[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to not freeze your ass off

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: jack.png (473KB, 623x466px) Image search: [Google]
jack.png
473KB, 623x466px
I live in Wyoming where most of the time the mountains get fucking cold at night. Every backpacking setup I've used is either way too heavy or not warm enough. So here's my question: How do you stay warm on cold nights without carrying half your body weight in gear? Or do I just need to man up and enjoy the suffering?
>>
OK, so if you are cold at night then an old trick is to go take a piss. Simple, but it works because your body no longer has to keep all that liquid at body temperature any more. Another simple yet effective trick is to heat some water on the stove and fill a water bottle with it, then just tuck that fucker in your sleeping bag with you.
I think you know where I am going with this, but it's obvious that you can kill two birds with one stone and just start sleeping with your piss bottles. Make a lot of them. Drink a few forties of shitty beer if you have to, hell you could even reuse the the glass to make your life saving piss jugs and the best part is you never have to leave your sleeping bag!
>>
>>809047
Slept out in -40 below its called a fire and a sleeping bag thats rated to -50-60. that all I use plus a reflector and a tent but thats tis.
>>
>>809047
Where in Wyoming ?
>>
>>809047
Wool clothing is expensive but is nice and warm.

Wool, fleece, down.

Fire.
>>
You can also skin animals and wear them.
>>
File: DSC04144_-L.jpg (135KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04144_-L.jpg
135KB, 800x534px
>>809047
>tfw handwarmers on the snowmobile
>tfw wearing good Goretex gear
>tfw furnace in the trailer

I've done winter camping in boy scouts. It sucks, but I can say i've done it.
Now I'll haul trailer/propane/generator behind the truck to the mountain and sleep comfortably. Fuck tent camping in the cold.
>>
>>809056
>drinking alcohol to stay warm

How old are you, idiot
>>
>>809047
Down sleeping bag. NeoAir XTherm. Merino baselayer. Dry socks. Ski mask. Hot meal right before bed. Warm water bottle in bag.
>>
>>809101
This, when camping on snow I'll also carry a foam sleeping pad for double ground insulation.
How cold does it get in Wyoming...?
Just get a better sleeping bag.
Or a better tent in case the wind gets through.

Small tip, if you're the kind that wakes up to go for a piss... I often make some tea and store it in a thermos. Helps in the evening, but is awesome for that called walk to take a piss. Pretty great in the morning as well.
>>
> if your hands are cold, put a hat on
>>
>>809124
>Small tip, if you're the kind that wakes up to go for a piss..
gallon size baggie...means not having to go far...at least until your up and at it.
>>
>>809100
most would say that cold and alcohol do not go very well but a hot toddy right before bed makes all the difference in the world.
this from someone with lots of cold weather /out/ experience.
>>
>>809063
Can you get bags that warm compact enough to fit in your pack?

>>809065
Buffalo. You from around here?

I'm not gonna piss in a bottle, that shit is ignorant. I've got a 20° bag that I use most of the time, and it works pretty well for cold mountain nights in the summer. I'm hoping to do some snow shoeing or x country skiing in the fall/winter though, which I've seen other people do with a pack that seems way too small for the amount of gear I would think would be required. What about getting a double layer single person tent and building snow up around it? Would that make a pretty cozy shelter or would I just wake up soaking wet? Hoping some old timers might know some tricks
>>
>>809101
If you stay /out/ for long, your gear will accumulate moisture eventually and degrade, especially down. There's a reason "serious" (logging, hunting, military) campers have heated tents.
>>
>>809391
Shit, not that poster but I am in Gillette. I know Campbell County Cock Suckers but I am only here for work.
>>
>>809056
Quality b8
>>
>>809423
Treated down will be far better at resisting this than normal down.
>>
>>809494
Shit, I actually live in Gillette. I just lie to other people in Wyoming so they won't hate me
>>
>>809100
>Having autism
>Being able to pick up on sarcasm
>>
>>809619
kek, not that anon but I used to live in Wright for a bit after I graduated high school. Didn't talk to anyone though so no one knows me
>>
>>809494
also, you work at one of the mines?
>>
>>809124
>go for a piss

Use a pee bottle.

>>809423

For extended far-below-zero expeditions I would recommend a vapor barrier liner. or VBL. Andrew Skurka swears by them.
>>
>>809423
>There's a reason "serious" campers have heated tents.
have fun schlepping your heater w/fuel around along with the real threat of carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping.
serious autism
>>
A few handwarmers or a hot water bottle in your sleeping bag should do the trick. Also jerking off lol
>>
>>809391
>20 degree bag
there's problem number 1 right there. get a 0 degree bag if it'll go down to single digits. get a bag rated for cold temperatures if it's cold. they'll weigh a little more, but it'll be worth it
>>
strewth mate, i've had to sleep out on a bench when it was 7degC out, mate was fucking some loose ganga in the tent and wouldve been weird as fuck to be next to him

Just smash out some beerios then whiskey and you'll be right mate. Maybe pack some of them good thermal dacks aye, can't let your dick freeze off ayy
>>
>>811811
strewth mate. sounds like a fukken fried time ayy.
>>
>>809047
Bring doge pack and waifu for warmth. Seriously, the Australians use number of dogs as a way to measure how cold a night is. Hence the band name "three dog night"
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.