[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hot enough for ya?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: burning.jpg (84KB, 620x414px) Image search: [Google]
burning.jpg
84KB, 620x414px
When do you call off going out on account of heat?

Supposed to hit at least the mid 90s pretty soon with heat indexes near or over 100.

inb4 more idiots die or have to be rescued because they went out during excessive heat warnings without sufficient water and or having preexisting health issues
>>
I'm no expert on desert hiking but if the heat is so great that you get dehydrated no matter how much water you have, maybe you're in the kind of situation where you rest by day and travel by night.
Sunstroke is an underrated danger in my opinion.
>>
>>818970
Are you in Minnesota?
>>
>>818970
Its fucked here in Nebraska right now and im homeless. Been hanging out at the river and trying (failing) to not move around much during the day.

Also wtf is whale wars doing on a volcano
>>
>>818998
no, but not very far off
>>
>>819010
Wisconsin?
>>
>>819031
in the great lakes region, yes
>>
File: heatchart.png (91KB, 719x432px) Image search: [Google]
heatchart.png
91KB, 719x432px
>>818970
When the humidity goes above 85%m 90+F, and I have to do manual labor in the sun. I live in a temperate rain forest so it is always muggy as shit like a sauna.

I've been working in the early mornings and late evenings for everything now, except when it rains then I run out and work in the rain.
>>
>Lifeguard in Arizona
>115+ heat
>Walk roughly 10 mi a day patrolling my zone over roughly 6 hour period
>Drink no more than 2L during that time because bathroom breaks are limited
I am a fucking camel. Of course I'm carrying no more than just a rescue tube; if I had to haul gear then I'd only walk during dusk/dawn.

>Only donkeys and gringos walk in the midday sun.
>>
>>818970

If you keep yourself hydrated and are can get to shaded areas, then ~110 would be my max. The whole point is to stay properly hydrated, not just water but water with electrolytes.

I've fought fires in deserts where the heat was unbearable. But staying hydrated and shaded really made the insane temperatures something I could handle.

>Supposed to hit at least the mid 90s pretty soon with heat indexes near or over 100

These temperatures are completely fine unless you're walking through a desert with dunes and no natural coverage whatsoever. I loved doing Havasupai where we started in high heat and a somewhat barren desert... then slowly entered canyon areas where the temperature dropped by 10-20 degrees.
>>
File: 70iiTl[1].gif (4MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
70iiTl[1].gif
4MB, 400x300px
I did 90 to 100+ degree days out in the field with the NPS in that polyester get up you have to wear out in the sun. Take a break every hour or so, or more if you need it. Find shade and drink water. I usually had one liter nalgene of gatorade and a 1.5 L nalgene of water and switched off taking swigs of each.

If you get thirsty, you're already dehydrated, so take a little more time off and get to normal before you continue.

When I was growing up, I worked with my dad doing HVAC work in attics in Texas during the summer. It could get up to 150+ degrees sometimes and it feels like you're working in an oven. I could lose like 5 lbs in water weight in one day. Surprisingly I only got heat stroke once.

If you can avoid the heat of the day, do it. I can take it, but it's fucking miserable to be in.

Pic related
>>
Living in AZ. I go on hikes at around 9pm b/c that's the only time it's cool enough. People die here when they're inexperienced and they hike during the day.
>>
Hydration means jack if your sweat can't evaporate, you won't get evaporative cooling.

Heatstroke != dehydration
>>
>>819906
>Hydration means jack if your sweat can't evaporate, you won't get evaporative cooling.

Proper hydration ensures that there's a reservoir to sweat from. What are you going on about? If you are severely dehydrated you're not going to have the capacity to sweat. Being dehydrated is a huge factor in getting heat stroke. Heat stroke is what happens over a period of time where necessities are neglected.

Your body has tiny hairs all over to catch sweat and allow evaporation. Loose fitting clothes is a plus, but our body is fit for cooling itself down.
>>
>>819926
Being hydrated does not guarantee evaporation of sweat. Are you actually arguing that it does? When the air is saturated with humidity, you can drink and sweat all you want it's not going anywhere and you will not cool down one bit.
If you're wearing a helmet or clothing required for your work that makes your sweat pool up and drip instead of evaporate, you will not get evaporative cooling either. It doesn't matter that your sweat will evaporate if it's not in contact with your body after it dripped off. Once again drinking more does jack shit.

The majority of times people don't get dehydrated, they get heat stricken.

Heatstroke != dehydration
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.