[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /out/, after realising I have no passion in this life apart

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 21

File: IMG_1336.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1336.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
Hi /out/,
after realising I have no passion in this life apart from motorcycles, I have decided to buy one. My problem is that I will likely get kicked out of my house because my parents don't approve of bikes.
It's either I carry on wanting to fucking off myself or I follow my passion and live in my car along with my bike.
What are some tips for being homeless? I'm in full time education with a job so I can afford to eat and drink at fucking least.
Any tips?
>>
>>817293
Why not enjoy the free bed and school from your parents my angsty young friend. In a couple years when you grow up and start paying your own bills, you can buy a motorcycle if you still want to.
>>
>>817293
If you are unable to delayed gratification then you will not go far in life anon.
This is what defines a loser.
>>
>>817293
>live in my car along with my bike.
Umm, how you gonna fit your motorcycle in your car with you? Sell the car, use proceeds to buy some saddlebags and a tent or hammock, along with other camping supplies. Then ride your motorcycle off a cliff into the ocean.
>>
>>817293
Bikes are for aging boomers who want to feel edgy.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>817299
Sound advice.
>>
>>817295
This, buy a motorcycle when u finish school, then youll got full time for ur passion
>>
Step one, don't be an idiot.

If you're an adult, your parents should have no say in what you do. However, if they are your land lords, then can throw you out. I don't know what kind of shifty parent would throw out their child for buying something, but hey that's what parents you have, so better follow the rules.

Being homeless is not romantic. It's cold, wet, dirty, and hard. You can try it, but it's not everything you dream of. People think of it as the ultimate freedom, when in reality you have less freedom, since you can really afford to do the great things life has to offer without somewhere to go home to.

If you do get a bike, don't be an idiot with that either. I'm a paramedic, I see it all the time. Punk kid gets a bike, rides without a helmet, thinks he's cool, thinks that other people think he's cool (they dont), and he rides like an asshole. He also ends up dead. A good friend of mine did this. He was a great guy, but was careless. He rode without a helmet, and tried to pass a car on a blind corner. I know what he was thinking "my bikes awesome I can pass this guy so fast, he'll be impressed". He hit another car head on. His only apparent injury was a severely depressed skull fracture, a helmet might have saved him.

I remember getting the call when he died. That was 8 years ago. Don't end up like my buddy John.
>>
>>817327
>I don't know what kind of shifty parent would throw out their child for buying something,
>>
>>817293
Motorcycles are expensive. If you can't afford to live on your own, how do you expect to afford to ride/upkeep a motorcycle? Basic math son.

Get through school, get an ok job, and then you'll have more time and money to pursue your interest.

Stop calling it your passion. It's a fucking interest. If you start doing it, then it becomes a hobby. I hate how our generation has become a bunch of asshats chasing "passions", DONT FALL FOR THE MEME.
>>
>>817364
>Motorcycles are expensive

Huh? I could go on forever how wrong this is but then it would turn into a tl;dr.
>>
>>817451
how can it be inexpensive?
>>
>>817478
You can get a used bike for like 500 bucks.
You will save that much in gas over a summer.
>>
>>817485
I've thought about this, but what about safety gear? What about insurance? That and $500 bikes usually need a few things fixed, that adds up too. Especially if you've never bought a bike before and it's your first time looking over a bike. There's also towing a bike if it doesn't work.

I'm not trying to disprove you, I actually really really want you to be right, I just don't see it right now.
>>
File: image.jpg (768KB, 1932x2576px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
768KB, 1932x2576px
>>817339
>>
First get a truck like pic. Make sure it has a liftgate. Then buy your mc. You can load the mc into the back and still have enough living space to do some living
>>
File: image.jpg (354KB, 1634x1242px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
354KB, 1634x1242px
>>817293
>>817364
>>817451
>>817478
>>817485

Story time. OP I was in your exact. same. spot. Lived at home, wanted a bike really bad (CBR 600) but parents threatened to throw me out if I bought one. I made the difficult decision to hold on to the dream, but delay it for a bit. It was tough but looking back I made the right call. A few years later I moved out, got married, bought a house, yada yada. I was now my own man with my own house and my own garage to safely store the bike in. With the mortgage and trying to save for the future and what not I saved what I could and scraped together $1,800 for a used Ninja 250. It's not the CBR 600 I wanted, but you gotta buy what you can afford (that includes insurance and maintenance parts). It was in rough shape but I was ready to ride. Bikes CAN be expensive. I spent $300 on new tires and it turns out the front tire is made to last for about 12,000 miles and the rear is made to last about 6,000 miles. These are not special tires, they are just average road Pirellis and that mileage assumes average riding with no burnouts, etc. Compare that to a car where you get about 60,000 miles out of the tires. All bike tires have to be sticky to keep you on the road so that's the trade off. Average LIABILITY insurance on a +600 sport bike is +$1,000 a year. I got full coverage on the Ninja 250 for about $300 a year. Parts (clutch, brakes, etc.) are half the price compared to the +600 cc bikes. Again, buy what you can afford. Over time I bought stuff to fix up the bike. New tires with dynabeads, clutch, plugs, coolant, oil and filter, brakes, brake fluid, headlights, lubed throttle/clutch cables, fender delete kit, replaced fairings, helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, etc. That $1,800 bike has ended up costing me +$3,600 last I remember, I stopped adding stuff up after that. Bikes are fun but they are dirty. You stink like gas and exhaust every time you ride. And you have to lube the chain every 400-600 miles and the chain lube is messy...
>>
File: image.jpg (367KB, 1242x1634px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
367KB, 1242x1634px
>>817513
... if it's hot your hot, if it's cold you're cold, if it rains you get wet. It is not convenient at all. You have to walk around with the jacket on, and there is no place to store hardly anything. That being said... it's a fucking blast to ride. I enjoy every minute of it, but I'm really glad I waited. Looking back I wouldn't have been ready for a bike. I just didn't understand all of the hidden costs and a 600 would have been a terrible choice. Fortunately I have been able to do all of the work myself including mounting the tires, replacing the clutch, etc. She's never been in a shop once. But for people who don't know how to do that stuff the labor costs will eat you alive. Just wait a few years bro, trust me. Be patient, but hold on to the dream you'll get there in time.
>>
File: image.jpg (429KB, 1634x1242px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
429KB, 1634x1242px
>>817522
Best of luck bro, just hang tight it'll be worth it in the long run. Here's some pics of what you can look forward to in the future
>>
File: image.jpg (501KB, 1630x1242px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
501KB, 1630x1242px
>>817526
>>
File: image.jpg (490KB, 1619x1242px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
490KB, 1619x1242px
>>817529
>>
File: image.jpg (253KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
253KB, 768x1024px
>>817530
This was a terrible idea, hard to get back off the tracks lol
>>
File: image.jpg (258KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
258KB, 768x1024px
>>817532
Weird angle here, bike looks funny. I don't like the way it looks with that rear seat cowl but it is convenient to store stuff
>>
File: image.jpg (305KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305KB, 1024x768px
>>817535
Checking out the lit up bridge
>>
File: image.jpg (250KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
250KB, 1024x768px
>>817536
Here's an older pic, I literally went through everything when I bought it.
>>
File: image.jpg (143KB, 672x449px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143KB, 672x449px
>>817539
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1536x2048px
>>817542
>>
File: 606_DSC_2653_600_398_2.jpg (54KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
606_DSC_2653_600_398_2.jpg
54KB, 600x398px
>>817512
No dont be retarded buy a truck like this.
4-wheel drive is a must
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1400x1684px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1400x1684px
>>817545
I'll leave you with these parting words of wisdom. If you're dead serious about getting a bike, now, or in the future, this is something you need to read. It's a mature perspective on the ownership and first purchase. Reading this changed my mentality of what it means to own and ride a bike. Never let your dreams die OP, and stay safe out there.
>>
>>817310
WAT
>/dbt/ plz

OP check out the daily bike thread on /o/ they can help you out
>>
>>817293
>I will likely get kicked out of my house because my parents don't approve of bikes
wtf is wrong with your parents? If you buy it with your money is nothing of their business. You should leave their house either way.
>>
>>817293
Save up when you are with your parents. Wait and get a better bike.
>>
>>817551
Excellent sound advice.

I'll also add this, sport bikes kind of suck.

I know they look cool, but they just kind of suck to ride.

They're made to go fast, and the riding position is for speed. It's not for comfort. You're arched forward in a terrible position. Those dudes you see on ZX6Rs on the highway with their ass as high as their hands, they aren't comfortable. They may say they are, but I assure you they arent.

Sport bikes also don't ride well (harsh over rough roads), and are unforgiving.

Keep in mind when I say sport bikes, I'm talking the high powered Supersport bikes that are essentially race bikes with lights. There are plenty of bikes that look the part but are really closer to a sport standard.

A standard bike has a much nicer riding position, you won't be hunched over, and you'll be able to log a lot more miles comfortably.

If you want a sporty ride, check out an SV650. They may be one of the all time greatest bikes to ride, at any price. I'm serious. A first generation SV650 is amazing. It has enough power to be fun, but at the same time it's docile enough that you can actually open it up. Trust me, riding around on a Supersport bike you can hardly ever EVER really open it up, and while a Supersport may be faster, the SV often FEELS faster since youreally actually using full throttle often, as opposed to constantly using 1/4 throttle of a supersport bike.

Don't write of cruisers, or dual sport bikes. You can have a lot of fun on any bike, just start off with something forgiving, cheap, and reliable.
>>
File: DSC_4983_-L.jpg (94KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4983_-L.jpg
94KB, 800x533px
>>817293
You're ... kind of an idiot.
A motorcycle is a toy. Don't spend money on toys (and all the gear/repairs/etc that comes along with that toy) until you've figured out housing/income.

Finish school, move somewhere with a garage or storage for a moto, buy the gear, take the MSF class, *THEN* buy the moto.

>>817485
Fuel, sure. Insurance... kinda. It's cheap, but you're still probably paying for a cage too.
Depending on the car you drive, motorcycle tires can make the fuel savings a wash.
>Truck gets 12mpg
>Moto gets 50-ish around town
>Moto tire is about $100, I roast a set every 3-4 months

>>817513
>>817522
10/10
>>817532
Knobbies make it easier.

>>817551
fuck yes this
>saved

>>817556
>/o/
MUH RICER

>>817605
>dual sport bikes
mah nigga
>pic related
>>
File: IMG_20160611_203325190-L.jpg (84KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160611_203325190-L.jpg
84KB, 800x451px
>>817522
>never been in a shop once
>labor costs will eat you alive
No shit. Shops around here are about $120/hour.
120. DOLLARS. PER. FUCKING. HOUR.

Oil change? One hour.
Tires? One hour.
Need an engine rebuilt? That might total your bike.

My moto's been to a shop three times.
>Day I brought it home.
>First oil change and a tire replacement. $250. Never again...
>Insurance estimate for a collision claim. (Other driver was at-fault, lied to his ins. co., my ins. sued him, won, got deductible/estimate/etc back).

Sleds have been the same way. Buy them from the dealer, take them back for an insurance estimate when I total it.

Any shred of "cheaper than a car" gets blown away faster than a fart in a tornado when you pay a shop to do shit.

I've got dealer sponsorships, get parts almost at-cost, labor is significantly discounted, but I still come out way ahead doing the work myself.
>Replaced a crank bearing, new piston, cylinder replate, cleaned up the head, bunch of little parts, new timing chain, rear shock rebuild, fork seals/rebuild, some other custom parts/mods
>probably 6 days of working on it over 2 months
>say 50 hours labor into it
>50 hours [Enter] 120 dollars/hour [X]
>$6000 in fucking labor from a shop
>instead i've thrown about $800 in parts at it
>>
>>817711
>Tires?
I took my rims/tires, I took them off myself, to get new tires mounted and balanced. I came back later that day and they were finished and said "here's your wheels". I looked at them and noticed a couple of things "excuse me sir" he said yes "the little white circles on the tires are the heavy spots and are supposed to line up with the valve stem." He just looked at me, then I said "and do you see the little arrows on the rim and tire? They are supposed to point the same way not opposite". Never again and this was a Honda dealer.
>>
>>817513
>A few years later I moved out, got married

You poor fucking cuck.
>>
File: 955867928_gjFMR_-L.jpg (204KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
955867928_gjFMR_-L.jpg
204KB, 800x600px
>>817755
One shop I took my old-old sled to for a warranty job wanted to rejet my fuel-injected machine.

That shop dealt with sleds, but they weren't a snow shop. Most of their business is in motocross, and at the time FI'd motos were very rare. Sleds have been FI for decades though.

Told the mechanic to package everything up, don't do any more work on it other than what had already been done, and I'd be there in half an hour to pick it up.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.