[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's in your first aid kit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 9

File: small-first-aid-kit.png (138KB, 344x304px) Image search: [Google]
small-first-aid-kit.png
138KB, 344x304px
What's in your first aid kit?
>>
aids. the first one.
>>
A bandage, vacuum sealed (some sort of combat version, got used to it in the army so i bought 2 of the same for /out/) and a tourniquet (same here, got some training on it in the army).
Other than that, some meds and such (pain depressants, anti inflamatory, some saline, desinfectant etc), band-aids, sports tape and a few other bits and bobs.

Im hesitant to use things I havn't had any training/instruction on how to use, so for trauma or catastrophic hemorrhage I only use things Ive had training in using.
>>
>>815457
Condom.
>>
first aid stuff
>>
>>815457
>What's in your first aid kit?
duck tape and superglue
>>
>>815492
>>815628
>>815634
>>815648
Is it just summer or has this board finally done the inevitable?
>>
Mine (which I put inside the glovebox)

>tons of alcohol swabs and bandages
>ethyl alcohol
>wet wipes
>aspirin
>painkiller
>qtips, cotton buds and sealed napkins/asswipes
>gauze and scissors
>tapes

Most of it I got from hotels or restaurants. Even the container ia actually a sandwich container I got for free
>>
>>815651
relax dude when the hundred thousandth first aid kit thread pops up you just can't take it seriously anymore.
altho you can fix everything with duck tape and superglue.
>>
>>815457

Tape, gauze, bandaids, Lg size bandages
Steri-Strips
Super glue
Iodine pads
Alcohol pads
4oz bottle contact lense saline solution

Suture material: 3-0 Prolene, 3/8 curve, 24mm reverse-cutting needle
Adson suture forceps
Needle driver

Needle nose tweezers
Needle nose scissors

1% Hydrocortisone Cream
Clotrimazole Cream (anti fungal)

MEDS:
Immodium AD
Caffeine

Ibuprofen
Tylenol
Aspirin

Benadryl
Zyrtec
Prednisone
Meclizine

-Bulk silica desiccant packets for moisture absorption
-2x2" plastic ziplock jewelry baggies to store pills
>>
>>815738
>Ibuprofen
>Tylenol
into the garbage it goes, for pain if you don't want to go to opiates then diclofenac especially in rapid soluble form is the best
>Benadryl
>Zyrtec
overdoing it imo... also there are better second gen antihistamines
>Prednisone
>Meclizine
okay i guess
>>
>half dozen ibuprofen
>half dozen bandaids
>1" fabric tape
>ace bandage

inb4 all the rx-fags lose their shit about how superior all their meds that they don't know how to use and that will expire before they get used are.
>>
>>815750
i would have no problem with ibuprofen if it didn't fuck up your kidneys and would actually do anything for the pain. it doesn't really work for me or my gf either. that's why i say it's shit and in case you really need a pill not just your head hurts a little (which really is not an emergency) they are all but useless but dangerous to take when dehydrated nevertheless.
>>
>>815753
they work well for me for general muscle pain which is why i keep them. if i need bigger painkillers than that i then i have bigger problems.

also i was mostly inb4ing the retards who always insist everyone get an epipen, ignoring the fact that you need a scrip, and who say they carry a laundry list of antibiotics like they know when to use them and how to dose them, and shit like nitro or insulin like they wouldn't kill someone before they save someone with them. but "muh narcs" is right up there on the retard list, too, tee bee aitch.
>>
Ace bandage, a lot of ibuprofen, safety pin, lighter, blister pads. I have a bunch of bandaids too that I'll probably get rid of since I never use them. Hell I don't really use blades while /out/, just have a tiny pair of scissors to cut open food packets.
>>
>>815756
>if i need bigger painkillers than that i then i have bigger problems.
that's what i'm saying shit has no place in a first aid kit for what it can do, carry them by all means use them for convenience but in an emergency it's worthless.
for me 4-600mg of ibuprofen equals in effect to a can of beer as far as painkilling goes. but beer does not fuck up your kidneys as nsaid does.
>>
A live badger
>>
>>815760
congratulations completely missing the point of what you quoted. i wasn't saying
>if i'm more hurt than that then i'm more hurt than that
i was saying
>if i'm more hurt than ibuprofen will handle then i'm in some fucked up shit and have bigger problems than what painkillers i'm carrying
but please, tell me about how you're an er doc and blahblahblah like 80% of you rxfags love to do
>>
>>815771
nah i'm not an er fag and i don't think most of them give legit advice but there are pointless stuff people put in faks and weak ass pain killers are the top of the list.

if the pain is not too big you can just ignore it it's not an emergency where you touch your fak, if the pain is severe you are immobilized you need to keep your shit together nevertheless they won't help you one bit.

i'm waiting for people putting flavored drink powders in their faks now or maybe nail polish in case they have a nail polish related accident innawoods.
>>
>>815807
You have never experienced real pain
>>
>>815807
thank you for confirming that you've never spent any time at altitude, or done anything strenuous enough /out/ to get sore then wanted a little comfort to spend the night on the ground

for further politeness you should trip so we can filter you
>>
>>815760
>in an emergency it's worthless.

I disagree. If someone is being transported with a painful injury it is helpful. Opioid analgesics are recommended by Wilderness Medicine society for expedition med kits when there is increased potential for trauma.
>>
>>815824
define real pain i mean there are degrees (like where not even morphine helps) i have yet to experience but i was in enough pain that i couldn't rest or sleep without meds. i had burns, broken bones and shit but nothing was so bad than a tooth root infection. i had to bang me head into the wall even on painkillers to get some relief.

>>815831
sure i was in discomfort a little headache or soreness is no good reason to do drugs you fucking pussy. last time i camped i burned my hand 2nd degree, all it needed was to keep it cool. hurt like hell tho if i didn't. no over the counter painkiller would have helped one bit.
>>
>>815457
EDC FAK in my wallet has bare basics: 4 regular band-aids, 4 butterflies, 4 moleskin, 4 each ibuprofen and naproxen, 2 2"2 sterile gauze pads. The NSAIDs are not to kill pain, they are to reduce inflammation (clarifying because earlier posters).

Car FAK has 100 cloth band-aids, 200 moleskin, 48 2"2 gauze, 48 4"2 gauze, 10 single use superglue, snake bite kit, 4 tubes of glucose tablets (I think there are 12 in each) bottle of saline, 10 eye wash cups, 5 sterile suture kits (preassembled with needle and suture), 12 splints, triple antibiotic ointment, anti itch cream, burn cream, 10 Mylar blankets. I put lots of miles on my car, and I like to have my passengers covered in the event of.

BOB FAK is milsurp IFAK, it's got some stuff I have no training with. Like, when am I going to use quickclot? On the other hand, if I need it, best to have it, and maybe there will be a medic nearby who can make better use of it than I can. I've read up on all the things in it, so I should be able to use them well enough to save a life should the need arise.
>>
>>815852
>Opioid analgesics are recommended by Wilderness Medicine society for expedition med kits when there is increased potential for trauma.
sure. did you read anything i wrote tho?
>>
>>815756
>laundry list of antibiotics like they know when to use them and how to dose them

Pretty easy to plan ahead with a list for the likely scenarios

Animal bite - Augmenting 875mg BID 7days

UTI - Macrobid 100mg BID 5 days

Tick bite>24hrs - Doxycycline 100mg once

Yeast infection - Diflucan 150mg once
>>
>>815747
>>Ibuprofen
>>Tylenol
>into the garbage it goes, for pain if you don't want to go to opiates then diclofenac especially in rapid soluble form is the best

Lol Diclofenac. Motrin/Naproxen are as good and 1/10th the price.

Tylenol if anyone has kidney/ulcer/blood pressure issues or is on a blood thinner.

>>Benadryl
>>Zyrtec
>overdoing it imo... also there are better second gen antihistamines

Benadryl is still first line for mild allergic reactions and can help with severe ones also. It can also be useful as a sleep aid and for nausea.
>>
>>815457
My kayak FAK:

>4"x4" nonstick gauze
>medical tape
>tripple antibiotic ointment
>1.5oz 70% isopropyl alcohol
>3x small fabric pandaids
>3x medium fabric bandaids
>3x large fabric bandaids
>3x knee-sized fabric bandaids
>nitrile gloves
>signaling whistle

How'd I do?
>>
>>815869
>Motrin/Naproxen are as good and 1/10th the price.
not what people are saying as far as i can tell
also found this
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9407756
>>
>>815872
>How'd I do?

I'd take a mini bottle of sunblock for emergencies. Add quality needle nose tweezers and small set of scissors. Don't bother with nitrile gloves, they wear out and break just from being stored. Carry heavier working gloves like mechanix or leather plainsman gloves.
>>
File: meh.jpg (5KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
meh.jpg
5KB, 272x185px
>>815862
>animal bite
either quit trying to hand feed wild animals, or be more worried about rabies than infection
>tick bite
pull it out and move on. better yet if you feel something tickling look to see what it is.
>uti/yeast infection
unclean femanon plz go
>>
>>815876
sunblock isn't first aid, so I have it in my dry bag outside of the FAK. I've also got a leatherman micro PS4 in my utility kit.
>>
>>815885
>>animal bite
>either quit trying to hand feed wild animals, or be more worried about rabies than infection

Lol...people bring pets /out/ all the time. Dog runs away with pack of hotdogs, kids tries to grab it away, bite ensues. Happens a lot. Human bites are included too.

And yes, rabies is a concern for some wild animals but these are rare and not what we're talking about.

>>tick bite
>pull it out and move on. better yet if you feel something tickling look to see what it is.

Ticks with the most Lyme risk are the small immature ones 1-2mm and are hard to notice. If a tick is attached 24+ hrs Lyme risk becomes very high. At that point you have a 48-72 hr window for post exposure prophylaxis with a one-time dose of Doxy. If you miss this and then develop the erythema migrans rash (bullseye lesion) then you are stuck doing 2 WEEKS of Doxy or 3 weeks amoxicillin. That really sucks because doxycycline causes severe photosensitivity skin reactions if you get sun exposure while taking it.

>>uti/yeast infection
>unclean femanon plz go

Havent seen it but seems itd be more of a risk innawoods w people not having much TP or clean clothes, no showers, hot days, hiking, fuking, etc

They're just the most likely situations. They also double for other things. Augmentin + Flagyl could be started for early appendicitis while you're evacuating a person. Augmentin could help treat a tooth abscess. Lots of different uses.
>>
>>815904
>people bring pets /out/ all the time. Dog runs away with pack of hotdogs, kids tries to grab it away, bite ensues
so you're at a developed campsite with grills, dogs and kids, but you're too far from a hospital to wait for antibiotics?
>you have a 48-72 hr window for post exposure prophylaxis
like you'd have any idea if you hit that window and wouldn't need to come in for tests anyways when you get home if you're that paranoid
>Havent seen it
then why single it out among the million other possibilities for infection?
>/out/ MD
liar
>>
>>815912
>>people bring pets /out/ all the time. Dog runs away with pack of hotdogs, kids tries to grab it away, bite ensues
>so you're at a developed campsite with grills, dogs and kids, but you're too far from a hospital to wait for antibiotics?

you're a contrarian little shit aren't you?

I've seen dogs hiking with people 10+ mi from the nearest road. "Developed campsites" can also be far from medical care as well.

>>you have a 48-72 hr window for post exposure prophylaxis
>like you'd have any idea if you hit that window and wouldn't need to come in for tests anyways when you get home if you're that paranoid

huh? the situation is this: Day #2 of a 5 day backpacking trip, find an engorged tick on yourself. No way of knowing how long it was there, but since you've been around ticks the past 2 days you must assume it could have been attached 24hrs, and therefore transmitted the bacteria to you. To prevent Lyme you can at that point either take Doxycycline x1 within 72 hours and have a normal remainder of your trip, or you can wait until getting back by which time 72 hours is past and you'll need 2-3 weeks of antibiotics instead of a one time dose. Or you can just wait to get an EM rash or early disseminated Lyme. Testing the first 3 weeks after a bite does no good, you haven't made antibodies yet and it will be negative.

>>Havent seen it
>then why single it out among the million other possibilities for infection?

Because it is one of the most common ones? See it all the time in the regular world, no reason it can't happen innawoods too.

>>/out/ MD
>liar

ha, ok.
>>
>doxycycline

How do I buy and which?
>>
>>815457
-Hourglass, Z style, and regular bandaids, burn cream, triple biotic, lube, guaze pads, and compressed rolls, little tape, waterproof tape, sunblock, lip balm, superglue, scissors, xanax, Tylenol, Advil, aspirin, antacid, gloves, chest seal, instaclot, flashlight, whistle, space blanket, twizzers, anti shitmyself pills,wet wipes, antibacterial wipes
>>
>>816098
>>doxycycline
>How do I buy and which?

Any generic Doxycycline 100mg tablets/capsules is fine.

Could try just asking your doctor honestly. I'd give it. Or tell them you're going hiking in Haiti or something and need malaria prophylaxis. It's sold online but I wouldn't trust it.
>>
File: cl.png (108KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
cl.png
108KB, 228x221px
>>816095
>I've seen dogs hiking with people 10+ mi from the nearest road.
and you've seen kids and hot dogs that far out, too? not to mention 10 miles is 3 hours, max, if serious. still not enough to need to carry antibiotics.

>/out/ md
>liar
>ha, ok.
prove it, faggot. easy for anon to claim be whatever he wants.
>inb4 scrubs and a lab coat.
i own those, too, nigga.
>>
File: lol.gif (978KB, 442x320px) Image search: [Google]
lol.gif
978KB, 442x320px
>>816232
>prove it, faggot. easy for anon to claim be whatever he wants.
>>inb4 scrubs and a lab coat.
>i own those, too, nigga.

list the proof you want and you shall receive. no identifying info though.
>>
>>815595
Tourniquets aren't used in first aid anymore because it kills the limb, they're only used in the military because combat personnel are in immediate risk of being killed and team mates have minimal time to apply bandages.
>>
>>816098
>>816105
It's labeled for birds and has "not for human use" on the bottle and description, but it is the same pill that is used for humans. I buy the amoxicillin 500mg tabs from this site and use them for my frequent sinus infections.

www.campingsurvival.com/bird-biotic-doxycycline-100mg-30-tablets-tl-02-50036-t02.html
>>
>>816391
>use them for my frequent sinus infections.

You should prob stop doing that.

But nice link. All of those are good antibiotics to have.
>>
>>816458
I reliably contract a sinus infection every spring and autumn due to allergies. So figure twice a year, 6-8 months apart. When I take it I start feeling better by day 3.

The alternatives are:
>Suffer for 3 weeks
>See a doctor for $100, buy and take the steroid prescribed to me, and suffer for a week
And unfortunately I am not made of money.
>>
File: mcboGQj.jpg (677KB, 2048x1665px) Image search: [Google]
mcboGQj.jpg
677KB, 2048x1665px
>>815457
Mine is pic related.

I keep her in my trunk and if I get a boo-boo I pop it open and she nurses my wound.
>>
>>816472
Where can I buy one of these and how much do they cost?
>>
>>816296
figure it out on your own, cocksucker. burden of proof's on you.
>>
>>816496
>/out/ MD is willing to provide proof and asks what would suffice
>lol figure it out cocksucker
>lol burden of proof
Just stop, /out/ MD - the troll clearly doesn't care and just wants to keep putting you down no matter what sort of proof you provide. Like you said earlier, just a contrarian cunt.
>>
>>816508
>i'm the troll for calling someone on their bullshit
>not the "i'm namefagging as a doctor so i must really be one" faggot
yeah, nah

and i have yet to see a reasonable explanation to carry antibiotics.
>>
>>815457
stop putting useless shit in your fak /out/!
keep fak to minimal fist aid related, mainly stop bleeding and help with poisons if applicable.

painkillers and whatnot are really not that important. imodium and calcium and aspirin or other blood thinner are legit first aid stuff as they can in fact save a life in specific circumstances.

your anti sneezing meds and painkillers and sunscreen are convenience items. they got nothing to do with first aid. baindaids are the same anything a bandaid can handle can do without it.

your main focus should be on iodine (non toxic variant), 4x4 and gauze rolls, small space blanket. everything else can be either worked around or nonessential at all.

extras: something that helps with severe allergic reactions (like you stumble into a beehive) and diarrhea (this becomes essential if rescue is days away) and blood clots.
>>
>>816524
>and i have yet to see a reasonable explanation to carry antibiotics.
this! you carry a fraction as first aid of what you would to an expedition. first aid counts on rescue emt services to come within an hour.
>>
>>816297
Yeah, thats one reason to why I was hesitant to get one. However, if there is an accident on the road or so, they may be usefull as they (hopefully) wont have to sit for a long period of time. They can however sit for an hour or more if needed with limited risk of dead limbs.

When innawoods I know they serve limited purpouse, but its a part of my kit regardless as I hunt quite a bit and often around other people, so thats mainly if somebody fucks up and shoots something that isnt a deer.
>>
>>816297
modern tqs are better but still require training to apply properly. i wouldn't put it in a first aid kit either.
>>
>>816551
also you can improvise a tq any time basically so an other good reason not to pack one.
>>
>>816560
I prefer to use a "real" one as it often is more effective and can be deployed faster if need be. Also, it weight next to nothing, so I think might as well.
>>
>>816297
Tourniquets are used if there has been a squashed limb. if a limb is trapped for over 20 minutes the blood goes bad and when the pressure is released it releases the bad blood back to the heart. tourniquets are used so you lose a limb instead of your life.
>>
>>815595
he vacuum sealed bandage is probably a trauma dressing. Just a pad with a bandage that can be tightened for extra pressure.

>>816297
>>816551
>>816882
>>816547
TQ's are fine to have, but only use them if you simply CANNOT stop the bleed with direct pressure, dressings and elevation. Unless they've had a traumatic amputation, you probably don't need one. If someone's had a crush injury, don't put on a TQ just to lift it before EMS arrives. Personally, I'd prefer to carry a triangular bandage. It has other uses and if I absolutely need a TQ, I can use that and a pair of shears to twist tighten it.
>>
>>815761
A bowl of goldfish
>>
>>817055
>Unless they've had a traumatic amputation, you probably don't need one.
>>816882
>if a limb is trapped for over 20 minutes the blood goes bad
not really kalium gets released from muscles which will kill you if it gets into the main blood stream out of a hospital i think it stops your heart or something.

in both cases you can just use makeshift tq as limb viability is not much of a concern.
where a proper tq would be better than a makeshift is arterial punctures on limbs. more even pressure on larger surface helps shittons in recovery of functions later. but to simply save a life you can use a belt if you fold a t-shirt or towel under the belt to distribute pressure more evenly and pad it some it could be just as good as commercial one tho.
>>
>>817198
and we arrived to the exact reason why professional medics use commercial tq, they have a job to do sometimes more than one wounded time spent on one must be minimized and with all the shit hanging from mil belts nobody wants to take it off it makes sense for them not to improvise.

for a fucking civvie that stabbed himself in the leg cutting bacon in his lap the entire circumstances are different. you should have a belt tho if you don't have one it's much more difficult.

an other thing is you don't want to stop the bleeding you want to control it. with added pressure proper position elevation of limb you have to hold out till emt arrives. some bleeding can be okay especially at first. better not to completely cut circulation. if you lose too much just tighten it but never release it.
>>
>>817198
>not really kalium gets released from muscles which will kill you if it gets into the main blood stream out of a hospital i think it stops your heart or something

Crush injuries can result in the breakdown of muscle cells and the release of intracellular contents, including potassium. All sorts of shit happens, but potassium and other content can cause cardiac arrest.

Seriously though, a FAK should have a triangular bandage. They're very useful, and when used as a TQ you can use something like a pair of shears to tighten it, unlike a belt.
>>
>>817326
>you can use something like a pair of shears
well you really don't need that with a belt it has it's builtin lever to tighten up. more even and wider pressure surface also.
but whatever, the kerchief is not a bad item not in a fak mind you just have one they are good for like 8 or 10 uses.
>>
>>816297
>Tourniquets aren't used in first aid anymore because it kills the limb, they're only used in the military because combat personnel are in immediate risk of being killed and team mates have minimal time to apply bandages.

>>816882
>Tourniquets are used if there has been a squashed limb. if a limb is trapped for over 20 minutes the blood goes bad and when the pressure is released it releases the bad blood back to the heart. tourniquets are used so you lose a limb instead of your life.

Tourniquets are actually becoming more accepted the past 10 years as all the experience and observational research on them comes back from Iraq and Afghanistan. They're shown to improve bleeding control while not increasing amputation rates. They also have big improvements in overall survival without causing amputations.

About 1-3 hours for tourniquets is usually safe. Orthopedic surgeries routinely use them that long for things like knee replacements. It takes 30-60 minutes before there is any evidence of cellular damage to muscle, which is more vulnerable to ischemia than other tissue like nerves. It is true that potassium, lactic acid, CO2, etc is high in the blood that gets returned to circulation when the tourniquet is releaased but it rarely causes issues. The most common complications are nerve injury if at tourniquet is too tight, or actual increased bleeding if it's too loose. If done right these are rare.

IMO an actual tourniquet device is only useful to carry if expecting combat, because speed is important and major hemorrhages are more likely. They're beneficial for truly life threatening and uncontrollable arterial hemorrhages, which are rare, or when other threats- like people shooting at you- gives no time to try other methods or fully evaluate injuries. If you have a minute you can try other methods and improvise tourniquets. If a severed artery responsible is obvious, simply clamping or tying something around it might be best.
>>
>>817427
>If a severed artery responsible is obvious, simply clamping or tying something around it might be best.
as it is explained in every first aid manual
>>
>>817427
thank you dr. wikipedia, but until we see some proof please fuck off with the namefagging
>>
Can someone tell me which is the best antiseptic and why?
>>
How to treat ringworm on the go? I think I have it.
>>
>>817928
I think just about antifungal cream will work.
>>
>>817925
povidon-iodine
it's non-toxic unlike iodine tincture, keeps better, safe and easy to handle can be used for a great variety of purposes including wounds in the mouth or on mucous membranes not a huge problem if gets in wound. it also kills just about anything it contacts not great taste but can be used to disinfect water too.
>>
>>817925
>>817964
For cleaning wounds, just be careful. It's alright to clean the surrounding area, but too much in the wound itself can impair the body's immune response. Potable water (or ideally saline) can be used to irrigate a contaminated wound instead.

>>817928
Povidone-iodine also works for ringworm.
>>
File: Untitled.png (111KB, 597x365px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
111KB, 597x365px
>>815457
>>
>>815457
Take an actual civilian course. The training i got in the Army was trash compared to what I learned in my EMT course. Granted one is basic and other is more in debt.
>>
>>815760
People use anything less than 800mg ? LOL
>>
>>815853
>bang my head in the wall
Did you cut yourself with all that edge?
I had a bad tooth infection that infected my nerves while being on a COP in Afghanistan. My eyesight was blurry on that side and I couldn't even think straighy. Ibuprofen for a week and a half until I got any help. Never banged my head against a wall.
>>
>>815874
I love that you are comparing a prescription-only painkiller to something you can buy in the first aid aisle at Winco...
>>
File: 005.jpg (1MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
1MB, 2016x1512px
This is mine. I find it quite useful for any problems, and lightweight at the same time. I really had to fight my instincts to be overprepared to make it so small.
>>
>>815664
This. But on a more serious note,
>quikclot (2)
>triangular bandages
>duct tape
>tincture of iodine
>BZK wipes
>steri-strips
>4"x4" gauze (10)
>that brown wrap tape stuff (for wrapping splints to limbs and shit)
>benadryl
>moleskin

If you need anything more than this, you're fucked anyhow. Also, triple antibiotic cream is for fags

>>815862
>BID for animal bite
You spelled rabies immunoglobulin wrong
>>
File: 006.jpg (889KB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
006.jpg
889KB, 1512x2016px
>>818095
2x2 gauze pad
4x4 gauze pad
moleskin
compressed gauze roll
bkz wipes
6 assorted bandaids
steristrips
splinter tweezers
Tegaderm dressings
Loperamide HCL
Length of cohesive bandage wrapped around card.
Roll of 3M Transpore tape

Stored in a Loksak
>>
I guess I'll bite.

I tend to have mine outfitted for the most likely injuries I get when i'm out and about.

Cuts.
Plasters/Bitch Stickers
Wound pads (Various Sizes)
Celox Hemostatic Granules (only for axe injuries, or arterial bleeding, never used it, hope I never will either.)
Duct Tape (to cover the wound pad with a waterproof layer.)
Savlon Antiseptic Cream and Vaseline (Disinfection and cleaning.)

Burns (can't tell you how many times I get glanced by a pot or cup fresh out of the fire)
An empty plastic bag (to fill with water and either dip my hand in or use as a cold pac)
Burn Gel - just a couple of sachets. Never really used them, the bag works just fine.

Foot Care
Tube of Talc.
Blister pads

Meds
Antihistamines (I sometimes flare up if a particular bug bites me, doesn't happen often, but its a bloody pain when the bastard gets me)
Imodium (just incase of explosive shits disorder)
Aspirin (just a basic painkiller, not looking to anything extravagant)
Caffeine Pills (If I gotta stay awake, typically on long drives, these do help some.)

Misc
a small mirror (to deal with cuts on my face, eye injuries)
scissors (just to get through fabric quicker.)
Tweezers and Tick remover (tweezers are godly, never yet used the Tick remover)
Pack of Tissue Paper (for cleaning wounds or just using as a makeshift bandage for small cuts or pricks)
Head Torch and batteries (It's a shitty little LED torch, but if I ever need a quick lightsource when dealing with an injury, it's in there.)

Cant remember what else if anything else is in there to be honest. But suggestions are welcome, i've been fortunate enough to not need most of the things I bring, and hopefully will never need to.

All the same, never leaving home on a trek without it.
>>
>>818456
Personally I don't think burn gel is necessary. Like you said, cool water works for most burns. Anything particularly severe, you shouldn't use burngel anyway. You'd be better off soaking dressings (preferably saline) and applying that to the wound.

Also, maybe consider ibuprofen or paracetamol/acetaminophen instead of aspirin. I'd argue it's better if your pain killer doesn't run the risk of increasing bleeding if you cut yourself.

Switch out your antiseptic cream for povidone-iodine. It's an antiseptic too, but has more uses outside of first aid.

Consider replacing your tissues with sterile gauze swabs for cleaning.

I'd also recommend a triangular bandage. They're useful.

Other than that, good point on the headtorch. Good item to have.
>>
>>818086
well it's really the monotony that gets me not the pain. the point is the painkillers did not stop the pain. it was not unbearable for any one moment but for hours and hours on yeah any new stronger pain was a welcome distraction.
never tried cutting tho.
>>
>>818090
exactly my point... the fact that otc pain killers are worthless was my entire argument. fortunately i can get prescription pills by asking for them from my doctor. i don't think he would sign me up for opiates but relatively harmless stuff like steroids and antibiotics and stronger nsaid is a go.
>>
>>815457

I am not trained in first aid, MOST injuries I deal with are minor, and so my kit is appropriate to that:

plasters (variety including my favourite knuckle plasters)
blister pads
gauze and 3m tape
one large trauma pad (the idea being I can bind any wound long enough to get help)
alcohol wipes
eyedrops
tweezers
nail clippers
talcum powder
burn cream
insect bite cream
aspirin
ibuprofen
imodium
condoms
micro toothbrush and micro toothpaste
>>
>>818602
>Also, maybe consider ibuprofen or paracetamol/acetaminophen instead of aspirin. I'd argue it's better if your pain killer doesn't run the risk of increasing bleeding if you cut yourself.
i disagree they are all shit painkillers but at least won't help with blood clots.
>I'd also recommend a triangular bandage.
meh it's a convenience item really gauze stripes do the job easily. you can use them for just about anything if you know how.
>Switch out your antiseptic cream for povidone-iodine. It's an antiseptic too, but has more uses outside of first aid.
agreed, all fak should have it it's fucking basic like the gauze.
>>818456
this anon has it fairly well thought out. couple of unnecessary items i would throw out from a fak tho.
>>
>>818701
>i disagree they are all shit painkillers but at least won't help with blood clots.
Sorry, I don't understand the last part. My main point was that aspirin affects blood clotting for many days after use, so an analgesic that isn't an antiplatelet agent is better to take in case of an injury in the future.

But yeah, they're all OTC, so they're not going to be great. But it is what it is.
>>
>>818709
>Sorry, I don't understand the last part. My main point was that aspirin affects blood clotting for many days after use, so an analgesic that isn't an antiplatelet agent is better to take in case of an injury in the future.
enjoy your stroke/heart attack then also we are talking about first aid which is a 1 hour period tops then you are taken into a hospital. don't start to mix shit up.
>>
>>818871
>enjoy your stroke
Don't take aspirin for a suspected stroke. You have no way of knowing if it's a bleed or a clot.

>don't start to mix shit up.
I'm not mixing up anything. Aspirin's antiplatelet action lasts the life of the platelet, over a week. If anon's using aspirin as a general pain relief, and then injures himself a couple days after, his ability to form blood clots will still be inhibited.

I never said don't include aspirin in your kit. I have 2 tablets in mine. I just said consider something else for general pain relief. I carry 6 tablets of both ibuprofen and paracetamol. The space taken is negligible, and I still have the aspirin in case of a heart attack. I just only keep it for that purpose.
>>
>>815457
1. A fuck ton of band-aids of different sizes
2. Bandages
3. A few gauzes of different sizes
4. A small roll of medical tape
5. A pair of disposable medical gloves
6. Hydrogen peroxide
7. Eye dressing
8. Weak painkillers
9. Strong painkillers
10. Tick removal lasso
11. Sugar
12. Small scissors
13. Emergency blanket
I think that's all. Pretty basic but I think it's enough for my needs.
>>
>>818881
if it's a heart attack or a lung stroke or a clot in extremities you would get aspirin as soon as possible anyways. if it's brain stroke sure it's a coin toss but that's rare for young people.

http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/20000601/aspirin-after-stroke-helps-prevent-another
>>
>>818881
>If anon's using aspirin as a general pain relief
who the fuck does that it's weak as shit. better use would be for fever. also i have taken shittons of aspirins in my life i didn't notice any clotting problems in wounds that are external (ie blood meets air). you will not bleed out easier from aspirin that's bullshit. but there are plenty of tricks to use even if that would be the case and your fak will have plenty options to control an external bleed. so i would say totally utterly and absolutely non-issue.
>>
>>818939
>>818942
basically my point is you take aspirin in a fak for dangerous high fever or blood clots, forget the pain killer faggotry! you will get your fix when the emt arrives.
>>
>>818942
>who the fuck does that it's weak as shit.
It does the job most of the time.

> also i have taken shittons of aspirins in my life
That's why it's weak as shit to you, you developed an immunity.
>>
>>815457
I advise tea tree oil because it has a multitude uses from mouthwash to burn treatment.
>>
>>819019
>That's why it's weak as shit to you, you developed an immunity.
nah it was never strong but there were days when i took one almost every day. if you have cold it helps some with the symptoms. that's about the extent of it's use as an nsaid.

for mild headache i take iburophen sometimes, for any real pain some prescription drug.
>>
>>819019

Last week develop grand maul ear infection. Buy fish antibiotics. Will take 3 days to get here. Buy tylenol in vain even though I expect nothing because all these faggots say it's weak and I'm experiencing the most pain I've ever felt in my entire life times two. Two extra strength tylonols later I'm sleeping like a fucking baby.

Tylenol bless.
>>
>>815457

>What's in your first aid kit?

Nothing.
I have been innawoods for many years, camping or hiking, with many different people. Those who brought a first aid bag, were always the one´s who needed it. Me or any of those who did not bring a pack, never suffered any harm, that could not be treated with a cotton handkerchief, like minor cuts.
It is as if they bring it because already plan to have an accident. It is really strange, maybe some people need it to complete their ideal outdoor time.
>>
>>819068
This guy gets it.

Same reason I never lock my door at night, never had a burgla
>>
>>819068
meh i always carry one but never used it so far.
>>
>>815457
MMS (sodium chlorite and citric acid kept separately but combine them to make chlorine dioxide) used to brush my teeth, disinfect, and drunk when ill;
Lugol's Iodine (15%) to disinfect water, dress wounds, and maintaining general thyroid health when one drop is applied to skin;
Dried ginger root used to make tea for digestive issues;
Morphine tablets for dat pain, may as well go all the way if you're gonna include pain-killers;
Gauze, and lots of it.

I also carry urine in my own bladder to dress wounds, to treat insect bites, burns and poison ivy, and to drink for allergies/illness (it's filtered blood which means it includes anti-bodies!, enzymes, amino acids, etc.)
>>
>>819098
Bear Grylls pls go.

Don't you have any elephant shit to squeeze the water out of?
>>
>>819100
I wish...

But if you've ever tasted blood, you may as well have tasted urine- except the urine's a lot cleaner. Your aversion to it is caused by social-stigma and constant exposure to the ammonia stench of the aged urine of other animals when you use urinals- but fresh from your own tap aint no thang, chicken wang!
>>
>>819098
>I also carry urine
Yes you do.
In your diaper at night because you never dried up
Do you wear cloth or disposable diapers? How do you deal with the extra bulk? Did anyone ever catch you wearing diapers outside?
>>
>>819137
>But if you've ever tasted blood, you may as well have tasted urine
I tasted both, I prefer the taste of blood honestly.
>>
>>816882
youre thinking of compartment syndrome from a crush injury i think, if theres a sucking wound in the vein then thatll cause an embolism, never seen it from pressure alone.
t. paramedic
>>
>>819137
One thing i'll say about aged urine, btw- it's an excellent moisturizer due to its urea content and can be found in some of your favorite moisturizers- sometimes even from animal urine. Who needs the weight of chap-stick in their pack when I can practically just piss right onto my own face?

Kiss me, baby ;-* ;-) ;-*
>>
>>819098
Those antibodies and enzymes won't last a second in your stomach. Fuck the amino acids, you have to be some dipshit to not get your essentials in the 21st century.

Ergo your piss is nothing but waste, amigo
>>
>>818939
You don't take aspirin for the prehospital management of a stroke. It can be used for the ongoing management of a post-stroke patient, sure. But prehospitally, no. There's no coin toss, you don't do it.

>>818942
Anon uses it as general pain relief. And besides your personal experience, the evidence that aspirin inhibits clotting is overwhelming. But there's plenty of reasons why it seemingly didn't effect you. If you're a smoker, for example, nicotine negates the antiplatelet effects. It could be as simple as that.

>>819147
Nah, squashed limb he's talking about crush syndrome and rhabdomyoloysis.
>>
>>819205
I'm speaking from years of first-hand experience, and you, from out of your gaping butthole. Next time you have allergies, drink your 1st (and 2nd if you need it) piss and tell me it doesn't go away for the whole day. And the next time you and all your friends give each-other the flu from anal-lingus ('cause I know you love that), drink it repeatedly until you're well (compound those worthless anti-bodies) and tell me you haven't recovered 2x faster than your friends. In fact, if you're drinking it regularly for prevention before it starts going around, you might not even get sick at all (or mild symptoms at best)- however, if you stop before you're better and everyone's still sick, it might take hold as usual.

A glass of piss a day keeps the doctor away, i always say! Cheers
>>
>>819393
You're a Fuckin weirdo mate
>>
>>819393
Whatever you said makes no difference to the fact the hydrochloric acid and antibodies / enzymes = water and bits of antibodies / enzymes.

Dude. You're a walking example of the placebo effect. You may as well be eating your own shit because there's the same amount of nutrient-remnants in it

>tfw my experience of the subject literally comes out of my gaping butthole
>>
>>819879
Placebo effect? I'll take it. Feels good, man. Happy, at least, that you acknowledge your gape.

Now where's that elephant shit...
>>
>>819348
>But prehospitally, no.
it is exactly how it's used. in fact you will get aspirin in the hospital if you didn't took any.
>>
File: Red_dinky.jpg (107KB, 544x897px) Image search: [Google]
Red_dinky.jpg
107KB, 544x897px
>>815457
Here goes:

So, I guess I'm an ultralighter-kinda guy, so I employ a sort of nesting approach, all inside a small, red ditty bag. The bag includes my rep kit as well as items for personal hygiene. So from top down:

>1. Red MYOG spinnaker ditty bag.
Contains a small titanium marbles type knife, a scissor/forceps and a mini bic.
>2. White MYOG cuben fiber ditty bag.
2mm Lawson Glowire, 1mm dyneema, assortment of self-adhesive patches in cuben and nylon, 10 sealed and vacuum packed matches and striker, 40cm gorilla tape.
>3. Two Zip Locs
Pills: Anti-diarreah pills, Pain killers (Tramadol/Morphine, Paracetamol, Voltarol), also Morphine nose spray and Scheriproct if my ass blows (hemmoroid-painkiller). It has happened. It was shit to walk down.
Also, assortment of band-aids and strips, sterile swabs, "burn-aid", a condom and blister aids.
> 4. Personal hygiene
Toilet paper in zip loc, toothbrush and dehydrated tooth paste, and soap in an eye dropper.
>>
>>819981
>this guy loves the cock so much he drinks from it
>>
>>820034
No ambulance service in Australia or the UK administers aspirin for a suspected stroke, and I very much doubt they do in the United States. There's no evidence prehospital administration of aspirin provides any benefit that outweighs the risk.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1118285/
>>
>>815457
calling yourself an /out/ist and needing more than the clothes on your back and the knife in your pocket to deal with any first aid issues.

For shame........
>>
>>820091
>the indignity of rectal administration by paramedics could not be justified.
wtf am i reading???
you guys are weird here general recommendation is as you notice symptoms of blood clot (especially heart attack or in limbs tho) take 3 aspirins before calling the ambulance. in case of stroke i'm gonna as a local emt but to may knowledge it's the same they will give you aspirin.
>>
>>820119
Where are you? Even for ACS, in Australia the recommended dose of aspirin is only 300 mg, or one tablet. There's no strong evidence that higher doses are more effective.

As for stroke, I can give you the guidelines for any ambulance service in Australia. None have aspirin indicated for stroke management.
>>
>>820164
yeah 3 of the 100mg variety
or one 3-500mg

and the most important use is to take after mini-strokes because it has been found that they prevent effectively a later onset of secondary more serious stroke.
>>
>>816472
That's a whole lot of OPAs for a battlefield. Contraindications galore!
>>
>>820275
Yeah I've seen that study. Can't remember exactly, but if it's like most others, aspirin is still effective up to 48 hours later.
>>
These threads get out of hand quickly...
>Painkillers? Narcotics or nothing!
>SAM splint? Fuck those! Use sticks or GTFO!
>TQs? Might as well put it around your neck!
>Need meds? Shove 'em up your ass!
>>
>>820829
first aid dude, first aid. the purpose is to keep someone alive till emt/ambulance arrives. and we are not assuming war conditions and injuries either just a peaceful walk in the local woods.

it's irrational to go beyond the most important basics easily covered by the cheapest faks highlighting gauze in various forms and sterile gloves.
>>
>>820834
Trust me, I am in agreement with you. I just find it funny how extreme some responses get.
>>
>>820839
yeah some people want to bring half a field hospital others say no need for a fak.
i trust the general wisdom of the people putting together faks for vehicles and reviewing their effectiveness to the price every decade or so.
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.