[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ALONE Season 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 15

File: alone2.jpg (38KB, 879x292px) Image search: [Google]
alone2.jpg
38KB, 879x292px
It's down to three participants, and I didn't see either of the two old threads still around, so I guess this one can serve.

Contrary to a lot of strong opinions/predictions, and despite having clear advantages in location and resources overthe others... Nicole tapped out.

Jose's kayak is starting to really pay off in fish, while David is finally (and profitably) exploiting the rest of his cove's shoreline for crabs. Larry seems to be struggling internally, but then that's been his form since Day 1,

Only two episodes left, lol.
Any new predictions now?
>>
>>810489
>Any new predictions now?

Jose's getting seriously dunked in freezing water, right?
That prolly leaves Larry and David.

I'm leaning towards David winning this.
>>
>Jose's kayak is starting to really pay off in fish

How? Is constantly complaining about food, and they only showed him catching one fish. How is twenty days building a kayak (which is cool as fuck) worth it for one fish? He only needed to go 1.5 miles for the place he wanted to find that salmon run, serious just bushwack man. Am I missing something?
>>
>>810489

So glad Nicole didn't win, 1st because I think she can live without it just fine, 2nd because muppets here were so fucking sure she had won "ayy you dicks she obviously won check her tweeter blah blah" it almost fell as if it was the show's producers posting to throw dust in our eyes and add to the drama.

I can't believe Jose is still there, yeah I hope he falls in the cold drank and has to go. - sorry, nothing personal. He could easily win this, just cause he's so chill. But the boat is his Moby Dick and he is Ahab.

I really wanted Larry to win cause I like him and I think he could really use the money, and he'd put it to good use. He's really motivated out of need, and that will keep him going. I have a cool respect for him. But yeah, the loneliness and boredom seem to be taking its toll (remember this guy started working super young, yes it does make a difference)

However David IS crazy. I'm actually scared for him, this mofo might be dying of something and I can imagine him just singing through it and the production having to drag him out of there.
I could imagine him going cpt. Kurtz into the Heart of Darkness and disappear into the forest never to be seen again. So yeah, I think he wins, unfortunately.

I made a mistake getting into the show, I don't think I'll watch another season if they make it. History channel is really milking the drama and manipulating viewers, it feels like, I really distrust their editing. And even though I'm an /out/y guy obviously and like /out/y subjects, I think History channel doesn't have my kind of guy as target with this show. (I guess it's my problem; I'm more of a documentary kinda guy and not a reality show guy in the slightest), and of course I expect it only to get worse to attract more ratings.
>>
I couldn't find the very first thread in the archives. I predicted the black guy, women, and anyone in the military, now in it or former, would tap out. I also picked Jose to win. I think the remaining guys are going to tap out because they feel they have nothing to prove.
>>
>>810489

Why did Nicole tap? I just finished episode 8, so I'm not quite caught up yet. I think Jose can win it, he seems to have a far better knowledge of the geography than the others, and an overall understand of the outdoors in general. But I could totally see him capsizing and needing to tap, which would be unfortunate. Both Larry and David I've got a bit of a soft spot for, but I think David could use the money for greater purpose (putting his kids through college maybe?) Whilst larry would "SHIT COCK MOTHER FUCKER" his way through a liquor driven divorce process - assuming his waifu wouldn't stick around if he won that fat stack.
>>
>>810542
>2nd because muppets here were so fucking sure she had won "ayy you dicks she obviously won check her tweeter blah blah"
Glad I made you mad. Tbh it was just reverse wishful thinking. So fucking happy that bitch tapped out.
>>
>>810583
>Why did Nicole tap?
Unfortunately, it seems she had a severe emotional crisis requiring emergency rescue.

It was heavily implied, anyway.
>>
fuck im happy happy nicole tapped

she did fuck all. fish jumped into her stupid net and she picked them up. ok she didn't freak out about the bears so thats cool

larry is desperate af
david is hilaroously incompetent
jose will win
>>
I hope David wins because he's fucking nuts and also cause we're both Michibros. Jose's kayak is really cool though much respect to the guy for being able to build that
>>
>>810512
I agree that Jose has his priorities screwed up.
He's said several times he's trying to showcase
his skills, or "thrival" instead of "survival", and
that's what leads to enormous over-investment
of time and calories into a kayak, instead of a
simpler watercraft --and missing the damn
salmon run as a result.

Jose's going in the drink, far from shore too,
if the teasers are to be believed, and that may
mean an emergency rescue / tap out.

Larry was shown breaking down even BEFORE
the season started, in the teaser trailers, and it
looks like that serious breakdown happens this coming episode.

That may suggest David will win.
He certainly had the clearest motivation at the start of the show: he needed the money for his
kids.
>>
>>810662
As Tracy's post-show comments prove, what is
heavily-implied on the show doesn't often reflect
the WHOLE truth when it comes to tap-outs.
Her encounter with the bears was just the final
straw. She says had seriously injured her
shoulder just prior, was already debating
tapping out when the bears came along, and
that she required surgery after the show.

Mike was never shown worrying about dwindling
fuel, and the massive caloric investment of
having to move camp BECAUSE of the fuel
situation (he was honoring the native tribe's
request not to touch greenwood), as lesser
factors alongside missing his wife.

While I think Nicole missed her kids, I suspect
she was unnerved by her food sources starting
to evaporate, and she had no real plan for winter.

I'm glad the show reverted to showing the time-
lapse dismantling of a camp: at least we get a
better idea of how the shelter was built, which
has more /out/ value than all the weepy/feely
assgobblery they've been devoting airtime to.
>>
>>810492
>>810512
>>810583
>>810701
>>810754
Fuck all the reasons. Jose should win for the simple fact that he lost his fire steel and kept going, whereas the dipshit from season 1 just tapped.
>>
>>810489
my prediction: David gets eaten by wolfs.
>>
>>810806
Normally, I would think you were kidding but given his mishaps so far, that actually seems plausible.
>>
>>810641
Sorry, I didn't mean it personally, you're probably a cool bro. I did remember that quote however when I heard she tapped out, lots of people were thinking she would stay longer or even win cause she was even throwing food away and going all like I'm pocahontas and know all about plants and animals and stuff.

Again, sorry, meant no offense anon
>>
>>810803
>Jose should win for the simple fact that he lost his fire steel
Did he? I remember the one guy dropped his in the fire but I don't remember Jose losing his.
>I could definitely be wrong.
>>
File: 1449371421455.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1449371421455.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>810803
>Jose should win for the simple fact that he lost his fire steel and kept going

Wait, what?
>>
>>810803
That wasn't Jose. That was the hipster fuck, Randy.
>>
Has anyone ever actually found and used punk wood? I went out today looking for some and it looked exactly like David chipped off the spruce tree, I also found it on a spruce tree, and it even had the light color in the inside like pictured. I chipped it off and tried to light it with a ferro rod and it didn't work. I had really good sparks flying into it also. Youtube is to preppery to get good info on it.
>>
>>810924
>used punk wood?
yes but you don't just bounce sparks off it. you still need some tinder to start with. think of candle wax it burns great but need a wick to hold the flame
>>
>>810949
That makes a lot of sense. After I watched the show I made an effort to go get some. I always see it at the base of a tree usually that has an old sap leak up higher.
>>
>>810924
That stuff he chipped off the tree was a solid chunk of sap. Punk wood is different - it's basically dry-rotted wood.
>>
>>811057
I misspoke when I called it punk wood. Mine was sap.
>>
>>810832
>>810855
how could you have missed that?
Why did he build didgeridoo of fire?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMWYaRQr018
>>
>>810924
ohhh yeah, hehe it tinkles if you apply it to your bunghole
>>
>>811060
>how could you have missed that?
That didn't show him losing his fire steel
>Why did he build didgeridoo of fire?
It's more effective than blowing at the fire to get it going again, like when you wake up in the morning.
>>
File: Workout.png (4MB, 1062x2156px)
Workout.png
4MB, 1062x2156px
>tfw you are on a survival show, and must conserve as many calories as possible, but you also need to work out.
>>
>>810924
Yeah you need to get it warmed up first only then when it's a warm liquid will it light. You'd be better off with wood shavings and using pitch as an accelerant
>>
>>810542
You sound like a cuck
>>
>>810763
>A 300 pounds woman needing surgery
>Muh Indians
>Missed her kids

Let's face it, all the diversity candidates sucked balls because a crab doesn't give you nigger privilege or white knight you for beta points..

Hopefully next season they will have a mestizo from Chile an eskimo a poo in the loo and a nip mong Ching ching Kong because I am curious if they can beat the fucking white males
>>
>>811098
This was honestly one of the most retarded things I have ever seen anyone do on reality tv.
>>
>>811146
go back to /pol/
>>
>>810763
>what is heavily-implied on the show doesn't often reflect the WHOLE truth when it comes to tap-outs.

You miss the point that what they were implying in this case was that there was more to her departure than an ordinary tap out.
>>
>>811098
>>811286
I don't have very good gaydar but something tells me he was gay. Can a gay confirm this?
>>
>>811422
Wasn't gay
>>
>>811287
Go back to tumblr
>>
>>811146
I was going to ask you what gave you that impression, but it really isn't important.
Enjoy memes, but just so you know I think you are on the wrong board for that kind of mentality.
>>
>>811428
Binary comparisons everywhere, but not a drop of nuance.
>>
Is it just me, or are the Season 2 folks way sturdier than Season 1? I'm watching season 1 now and they are dropping like flies.
>>
File: Alone_S2_Desmond_White.jpg (26KB, 158x158px) Image search: [Google]
Alone_S2_Desmond_White.jpg
26KB, 158x158px
>>812104
Just KNOWING that S1 Alan Kay lasted 56
days (he could have gone on longer) is a big
deal for the S2 participants, never mind having
seen what strategies and challenges were
involved in S1.

Then of course, there's S2's Desmond.
>>
>>812117
Well, I didn't know he won, but that makes sense. He is the only one with a positive mental outlook and the natural humor to keep himself going. I knew the kid wasn't going to win, he was losing it so fast after a while.

It seems to me like they pick people with the skills to survive but issues with their personality or at least minor mental issues. Like the middle aged man who is still fucked up from being bitten by a dog, like 30 years earlier. I love guns, but jesus that guy was paranoid. Scared of everything, thinks cougars and bears are going to murder him at every turn. The others are all similar. The last four are better, but the others blubbering about 8 days away from their precious wives and children. Why did they even bother coming?
>>
Jose or david will win. Jose is the greatest survivor i think
>>
>>812142
As you seem to suspect, the producers pick
participants based on the onscreen drama they
potentially bring, and then for survival skills.

>>812146
Jose has an impressive skillset, but moreso for
wilderness living than "surviving": witness the
disproportionate time/effort devoted to a kayak
that caused him to miss the salmon run (the
whole POINT he had to building a kayak).
I don't think Jose has completely shifted his
mindset from (self-proclaimed) showcasing of
his skills, purely to outlasting the others.

Larry's been through emotional breakdowns
since week 1 of the show. What was previewed
at the end of the last episode seems to be a
whopper, though. and strongly suggests to me
his imminent tap-out... but we'll see.

David was noteworthy from the start as having
the clearest objective: to win the $500k. Little of
the proving to myself, personal growth, showing
what I can do stuff. He seems to be on a
skills-tier below Jose, and roughly at par with
Larry, albeit in a tropical jungle context.
>>
>>812166
It would be so much more entertaining if they chose stable people who had to outlast each other.

That would never happen, of course, because it would cost too much to actually have them out there for a whole year, and there would probably be multiple people left when they had to pull the plug.

I also agree with the whole Jose thing. Skilled as he is, he seems to be missing the whole point with his kayak.

Unstable as Larry is, I think that he will win as he recovers from each problem because he NEEDS that money for his kids, whereas Jose seems almost like he is just there for funsies.
>>
>>812254
*I meant David.

Larry is nuts. He seems unstable enough to freak out and quit on a whim. Then again, he has so much hate for his job that it might keep him going.
>>
>>811098
It was pandering to the gay/female viewer.
Ditto Randy's sweat-lodge footage.

Maybe they should feature an openly-gay idiot.
"Make Patagonia Faaaaabulous"
**smdh**
>>
>>812254
Obviously you've never spent any time alone in the woods
>>
>>812852
Guess again. In fact, I can't really stand being around people for more than a few days at a time, so I really don't think I would have trouble with the 1 month or so most of the contestants lasted.

Similarly to how not everybody gets PTSD from combat, not everybody has issues with being alone.
>>
>>813028
Not the one you're replying to most recently,
but I do have to point out that "not being
around people" is not the same as being
alone innawoods for weeks. It's not just other
people you would be leaving behind, but all
the systems you could otherwise depend on,
and form your life and self-perception around.

Granted that different individuals will respond
to solitude differently, as you say, but you may
be over-estimating how rare it is for someone
to successfully survive, under "ALONE" terms
(especially in terms of equipment/supplies)
beyond winter ---predatory risks associated
with Spring alone would be considerable.

Even in cases where individuals have thrived
in the wild alone... THEY chose where they
made their camp, and THEY chose the terms
(equipment, etc) under which they made a
go at it.

On the other hand, the show overstates just
how "alone" the participants are. Never mind
the atrocious example of Sam in Season 1,
camping practically in someone's backyard,
a stone's throw from a paved road... but as
numerous past participants' comments have
indicated, regular medical checkups are part
of the deal, as well as resupply with video
and lighting equipment batteries.
>>
>>813103
>*over-estimating*
should be under-estimating, sorry.
>>
at around 1:34 Jose shoes of his black leahterman wave that he modded for woodworking

anyone seen him use it or found instructions on how to do it/something similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6fZb2RtuPU
>>
>>814016
he probably just made an awl out of the can opener and a chisel out off the screwdriver
>heavy modding
>>
>>811422
maybe a faggot but I wouldnt call him gay
>>
>>813103
I get what you are saying, but honestly, I think plenty of the contestants would have lasted longer if they chose well-adjusted outdoorsfolk instead of people tons of unresolved issues.

I really knew all along that Alan was going to win. His ability to keep himself entertained and keep busy was pretty much the reason he won. So many others in both seasons let boredom set in, and that's when their emotional baggage came out. That baggage is the real killer, because nobody with serious baggage can stand being away from their emotional crutches (i.e. other people) for too terribly long.

Skills necessary to survive something like this
*Positive mental attitude
*Outdoor skills
*motivation
*ability to entertain self
*good sense of humor
*squared-away psychological profile

As long as someone has these things, I think they have what it takes to win something like this, or more importantly, survive in a real emergency.

Read 'Deep Survival' by Gonzalez. Its about the mental processes of successful survivors.
>>
>>814611
Why did you type out so much nonsense again?
>>
>>814611
>Skills necessary to survive something like this
>*Positive mental attitude
>*Outdoor skills
>*motivation
>*ability to entertain self
>*good sense of humor
>*squared-away psychological profile

>not afraid of bears
>not being careless
>not being female
>not being former/current military
>>
>>814694
>not being former/current military
i have the feeling the "green beret" dude from naked and afraid would fucking make this look like a walk in a park.

he fucking aced his challenge and even took care of the blondie while doing so. well maybe he is the type that functions better with company i don't know.
>>
Well, damn.
That was gut wrenching to watch.
>>
>>812104
Season 2 had the advantage of seeing season 1.
They are at the same location with the same issues but were able to prepare for them mentally and with gear choice, also the weather has been much nicer
>>
>>814792
Yeah, I tend to agree with that. However, the vast majority of soldiers are really used to the whole "work and live as a team" ethos and its part of their normal day to day worldview. I think many would not cope very well with having this support system taken away. Special Forces are a little bit different by definition.
>>
>>815167
And yet they still quit over dumb shit
>I successfully chased off a curious bear
>I can't deal with using aggression in a situation where it is needed.
>I'm going home.

That lady was so fucking weaksauce. I was flabbergasted when she quit.
>>
>>814681
I fail to see anything I posted that is nonsense, seeings as it is based on research.
>>
>>814016
looks to me like a black leatherman surge, with the replaceable wire cutters. At one point he was trimming his beard with it. It's probably "woodworking" because he took a Bosch wood saw instead of the leatherman saw.
>>
>>815184
this shit infuriated me
also
>these woods are scary
>I'm going home
>>
Fucking Larry.

I feel for him so hard.
>>
>>814792
>>815182

Apples to oranges, I think.

Naked+Afraid follows a format where a definite
terminus is in sight: 21 days, or 40 in XL format,
with all the planning and psychological benefits
of KNOWING when it ends. I mean, just look at
how Alone S2 finalists benefited from knowing
S1 Alan lasted 56 days. Having an objective in
temporal terms suits a military mindset.

Naked+Afraid also doesn't provide isolation, and
all of the planning and psychological challenges
involved. I'm not talking about having a twosome
onscreen. There's also a camera crew and an
actual emergency support team right there with
them. Again, this suits a military mindset.

In the specific case of Bo, the environment that
was selected (Surama Eco-Lodge in Guyana)
does not present the sort of predators, predator
density, severe cold (well, it's NAKED & Afraid),
and other geographical challenges that Alone
S1 and S2 did.
>>
Its funny how in both seasons ;

1. The winner was the one who got and ate most food
2. Second place was a mouse eater, had a very rough time
3. Third place had great crafting skills, made and played an instrument and built a working boat
>>
>>815275

I think a lot of people were rooting for Larry, if
only because he represented what willpower
can overcome:

He was dealt the worst location on the show,
and even when it got better with a relocation
southwards, it still wasn't secure foodwise.

He's currently with his wife touring Europe
(Netherlands and Germany I think), a direct
result of his on-show realization he ought to
devote more time/resources to spending more
quality time with her, and not just his hobby of
bushcraft.

I wish there was an update of sorts for Jose, but
I can't find one.
>>
>>815353
>I wish there was an update of sorts for Jose, but
>I can't find one.

He agreed to assist Nicole's 5-day wilderness living seminar on her land in Oregon.
That's at least some income he can bring home to his wife, since he can't yet legally find work up in Canada.
>>
>>815341
i'm not talking about the challenges being comparable i'm mostly talking about his attitude:
"hey it's a crock... well that's food, here a snake that's food too, black bear? if it's slow enough, food!"
>>
What's the story on the shot with the wolf running up to the camera or person on the intro montage every week? I've been watching every week waiting for that, and nothing.

This season had far fewer wildlife encounters overall, which was disappointing.

But what's the deal with the wolf they implied would be shown but wasn't?
>>
>>815361

>22 acre river retreat

Well that's someone that didn't need 500k.
>>
>>815490
I'm so glad it was David who won, then.
>>
>>815411
probably a wolf harassed a cameraman as they scouted the locations not actually part of the contest.
>>
I just caught up on the last 2 episodes and did I have that pegged wrong. I thought for sure Jose was going to win if he didn't tap out because of boredom. Larry and David weren't even on my radar. David winning seemed so odd because he looked like a school math teacher. Also was that a wolf or just someone's dog that showed up, they didn't say. One thing about David was that hoodie he wore a lot. I still want one.
>>
>>816298
I watched eleven episodes and still nobody got eaten by the wolf. God damn it!
>>
I'd love to be alone for that long but get real sick when I don't eat.

I'm rooting for the old crab man
>>
I like how Davids camp was right across from an old logging site.
>>
>>816298
Thats a Lester River Bushcraft Boreal Shirt he is wearing. Empire Wool and Canvas licenses the rights to them.
>>
File: vlcsnap-00001.png (677KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-00001.png
677KB, 1280x720px
I just started watching season 2. Is the fat thing a man or a dyke. I need to know.
>>
>>815361
He said he wasn't allowed to work and that his wife supported him.
>>
>>816707
Replied to wrong post. Never mind it was already said.
>>
>>816574
obviously a bulldyke
>>
>>815613
Me too, he was the most surprising of the bunch and really made a transformation from the start, shame about Jose's defeat I really felt bad for the man
>>
File: tools1.png (3MB, 1920x1080px)
tools1.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>814016
Looks like he reground the largest flat head into a small blade and did some work to the awl too.
>>814102
>he doesn't know the surge comes with an awl
laughinggirls.jpg
>>
>>810489
>Nicole tapped out.

keking at that guy that was selling her as the winner because of the things she was posting on her twitter account
>>
>>817949
IKR?

It's a sad world when someone WANTS
something bad to happen, just so they
can bitch and whine about something bad
happening.
>>
>>820561
Why is it sad, you dumb cunt?
>>
File: 1407461549031.gif (3MB, 500x206px) Image search: [Google]
1407461549031.gif
3MB, 500x206px
>>820586

Summer, summer, everywhere.
>>
I just watched the after Alone show and o wish it was a 2 hour special. It went to fast.
>>
>>815613
I'm still pissed nobody got eaten by wolfs
>>
File: WinkeBaer.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
WinkeBaer.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>815346
it's called "a script"
>>
>>811098
> having enough food
> having nothing to do
> working out
whats wrong?
sadly he got bored after 3 weeks, so he decided to work, where he probably makes more money anyway.
>>
Hold on when did that nut guy give up? the one obsessed by his wife, I don't remember him progressing after building his shelter with a bunch of useless stuff at all

>>820561
You are one MAD nugget about it.
>>
>>815346
>1. The winner was the one who got and ate most food
what david starved for like 30 days with his gill nets until started to fish for crabs.

yeah well this show fucking sucks everything considered. the fucking drama hurts my head and they barely show anything interesting they do in detail. they should make shittons of crafting specials.
>>
I had been rooting for nicole, jose, and the crafter dude, sad that all my picks dropped out.
>>
>>811286
>>811098
>working out to maintain muscle mass when your body is breaking down muscle tissue
>retarded
no sir, it is you, who is retarded.
>>
>>821966
>due to a lack of calorific intake, a situation you are exacerbating by increasing your consumption.
>>
>>821970
doing what alan did and going entirely sedentary is the dumbest thing you can do.
he wasn't working out like crazy, he was maintaining.
>>
Season 3 sounds like it'll be fun since they're moving it to patagonia.
it'll be more like the original swiss family robinson.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.