[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this type of saw more backpack friendly? Are they any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

Is this type of saw more backpack friendly?
Are they any good?
>>
I have a kershaw alaskan blade changer with a very similar saw and it's incredible. Makes it real easy to prune dead trees for firewood without snapping yourself in the face
>>
They're pretty good. I prefer the folding ones because they are more solid. Also wood handles always better.

If you're going on an extended trip might as well pack a larger saw blade and construct a bow or buck saw in the field.
You can carry the saw on the inside of your belt or even coiled inside a cooking pot
>>
Use mine every day at work. Always keep them in my leg pocket and hardly notice it. Love em!
They cut through 3'' branches in 3 seconds.
Unless you're planning to take down an entire tree I don't see a reason to bring a full size saw.
>>
>>809925
>more backpack friendly
then what?

and from experiance, please PLEASE! dont buy a fiskars saw with the round tighting lug think, they sieze up, and the plastic just before it breaks to the point the saw is 100%useless
just get a regular locking saw
>>
Anyone have a recommendation of a good folding saw? I use it for work so I need it to be extremely durable
>>
I had 2 and they worked great but me being me (me meaning an idiot) i go quick because i'm impatient and try to saw quick and i ended up breaking both the saws because the blade snapped on both.
>>
>>810199
what work? might be better asking your boss for advice?
>>
>>809925
That type of saw is backpack friendly. I wouldn't get a fiskars though, in my experience they are flimsy.

I use a Silky Pocketboy with a large tooth blade.
>>
+1 Silky pocket boy
>>
>>810232
>>810285
+2 for Silky Pocket Boy because the name is funny and these two anons tell me it is good.
>>
>>809925
I had a simalar one, the metal is flimsy and willbend out of shape since there isnt any reinforcements on the far side.

Look for something like >>810178 posted. Or a saw thats kind of like a rope (I dont know the name) and has two handles on each end.
>>
File: Bahco.jpg (74KB, 620x430px) Image search: [Google]
Bahco.jpg
74KB, 620x430px
I figured that the regular Bahco would be plenty backpack friendly . . .

I like the Silky saws, but a lot of people seem to bend the blades very easily, and break them.

The Carona saws look alright, but kind of large for what they are. They also were clearly drunk when designing the lanyard loop on them.
>>
>>809925
I got a cheap no name knock off about five years ago and it's still doing fine, use it every time I go hiking.
>>
>>809925
...wasting $ on a saw...
>>
>>811913
Here come the axes...
>>
File: SOGFX21y.jpg (65KB, 1500x700px) Image search: [Google]
SOGFX21y.jpg
65KB, 1500x700px
I use a SOG revolver knife. It alternates between partial sedation knife or saw blade. Good for having a mediocre knife for whittling around a fire and the saw is decent. It feels a tad flimsy but it hasn't given me any troubles yet. I'd recommend only getting it on sale or on Amazon, SOG has some rough markups for the name. Pic related.
>>
>>810199
Silky without a doubt. A little bit heavy, though. Silky is the brand that arborists swear by.
>>
>>811849
Definitely backpack friendly, not exactly anot industrial grade item though, it's not built to be abused. For regular tasks, it works.
>>
>>811849
Im actually considering buying one of these
anybody know more about the Bahco?
>>
>>809925
I use one in the garden all the time

mine is an opinel, weighs basically nothing, but the handle is a bit thick and the blade has more flex than I would like

great for pruning trees that have to be climbed, or for gathering willow

what would you use it for?
I can only really see the aplication when
A. you care about the tree
B. you need net cuts for building things
>>
>>809925
just bring a chainsaw blade
>>
>>809925
I always carry one. Definetly worth. Unless you have knife woth a good saw but those are super rare.
>>
>>809925
I have fiskars saw. Best choice for sure. 10times better than laplanders and theyare really comfortable and sharp as fuck
>>
Bahco is the only answer you fucking newfags
>>
>>812051
It's amazing. Get it.
>>
>>811849
I find that the only people who bend silky saws are people who don't understand that you let the saw do the work
>>
>>810178
well it's for garden work.
i love the x7 hatchet to shits tho best one i ever had and fairly cheap.
>>
>>809925
Bacho Laplander is better, it cuts on the push and pull stroke so it's more efficient.
>>
>>817226
You can resharpen a silky saw, laplanders are disposable
>>
>>817226
push is where you bend the blade i strongly prefer pull only saws.
>>
>>814118
You do realize the blade is also called the bar? The part you meant was chain which is shit when used by hand, regardless of how sharp it is, it's too wide to be used by hand, that's why you need a strong engine to make it saw properly
>>
>>818029
>it's too wide to be used by hand
uhm no, i did it many did it it works great actually probably cuts better than any handsaw.
needs a little tweaking to use real comfy you need to build a rack saw and tighten it real good.

only problem might be with commercial chains made for chainsaw is they are unidirectional teethed. but you can take the chain apart and reassemble it anyhow you like on some chains.
>>
File: chainsaw.jpg (51KB, 564x423px) Image search: [Google]
chainsaw.jpg
51KB, 564x423px
>>818058
pic related this cuts so well and takes up so little space it's insane to me to consider anything else.
>>
File: seq.jpg (51KB, 583x628px) Image search: [Google]
seq.jpg
51KB, 583x628px
>>818060
also if you are weak consider full skip, it allows for greater speed as it has less teeth not much difference in performance either to full teeth.
>>
>>809925
Silky or Felco. Nothing else is relevant.
>>
>>818060
>>818061
Why not just use a modern bow saw?
>>
>>811938
you know apart from the shitty quality of that one it doesn't look like a bad idea
>>
>>818060
i think a chainsaw would jump off a lot. afterall it's designed for high speed cutting

you can still comfortably pack a bowsaw blade and make the frame in the woods
>>
>>819691
well it cuts just as well and packs in smaller place. not sure about lighter alu uframe can be pretty light, but the blade will be long no matter what you do. using chain makes it possible to save a lot of space.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.