[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whittling!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: DSCF0682.jpg (470KB, 1037x1383px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0682.jpg
470KB, 1037x1383px
Is anybody here into whittling?

Just started to restore tools and to whittle stuff.

Made this wight and snek.

Used a Vic farmer for the snek and a Mora Bushcraft for the wight.

Should I get a Mora frost or an Enzo knife for better a outcome?

Please share your experiences and pieces.

I would love to hear about some insider products and techniques.
Thanks in advance.
>>
File: DSCF0689.jpg (280KB, 1037x1383px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0689.jpg
280KB, 1037x1383px
>>816554
Snek
>>
>>816554
I used to make small stuff like keychains and spoons/forks while camping
Never been any good tho
>>
File: tajima.jpg (71KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tajima.jpg
71KB, 500x500px
>>816554
Sorry no pics but I have done some whittling. I use Mora Companion and I'm happy with it.

Unless you consider it cheating, get another knife with only 2-3 cm blade for details. You can do things you can't do with a regular knife plus it's safer. A box cutter with snap off blades can be used as well, but it needs to have a lock with a screw.

If you don't have much experience, practice at home first. If you make a mistake you can hurt yourself very bad.

>I would love to hear about some insider products
In the Finnish army there's a tradition of whittling a thing called 'Leirikyrpä', a wooden cock. No one knows how, when or why the tradition got started. I still have mine as a keepsake.
>>
I just make spoons and the odd bowl with my knife/axe/chisel. Sadly I am no good at it but yet I can make a perfect joint for a house.
>>
I really really want to carve a kuksa, ive tried 3 times now but they ALWAYS FUCKING CRACK

how do i prevent this? am i just doing it wrong? and i trying to get it too thin? i never thin is less then a thickness of my thumb.

im not using greenwood, ive tried birch and beech both have cracked
>>
File: 20160718_131752i.jpg (2MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
20160718_131752i.jpg
2MB, 2016x1512px
>>816554

I was out yesterday for a while whittled my wife a little love (tea) spoon at the lake. I had to ember carve the bowl because the it was too delicate to do with my Opinel. First time I've ever done it that way and I was shocked at how well (and fast) it worked

She took it into work today and blu tacked it to her monitor. apparently there were a few jealous women who's husbands/boyfriends are in for an ear full tonight lol
>>
>>816555
RADOO!
>>
>>818050
>dat logo
>>
>>818050
>husbands/boyfriends are in for an ear full tonight
Probably be a few more single and happy men tomorrow.
My wife tries to give me crap about something someone else gave their gf/spouse is the day I tell her to pack her shit and GTFO, especially that no talent piece of whittlin'.
>>
>>816554
>>816554
You are going to paint that thing like a live gnome then leave it in a troll infested forest for them to stomp on aren't you?

Dick move man, not cool....
>>
>>817915
Could be a temperature thing, what do you treat them with when you're finished carving?
>>
>>818050
Awesome handle design there, anon
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.