[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tent Vs Hammock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

File: tntvsham.jpg (117KB, 680x837px) Image search: [Google]
tntvsham.jpg
117KB, 680x837px
Hello /out/,

I want a friendly debate on what I should go with. Tent or hammock? I live in BC, Canada and would like to do both winter and summer camping, eventually bowhunting aswell. We definitely have the trees for hammocks however the tops of the rocky mountains are pretty barren and much more suited for tents. I'm sure this has been discussed and argued about time and time again, I was hoping for some solid reasoning why I should go for which. I'm currently leaning towards a lightweight tent/thermabag/sleeping bag set up.

Thank you all.

I made the lovely picrelated for the sake of the thread
>>
>>814087
Fucking in a hammock really sucks.

/thread
>>
>>814087
How can a hammock even work with strong winds?
I don't own a hammock but I think that if you're getting only one of the two then it's always a tent because a hammock is too restrictive in where and when can you use it.
>>
>>814120
I'm guessing with tie down tarp to guard from wind however the wind passing under you is the worst
>>
File: 20160713_085115-picsay.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160713_085115-picsay.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
Both have their merits. You can hang a hammock in places you'd never be able to put a tent because the ground is so uneven. Same story with a tent though, since you can set it up anywhere that's flat.

It really comes down to preference. The reason why people hammock is generally comfort. That's the main argument for hammocks. They're comfy when you're around camp because you always have a chair. You can sit up in one and put your boots on, and not be crawling around on the ground in and out of a tent. Likewise when sleeping there is also the additional comfort of the hammock.

I used to tent camp as a kid, could never get comfortable on an inflatable matress. I tried a hammock and now I'm hooked.

You can make a hammock as warm as a tent, and with the right yarp, as protected from weather as a tent. There is a significant "fiddle factor" with hammocks though. It takes lots of set ups you find what works, lots of time figuring how to best lay, how to best pitch the tarp, what suspension to use, what length ridgeline, ect ect.

With a tent you just buy it. Set it up, and sleep in it. That's it.

Hammocks to me are comfortable. And I like learning about them and constantly tweaking my set up for various reasons. They're unique, and I like that.

Try sleeping in a hammock that's set up properly. If you like it, then it may be the way to go. They aren't for everybody.
>>
>>814087

> I want a friendly debate
> tent vs. hammock on /out/

Hammocks are far more comfy and cozy. Tents are really versatile, and see >>814100
>>
>>814136
This is probably the best tent vs hammock comparison I've read thus far. Kudos.

>>814087

I personally prefer tents. Hammocks are far more comfortable and easier to carry in the summer, but a huge pain in the ass to set up properly when you're already worn out and it's dark. Also, more difficult to make warm and to keep your gear convenient and dry. I love my hammock for simple summer camping, but 90% of the time a tent is better for me.
>>
>>814136
So this is where my frustration comes in.

With a tent, I like the coverage and space available for drying clothes and safe keeping backpacks and repellent from bugs. The only downside would be keeping it water and weather proof from a snowy/muddy ground as can be common in BC.

With a hammock, I've experienced more windchill in the early summer that was throwing me off from buying one, but maybe that was inexperience. I could only imagine what it would be like in the winter when nights can be cold as balls. I like that they keep you off the ground and provide a chair for fun activities. fun. activities.

Do people sleep comfy in a hammock though? Maybe I had a bad experience, I'm 6'3 and found the bend in my friend's hammock to put a weight on my thigh and I woke up with my leg asleep. Are hammocks going to be generally lighter?
>>
>>814161
A high end hammock system and high end tent will weigh about the same. Once you get winter camping, you rarely will save space with a hammock, again it's really about comfort more than anything.

You may have been in a shorter hammocm. Most mass marketed onw, like ENO, are too short. Most legit camping hammocks are 11ft.

You definitely need proper insulation in a hammock. Those who think it's great to be off the cold hard ground will find hanging is colder. Proper underquilt goes a long way. A sleeping pad works in a hammock but it's not ideal. Using a sleeping bag in a hammock with nothing under you will make you very cold very fast.

I've slept in my hammock at 0 degrees. It can be done for sure.
>>
>>814136
>Both have their merits. You can hang a hammock in places you'd never be able to put a tent because the ground is so uneven. Same story with a tent though, since you can set it up anywhere that's flat.

That's not really true. There are very few places that are flat enough to have trees densely enough to tie a hammock and have no flat ground to be found. It's impossible to fail and find a flat spot for a tent in a forest.

However there are entire bioms which are unsuitable for hammocks what so ever. These are even common in BC as you get higher into the mountains.
It also holds if you'll ever go to 3rd world countries abroad where there are plains without trees b/c of grazing.

Tents are outright better in bad weather that forces you to stay in, you have much more room to maneuver, you can cook or make tea, you can change cloths inside comfortably or sit around in a group.
My two men tent took 6 people sitting in, it was tight and crammed but it's a lot more than what you can do with a hammock. 4 can sit inside comfortably.

>>814127
Unless the wind is only coming from one direction how is that possible?

See pic >>814136 there is no way to protect from strong winds with the tarp he has with him. Maybe if he carried 2-3 tarps.

I agree with >>814150
>I love my hammock for simple summer camping, but 90% of the time a tent is better for me.

If you're getting one or the other, then it's a tent no questions. especially in BC.
>>
>>814087
the hammock lacks a lot in the way of benefits.
all it does is get you off the ground.
limited protection from weather / bugs
cant imagine its easier to set up either.
>>
File: image11.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image11.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
>>814171
You don't really understand what you can do with a tarp.

The diamond tarp in the picture, is my fair weather tarp. Of course it doesn't block wind, it's not supposed to. There was a 15% chance of rain with a low of 65 degrees.

You can have as little or as much coverage as you want, depending on the tarp. No hammock user carries 2-3 tarps. We bring the one for the conditions we want.

You've also never heard of a hammock sock, which also blocks wind.

Yes there are biomes that hammocks don't work in, they are not the end all be all of sleeping systems.

It's not about being able to find a flat spot somewhere, it's about being able to hang in unique locations, on a steep hillside (yes there are trees on hillsides, dense too, imagine that), overlooking a waterfall over rocks, ect ect. Yes you can find a spot for a tent SOMEWHERE, but especially where I camp, there are more cool hammock spots than tent spots.

You can useasily a tent, it's totally cool, but some people like hammocks, and I know this may shock you, but plenty of hammock users also have tents, that they will use from time to time in areas that aren't suitable for hammocks.

I don't understand why tent guys get so flustered with hammocks. Relax.
>>
>>814087
I really think it depends on your location. Here in Minnesota as well as Wisconsin, Alberta, and Ontario tents are preferred thanks to the insane amounts of mosquitos in the summer as well as the brutal winters. I wouldn't mind a hammock in the fall though since I get really congested sinuses inside a tent.
>>
>>814087
If you like laying flat. Tent all day. Idk how people lay like bananas in hammocks.
>Inb4 u lay sideways retard.
U still lay like with your feet raised from ur head. Its just how gravity works.
>>
>>814222
>mosquitos
Bugnet, dude
>>
>>814087
Why not both?

It'll probably only weigh about 10lbs altogether.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 259x194px
>>814087
Always use hammocks if you aren't a little pussy, hammocks are like cozy burritos, you know? It's so hard to break in and ea- I mean, set up a tent.
>>
>>814348
Cozy burrito. That kinda talk will get you put on the other side of trumps wall.
>>
File: bearymuchsurprised.jpg (20KB, 170x170px) Image search: [Google]
bearymuchsurprised.jpg
20KB, 170x170px
>>814348
>hammocks are like cozy burritos

Holy shit you just want to eat them.
>>
>>814220
I don't have anything against hammocks, I do think that his summary was lacking.

I strongly believe that for OP specifically, who lives in BC (mountains, quite a bit of rain etc) and is looking for a shelter fit for winter... for him a tent is much better than a hammock.

>You don't really understand what you can do with a tarp.
You're right and I am happy to learn.

>It's not about being able to find a flat spot somewhere, it's about being able to hang in unique locations
That's true, Hammocks have their advantages, but as the only shelter for a guy living in an area with mountains, I think it would just be too limiting.

>I don't understand why tent guys get so flustered with hammocks. Relax.
hahaha, take your own advice man, chill. Nothing wrong with having a hammock, whatever works for you. OP asked for advice, in his case a tent has too many advantages over a hammock to consider the later.
>>
Bumping for more funny bear memes senpai
>>
>>814431
>Winter
New Hampshire here. I've never been cold in a hammock
>>
>>814136
>You can hang a hammock in places you'd never be able to put a tent because the ground is so uneven.
If the ground is not made of rocks, it will not be hard to fix that issue. If the ground is made of rocks, then you probably don't have enough trees to fix your hammock.

I suggest that you use a sleeping pad instead of something inflatable.

Speaking of weight, a 3 or 4 person tent will always be lighter than 3 or 4 hammocks.
>>
>>814348
>>814396

>cozy burrito
>burrito
>bear-rito

Is there any news stories of someone being eaten in a hammock? I would really like to know the statistics of bear-ritos
>>
File: 214655.jpg (151KB, 800x514px) Image search: [Google]
214655.jpg
151KB, 800x514px
>>814431

OP here

The problem really is that we have a TON of great trees for hammocks, and that would be great in winter, espcially with the tarps as viewed here >>814220
However, when it comes to a lot of mountain tops, the place that you hike to and the most scenic breathtaking and relaxing place to be...you get picrelated. Young-growth forest and barren rocks.
This was a hike (wedgemount lake) that I did recently and it is a motherfucker to get up to. Camping at the top would be so worth it, however it's a tent-only situation.
>>
>>814520
Every thread on /out/ should be a bear meme thread.

>>814621
I would also beary much like to know this.
>>
File: sploosh.gif (424KB, 400x295px) Image search: [Google]
sploosh.gif
424KB, 400x295px
>going on long solo motorcycle trip through yurope
>6'6 / 198cm tallfag
>hammocks and tarptents not an option
>mfw can't find tent that doesn't require diagonal sleeping and is sub 180 eurobux

manlet privilege strikes again
>>
>>814650
Sleep on a diagonal then, save up a little more, bend legs. I'm 6'3 and sleep on my side usually
>>
>>814087
https://gearjunkie.com/hammock-or-tent-camping

Here's this "gear expert's" opinion, he has some good points for an argument for both sides, however the comment posted at the end sums it up better.
>>
>>814600
You must camp where it's flat. I've hung my hammock on some side hills where there really is nowhere flat for a tent.
>>
>>814621
No one has ever been killed by a bear while in a hammock. Several people have died in tents from bears.

A year or so ago a kid was bit and drug out of a hammock by a bear and the kids father chased it away. He needed stitches but was fine otherwise.

That was the only recorded bear attack ever while being in a hammock.
>>
>>814627
Wouldn't camping like that in top of a hill be so windy that you'd just have to stay in your tent all the time?
>>
My hammock can also be used as a two man tent once the tied ends are relaxed and it's pegged out properly with the tarp overhead and the bugnet from the hammock done up I sleep like one happy little bean in either circumstance.
>>
>>814627
You don't know what you're talking about dumb fuck. It's not young growth forest, the trees simply do not get very big because of that biome.
>>
>>814797
No one but an inexperienced noon would camp at the top anon, rest assured.
>>
>>814806
Think ya mean noob but we get your point sir
>>
>>814087
Horses for courses.
>>
>>814741
Google only leads me to people who are 6 feet manlets discussing how excellent their tent is for tall people. You also have to consider that the inflatable has to fit diagonally as well, and that the sidewalls are generally sloped so sleeping diagonally isn't as much as an improvement as you'd think.
>>
>>814817
Inflatable? What?
>>
>>814822
The thingamajig you sleep on. Its generally rectangular. It doesn't fit in a diagonal corner
>>
>>814795
>>814795

I would say statistically for the amount of people that have used tents over the years in comparison to hammocks, that makes sense. You see a lot of tents when going to the woods in comparison to the very few hammocks.

>>814797
>>814797

The top of lots of BC mountains are not nearly as windy as you think. Vancouver Island does a lot to dissipate winds.
>>
>>814806
>>814808

Samefag.

There are tons of people that camp at the top, don't be retarded.
>>
>>814832
Plenty of noobs too, dipshit.
>>
>>814852

What separates the noob from the experienced camper then? If they both have a tent and are warm then you're the idiot.
>>
>>815013
What if one has a tent and is warm and the other has a half eaten beef jerky stick and an autographed picture of Lorenzo Lamas and is cold?

Who's the real idiot now?
>>
>>815026
Then who was tent?
>>
>>814832
>>815013
And when a storm rolls through and people get butt fucked and call in search and rescue it's just fiiiiiine amirite?
>>
>>814563
>I've never been cold in a hammock

I don't believe the world cold was part of my comments. kindly asking you to re-read my words.
>>
>>814563
>New Hampshire
>cold
lol
>>
>>815237
New Hampshire gets plenty cold. Look at Mt Washington for example. -100F wind chill at times, can go a week with wind chill never going above -50F. Wind speeds of 231mph were recorded there. Winters in New Hampshire can be very cold even at lower elevations. Near the coast is mild, the Northern parts of the state and inland parts are definitely cold, especially when compared to about 95% of the continental USA.
>>
>>815280
>Wind speeds of 231mph were recorded there
>once
>in 1934
Colorado has dozens fucking towns that regularly get colder year round than the peak of your "mountain".
>>
Which one weighs less? My tent is 5.4lbs and I can use it in west Virginia winter just fine, or comfortably in Georgia summer if I wanted to, what does hammock have to offer me?
>>
>>815769
Not much. You still need a pad if it's <50 out and you have to bring a tarp for the rain.
>>
>>815764
The whole of New Hampshire compared with Colorado experiences colder average temps. I understand there are some Colorado towns at elevation that are in average colder, however just because Colorado has a few places with colder temps does not somehow prove that New Hampshire isn't cold.

And nowhere in Colorado has ever experienced winds similar to Mt Washington. The record cold temperatures in both states is only about 10 degrees apart.
>>
>>815764
Yes 231 mph was recorded once.

Of course it was only once you idiot. It was the highest wind speed ever recorded until 2010 when a hurricane gust slightly beat it in Austrailia.

Mt Washington experiences hurricane force winds 110 days a year on average.
>>
>>815769
Is your tent weight of 5.4 lbs including pad and sleeping bag?

My complete hammock set up for 20 degree weather weighs less than 6 lbs. Including all the insulation I need.
>>
>>815864
Idk, the bag and tent are 6.5lbs together, and instead of a pad I usually get away just piling detritus under my tent, it's comfy and works all year. I've never gone further north than Pennsylvania as far as cold goes, though.
>>
>>814100
i disagree. fucking on a hammock can be awesome.
>>
Hammocks are for hipsters

Goodluck with the spinal problems associated with sleeping like a banana
>>
What about cots? Fixes the swinging/banana-spine of the hammock

It seems like you could have an ultralight cot break down pretty good, then you just put a tarp roof.
>>
>>816413
Studies have shown hammocks to correlate with a lower incidence of chronic back pain.
>>
>>816449
If you lay in a hammock correctly you will not be like a banana, and the swinging effect promotes sleep due to its effect on brainwaves. Look it up seriously.

Cots are just too heavy.

A bridge hammock is much like a suspended cot. Check them out. Warbonnet ridgerunner is an example.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.