[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /out/ think of Scouting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 11

What does /out/ think of Scouting?
>>
I think it's great for getting young kids interested in the /out/doors
>>
Great activity not just for kids but for likeminded adults, who wish to gain outdoor skills. Even thoug it has drifted away from the way Baden Powell and Seton envisioned it, it still teaches cameraderie and overcoming adversity.
>>
I put 12 years in as a youth and have been in as in adult since. It's a great way to get kids interested and to build build a network of outdoorsy friends. I go camping with a group of about 10 other eagle scouts on a regular basis.
>>
My wife's son loves it
>>
It's for gay little faggots who hate homosexuals.
>>
>>816622

It's ok anon, please show us where on the doll the bad scout master touched you. Was it on one of your edges?
>>
File: 1467859145905.gif (1MB, 352x211px) Image search: [Google]
1467859145905.gif
1MB, 352x211px
>>816625
>Was it on one of your edges?

I didn't see that top kek coming.
>>
>>816580
Check if that scout movement is affiliated with Worldwide scout movement. I had a bad time with unaffiliated scout movement; basically the scout club is exclusive to the school only (with its own sets of rules) an when I went to a new school, all my badges were deemed invalid and I have to start over again
>>
>>816580
Scouts are cool. I've prolly reread the American Boys Handybook more than any other book. Never was one.

That said, here on the east coast scouts could learn to make way for other people. They hike in this long ass line and when I'm passing I have to fuckin' ask a million kids to step aside. Or I'm unintentionally scaring the shit out of them by walking around them from behind. I think it would be awesome if whoever was at the back announced I was there or said something to the guys infront of them. As it stands, it's awkward and annoying to deal with large troops
>>
File: IMG_20151225_082552-1.jpg (341KB, 1493x1167px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151225_082552-1.jpg
341KB, 1493x1167px
>>
File: 14-04-16.jpg (1MB, 2000x1868px) Image search: [Google]
14-04-16.jpg
1MB, 2000x1868px
>>816580
I was UK based scouter for 10 years or so, hated it but I feel like it taught me the basics of not being a little cunt and helped me appreciate the outdoors

pic related, me on a casual walk in norfolk
>>
>>816668
how tall are you, fuckboi?
btw, are these shoes ok for going outdoors?
>>
>>816580
boy scouts is for nerds
>>
>>816684
>Adidas boosts
>Out doors
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA
naw fuck they will chip to pieces in a day or two, this faggot just posts on /fa/ quite a bit and lives off of English daddys money. I wouldn't give him anymore attention desu seems like he needs (yous) to survive
>>
>>816668
Nice haircut you poofter
>>
File: 1384810001822.jpg (310KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1384810001822.jpg
310KB, 1600x1200px
>>816684
>>816710
ha ha ikr and look at that grass too lol holy shit what terrible grass, rite guise?
>>
>>816642
Why do you care about badges? Are you a career scout?
>>
>>816741
It's always been that, dipshit.
>>
>>816741
yeah it was always one gigantic pædo grooming session. the only difference now is that gay boys are allowed to get molested and violated too.
>>
>>816713
>red dawn vhs
>cassette player
this is a man who knows what his priorities are and dosent need all that other trash
>>
>>816713
>Steel Magnolias
Oh wow you really are a turbofaggot
>>
>>816713
what is this? recipe? looks good
>>
>>816684
nah id never use these for anything more than a walk, no construction, but comfy for walking over the dunes and also 6'2

>>816693
fairs to you man, haha i wish my dad gave me money. can imagine ur the kinda guy that sweats it to the shop and back in ur tnf cag sporting 3 pairs of socks and a pair of peter storms with a compass round ur neck.

but thats cool man start chatting shit to someone whos just trying to have a discussion. real cool
>>
>>816729
As a kid, it was probably important to them.
>being this autistic
>>
>>816668
i think you look cute brah.
>tfw no /out/ bf to walk the dunes with and get sand all over
>>
>>816729
>Why do you care about badges?

Badges represent a level of knowledge and skill in that area of merit. They represent skill sets that everyone should have attained as a child.
>>
>>816862
>Not naming it autism.jpg

You had one job.

But seriously, it really varies from troupe to troupe. I've never been a scout, but have definitely hosted some troupes through my /out/ career. Some troupes seemed fantastic, others were filled with know-it-all little shit for brains that I wish I could of fed to the bears.
>>
>>816862
No, the question is why do you care that your badges are not recognized in another troupe. Who cares, you know what you know. Do you need validation that bad?
>>
>>816580
It made me really love the outdoors, recent college grad and plan on going hiking with my dad next month.
>>
>>816888
Eagle Scout here. The goal in scouting is to rank up. You need a certain number of badges to rank up each time. If I was told I had to start over halfway through I'd be pretty pissed too.
>>
File: 1467316701356.jpg (24KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1467316701356.jpg
24KB, 640x480px
>>816625
>>
File: 1462681304412.jpg (67KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1462681304412.jpg
67KB, 604x453px
>>816625
Kek'd
>>
>>816888
That's not even the same anon who replied.
>>
>>816884
>not gottacatchemall.png
>>
>>816611
kek
>>
>>816580
I loved it as a kid, would recommend /10
>>
>>816625
Does my ass count as an edge?
>>
Who Eagle here?

Squad report in
>>
>>817106
I became an eagle about 7 months ago, aged out about 2 months ago and then went to Philmont for 12 days with a venture crew and got back yesterday.
>>
>>816862
660 curries? NFW!
>>
>>816580
All joking aside it's a great place to learn some /out/ skills and make friends, I only got to go for a short while as my family moved around a lot but it was great while it lasted.
>>
File: 1467130086290.gif (265KB, 568x573px) Image search: [Google]
1467130086290.gif
265KB, 568x573px
>>816625
dam son
a
m

s
o
n
>>
>>817168
Thats the way to go.
I think if you dont have a good BSA group near you then Venture is the way to go.

There are a lot of shit BSA troops out there.
>>
>>816862
IDK about this.

I mostly fulfilled the requirements of my badge and moved on, I think giving badges for checking boxes turns the valuable skills and appreciation they COULD be teaching into yet another exercise in jumping hoops for gold stars.

I had to do a full 360 to go back to the woods after scouts were done with me just because I thought being in the wilderness was just a way to show off the little tricks you know how to do.

It's like tests in that they reduce learning and appreciation down to a low common denominator, but unfortunately I cant think of a better way to quantify progress in outdoors skills.
>>
File: happy all this time.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
happy all this time.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>816862
>required badges not along the center

what the fuck is the point?!?!?1
>>
>tfw all the older kids in your troop left
I was fucking 13 or some shit how the hell was I supposed to lead the troop assholes?
>>
>>816586
you mean it's great for young kids to lose their anal virginity right?
>>
>>817106
Crossroads of America council Eagle, reporting in
>>
>joined girl scouts as a kid
>"camping trips" consisted of us rolling out sleeping bags in air conditioned cabins in the nearest girl scout nature facility
>with the eventual upgrade to tents that were already permanently set up just outside along a paved road
>all I can recall of actual wilderness survival lessons was bringing along firestarters made from wax and egg cartons to build fires in the grills at our local park, MAYBE some plant identification
>this was all in the midst of actual sprawling forests in a mountainous, semi-rural area
What a fucking waste. I was game for roughing it but they treated us like wimps and invalids.
>>
>>817106
Eagle reporting here.

Look scouting is great and shitty at the same time. It all depends on your troop's organization and your own personality. My troop leadership was a mixture of bunch of vets that generally did not give a fuck and some over-protective dads who would put a band aid on a tiny scratch.

The combination worked out well though, I learned a vast majority of my actual outdoor skills from the former and how to be safe and well organized from the latter. Scouting gave me the experience to plan and execute anything from multi-week backpacking trips to hikes with inexperienced friends of friends.

I ended up working for a few years at my local scout camp eventually as head of the Outdoor Skills area. Teaching new scouts how to properly build a fire, basic wilderness survival, first aid, knots, orienteering, using an axe etc. was a shitton of fun.

The organization gets shat on all the time, but it really does make a difference in a lot of young men's lives. We'd get a lot of kids from messed up home lives, with disabilities, and/or with severe ADD and other behavioral issues. The BSA is pretty well equipped to deal with all of these cases, and gives these individuals an opportunity to experience life away from their problems and away from school/computers/video games. I know that scouting helped me to man up through my developmental years as it does for so many others.
>>
I was a cub scout and then a boy scout until 3rd grade. After that scouting became too much of a timesink for my parents to keep up with so I stopped. It was fun while it lasted though.
>>
>>817106
Reporting
>>
>>817106
Eagle Scout here. Got it I'm 2012.
>>
Any Arrowmen (Order of the Arrow) here? I kept my Vigil back in 2014.
On a side note, I feel like I didn't actually earn it and I'm conflicted as to whether I should be proud or ashamed.
>>
>>821919
Vigil member here. Remember that they are given not for what you have done, but for what you are expected to do in the future

>Or your council has a lot of seats to fill each year and your sponsor just applied you at the right time

It can go either way. Personally I wear it as a sign that I'm supposed to be the epitome that is scouting and conduct myself in that manner the best I can
>>
>>821919

Only did ordeal, was fun. I just remember that everyone's family came to the ceremony except mine. I think that's what ended scouts for me.
>>
>>816668
I bet you have a thight pussy
>>
>>822006
My council is huge, and therefore has many spots, but they generally only fill half of them. The reason I'm not sure I earned it is because I heard through the grapevine that during the selection process, the nobody but the committee chair knew who I was. The committee chair apparently pushed it through, and I'm worried he only did that because we are good friends and joined scouting at the same time in the same troop. I know it's a dedication to future service, but I'm afraid I won't live up to it and that I was only selected to keep the vigil because I was friends with the right person.
>>
>>817106
L I F E
I
F
E
>>
>>817106
Twin Rivers Council reporting in
>>
>>820775
CAC BOYS WW@ FC HERE WE GO BBY
>>
>>821919
Vigil is a meme. It practically comes down to being in the place at the right time, along with the potential brown nosing and nepotism that can come along with muh secrect clubs.
>>
>>824085
There are definitely some people who have it that don't deserve it, but at least in my council, the vast majority who have kept their vigil deserved it. What council are you from?
>>
>>824406
I'm from a large council, so we have slots to fill. If you get nominated and anyone just happens to know your name and think decently of it you'll probably end up with it. CAC anyways, even though we have our own programs competing with OA
>>
>>816668
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2fmZ2C2CdA
>>
>>821915
Same year as well. Far East Council.
>>
>>825466
What's the Far East Council like? Can you explain what it is? I know it's all over Asia, but I don't understand how that's part of BSA
>>
>>822222
WITNESSED
>>
i don´t know other groups but i was in the scouts in Germany when i was 9

you meet 1 day per week in the communal center and play dumb kinder garden games (i don´t know what they are called in englisch)
then the group supervisor´s lost the control and some kid got bullied all kids just screamed and raged until it was over

(((/out/))) activities were the Camps 3 a year
fall camp in some youth-hostel 1 week dump games 1 night walk

Pentecost camp 2 weeks with kothes not even a campfire they stet up gas cookers beside that dump games. no real scout activities

1 summer camp 4 weeks but i left the scouts before that because it is most likely the same shit beside its longer and more expensive
>>
>>825498
Diffrent Anon, but iirc Far East Council and the other overseas councils exist so that Americans living overseas for work can have their kids join the BSA. e.g. One kid in my troop's parents did a bunch of work for the Beijing Olympics. There was a BSA troop setup for him and the kids of the other American Workers so that they could continue doing scouting even though they were in China. When it came time to move back to the US the transfer was easy as it was from one BSA Troop to another.

>>816862
Most Merit Badges aren't really about knowledge or skill. With the exception of many of the Eagle required Badges the majority of Merit Badges don't actually teach that much.A big part of it is about experiencing new things and building interest in those things. I've met countless scouts who ended up choosing their career based on a merit badge they got as a kid.

>>817106
Made Eagle 8/16/2010 OCC
Who else here has been to NCS?
>>
>>826386
The problem with scouting around the world is the wide variation of program and quality.
In the US, a 9 year old "scout" would be a cub scout, which is a program started in order to recruit kids at a younger age. In the US, let alone the world, there are only a few places that foster a quality younger scouting program due to obvious limitations. Kids that age generally aren't ready (at least in this day and age) to do really scouty stuff.
>>
>>816884
>could of
Obviously you never got your basic literacy badge
>>
>>827805
When I was a cub we never even did day hikes or nature walks. I can't even remember what we actually did do. That's why I got bored and quit.
>>
>>828222
Again, the cub program suffers from wide variations in quality. Hell, there's only a few councils here with actual dedicated cub scout day camp programs or other cub programs. Plus Dens and packs often havefewer resources available to them when compared to an actual troops.
>>
>>817106
>got my eagle in 2012
>last month I happened to be in the area during a troop meeting
>decided to go to see what's up
>new scoutmaster is a gigantic cunt and the whole troop is awful now
>actually see the sadness in the older scouts eyes as I remind them how great the troop was 5 years ago
Fuck, that's depressing.
>>
In us now only for collage. Nobody joins bc they want to. Nobody likes camping in all the troops I've ever seen. Northern CA troop 12 numbers eagle scouts now.
"I was number 262"
"Oh wow I was 462!"
Legit. It's sad. I mean I love the outdoors except for mosquitoes which you can't dodge every second of the day but I've met kids who are morally corrupt and complete shit, fuck everyone over, get eagle, and leave forever. And parents are too involved now, literally they don't give the kids knives anymore because they're afraid they aren't mature enough. Knives. Not even guns or axes, knifes.
>>
>>820836
Girl scouts is a joke, try venture scouts
>>
>>816580
Sash and dasher here
>>
>>829233
The focus on getting Eagle, usually for college or some shit, is the absolute worst part

Yes it's good to have recognition for those who do great but Eagle just attracts people who don't really enjoy scouting as much as want to have the stupid rank.

I made it to star after spending my entire life in Cub Scout/Boy Scouts and I enjoyed the fuck out of camping trips and getting /out/ but a lot of the people were absolute kill joys or elitist about being above me because they took it VERY seriously.
>>
Garden State Council eagle reporting in, got it back in 2014. Been down to Sea Base 3 times (1 scuba 2 keys adventure). I honestly credit my scoutmasters and older scouts for ensuring I'm not a total fuck-up, pretty great thing to do when the leaders are good but absolutely horrendous when they're bad.
>>
>>829237
Fuck you
>>
>>829265
Yeah, I would've turned out to be a real shit stain if not for scouts
>>
File: 1348707331536.jpg (42KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1348707331536.jpg
42KB, 500x333px
Figure this is a good place to tell /out/ my favorite scout story
>at summer camp (based Owasippe)
>every day before dinner we would all gather outside the dinning hall to lower the flag
>we always ended up next to this sitcom-tier troop
>I mean berets, sashes, official scout pants and socks every fucking day
>they would always chant "149 lets go" before leaving to go eat
>our troop was dirty, somewhat disorganized, everyone wore basketball shorts and generally didn't give a fuck how we looked
>we were also troop 149
>our chant was "we're sexy, we're fine, we're one forty nine"
>everytime they did their chant we would respond with ours twice as loud
>our faces when
That troop had the best scouts I ever met. We won all the campwide games every year too which made our lack of organization even better.
>>
>>829235
Venture Scouts is a seriously under advertised program. They get to do all of the fun stuff.
>>
Do they teach hunting, fishing, marksmanshit, tracking, knife use and sharpening, kit preparation, identification of plants and animals, navigation, conservation, self reliance etc?

Or has it been pussified into shittyness?
>>
>>829720
All of those except tracking yes. But depending on who the scout leaders are it can still be pussifyed and shitty.
>>
>>817106
Utah reporting in. Good /out/ state for scouting too, and all the other scouts are Mormons so they're pretty chill.
>>
>>822222
HALY SHET!
>>
>>825498
FEC is composed of American Scouts conducting the BSA program overseas. The difference between FEC and the rest of the scouting program in the US is surprisingly minimal. The kids in the program usually range from kids of US military personnel or civilian contractors depending on where you are. In Japan there's a bit of both.
>>
>>816668
lol why are you looking down the camera is in front of you

and why are you trying to steal trumps haircut
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.