[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Seven Summits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

Hey /out/, what's your take on the Seven Summits challenge? Have any of you attempted it or desire to attempt it?
>>
Going to be honest and say that climbing to the top of Kosi is just not worth it. Just the other week people ran to the top wearing just undies in the middle of winter. Its more of a small hill.
>>
>>817049
This.
Most people take the chairlift shortcut as well.
>>
>>817049
Btw, do just mainland mountains count? Otherwise there would be Mt Cook in New Zealand with 3724m, which is a challange.
>>
Most serious climbers scoff at the 7 summits challenge. A serious climber will attempt the 7 tallest mountains in the world, not the tallest on each continent.

The 2nd seven summits are much much more of a challenge, that is the second highest peak on each continent.
>>
File: Green-Boots.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Green-Boots.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
The only one I've done is Kilimanjaro, which wasn't difficult except for some hallucinations due to low oxygen. I'd like to do a few of the other six but have no desire to climb Everest due to the huge amount of shitty climbers on it. If I die on a mountain, I want it to be due to either Mother Nature beating me or my stupidity Dawinning me and not due to some dentist going through a midlife crisis fucking up the climb for everyone else.
>>
File: everest-5-web.jpg (114KB, 970x728px) Image search: [Google]
everest-5-web.jpg
114KB, 970x728px
>>817796
this doesn't look like fun to you?
>>
>>817044
>Kosciuszko
>Not Carstensz Pyramid

Do you even Seven Summits, OP?
>>
>>817044
would be fun but
>paying >$30,000 to climb a mountain
I bitch about paying for park passes
>>
>>817044
i would love to, but to be honest the actual commercializing of them is really a downer. yeah i get it goes to conservation etc etc. but really for the cost to climb something like kili or everest, i could do a much nicer hiking holliday for a month or three
>>
>>817796
If you attempt it, know that you will be among those "shitty climbers", and probably the shittiest among the "shitty climbers".

When seasoned Himalayan mountaineers talk about "shitty climbers", they're talking about people who actually do have lots of climbing experience, just not those with much high altitude experience. Expeditions usually will not take clients without some 6000m experience, and people who do have that are few and far between since there just aren't that many mountains that high in the world.
>>
>>818536
Kili is not expensive iirc? just a couple hundred dollars iirc...
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.