[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PANTS!!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: 81SXVU5yh+L._SL1500_.jpg (129KB, 1154x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81SXVU5yh+L._SL1500_.jpg
129KB, 1154x1500px
I'm having trouble finding some nice ass PANTS. My main requirement is waterproofness and breathability. But I can't find anything that fulfills that very well. It seems to either be lightweight pants that won't stop water, really heavy pants like snow pants, or something like the Fjallravens which seem super comfy, but again aren't waterproof. If good jackets are easy to find, why are pants so hard? Does everyone just have separate over pants for rain? Is there no pair out there that can just keep me dry without being excessively hot and heavy?
>>
Arc'teryx makes some good damn pants that are lightweight and waterproof, as long as you've got around 2-300 dollars to burn
>>
Hefty bags would suit all your requirements you fucking retard
>>
>>816933
Pants don't really get wet from rain. Wear polycotton or get some softshell pants (they don't need to be heavy to repel water, in fact being light means faster drying). Truly waterproof goretex pants are overkill for almost anything.
>>
My experience is that breathable waterproof pants suck.

The ones breathable enough (Kuiu guide, Filson angler's, Frog toggs) wet out pretty fast for any heavy rain or walking through wet brush or the like. They also get beat up easily by brush and rocks and such.

The ones that don't set out fast and are tough (Filson tin is about it) are heavy and not very breathable.

A lot of people here (SE Alaska where it rains all the time) swear by Helley Hansen stuff so I'd like to try some pants from them. You see a lot of people wearing their Impertech line /out/.
>>
>waterproof
>breathable
Pick one or have shit both
>>
Canadian army "stealth suit" pants. Weighs only 298 grams.

Wear whatever pants you want then when you need waterproofness, just pull a set of these over the top of them. Get the jacket too while you're at it. The single best piece of kit I've ever bought.
>>
File: gore-tex_stealth_trousers_zoom.jpg (39KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
gore-tex_stealth_trousers_zoom.jpg
39KB, 800x533px
>>817417
Forgot pic.
>>
>>816933
Ya dumb fucking city slicker, inf your pants is waterproof, they aint gonna breathe.
Ifn they breathe, they aint a gonna be waterproof.
>>
File: 58186-500-1.jpg (113KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
58186-500-1.jpg
113KB, 500x500px
>>
>>816933
I own pic related and you can apply some wax onto the G1000 which doesn't make it waterPROOF,
but enough to withstand wet grass and light rain. I also always carry a pair of hardshell over pants in case of heavy and longer rain, they're light and don't take a lot of space.
>>
File: 1466524553804.jpg (6KB, 222x220px) Image search: [Google]
1466524553804.jpg
6KB, 222x220px
>>817433
>what is gore-tex and similar membranes
>>
>>817443
I'm thinking this might be the best option. Opinion on pic related? Are the ventilation zips good? I'm looking at those or the Barents version. Any recs on overpants?
>>
The modern obsession with waterproofing needs to be turned down already.
>>
>>816933
You can take any mixed material pants (polycotton or poly-nylon), rub wax on them and go over them with a hairdryer or iron, much like how Fjällraven recommend using Greenland wax on their G1000 garments. On an off note, i'm planning on buying my first Fjällraven pants next week and am looking at the Nils model, is it a good pant or should i get a different model?
>>
>>817492
Expensive, fragile and useless above 15° celsius?
>>
>>818139
awww c'mon...can't we all just be fwiends? goretex dindu nufin wrong
>>
>>817615
I live in the Alps and the Keb was pretty much the go to model. The ventilation with the zips works perfectly and I'm so glad I chose them over the Barents Pro because I wouldn't wanna be inside them on a hot summer day because just the G1000 kneeparts on the Keb felt like they would make my knees wet. The stretch parts are also breathable and add a lot to the moveability. Also the adjustable ends with the hook are a plus point over the Barents. I'm using some random overpants and barely use them, only take them out when it's getting serious.
>>
>>816998
>Hefty bags would suit all your requirements
Except breathability. Faggot.
>>
File: 1371546609-61376300.jpg (82KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1371546609-61376300.jpg
82KB, 1000x1000px
Not as durable or as light as some trousers, but the montane terra are some of the best trousers ive ever owned. Breathable, rwinforced knees, dwr coated and its got vents and shit. At 80 britquids, ridiculous value for a pair like this
>>
File: lovske 2.jpg (22KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
lovske 2.jpg
22KB, 800x600px
>mfw i wasted 42 eur on these and they feel fragile and were waay too baggy
>>
>>816933
Wool pants. Keep you warm when its cold, breathes well and can dry easily by a fire. Cotton pants for summer, unless you live in a humid area, then wear shorts.

Stop worrying about being waterproof, you are going to get wet; a pair of grabage bag plastic pants will get water in them and it wont get out. Plus dont go out in the rain unless you're retarded.
>>
>>818380
What he said except get polycotton or other semi-synthetic pants since cotton takes a lifetime to dry, instead of focusing on waterproof (maybe in arctic places, but then you can wear gaiters) pants, focus on getting pants that'll dry quickly and can withstand the heat of a fire without melting since that's how you'll be drying them
>>
>>818380
>Plus dont go out in the rain unless you're retarded.

Well I can't see the future bud
>>
>>818380
>dont go out in the rain unless youre retarded
Are you serious? Do you only to on 3 hour day hikes or something? If you're out for a couple of days or more in most places then you can't guarantee what the weather will be.
>>
>>816933
>My main requirement is X and also EXACT OPPOSITE OF X

see how stupid you sound
>>
Maybe you guys could help me with pants?
I need durable work pants for exessive heat.
I work outside and right now it's literally 116°
Obviously don't need waterproof
>>
>recommend me a car
>my only requirements are that it has a 454 big block with a blower pushing 1k horses
>and very fuel efficient
>>
>>818731
This guy is an asshole but he's also right, the two are mutually exclusive. Waterproof breathables are only breathable relative to plastic bags, they're still sweaty as hell if you actually move.

The solution with jackets is ventilation but that doesn't work so well with pants. Personally I forget about waterproof lowers and go with warm-when-wet quick drying instead.
>>
>>819728
Polyester hiking pants are really good, I wore brands: Wildland and HardGear both are made very well. I wear them to work all the time in humid Taipei, Taiwan.
>>
>>819728
I also recommend polyester underware and drop some powder on your balls to keep stuff dry.
>>
>>819988

>This guy is an asshole but he's also right

This guy is an asshole but he's also right
>>
>>818380
> shorts

I'd be okay with wearing shorts but I blouse my pants legs to prevent ticks from crawling up. How do I prevent ticks from crawling up my shorts and borrowing into my urethra ?
>>
>>820531
Proper underwear m8.

My favorite shorts are Magellan Outdoor's Round Rock Cargo II.
>>
Terrarmar mesh briefs and Columbia Silver Ridge zip off pants.

I don't care how autistic I look with them they're the shit for hiking and backpacking trips.
Lightweight, breathable, dries extremely quick, and them motherfucking zipper knees.
>>
5.11 makes great tacticool pants. Really good for the price ( around 50$)
>>
I've got marmot precip pants. I've never taken them /out/doors but going for walks around the suburbs I never seem to have any problems with water getting in or clamminess inside.
>>
Icebreaker's 50/50 cotton wool, is it any good?
>>
>>822964
Icebreaker is the shit if youve got the money
>>
>I need durable work pants for exessive heat.
I work outside and right now it's literally 116°
Obviously don't need waterproof

Hot weather BDU pants are great if you don't mind camo. They are durable, but the various desert uniform pants are tougher. I've been using up my milcareer accumulation for years. I weld, wrench, etc in hot weather and object to spending money on an expendable garment. The usual military uniform vendors make single color versions if that matters.

I wear light colored shirts and ball caps in very hot weather, and I sometimes use a white pith helmet style hardhat for more facial/neck shade.

Powder is nice for the sack, and if you get heat rash use the ancient G.I. trick, Vagisil.
I've freeballed for decades with no issues and many SWA deployments. Underwear is insulation (bad) and I don't own sack-damaging pants. My boys are happy. (Reassuringly caresses scrotum.)

>I'd be okay with wearing shorts but I blouse my pants legs to prevent ticks from crawling up. How do I prevent ticks from crawling up my shorts and borrowing into my urethra ?

Fuck shorts innawoods or brush. I Permethrin my clothes and use plenty of DEET, preferably the thick surplus cream. Lyme disease ruined the last years of my wife's life. Keep blousing and do anything you must to avoid those toxic motherfuckers! I watch Lyme destroy the woman I loved.
>>
File: ac0c1106_1__2.jpg (1MB, 3840x5760px) Image search: [Google]
ac0c1106_1__2.jpg
1MB, 3840x5760px
>>816933
Normal ripstop pants até okay
>>
how about you wear polycotton pants and pack rain pants or rain chaps?
>>
>>822964
I tried on some of their Expedition Pants, or Adventure Pants or whatever the fuck they were called. Should have bought them: they don't seem to be putting them out this year. They were damn comfy and seemed fairly tough.
I've got some of their Escape Pants which are good but don't feel particularly tough.
>>
Patagonia alpine Houdini rain pants
Frog toggs on a budget

You often don't need rain pants though for hiking. Your legs thermoregulate well enough as long as your core is warm. Sitting in a boat or something you would want something waterproof though
>>
5.11 pants best pants
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.