[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GOING CAMPING FIRST TIME THREAD!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_00003036.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_00003036.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Hello /out/
Am I going to be fucked or is it not too bad?

I've camped once before actually, back home in Venezuela in La Gran Sabana.

However this is gonna be my first time alone and in USA.

Planning for a 4 day trip through Smokey Mountains all the way to Asheville and back to western Alabama next weekend but "testing waters" this weekend here in Alabama. Going to either Borden Creek Trail in Sipsey or the Chinnabee Silent Trail.

I'm probably lagging the most in gear so I'll be renting from University for the long trip.

What I'm bringing forth is:
>comfortable running shoes
>knife
>snacks
>water
>iodine tablets
>book

Im gonna look to rent a tent and maybe sleeping bag.

Do I need a stove? What should I know about food to take? Any trails or locations I should consider? Anything particular I should look to test out this weekend? Any suggestions or comments at all?

Thanks
>>
>>811013
>Do I need a stove?

No.

>What should I know about food to take?

Caloric density per ounce.

>Anything particular I should look to test out this weekend? Any suggestions or comments at all?

Pack light.
>>
>>811013

>>810520
>>809244

sage
>>
File: IMG_00002974.jpg (937KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_00002974.jpg
937KB, 3264x1836px
bump for love
>>
>>811013
I'd exchange the running shoes for hiking shoes/boots if you have time to break them in at all. you'll be hiking, not running. do it in the proper footwear. and if you get something like mre's or the like you won't need a stove, but it'll be easier if you have one cause most places carry dehydrated food, which isn't really good cold. it also doesn't rehydrate as well cold. you can look up how to make a soda can or cat food stove if you don't want to spend money on a stove
>>
>>811013
South American going solo in redneck central.
OP is never coming out of those woods.
>>
>>811013
kek
>>
File: IMG_00002979.jpg (819KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_00002979.jpg
819KB, 3264x1836px
AFTER solo hiking today on mt cheaha and making it out alive I have found out that:

>foot chafing
>ankle easily goes sideways
> water is your friend
>probably going to get rained on at some point

>>811795
No time to break in boots I believe (4 days to go), I'll consider investing in some since I would love to include going /out/side more and more in my life.
Should I get some and take em and suffer through the first use of it? I'll look for boot posts around /out/ for more recommendation and info on boots unless you'd like to share

Any recommendations to avoid chafing on my feet? Is two socks a thing?
My idea right now is basically covering up with bandaids
>>
File: IMG_00002929.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_00002929.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Alright I bought me some boots with goretex and they're nice.

Right now I've two big questions

>hammock straps
I have a hammock and I need straps for it. I had somebody show me some at the place in renting and they had metal locks on the straps. The ENO brand ones I found only have straps and they seem to work (I tried one strap on a column at the store).
>should I get the metal-lockless strap or the only straps hammock strap? (ENO atlas)

> HIKING PANTS
I bought some camo pants from thrift store. They are nice and sturdy with several pockets but are heavyish. Should I invest in another pair for 4 days? I don't think I should but in any case
> hiking pants needs?
>>
>>813421
You'll be fine with these pants for four days of car camping/dayhiking.

Be sure to walk in the boots a lot now. Get a couple pair of smart wool socks. Change them if they become really sweaty. Youll likely get blisters anyway. Take moleskin with you and put it on when you feel any sign of friction (heat).
>>
>>813433
Mole foam is good too.
>>
You probably want a waterproof wind breaker/light rain jacket. I like the cheaper Marmot one.

Not the end of the world if it's warm and your pants get a little wet, but you'll be uncomfortable if your torso gets soaked in a sudden rainstorm.
>>
File: IMG_00003006.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_00003006.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>813433
>>813435
>>813436

Thanks YALL

I also bought 2 pairs of wool socks and still looking into the moleskin but in case I dont get it I got bandaids which I suppose will kinda work but probably end up falling off like 2 hours in.

>bathing?

Only type I'm thinking about is getting in a river one day or something like that. It's what I did when I camped in the amazon.

>any info on bathing ?

>also waiting on hammock straps info
>>
File: IMG_20160710_172633.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160710_172633.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Almost set to go. Any comments on underwear, swimming/bathing, cooking over fire, knots, should I rent a sleeping bag, anything
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.