[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gaiters for Hiking???

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Hey /out/, question: A friend of mine loves his gaiters and always tells me, that they are the ultimate addon to ankle high hiking boots.

I'm not so sure about that: At the end of the day they are pieces of denim with buckles. But I want your experience. Does anyone here go hiking with such low (military style, not talking about moist protection gaiters) gaiters like pic related? Is the lower leg support really that much better wearing ankle high hiking boots?
>>
>>813883
Why not just blouse your trousers?

I mean real fucking gaiters. Waterproof gaiters. Yea those have a use. But whatever the fuck you posted is just ankle weights
>>
>>813908
Well they are Wehrmacht/Bundeswher gaiters. And ont forget the US had low combat boots with dgaiters too (M1943 boots) .

Btw how should blousing increase ankle support?
>>
>>813883
>At the end of the day they are pieces of denim with buckles.
No they are not you fucktard
>Does anyone here go hiking with such low (military style, not talking about moist protection gaiters) gaiters like pic related?
There's a reason even third world militaries don't use separate gaiters anymore, especially ones made in the 40's
>Is the lower leg support really that much better wearing ankle high hiking boots?
Do you know know what a gaiter is
>Well they are Wehrmacht/Bundeswher gaiters. And ont forget the US had low combat boots with dgaiters too (M1943 boots)
What was the point of you making this thread if you're clearly not interested in learning anything
>Btw how should blousing increase ankle support?
You cannot be this stupid
>>
File: foxfox.jpg (43KB, 490x324px) Image search: [Google]
foxfox.jpg
43KB, 490x324px
>>813952
set em strait anon. de fuq kinna thread is this anyways?
>>
>>813883
>>813929
I don't know how much ankle support these give you, but modern boots usually do that by themselves.
These gaiters were also meant to keep dirt and stuff out of your boot. Important if you run around random places chased by gunfire, not so important if you're a hiker and can both walk carefully and stop and clear stuff out whenever you feel like it.

>>813908
Blousing trousers in low boots will not work for lack of space on the boot. WWII boots were low because leather was limited and expensive. Americans and brits used similar things, while quite a few other armies used puttees instead.

I guess canvas gaiters are useful if you wear low boots for some reason, want to keep stuff out of your boots, yet do not care for moisture protection, but that's a pretty specific case there.

>>813952
Fuck off, you literally didn't answer a simple question.
>>
>>813883
Those look like they are for areas where there's shit like low thorny scrub or you are riding dirtbike/horse though shitty places you shouldn't ride through. For which chaps are much better.

For support? That's a fucking laugh.
>>
Tatonka ones are good and useful with high, wet grass. They are not rubber boots but better than nothing.
>>
>>814054
he fucking thinks both ww2 and modern gaiters are made of denim there's no point in trying to help someone who wants to stay that ignorant

If he spent half a second of research he'd know the answer to his own question, but in reality he wants someone to link him to something that looks cool and flashy and is far more expensive than he's anticipating so he can shitpost in /out/ about "i have these gaiters and they're great because I dont actually have them and someone told me they were good but I think they look cool so therefore I own them"
>>
>>813883
If you walk through palms or lots of throwns I can see how those would do good.
>>
In Aus, Gaiters are important for walking through scrub, and also used as snake bite protection.
>>
>>814163
>cool and flashy and is far more expensive...

Gee... do a google search. The gaiters in OPs pic are like 5 bucks
>>
>>814253
Too true m8, that convinces me enough. Buying gaiters sooner rather than later now
>>
Gaiters aren't for support, they're to keep shit outta your boots.

Must have for climbing through snow or scree.
>>
>>814780
This. Tiny little fucking rocks and shit too. Don't even need em for boots specifically, any closed toe footwear works well with gaitors.
>>
>>813952
>longposting to just get to "im an angry fuck"
How usefull
>>
>>814780
I think they support pretty well if you tie them properly.
That said they are pretty much obsolete thanks to modern full length boots.
But on a plus side Gaiters do have that cool factor you just don't find from your average boots. Something about taking some time to get your shoes working properly is !fun!
>Pieces of denim
Haha, no fuckoff. Mine are made from wool and viscose. They are pretty sturdy.
>>
Dunno about regular gaiters, but I got some gear with shin protection for exploring and it's fucking great. I /out/ in a dense rainforest area so if I slip (and it happens all the time because water + dead leaves + moss errywhere) there's a 90% chance I'll end up on the ground or down a hill. Sometimes I also bring wrist guards, they've prevented fractures many times for me, they stop your wrist from bending backwards if you fall on them.
>>
>>813883
I use gaiters like a rain cover for my hiking boots. They keep them nice and dry, even in downpour. Id recommend them. Keep in mind Im talking about the knee high water proof gaiters though, not those shitty canvas ones.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.