[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

inflatable boats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 29

File: view1.jpg (99KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
view1.jpg
99KB, 800x600px
Anyone else use inflatable boats for fishing and camping on islands and stuff?

Just recently got one for 2 person almost like the one on the pic. With a 40 lbs electric motor. So far its been awesome.
>>
File: DSC_0079.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0079.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
Here's an actual picture of my set
>>
>>811856
But why?

I carried one of those around fort leanardwood. They aren't light. And they aren't cheap. And a knife can destroy it.

When you are dropping off a team of sappers they make sense. Otherwise why not just buy a canoe?
>>
>>811874
Its more for fishing and island camping and rivers, i don´t carry one around the bush for long distances anyway (you have to carry the battery and motor aswell if) And i always carry a patching kit and ive already used it, takes 30 seconds to patch a hole. And they usually have 3 air sections so the whole boat doesnt go down from one hole.

Also i have a inflatable canoe aswell. I use it for rivers mainly.

Third reason is i don´t have place to keep a "real" canoe or a boat no warehouse or anything. And moving them in your trunk is way easier and during winter i can keep them in my closet for example. Also you dont need to buy a trailer or a roof holder
>>
>>811875
Good points and allbut still even the smallest apartment I ever lived in had a 13 foot wall somewhere. Storing a canoe isn't that tricky.

Well if you like it have fun. But I will forever hate rhibs from my sapper school flashbacks.
>>
My canoe 1500 dollars cedar strip 65 pounds two person but can easily and comfortably be carried by 1 person. Risk: Having to apply some pine pitch to it no big
Inflatable boats: 750 dollars for a boat that will last a couple of years, weigh easily 60+ pounds, requires a motor most of the time so another 60+ pounds, 120 pounds and you can't even move yet. Get a canoe faggot.
>>
My infllatable canoe weighs about 20kg and is carried easily cost was about 300e, don't need a motor in my opinion, unless you're canooeing in a fucking storm in the atlantic
>>
File: canoe s.jpg (107KB, 1498x863px) Image search: [Google]
canoe s.jpg
107KB, 1498x863px
OK listen guys....the poorfaggotry has got to stop. I went through that "hm maybe an inflatable boat..." phase too...when I was about 12 and couldn't think past next week. Biggest waste of $ I ever made, they're an awful idea. There is a reason you NEVER see them on the water- very little durability, tons of drag, no rigidity to transfer propulsion or deflect waves, take forever to inflate/deflate- even with an air compressor- and you can't even transport them easily without deflating them. They also have almost zero resale value. And what is the point? Just because they're $200 instead of $400 for a canoe? This is very short-sighted. I bought my canoe used 6 years ago. It was a lucky whim because I had no idea at the time I would use it as much as I have. Literally hundreds of fishing and camping trips, and I use and enjoy it now more than ever, it has even more potential. The only reason I'll eventually get a 18-20' powerboat is that the wife wants one. I will fish/camp with the canoe til it falls apart, which might never happen.
>>
>>811875
>dont need to buy a trailer or a roof holder

foam block set is like 30 bucks, works great.

>>811875
>i always carry a patching kit
>ive already used it
>takes 30 seconds
>they usually have 3 air sections
>the boat won't go down from one hole

lol..you should probably give this all some more thought.
>>
I just bought an inflatable kayak and I'm concerned that its going to have a lot of drag and be pretty much useless in any kind of choppy water.

Anyone else got any experience with them?

Its a really cheap one with no outer lining, just bought it as a tester.

I either want to invest in a better one if needed or end up buying a sit on top or a canoe instead.
>>
File: pewpew.jpg (192KB, 1300x955px)
pewpew.jpg
192KB, 1300x955px
>>811961
Where i live i've seen quite a few of them (Finland), thats where i got the idea. They are for me at least been great for trolling with the motor. I don´t know how know how impatient you are but i takes less than 10 minutes to inflate using a two-way hand pump and deflate happens within few minutes once you open the valves and start putting it in package mode. And like i said i don't have enough room or storage to keep a canoe or a boat, unless you cant compress todays todays boats in to a smaller size.

>>811968
Reason i had to use the patching kit on the floor panel was because friend pulled the boat to a rocky cliff shore which some nasty sharp rocks while i was still on the boat. The air sections have yet been broken.
>>
>>811856
i would save money and get a small 2 stroke gas motor. eventually the battery will die and you will have to paddle. at the very least get a deep cycle battery. my battery lasts for about 4 hours on full with a 50lb thrust minnkota.
>>
>>812007
i'm actually planning on buying one next year, 4hp is the max i believe for the aqua marina.

What amp battery do you use? I use 72amp/h was fishing for 6 houers last time and it didnt ran out, but then again i didnt use it on full throttle all the time.
>>
>>811974
Sorry, you wasted your $.

Play with it but dont take it seriously. For wind/chop an inflatable, even a high end one is useless. SOTs aren't great in high winds or chop either but I love mine and it's long so if I've got momentum I tend to keep it.

For my use SOT was the right choice. If I were going to do a lot of long distance touring I would get a 16+ft high end sit in.
>>
File: IMG_1458.jpg (706KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1458.jpg
706KB, 1600x1200px
So I'll jump in here with a few pics of my own. Back in the day I got a $100? gift card to Academy and didn't know what to use it on. So I decided to get an inflatable boat. I only had a two seater car at the time and didn't really have a way to haul anything. I didn't want a roof rack and i knew that anything hard like a canoe or kayak takes up a lot of space. So I settled on pic related. I saw that it had some additional accessories you could buy like a motor mount, floor board, etc. so I decided I could build it as I went.
>>
File: IMG_1459.jpg (692KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1459.jpg
692KB, 1600x1200px
>>813043
Full disclosure I take VERY good care of my things and I always like to consider worse case scenarios. I'm a neat freak and take very good care of stuff I own. From my tools to my phone to my motorcycle I am constantly wiping things down and keeping them clean and in good working order. So an inflatable boat was a great choice for me because I was realistic about what I was buying and have the discipline to take very good care of it and be careful with it. I ended up getting the 9 foot version because it's what they sold at that store, but if I could do it again I would definitely have ordered the 12' online and just wait for it to come in. It's a good boat for one person but for two people someone has to set their butt on front where the big 280 logo is and then they can put their feet inside on the floor. The problem is the anchor, tackle box, fish net, battery, etc.takes up space very quickly. Over time I've removed the two cushions and battery pouch because I don't use them and they just take up space. I've also changed to one set of oars with paddles on each end.
>>
File: IMG_2513.jpg (817KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2513.jpg
817KB, 1200x1600px
>>813047
(That's my dad's shop in the prior pic btw, excuse the shit there's a method to his madness.)
So right off the bat I knew the boat popping is the biggest concern. Fortunately Sevylor sells a boat boot sleeve that covers the boat and gives it that extra layer of protection. It's like a plastic/thick canvas thing. It's really tough and I feel a lot more confident on the lake. I don't think twice about running over sticks/trees in the water because that boat boot takes all of the damage/scratches. I know that if I should hit something very sharp it can still pop, but I've had this boat for years and haven't had an issue yet (knock on wood). Sevylor also sells a motor mount so I picked up that as well. I definitely needed to be higher in order to work the motor so I cut a piece of wood for a seat. I've since scrapped that and now use this thing that's about 1 foot high with legs, I guess it's like a small step stool? Works great for what I need. I also picked up the trolling motor from Academy, it's a 50lb thrust and for a small boat it moves pretty fast.
>>
File: IMG_2518.jpg (676KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2518.jpg
676KB, 1200x1600px
>>813055
Here's a different angle. I place the whistle and some duck tape in the gear pouch on the left. I also bought the floor board from Sevylor but unfortunately I don't have a pic of it in the boat. I'll post a separate pic so you can see what it looks like through. It's prefabricated to lay on top of the inflatable floor. Really nice to be able to stand up in the boat on a hard surface to fish, and I can place my chair down on something firm. I've also since purchased some jumper cables and use them to extend the trolling motor cables. I place the battery at the very front of the boat to help balance my weight+motor weight at the rear.
>>
File: IMG_2526.jpg (149KB, 1249x934px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2526.jpg
149KB, 1249x934px
>>813058
Test fitting some gear here. Texas law requires any boat with a motor to be registered, and unfortunately even a trolling motor counts. I just realized that sticker is good through 2012 and boat stickers are good for 2 years, so I must have bought this thing back in 2010. She's still kicking.
>>
File: IMG_2530.jpg (110KB, 701x934px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2530.jpg
110KB, 701x934px
>>813060
This is out at the lake and I'm starting to fit the boat boot on as I inflate it. My car is parked right next to the boat and I use a pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter for power. Much like an air mattress pump. I had to get an extension piece as well because the cable wasn't long enough. But it goes up pretty fast this way, much better then hand pumping. I don't have the floor board in here, I don't think I had bought it yet and I just wanted to try the boat out. It's a little backwards now because I have to inflate the floor first, place the floor board over it, then I can inflate the rest of the boat.
>>
File: ax8esbtqhe3xuu7eui9b.gif (2MB, 636x288px) Image search: [Google]
ax8esbtqhe3xuu7eui9b.gif
2MB, 636x288px
>mfw
>>
File: IMG_2533.jpg (106KB, 701x930px)
IMG_2533.jpg
106KB, 701x930px
>>813063
Here's another angle with the lake behind me. The rope inside the boat is pretty tight here, I've since loosened it to hang a little more freely. I've made lots of little tweaks here and there to get everything setup really nice. Again I'm very particular with my stuff.
>>
File: IMG_2559.jpg (87KB, 697x932px)
IMG_2559.jpg
87KB, 697x932px
>>813066
Here's everything rigged up. I no longer use the cushion to save a little space, I use a smaller ice chest, I just wear the life vest instead of keeping it under the seat, the board has been replaced with a plastic small single-step stool I use as a seat, I don't hook up the blue rope on the left side I just use the anchor rope. All little tweaks to save space and make it more functional. Unfortunately you still can't see the floor board but it's in there.
>>
File: IMG_2542.jpg (82KB, 702x934px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2542.jpg
82KB, 702x934px
>>813070
All rigged up and ready to go. Wish I had a more current pic but this is the best I could find, guess I need to take some next time I go out. Again I can't stress enough that an inflatable boat is not for everyone. You do have to be careful with it, and yes it takes a little bit to set up. But if you're limited on space like me and don't have a truck or something where you can put something in the bed or be able to tow a real boat, then this is a good alternative. It's been 6 years now and she's still going strong. Just gotta use common sense.
>>
>>813070
Holy shit, that's a lot of accessories! What would you say your total investment is into this boat, not including fishing gear, pfd, cooler, etc? How long does it take to set everything up from trunk to water?
>>
File: IMG_6625.png (1MB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6625.png
1MB, 640x960px
>>813073
A little more recent pic from inside the boat. I've gotten a much better/bigger marine battery since with 210 reserve capacity. Picked it up at AutoZone for $150, pretty good deal. Last time I was on the lake I spent 7 hours fishing and still had plenty of juice left when I got back in. I trolled down half the edge of the lake and came back. Then I went over to a pocket and just generally cruised around the lake trolling. Of course I stopped every now and then to fish and to be fair when trolling I was on the number 2 or 3 something like. I cranked it to 5 every now and then to move around but you really only need low power when trolling. When I got home and put it on the charger it said it was still 59% full, I couldn't believe how much I still had left. I could feel the number 5 going very slightly slower so I didn't want to risk it, but next time I'll know I can move faster or stay out even longer if I want.
>>
>>813064
Fuck it here's me farting around in salt water on a windy day pulling my bro and a buddy. This was a TERRIBLE idea. The wind was too strong and I could barely pull them out a ways. Turns out the battery had a leak and was pretty low on power every after charging it. I was able to pull them out a ways but the power dropped quickly and we ended up drifting to a neighbors pier and I dropped them off there. Then I went out a ways and sort of drifted back in at an angle to our pier. Lots of washing everything off with fresh water and was really nervous because of the oysters in shallow water if I had to bring it to shore and barnacles on the side of the pier posts. Never again, I'll stick to fresh water from now.
>>
File: IMG_4984.jpg (113KB, 1245x934px)
IMG_4984.jpg
113KB, 1245x934px
>>813092
Forgot pic
>>
File: image.jpg (145KB, 1242x964px)
image.jpg
145KB, 1242x964px
>>813095
Here's the floorboard
>>
File: image.jpg (328KB, 1242x1633px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
328KB, 1242x1633px
>>813104
And assembled. Tucks nicely into the boat with no sharp edges
>>
>>813107
Yeah, but how much did your mega-inflatable cost? It seems like you are getting into used aluminum boat with trailer price range here.
>>
File: image.jpg (269KB, 1634x1242px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
269KB, 1634x1242px
>>813107
>>813076
Definitely need a lot of accessories to fish, and for the boat to keep safe out there. From trunk to water is maybe a little more than 30 mins with assembly and putting on the motor and whatnot. I'm spitballing but the boat was $200 and another $100 for the floorboard and boat boot. Tax and all maybe $350? Then the motor mount was $70 and trolling motor was $250, but that's stuff you'd have to rig up with a kayak anyway so doesn't really count. I've seen people make their own floorboards and motor mounts for dirt cheap but I went name brand. More expensive but it's guaranteed to work and be soft on the edges. The best part is pic related. Everything tucks away nice and neat, saves a ton of space. I bought a large blue Tupperware thing to put the boat in, and the gear and all fits nicely on the shelf. Kind of an expensive boat but when you're low on space, don't have much room in a car, and don't own a truck to hold/pull stuff this can be a pretty good option.
>>
>>813116
The base setup was somewhere around $350. Everything else was gear, motor, etc. But this way I don't have to store a big aluminum boat and I don't have to pay for trailer registration fees. Knock on wood with holes and whatnot but it's been a great fit for me so far. No for everyone, but works for me.
>>
>>813117
That's pretty cool how small it packs down, and not too bad for the price either. Perfect for our generation too, seems like everything is downsized for us, lol!
>>
>>811858
That's a cool setup but where do you put the fish when you catch them?
>>
>>811856
I've had three inflatables over the years, they were fine for the occasional trip but new lasted all that long, then I bought a GRP boat that can be rowed, sailed of motored and have never looked back, sure it takes up room in the yard but it's lasted 12 years without breaking once, I gave it a fresh coat of paint last year and it looks like new again, you can't do that with an inflatable, at the very least I would suggest you get a RIB as they tend to last a little longer than pure inflatables do.
>>
>>815062
One thing that sucks where I'm at is the closest lake to my house is a gas free lake. So only trolling motors or rowing is allowed. The city uses the lake for their water so I understand, but it still sucks. I just can't see buying a real boat to only be able to troll around in it. Maybe some day when I move I'll be closer to a lake that allows regular motors, then I'll look into a real boat
>>
File: sharkie kun onegai.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sharkie kun onegai.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
Aren't you guys afraid of sharks??
>>
>>815138
Aren't you afraid of reading the thread and reposting shit someone did before you?
>>
>>815149
Aren't you afraid of being a faggot?
>>
File: 5643ac1f50d2de390e3995ae.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
5643ac1f50d2de390e3995ae.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>815212
>>815149
o shit
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>815149
>>815212
Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!
>>
>>812012

Electric is fine when you realize there is better battery tech today than lead acid.

I bought some used Nissan Leaf cells off craigslist and hooked them together in series until 12v, then added more in parallel. I used the battery management system from an electric bicycle to keep them balanced.

I don't know how long it would run the motor as I've never run out before I was done using the boat for the day.
>>
>>811874
>Otherwise why not just buy a canoe?
can't pack a canoe into a car
>>
File: image.png (4MB, 2208x1242px)
image.png
4MB, 2208x1242px
>>817422
That's what people aren't getting. If we had room we would buy a canoe or kayak. But we don't so we gotta buy inflatable. They make them for a reason and it still gets you out there.
>>
File: KaBoat21.jpg (215KB, 800x559px) Image search: [Google]
KaBoat21.jpg
215KB, 800x559px
>>813081
minnkota battery box bro. has a battery meter on it and 2 plugs to charge shit and run a fish finder.
you can make you own too it on youtube. I had the same boat as you years ago used to take it out to the kelp beds and slay. ive since upgraded to another bigger solo inflatable.

i have a regular boat and several kayaks but the inflatable is ultra portable and can launch in places others cant.
>>
>>817422
>>817667
you can get packable canoes that fit into a regular car
Bergans Ally canoe for example, it's a bit expensive though
>>
>>815374
>buy pedal powered dynamo
>hook it up to batteries
>???????
>profit

One of you faggots talk me out of this.
>>
File: image.jpg (417KB, 1800x996px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
417KB, 1800x996px
Inflatable boats are the best boats and the only type you should buy

>source: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 has them in the game and it's based off of real military gear
>>
>>818121
can that battery box fit a large (i'm drunk idk the size but it's almost 60lbs) deep cycle marine? i need a box for the battery on my boat and i'd love one that can also run a fish finder.
>>
File: DSC00534-L.jpg (164KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00534-L.jpg
164KB, 800x600px
>>818510
The Minn-Kota battery system is for the "medium-ish" batteries, group 24 iirc.

Bigger than that, you'll probably have to build somehting yourself. I have a 29HM in a box with a 5A tender and 3-outlet cig block on top, along with an Anderson connector to hook to my trailer.
>Pic related
>>
File: IMG_20160719_214215069-L.jpg (73KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160719_214215069-L.jpg
73KB, 800x451px
>>818579
>pic related 2/2

Battery lives in the garage, plugged into the maintainer... warm, topped-off, and ready to go... not sitting half-dead in the trailer.

An even better option, if you've got the space, is a pair of 6V golf cart batteries in series.

When you really need capacity, commercial floor burnisher batteries are about $300/ea and can be run together in parallel (or the 6V cells in series-parallel).

Forklift batteries are probably "the best", but they're kind of inconvenient (size/weight).
>>
File: 20160702_072839_HDR~2.jpg (2MB, 2340x3528px) Image search: [Google]
20160702_072839_HDR~2.jpg
2MB, 2340x3528px
>>811856
Does this count? You don't use a miter you use the flippers on your feet to paddle around. Its not fast but it's super chill.
>>
>>818585

>no inline fuses on any of the cabling

It's like you want to have the box catch fire or the battery to explode in your face.

Honestly the placement of the lugs for your positive wiring right over the negative terminal is really rustling my jimmies.

Those cases can deform and that will be quite a fucking show if that shorts out.
>>
>>818604
The cig lighter block on top has its own fuse on the back.

The thing bolted to the top of the box is a circuit breaker. There's also plastic caps over the lugs now, those got installed shortly after that pic was taken. Probably 3 or 4 inches of clearance between those and the neg terminal on the battery anyways.

And there's an inline fuse on the charger output by the handle.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.