[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Camping with non /out/ family & kids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: 20160705_115452i.jpg (1MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
20160705_115452i.jpg
1MB, 2016x1512px
Hey /out/, I'm looking for some advice.

I've been /out/ since I can remember pretty much. Sleeping outside in garden dens being the first of it. My wife too has always had the urge, though it took a little guidance and encouragement to make it flourish. We're both in our 30s, no kids, livin' the good life.

As families do, people got talking. This year my wife got talked into going to a site with one of her sisters, their kids and another set of kids from the family (one of my wife's sisters is too much of a tightass to buy a tent and go, so has foisted her kids off) so I am going camping for the 1st time with five kids aged nine down to a year old. I have no fucking idea what to do. I am /out/ (although disabled, I'm it clawing back) wife is casual tier out (likes easy hikes in good weather) rest of family are pale, pasty, never been outside x factor watchers. The kids aren't like we were as kids. we used to /out/ 'erry day...these kids all *have to have* cbeebies (fucktard britbong tv for kids) on 24/7, live on tendies, and are lost without ipads and a wifi connection. None of them can ride a bike, let alone own one. this is what I'm up against.

To rub salt in the would, my mother in law is also coming along with a pair of her camperv& buddies. mother inlaw is another total no-/out and the camperv& buddies are mid 60s and like to hit naturist sites...

No matter which way I play this, it's going to be a clusterfuck. Even though it's full on car glamping, the rest of the family is going to be woefully under prepared, complain at every last thing outside of the normal scope of their daily activities, and the kids will be wild and into everything before they become unmanageable when they become bored.

TL:DR
Forced to take indoor family/bratish kids camping. I cant get out of it, it's one of those family commitment bullshit things. How do I survive without losing my mind? We have no Skinwalkers in Wales take 'em away.
>>
>>809505
Liquor
>>
>>809659
Booze ain't an option sadly. The medication I'm makes it so that all it takes is a sniff of something for me and I'm out cold
>>
>>809505
So don't let them get bored. /out is a fucking infinite wonderland of shit for kids to do. Just make sure it's structured. Make everything a competition. Make them your helpers.

And then never ever ever let your kids be like they are.

As for the mother in law and ask that shit, you've dug your own grave, anon. The only way to avoid it is to put your foot down and say no to that stupid shit. Don't say you can't, that's pussy shit.
>>
sorry anon, you're fucked. to make this work you need to be creative, enthusiastic, able to adapt on the fly, able to read people, and love kids. sounds like you're none of these. which is too bad, because it's these kids first exposure to being /out/ and your going to fuck it up and reinforce their ideas about what /out/ is.
>>
File: 20160705_100820i.jpg (2MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
20160705_100820i.jpg
2MB, 2016x1512px
>>809947

I feel so-so about this I had planned on doing as much as I can, but I have physical limits (as I mentioned mobility impairing disability)

I'd probably be able to handle one or two of the kids, but not 4. Particularity when tantrums/bickering starts ( this is why my wife and I aren't having kids we like our lives uncomplicated) any kind of pulling up will end up causing arguments amongst the adults- kids go and play in river, get told to be careful/stop drowning sister, start to cry, adults rage about others disciplining their kids. cant see that it's their fault because their kids were unsupervised ect this is the shit I'm up against.

The mother in law is a funny one ... my farther in law passed on last Autumn and she's finding the house a bit big and lonely I think (hence the tag along camping) so there was no way I could put my foot down here as it's be organised like some kind of big memorial weekend (don't fucking ask). I don't think she will be overly a pain in the ass ( if plaything shes my only ally in keeping the kids in line) but she's got some idyllic notion of camping thinking it will be glorious sunshine, bug free and have the damn Von Trapp family singing in the next valley over. ''Welcome to Wales'', she's' in for a |Class-A surprise I think

>>810047
I'm perfectly fine with all of these bar the kids. I don't fucking like children, never have, never will. I don't see why I should have to step up and parent (when I'm electively not one myself) because other people are too lazy to do it.

The more I think about it, I may end up going with >>809659 getting off my face and whittling a few spoons... It's going to be the wankiest of wank camping trips as it is
>>
>>810201
>I'm perfectly fine with all of these bar the kids
the problem is it's not a list, it's a chain and if one link breaks the whole thing fails. so if you don't love kids you're not going to be creative, enthusiastic and adaptable when it comes to interacting with them. you're doing to be sullen, bitter and dismissive, and ruin any /out/ potential any of these kids have.

really for the kids sake you should just pull a "muh disability" and stay home since you're clearly just going to be a faggot about this whole trip instead of embracing the opportunity you've been given.
>>
Where in Wales will you be camping?
>>
>be the irreplaceable person that everyone has to depend on
>don't use your infinite negotiating power to get some basic shit done
>make posts

I recommend you do this!
>>
File: 1423687129439.jpg (11KB, 425x306px) Image search: [Google]
1423687129439.jpg
11KB, 425x306px
>>810264

I sort of agree with this guy OP, but I can also see it's not so simple. By the sounds of things you're between a rock and a hard place.

Ask yourself what can you do in this situation to same it run smoother?

I can appreciate you may have physical limits, but without tapping out I'm sure you can at least try to bring it around - is that you back anon? You were damn determined to get yourself in order if it is you ( guessing it is as there aren't may disabled posters from Wales) so something like this shouldn't put you that far off the trail (unless this lot are Ritalin munching loons)

>>809947 has it, keep 'em busy! Send them out to find stuff (think who can catch the most bugs in a jar etc) get them to help, all stuff like this goes a long way. Keep it simple though kids have short attention spans and if something is too involved it'll bet binned off and that's where all the bad stuff will happen
>>
File: Totoro.jpg (172KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Totoro.jpg
172KB, 1600x900px
You're talking about this like it's a goddamn prison term. Chill out homie, you get to go camping! Bring snacks and toys for the kids and let them figure it out. Since you're not their parent, spoil the ever living shit out of them and they won't give you trouble. Make smores and watch the fire and kick it. I bet if you relax and handle things as they come you'll find it's actually fun to be around small people who are still have a ton to learn about the world.
>>
File: 2.jpg (1MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
1MB, 2016x1512px
>>810264
these kids have zero out potential until they hit University, and that's IF they do. When you understand the background/upbringing these kids are from whatever I do isn't even going to make dent in the attitude they have, and will be undone within 10 minutes of being at home with their parents. (If you're from the UK, and are old enough to remember Harry Enfield on TV, think Wayne and Waynetta with WiFi) You're talking on par with the probability of you becoming an astronaut.

>>810292
Beddgelert- it's a big family friendly site. I have camped here a good 10 years+ ago and it's seemingly been overhauled to meet the needs of the modern glamper. It's just down the road from Llyn Dinas (one of my favorite local haunts, where the OP pic is of oddly enough)

>>810842
yes it's back anon lol. I'm sort of humbled to be recognised and remembered desu

Lots of advice on the thread in general. I'm not sure how many of you actually have kids to be able to offer legit advice, but the main theme is keep the little buggers occupied

>>809947
>>810842

You guys seem familiar with this kind of thing. Give them tasks (fun stuff, not mining salt) If I buy a big ass bag of wrapped sweets ( like Mars Celebrations) I can probably dole out rewards for stuff (classic who can catch the biggest bug in a jar) as short term measure. As the kids are totally /in/ it cuts back a lot on the /out/ stuff I'm able to do with them but if they see the sweets they can probably be persuaded to be a lot more outgoing..... (fuck I should be posting on /b/ if i'm talking about giving kids candy to get them to do what I want :/ )

Any other advise/feedback/suggestions would be good. Like I said I hate kids, have had very little to do with them as a rule and so am way out of my depth with this.
>>
>>810264

Harsh but true advice.

Face it, you're not camping. You won't camp for shit.

What you do is go out there and fucking show those kids some cool shit. Let them make a fire, throw rocks at a river, whatever they want to do. Cook a bomb ass breakfast with a dutch oven. Whittle a thing into another thing!

Face it, you're stuck there and you need to make the best of it, and though it will probably not change those children's bland, terrible, uneventful life they will remember with some happiness that time they all went camping and Uncle Britbong taught them how to throw a knife or something.

Either that or bring a book and hunker down.
>>
>>811009
This seems really reasonable.
>>
>>811624
>these kids have zero out potential
great attitude faggot. enjoy your self fulfilling prophesy.

or you could realize that you're wrong and have fun and help them have fun. when i say /out/ potential i'm not saying taking them on a 6 week backpacking trip across the yukon. just show them introductory versions of the shit you like to do /out/. campfires, marshmallows, stargazing, skipping stones, picnic, playing in the river, climbing trees, exploring...
>>
OK, so OP has made it pretty clear that these kids are very indoor... if they are so indoors though why the fuck are they going camping in the first place?

>>811638
>>811675

Make good points too, start with small simple /out/ stuff - or go full party trick mode and light the fire with a battery or something- do shit to draw them in (and teach them to burn the house down when the get back home) there is plenty of flashy stuff you can do- we've all made popcorn in a Trangia cooker- kids love that kind of thing... and if if the don't take to it, fall back on the candy bribes to do stuff around the camp,

If all else fails you've got that book.
>>
File: kids love simple shit.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
kids love simple shit.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
op's an asshole, but for the sake of the kids...

buy the cheapest pair of 4x binoculars you can find.

>cheap
because they WILL get dropped
>4x
because then they'll never be very far out of focus, regardless of whether they're looking at something near or far.

sometimes you can even find binoculars that crappy in a 2 pack, which makes sharing 50% less of an issue.

also, don't try to force them to look at something specific, like a bird or whatever. they won't ever find it, and they'll be just as happy just looking around through them.

/in/ kids require more interaction while /out/, but they're super easy to impress
>>
>>809928
Perfect plan
>"We didn't he would be this affected by alcohol"
>"It's probably vest to tale him home"
>"We should do it again some time"

Done deal Just let your wife in on it before you start drinking
>>
Treat kids like they are shit monsters, and they will gladly keep living up to the stereotype. See if they're impressionable enough that if you expect more out of them, that they will give you more. Especially since you are taking them to a new environment. You might fail, but for fuck's sake, TRY. And try to find some advice that isn't just sympathy (come on you fucking /out/ists, I know one of you is a parent).

Read an article one time where they always told the kids they were "halfway" there. Don't care if they just started, or you're stopping in 100 feet, or whatever. Give them the same bland answer that gives them no expectation on their end, and they'll look for something else to obsess over. So always be "halfway" through whatever you're doing or wherever you're going. Then google for some ideas on how to occupy them. Build things out of sticks, collect X's, look for Y, or do whatever. I know there's some ideas out there, but I don't have any. Here's where /out/ or google should help.

And finally, call them out. You're just an uncle or something, so give it to them honestly. Tell them they're too old to throw a tantrum, that you're not their entertainment box (but make sure you keep them entertained with busywork), and that they can figure this out. Wouldn't it be cool if you were a successful outdoorsman, Little Billy, and see where that kind of rhetoric gets you. Expect more out of them, be blunt when they act like fuck-ups, and see if the changes help them be a little less like their normal mode. I dunno. I've not been /out/ with small children, but I've had this be successful at day long zoo trips and physical vacation things.

Also, since your family will be woefully unprepared, do a little preparing for them. Sunscreen, wipes, bucket, bug spray, bug candles/smoke since you're car camping, maybe some candy (rice krispy treats are awesome for this), and other things that you know will come up that they won't think of.
>>
Well there sure are a lot of posts on this thread bashing OP for being a cunt. HOWEVER as a parent myself I can understand a lot of what OP is saying and agree with his concerns to an extent. To all the do-gooder 'love the kids, OP is a miserable cunt' posters (who clearly don't have any of their own to be able to give a rounded view) it's not so easy. I see some of the children my kids mix with at school, and the families they come from. Whereas my kids are being raised in the ways of /out/ I can totally see what OP is up against in terms of parenting style and attitude. Lazy parents rely on others to do stuff with their kids (as it seems here) and stuff them full of technology so they don't have to interact beyond a basic level of care. When kids grow up in an environment like this it makes things difficult when lifestyle changes happen.

OP you can do a lot of what others on the thread suggest, kids are highly adaptable. I would say that for the first day/night it's going to be tough going (as in all your worst scenarios come true) while the kids are adapting to being away from the indoor lifestyle they are used to, but give it 24 hours the kids will probably want to be all over everything, exploring their surroundings. This is when it's your time to shine.

Stuff I've done with my kids camping:

Scavenger/treasure hunt
Rock painting
Fishing (bottle traps for minnows)
Campfire tales
Den building

Once the kids have readjusted you'll be fine, and don't be afraid to remind them that they are the kids and you're the adult. If another parent leaves me in charge of their kids they get the same discipline as mine, if you do a 2 tier system (as in going easy on certain kids) then it all fucks up. I'm not saying be a tyrant, I'm saying be firm. If they act up, don't be afraid to pull them up. Do this so the other adults see you do it. They need to understand what has gone on so the kids can't run crying back with bullshit tales of 'how mean' you are
>>
>>811694
>if they are so indoors though why the fuck are they going camping in the first place?

They are going because their parents are too bum-ish to take them on holiday, and want some free time over the school holidays. They have asked the Mother-in-law to take them with us, decisions made without me knowing. I'm far from happy about it.

>>811704
>op's an asshole

Thanks, I try hard.

>buy the cheapest pair of 4x binoculars you can find.
I had considered this, but in the UK things like that aren't readily available cheaply. I have not intention of dropping £15-£20 on something to be wrecked by the kids, that's as much as my site fee for the night ( which I'm already aggrieved at having to pay). I will try and hit the local market place next week and see if I can pick a pair for a fiver.

>>811756
I hadn't considered that, and I'd be loth to pull that one but may keep it as a last resort.

>>811767
Solid advice cheers. I have made a list for my brother in law for the stuff he needs to buy/take to minimise the under preparedness and in fairness he's not been afraid to spend the money on it. I've kept it as cheap as I can for him and inc the tentt it runs to about £350, by the time he's paid for the pitch fees, travel costs, and food it will run him up to about £500. I feel bad for him because he's stuck with 4 kids, his Mrs, Mother-in-law and 7/8 month old baby in a 6 man tent. This is Wales, were famous for the shitty rain. If it rains on the days we go it's going to be like the goddamn Thunderdome in there....when he's trying to cook for them all on a briefcase type stove and not set the tent on fire :/ as bad as I feel about things, I feel worse for him

>>812228

Finally, someone who understands indoor kids and crappy parents!!!

Again solid advice for dealing with them, cheers. My main worry is (as above) the weather as it's something I can do nothing about and will cripple pretty much any /out/ type activities I'm capable of doing.
>>
>>812228
>who clearly don't have any of their own to be able to give a rounded view
wrong. i'm a dad. i'm an uncle. i've taken a lot of otherwise shithead /in/ kids /out/ with nothing more than enthusiasm and the attitude that they're able to do it. but thanks for playing.
>>
>>809928
Looks like you get to save a lot of money then. One shot gets you blasted. DO IT BRAH
>>
Beddgelert is a lovely area, perhaps you could get up before your family do (i know thats probably impossible with young kids) and get out and have some alone time in the surrounding mountains? Sometimes you need to be selfish to be selfless
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.