[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid Question, But Dying For An Answer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

So whenever I've gone camping I've always had a good bag. I was recently looking at cheap sleeping bags rated only in the low 40F range and a thought popped into my head. So long as you are aren't hitting sub 30F is there anything stupendously horrible about using a bag that's not rated as well and sleeping in warmer clothing? Will this be able to keep the temperature up or is it pretty much just useless?
>>
>>813375
Putting you're dirty ass clothes in the bag. Although I never really cared. I used my military bag system every single day for a year twice and washed them every other month.

You need a two bag system. And use them together when it gets cold.
>>
>>813379
Is the need to layer or the bag or will the layer around yourself provide enough warmth if wearing the proper clothes.
>>
>>813386
If you add clothes it can add a little warmth. Yea I used to use my basic bag down to the 40s in my acus. But we had 30 guys to snuggle up with if necessary. I would be careful if going out alone with a basic bag yhat will barely get you by.

But once you get down what is comfortable with each bag then you only need to bring both in winter. Buy 2 bags or a set. Being able to use different bags is great.
>>
File: BagBagBagBag.jpg (46KB, 584x410px) Image search: [Google]
BagBagBagBag.jpg
46KB, 584x410px
>>813375
>>813386
I've done what you're suggesting. And yeah, it works. Keep in mind though that you could in theory just sleep in a bunch of clothes, all layered.

I did it when all I had was a cheap Kelty 40° bag and was saving for a nice lower temp rated bag. It works up to a point, and that point is different for everyone. Remember that the ratings on these bags sometimes are "comfort ratings" and sometimes are "survival ratings", and they are opinion based ratings based on reviewers who are wearing (unspecified weight) thermals and a watch cap, so they vary widely. The cheaper the bag, the less inclined I'd be to believe it's rating.

The coldest I ever went was a little above 20° (woke up to snow on the ground one morning) and I wore mid level thermals, thick as fuck sleeping socks (didn't fit in my shoes so big) my synth puffy sweater, a polar fleece buff. I also used a sea to summit sleeping bag liner and a poncho liner. It got so cold I tucked my legs into my backpack and ran around in the middle of the night trying to collect leaves in a futile attempt to warm up. If you're concerned about survival, I passed with flying colors. If you're concerned about sleeping well during a multinight trip and being able to function 100% nope, never again.

>>813379
what army bag bro said works. The military modular system is one of the few surplus things that breaks the shitty cycle of cheap/lightweight/durable/picktwo if you were looking to get a new bag for cheap.

My question to you is- you have a good bag why do you want to do this? You can get yourself into serious trouble not having the right gear to deal with the cold.
>>
>>813396
I was just curious about it. I am actually looking at buying a nice bag, but it's fairly warm around me, but I hate having shitty gear. Course that being said I don't really take chances when it comes to stuff like this if I don't have the gear I don't go.
>>
>>813406
smarter man than me. That 20° trip was dumb in retrospect
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.