[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lake George/Adirondacks Hiking Trail Recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

Me and my parents are planning on taking a two-week trip out east next month, and are going to be spending half of it on the western shores of Lake George, NY.

For anyone who's gone hiking in the Adirondacks before, what trails would you recommend? Preferably, I'm looking for ones that are mildly challenging and ones that aren't overflowing with tourists.
>>
File: lg19.jpg (509KB, 3719x2092px) Image search: [Google]
lg19.jpg
509KB, 3719x2092px
>>812436

You could say I'm uh.. "familiar" with it. Hiking the ADKs in general also.

Hiking options close to Lake George aren't particularly numerous (5-6 various mountains around the lake) but several do all have incredible views if you are up for hiking a mountain.

Two that I've done multiple times each are Buck Mtn and Black Mtn on the Eastern Shore. They are pretty similar and about 2.5-3 mi up and back, somewhat challenging cardio-wise, and have the 2 best views of the lake. Buck looks across the southern basin right toward The Sagamore and is the better one imo. Black Mtn is slightly further up the lake and has a view of the Narrows (islands in lake mid section). Would highly recommend both. You will see a few sets up people up and back and maybe a dozen at the summit, but it's Lake George, hard to escape people in the summer. There are also some other trails around the bases of these two mountains that are non-mountain hikes or smaller mtn hikes but probably not much to see. Both Buck/Black Mtn areas are about a 40 min drive around the south end of the lake and back up. Make sure NOT to take rt 9L along the eastern shore like your GPS might tell you to. It's a dead end at a private road.

Prospect Mtn is the most touristy because it's right in Lake George and you can drive your car up ($10 toll).

The one difficult option would be the Tongue Mtn range midway up the lake. It's a mountain peninsula and there is a loop along the ridge and the shore that's 10+ mi round trip. The pic you posted is actually taken from somewhere along it.

That's pretty much it for hikes in the immediate LG area. The rest of the ADKs ranges from 1-5 hours away and has many hundreds of other choices, depends what you want. You might want to get a National Geographics Trail's Illustrated map of whatever area of the ADKs you want hike, includes Lake George.
>>
File: lp_hike_0.jpg (91KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
lp_hike_0.jpg
91KB, 500x500px
>>812436
High Peaks or bust. Lake George is a pretty comfy place to stay, though.
>>
Thanks guys, I'll try to take those into consideration.
>>
>>812581

Would avoid the High Peaks if trying to avoid crowds. It tends to be busier even than LG hikes.
>>
>>812436

Are you planning on doing any fishing while up here? It's some of the best in the Northeast.
>>
File: pharaoh.jpg (259KB, 855x642px) Image search: [Google]
pharaoh.jpg
259KB, 855x642px
>>812436

Pharaoh Lake wilderness area is close by and has a lot of trails to hike.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.