[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Water Filters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: lifestraw.jpg (20KB, 426x640px) Image search: [Google]
lifestraw.jpg
20KB, 426x640px
i want to go for a one week hike. should i get one? need advice on a good filter system. you guys got any recomendations?
>>
>>816276
I use a Sawyer mini. I'm not ded yet. Truly, a filter is overkill so long as you have fire and a metal container -- boil, cool, drink. That second step isn't really necessary, though.

Lifestraw a shit, clogs too fast among other reasons.
>>
I filter with iodine tablets.

Easier.
>>
File: filters.jpg (197KB, 1024x621px) Image search: [Google]
filters.jpg
197KB, 1024x621px
>>816276

I had a MSR miniworks EX and while it works quite well it is very large. I replaced it with a Sawyer Mini and a large Platypus bag for dirty water. The Sawyer is more awkward and time consuming, but much, much smaller. The small increase in time and work necessary to filter the same volume of water is worth the drastic reduction in size and weight in my opinion.

(not my photo; I gave my miniworks away so I can't take a comparison shot myself)
>>
>>816281
>>816320
Killing pathogens isn't the only thing that needs to be done to treat water.
A filter also removes chemicals and particulates. Which boiling and iodine tablets don't do.
>>
>>816336

I know

Which is why you don't use stagnant water.

Though, dams and similarly large collection pools are fine. I use dam water with tablets.
>>
I have the lifestraw with the .65l bottle that you pictured, I use it for day hike when I feel I'll drink more than my 2L waterbladder, mostly I fill it with water that I drink in the morning, then I drink form the bladder, and if I short, I use the lifestraw to take water for anywhere and carry on.
>>
Most people on the PCT are using the Sawyer regular size, which has a much higher flow rate than the mini. It's a marvel of engineering. When you might be treating water several times per day, it doesn't make sense to setup a fire, break out the cookset and wait 15 minutes to boil a liter. Doing the same with a Sawyer takes about a minute.
>>
>>816344
>Which is why you don't use stagnant water
Sometimes you have no choice.
>>
>>816336
A filter doesn't remove chemicals. It can't remove anything dissolved in the water, i.e. salt.
>>
>>816447
The new life straw steel can remove some, since it also has an integrated charcoal filter.
>>
>>816336
>A filter also removes chemicals

I hope it removes that pesky h2o chemical too
>>
>>816447
>>816701
You can separate things that are dissolved in water, faggot. Learn to chemistry.
You can remove dissolved organic compounds from water, e.g. pesticides, with a charcoal filter through surface adsorption. You can even remove salt from water with a membrane through reverse osmosis.
>>
>>816325
holy shit I've had that exact same MSR filter for something like 8 years
10/10 filter you got there
>>
I have Iodine tablets, metal cup and a filter. Let my buddy try the filter out and said it was some of the best water he's had.

Personally I'm very patient when I hike and camp so I don't mind boiling. I've waited thirty minutes for a cup of coffee so it doesn't bother me much. Havent used my tablets yet. Havent needed to.
>>
I have a sawyer mini. What can I do to remove chemicals and such from water? A previous user said charcoal filter, should I just get a charcoal straw filter of sort?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.