[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone working the Forestry field?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: forestry.jpg (81KB, 668x310px) Image search: [Google]
forestry.jpg
81KB, 668x310px
Hey, fellas. I've a question for the foresters.

Question being, I've sturdily decided to remove myself from the utterly useless world of my country's academics and quit University in exchange for professional education in an /out/-related field.

Now, it's not one of those "boohoo /out/, gimme job" threads. I've done my research on my local education programs, found decent ones and my number one thus far is the position of a Forester. Now, according to the program, what the position entails is the management of woodland resources, preparation and oversight of timber-cutting works (Dunno how to say that in English), and other field-related tasks that require you to be on the spot, likely following/assisting the Forestry-Engineer in the pre-formed plan.

Not the greatest performance explanation-wise.

What I really want to know from you guys who happen to work in this field, what's it really like? How good does work come? What are my perspectives of doing the same work in other countries besides mine?

I live in Georgia (the country, not the state), and I'd really like to continue this work somewhere else as well (most likely Russia).
>>
I work for the US Forest Service and basically the job of a forester is to manage the harvesting of timber. What that typically entails is going out into a stand and measuring and identifying mature trees to determine the amount of lumber and firewood you can get out of it. Then, after cutting, figuring out what you send where.

There's some math involved, so for example, say you were trying to figure out how much lumber you could get out of a certain stand of trees. You would randomly sample plots in the total area, identifying the trees above a certain diameter and recording their heights and DBH in each plot, plug that into a formula and multiply it by whatever is needing to be cut to come up with an estimate at how much wood you can get out of that area.

It's not all /out/ work, but there is some time in the field. As you move up, you tend to work less in the field and more in an office setting. As for job prospects wise, I don't know how it is in other countries, but in the states we are desperate for forresters and I see permanent jobs open up all the time (in contrast biology jobs tend to be on a seasonal basis).
>>
>>812680
The job of a Forrester is to not allow for timber sales, recreation, or other uses like repeaters, broadcast towers and microwave facilities. Kind of like being a cop, they won't arrest the criminals and have to lie, cheat and pamper foreign entities that want our resources. You are basically a rape enabler
>>
>>812680
I should also qualify that there is a conservation, recreation, and sustainability aspect to it too. It's not all clear cutting like this overemotional faggot here >>812700 is apparently getting so butt hurt about.
>>
>>812680

OP here. Sounds pretty much like what I expected, which is neat.

To be fair with you, I'm the kind of guy who'd much rather stay in the field for lower pay than move up and away from it. I know that sounds like dramatic bullshit, but living and working in conditions other than at least a fair bit outside will kill me.

Are there any upwards branches that allow me to spend time in the field as much as I'd have to in lower positions?
>>
>>812739
My boss, who is pretty far up the food chain, gets a lot of field time. Not as much as I do, but still quite a bit. No forestry job is going to be 100% office work unless you're the supervisor of a forest or something.
>>
>>812726
Learn to read, nigger
>>
>>812848
Still being an overemotional faggot.
>>
I'm a second year forestry student. There's plenty of positions out there if you are willing to travel. Two big things that most people don't realize is that developing good social skills and mathematics are a big part of the job. Most forestry professionals are cool friendly guys. The main thing is working forestry internships during the summer so that employers can see that you have experience. There is a wide variety of forestry careers out there depending on what country you are in. Georgia would be a beautiful country to work in.
>>
>>812739
You can make decent money working as a forester for government agencies. If you are a good entrepreneur and go to school long enough you can strike out on your own as a forestry consultant who helps landowners manage their lands. Either of those two positions pay reasonably and let you be outside if you are disciplined enough to work hard every day.
>>
>>812938
>>812934
All this delusion.
>>
>>812680
Hey man. What national forest do you work in? I'm up in Northern Minnesota
>>
>>812943
No? What are you talking about? I am a forestry student, I work a forestry job, and I know several forestry professionals. Don't tell me that I am delusional you kike.
>>
>>812680

This guy got the gist of it. There are differences depending on NEPA. Sometimes grant money goes towards the forestry department to combat infestations that may pose a risk to the forest. In such a case, you might be applying pesticides or new tech to combat the problem. If not, you can send a portion of that money into contractors, but keeping the money ensures more money in that department for funding of necessary equipment. Really depends on the grants.

There's a few things that go into timber sales. The area needs to be scouted, approved, then marked for public biddings. Usually the a portion of these biddings include tree replanting. After a stand has been cut, it usually needs to be replanted and observed for a few years.

There's a definite cap to your payscale if you don't get a bachelors from university. If you're lucky, your superiors will fund for you to do distance education, but if you don't want any roadblocks you should at least attempt to get some sort of degree.

A lot of younger people get their red card. This will allow you to go out on wildland fires. Your base pay for a fire will be your GS level. Then fire hazard pay and overtime get tacked on when you're out in a field. If you work on a holiday, you'll get that as well. There are GS10+ that were able to get as many tasks done as they could when they were younger and so can go on fire and make loads of money while sitting comfortably at the main base. Fire isn't easy when you start off and people get grumpy towards the end of these stints. I wouldn't recommend hopping over to fire as a permanent, but would recommend that you stay as a forester and just stay red carded. With climate change and increasing droughts, congress will only provide more and more money to fire control and prevention.
>>
>>812944
I actually work for a division of the Forest Service called State and Private Forestry. I get to travel all over the New England area doing forestry research. It's pretty sweet.
>>
>>813496

That is damn cool.
What's it all like in terms of pay?
>>
>>813805
I'm only a GS 5 so the pay is kinda meh. I get about $2200/month.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.