[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fly Fishing Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 20160718_105155.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160718_105155.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Hey /out. Maybe someone here can tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong.

I went out for the first time today with my new fly rod. I had never fly fished before. My only experience was casting in the yard for the last two weeks and watching A River Runs Through It.

I didn't expect to actually catch any fish, but I didn't think this is how it would end up. I list 8 flies, and these two fell apart after all of 20 minutes with each one.

Now, I never snagged once. It was a nice open river I was at. Is it something to do with my casting? Was my knot tied wrong? What's the deal? Visit these both started out as BH Pheasant Tail Nymphs.
>>
have you considered that you might be using the wrong kind of line.
>>
>>817547
5wt line with a Rio tapered lead, 5x. These were size 12 Nymphs. That should have been okay, right?
>>
>>817534
How's that even possible? Did you tie the flies yourself?
>>
>>817581
Ha. No. Paid about $2 a price at the local Bass Pro.

There's no "real" fly shops terribly close. Any good online places to order from online?
>>
>>817582
Would just seek other hobbyists and buy from them.

I can only think of shitty tie to make them break like that. I have snapped my flies million times and caught branches all day and never seen that happen.
>>
>>817534
OP, is the line making a whipcrack sound as you cast?
>>
>>817591
Yes, which I know is bad.

How do I not do that? I'm just going to have to take a class, aren't I?
>>
>>817601
Well, it's what's doing in your flies, that's for sure.

Not to worry though, this is fixable. Mostly it's a practice issue. If I were to sum it up in tl;dr format, it would say to try to remember that your rod should only be moving between 9 o clock and 2 o clock, with 12 being straight overhead.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons/13-fly-casting

These videos are kind of long, but they're not bad overall.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.