize it. I worked at a scout camp a few years back and the troops from sea level, high humidity areas would drop like flies because they weren't used to the dry climate sucking away their sweat so fast and they wouldn't drink.

Please don't cut live wood for fuel, standing dead is fine. Please don't leave your trash sitting around after you leave.

>we want to camp east of I-25
Fucking why, you come to Colorado for the mountains not the dust bowl.

All of the "parks" in Colorado for the most part are on the eastern half of the state and cost money to camp at. The mountains are all National forest unless it's private land which is usually well marked. I would greatly recommend going to the mountains instead.

Clear Creek Reservoir south of Leadville is a nice place to camp. If you're into scenic routes (Assuming you're starting in CO Springs) Head west on Route 24 from Springs to Clear Creek. On the return trip, leave Clear Creek heading south on Route 285 and then East into Salida. From there follow Highway 50 back to Canon City and then go wherever you want. Do not fucking speed on that section of Highway 50, you'll know where I mean if you look. Just don't if you value your life.
>>
If you're willing to travel a bit west you should check out Gunnison Canyon. There is a nice overnight camping spot at the bottom of a trail called SOB Draw that will be super fun.
>>
>>819448
Im assuming bear spray is a must then?

We'll be starting out in denver actually. Planning to wake up early in the morning then driving out wherever we can (trying to stay somewhat close to denver if possible). You think it'll get that cold at night in the middle of august?

Definitely wont be east of i-25 lol. We want to hit up as many hiking trails as we can as well; for the most part everything we're looking up is on the west coast anyways.

>>819468
Thats way too far out west for us lol. Trying to stay closer to denver if possible. Thanks though
>>
>>819518
>Im assuming bear spray is a must then?
Not if you're smart.
>>819518
>You think it'll get that cold at night in the middle of august?
No, I know it will get that cold in the middle if August if you're in the mountains.

Don't know much about the Denver area for camping though.
>>
>>819628
Thanks for the tips!
>>
>>819628
>I know it will get that cold in the middle if August if you're in the mountains
I live well over 10,000 feet.
it doesn't freeze at night here until the end of September. Sometimes we make it through most of October without freezing too.

20 degrees or worse at night is December weather.
>>
>>819935
>I don't know what windchill and rain are
>>
You'll need to drive at a minimum an hour and a half from Denver to be into decent camping. Call up the ranger office for a national forest you'd be interested in camping in and ask for advice on good camping spots. Let them know what you want to do / limitations and they can hook it up. Roosevelt National Forest is close to Denver and gives you a good feel of Colorado. Routt is pretty nice as well. Colorado's national parks can be pretty crowded this time of the year but there are usually still spots open at campgrounds. If you're going on a weekend call the ranger district office and ask about dispersed camping in the area you are interested in.
>>
>>819935

If you're into natural music venues then you should hit up Red Rocks Ampitheatre. Beautiful natural open air theatre which hosts some amazing concerts.

Also if you can make it to boulder creek on a summers day, you can chill in the creek with a couple of beers.

Bears shouldn't be a problem, the black bears there were extremely timid when I was there in '14. We stayed at the top of boulder creek for a month, saw fourteen bears but only one of them came within 20 metres.

I'm very jealous, enjoy your trip.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.