[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Out/mobiles / QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: Golf R roof rack.jpg (99KB, 797x598px) Image search: [Google]
Golf R roof rack.jpg
99KB, 797x598px
Really close to buying a Golf R

AWD, 30mpg, 4 doors, and looks great with a roof rack and bike carrier. It's the perfect all-in-one for me, with some minor modifications necessary to mount the bike hitch rack

What do you think, /out/? Not an overland vehicle by any means, but more than enough for gravel, ice, snow, and steep roads

Also, Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread general
>>
>>816494
awd is a scam.
>>
>>816762
>>816762
because my nissan sentra can go more places than that golf just because of ground clearance. I have absent midedly backed down a very steep icy slope once and my snow tires and 2wd got me out just fine.
>>
>>816769
That wasn't really ground clearance. That was Allah.
>>
File: i-2JkXLdv-L.jpg (96KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
i-2JkXLdv-L.jpg
96KB, 800x451px
Do your research as far as maintenance, size, and capabilities.

If you don't plan on doing any offroading with it, it'll probably be OK. Even gravel I don't think I'd want to do much of in a car like that.

Nothing wrong with it if it's what you want.

Me, i'm keeping my 3/4-ton. It has a skid plate and it's tall enough I can climb under it comfortably.
And it'll pull (and stop) 7k lbs of trailer and shit over 10,000ft mountain passes at 75m/h.

>Select all images with commercial trucks
>>
>>816979
Was looking at a 1/2 ton chevy with a 350 Vortec, but decided that for now I can only insure one vehicle and I want it to be fast (Planning on installing IE 450T kit later), practical, efficient, and sc/out/ capable

The truck bed cap/camper will have to wait methinks
>>
File: FILE3042_-L.jpg (90KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
FILE3042_-L.jpg
90KB, 800x600px
>>816982
I was seriously considering an 8.1L Vortec (>dat Allison transmission) before I found my Power Wagon.

I was a little concerned that the 5.7L wouldn't have the guts to get things done, but between the motor and gearing it does breddy gud. I still think the 6.4L Hemi in the new PW would be a real good fit for my application.

For fast and efficient, I have a 1WD. Only 60-something horse, but it's 270lbs fueled/oiled/ready-to-ride. 50-ish mpg around town. Insurance on that rig is about $200/yr.
>>
>>816494
>30mpg

It won't do that very often, you're better off expecting about 25 out of it. It's a great car to drive, it's fast as shit, and it does everything else you said it does, but it's not economical in the slightest.
>>
>>>/o/
>>
>>816494
The Golf R will be fun, but it will not be good off-road. Even in snow with the AWD, you will likely want a set of winter wheels with some Blizzaks if it comes with some sporty summer tires that are rock hard below 40F.

Ground clearance and tires probably make a bigger difference than AWD. And AWD on smaller cars like that is a world away from the 4WD on serious SUVs like Range Rovers. If you don't have locking diffs and you get in a position where one wheel loses traction, you can get fukt.

I would still buy the Golf R, but just go grab a cheap Jeep or something if you really need to hit some rough trails.
>>
>>817037
Depends who you ask and where you live. 30mpg is a rough figure, my '05 GTI will get between 29 and 26 depending on the tail wind on the highway, and the EPA rating is worse than that (on top of the fact it's nearing 140k miles). Just optimistic I suppose

>>817002
I really do want a truck (or a body-on-frame SUV) but I really don't think I'd use it very often, as I have nothing to tow with it anyway. Once I set my eyes on dirtbikes again, I'll probably get a cheap 90's K1500 and toss the bike in the bed. I miss two strokes so bad... And the problem right now with insuring another vehicle is my age - at 19, my rates are pretty high especially with 2 points on my license from an at-fault wreck a few years ago. Don't drive tired folks...

>>817065
It's more of a feature for highway driving in inclement conditions - I've already driven through Utah and Colorado last November in a 2wd Xterra with half gone A/T tires, and that was more than enough for me. And the plan is to get a set of wheels to use as winter wheels, can't find the pic though
>>
>>816494
If you're considering a hyper hatch why bother with anything thats not the Focus RS. Almost 60 more horse power, a real handbrake, more trunk space. Unless you're a pleb who can't drive a stick
>>
File: 1445655338724.jpg (188KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1445655338724.jpg
188KB, 600x450px
>>817002
>he needs to wear a helmet to drive somewhere

what a pleb
>>
>>818726
My first car was an '02 Mustang GT with the 5 speed standard - the problem with the Focus RS is it's super boy-racery, which is not at all my style. The Golf is more subtle, and the price I'm about to pay for it (model is a mk. 6 that's fully loaded, 6-speed, 3 years old with 30k miles on it) I could buy a bolt on kit good for 410whp on 91 octane with about $10k to spare - just because the RS is brand new and not selling below MSRP really anywhere

Think conservative wheels, and maybe an APR or IE badge under the passenger tail light opposed to the R badge.
>>
Red led lights, /out/, when and where to use them?

I'm tempted to take just the one head lamp and use the red function exclusively, with a small backup torch ready to go, as I value and prefer my night vision, but what are the opinions?
>>
>>818908
Red light offers worse visual acuity than green, but as long as it's dim any color is fine
>>
I like (older) rwd Volvo's. Anything in the range of 1994 to 1980 is going to be, generally speaking, dependable as fuck and a good car to learn about car shit. I have a 94 940 turbo, and it's plenty comfortable with crawling up mountain roads and starting in single digits. They do carry a heavy hipster tax (muh boxy design) and generally get atrocious mileage (I average about 12-15), but they are designed to be reliable and easy to work on.
>>
>>818733
>He doesn't wear a helmet in the car
Enjoy your concussion faggot
>>
>>819474
Wearing helmets in a street car is illegal, anon
>>
they're not the most reliable cars to own if you're going to go /out/ing alot
not the cheapest to maintain but eh
if you're not buying it new these are your main concerns
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.