[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Using insecticide as a topical mosquito repellent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 15150922965_5bd9cfdfca_b.jpg (321KB, 1024x920px) Image search: [Google]
15150922965_5bd9cfdfca_b.jpg
321KB, 1024x920px
I'm extremely tasty to mosquitos so even just stepping outside to mow the grass means I must douse my skin with DEET or suffer terrible consequences. Trouble is I despise the smell and feel of DEET on my skin and it melts the synthetic dri fit clothing I prefer when it's hot outside. Which means I use permethrin-based repellent which works, but is expensive. I believe it's expensive because of economies of scale, niche appeal, gullibility of consumers etc.

So I'm looking at commercial insecticides to ward off mosquitos. I can pour some in a little spray bottle, dilute it to taste, mist myself off and hopefully insects will create a wide berth for me. You probably think I'm crazy but here's my logic. Permethrin is also used as an insecticide, though not very common, and is lethally deadly to bugs, but non-toxic through skin contact and only mildly toxic to mammals when ingested. But take Ortho Bug B Gone concentrate. $5 gets me enough product to treat the outside perimeter of an entire house, which means it's enough to last a person years. The active chemical is bifenthrin, which kills anything which more than four legs, is a chemical which works by the same mechanism as permethrin and crucially, like permethrin:
>Skin contact is not toxic, apart from a slight tingling sensation on the specific location of contact. Ingestion is toxic, although only slightly.

What does /out/ think of my plan?
>>
>>817713
>dilute it to taste
>What does /out/ think of my plan?

you probably won't die
>>
>>817713
You're going to die.
>>
>>817713
Set up a amazon wish list and someone will buy you a couple cans of permethrin. Also, put condoms on the list. I'll buy those so that you don't reproduce.
>>
>>817713
its fine if u want to die, just wear a repelent patch
>>
>>817779
>>817723
>>817722
Are you people incapable of thinking outside the box? These insecticides aren't toxic to humans.
>>
>>817713
>dilute it to taste
Those four simple words make the entire post sound like a troll.
I suppose if I were you I would look up the MSDS of every chemical to learn of potential health risks and help you dilute correctly. It may be that a large amount of dilution is effective, who knows.
>>
>>817713
what i did personally for bugs in general is the following:
Step1: I bought permethrin concentrate
https://www.amazon.com/36-8-Permethrin-Pest-Control-Insecticide/dp/B003IMO3I2
Step2: I mixed it 1.7 oz / 1 gallon water
Step3: put it in spray bottles
Step4: Spray clothing and let dry
Step5: mosquitos and ticks and all the horrible shit fucks off and or dies.
absolutely works.
dont have to put it on your skin.
stays in your clothing for a pretty long time.
easy.
>>
>>817713
btw if you do the permethrin thing (cause its a lot cheaper and will last a fuckin lifetime) dont do more that 1.7 oz / 1 gallon water
this mixes up to .5% permethrin with the particular bottle of shit I linked you.
more than that can be bad for you.
its also not good for cats and small dogs so dont spray them with it and keep the shit out of their reach.
my cat has been exposed to clothes n shit ive sprayed with no side effects of any kind so its not super deadly or shit but you are probably better off keeping all the shit away from pets.
dont get the concentrate on your skin either. Use gloves and eye protection n shit when mixing it up and handling it.
you can soak your clothes in it and itll be good to go for somewhere in and around 7 washes.
I just spray it on and it works so I dont treat my clothing like some people do.
Research some on this shit cause you are better off knowing wtf yer doing before you do it but I can tell you first hand that it works 100%
>>
>>817813
>>817807
Fucking jackpot.

Thanks, anon.
>>
Nothing says an insecticide would also be insect repellent. In fact, there are insecticides that are designed to attract the insect they try to kill.
>>
>>817816
np brother.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3sGvZE3rh4
heres a youtube vid of a guy mixing it up n soaking his clothes.
you dont need to soak your clothes for an hour if you are going to actually do that - you can just dip it. 2 minutes will do the job.
lot of good info in the video still though.
>>
>>817789
Yes. They are. Just so the companies say they aren't, doesnt mean its not affective us in anyway
>>
>>817789
>These insecticides aren't toxic to humans.
Yeah but their intended use isn't for on humans... That only accounts for if you use the product how it's intended
>>
>>817911
This would've taken 5 seconds to google:

While pyrethroids may be amongst the least toxic of insecticides, they are an excitatory nerve poison, acting upon the sodium ion channels in nerve cell membranes:

by sending a train of impulses rather than a single one, they overload the pathways, blocking the passage of sodium ions across cell membranes; similar in action to organophosphates (which include the now banned DDT); inhibits ATPase, which affects the release of acetylcholine, monoamine oxidase-A and acetylcholine;
inhibits GABAa receptors, resulting in convulsions and excitability (and more 'minor' problems such as sleep disorders);
known to be carcinogenic;
liver damage
thyroid function
cause chromosomal abnormalities in mice and hamsters;
are highly toxic to insects, fish, and birds;
mimic estrogen, leading to estrogen dominant health problems in females and feminizing effects in males, including lowered sperm counts and abnormal breast development;
sublethal doses have produced a wide array of abnormal behaviors, including aggression, and disruption in learning and learned behaviors
>>
>>817807
>dont have to put it on your skin.
you are getting less on your skin this way, but you are getting some
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.