[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sleeping comfy with back injury

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 11

File: ProDisc_landing_ProDiscL_03.jpg (122KB, 510x380px) Image search: [Google]
ProDisc_landing_ProDiscL_03.jpg
122KB, 510x380px
I'm going camping in 3 weeks and I need to figure out how to sleep without being in too much pain.
It's at a racetrack so no need to worry about hiking in with it.
I need something supportive but soft enough to not be painful.
Before anyone calls me a pussy, pic related is what was chiseled and hammered into my L5-S1
Thanks in advance.
>>
File: foam mattress.jpg (8KB, 315x315px) Image search: [Google]
foam mattress.jpg
8KB, 315x315px
>>807489
Get two of these. They should be at Walmart and around $20 each I think. Stack them and you should be fine as long as everything is properly flat and solid. Things like an air mattress, I'm not really sure about because you can do some weird things on those by accident.

I recommend you consult your doctor/chiropractor too.
>>
>>807497
I was thinking that would go good on a cot.
>>
>>807500
Yeah, being higher off the ground makes it easier to get up. Having something to steady you as you get up should also be there, that can be a big ice chest cooler or folding chair.
>>
>>807502
>Having something to steady you as you get up should also be there, that can be a big ice chest cooler or folding chair.

Wow, didn't even think of that. That's a great idea, thanks.
>>
>>807489
watkins glen?
>>
>>807515
Limerock in CT.
>opiate
Why did you make that your trip?
>>
>>807517
He's an ancient oldfag. Don't question him.
>>
File: dsc03073.jpg (366KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
dsc03073.jpg
366KB, 700x525px
you could go with a portable hammock, off the ground, cool and comfy.
>>
>>807518
I've seen him here before, just curious why someone would choose that.
>>
>>807528
No way, I can't get into or out of them. I learned that the painful hard way. Plus I need to be flat so I can switch to my different comfy positions that take the strain off the joint. Don't mean to be picky or dismissive of you. I still appreciate your input.
>>
>>807528
>how to totally fuck up your back.jpg
>>
>>807517
>Why did you make that your trip?
not sure exactly but was probably fixated on opiates at the the time or maybe something to do with the band tool

I'd get one of those coleman cots off amazon if you have some extra money and don't mind the kinda bulky sleeping setup

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Queen-Airbed-Tables-Battery/dp/B00AU6AVLW/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1467598536&sr=8-17&keywords=cot

looks nice as hell or

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-ComfortSmart-TM-Deluxe-Cot/dp/B0073WJACW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1467598536&sr=8-4&keywords=cot
>>
File: Cot tent.jpg (305KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Cot tent.jpg
305KB, 1500x1500px
>>807532

Maybe one of these might be more what you're looking for, they usually have them set up at Cabella's so you can try it out.
>>
>>807543
I know all about opiates. Finally been able to reduce my dosage after years of increases. This surgery was a nightmare but at least now there has been a massive improvement in my pain and quality of life. Hell, I can finally go to Limerock again!
/blog

>>807545
>>807543
Looking into both your suggestions, thanks.
>>
>>807547
Do you ever get nerve pain in your hip after the surgery? I have the same problem but didn't get the surgery.
>>
>>807771
Sometimes. Usually it's in my right ass cheek. If I do a lot an inflame the area the pain can even move to the other side. I'm get odd foot/toe/leg pain too. Nothing shooting, just weird patches of nerve burn.
I don't know your exact situation but I waited way too long to get my surgery. Don't suffer if you don't have to.
>>
>>807806
>>807771
That type of pain can also be from slight misalingment of your hip/lower back causing "sciatica". Often times you merely need it to be adjust and the pain goes away. A chiropractor is great for that, but fair warning, make sure the chiropractor isn't merely a charlatan. Where I live they are really good, but in other places I've heard some horror stories.
>>
>>807818
I have no disc touching the nerve anymore. It's leftover damage. Wish it were that simple.
>>
>>807886
I was referring to the anon that asked, not the OP, if that matters.
>>
If you're not zealously opposed to cannabis and don't have to pass a drug test, soak a small amount of pot in some 91% iso alcohol in a glass jar in direct sunlight for about 1 full day.

The tincture will look like a deep green emerald when it's done; soak a bit on a cotton ball and rub it on your problem spots. You won't get high from this, I should mention.

>tl;dr: soak some weed in some 91% iso alcohol, it'll help your aches and pains
>>
>>807892
Ah, gotcha.
>>807968
My friend has a medical marijuana card for his ms. I tried one of his extract pills that had mostly cbd (I think it's called) and not the thc (the part that gets you high)
I had a really weird reaction to it. I got really fucked up despite 1% thc and it made my pain worse. Honestly bummed out about it. I had high hopes no pun intended.
>>
>>808078
The difference between taking a cannabis pill and a tincture is that topical application won't get you very high at all, it's just directed pain relief on wherever you rub it in.
>>
>>807489
Same boat, OP. L5/S1. Also a bulge at L4/L5 that I haven't done anything about yet. Feelsbadman. I thought I just couldn't go camping any more, till I got a cot. Getting up in the morning is still pretty rough, but being able to sit on the edge of my cot helps. Had to get a tent I could stand up in, too, because fuck stooping over in the morning. It's been a couple of years now and I think I could probably get a lower cot. Might try out one of the ultralight packable ones. This one is the literal bees knees, though: https://www.campmor.com/c/camp-time-roll-a-cot-41195?gclid=CMDg9Lun380CFYpufgodR9wGvA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=ppc Strong as fuck and really sturdy. Packs down relatively small for its size and strength. Comes in extra-long if you're over 6ft tall. Put a camp pad on it and it's deluxe. For a while, I was sleeping in this cot at home because it was more comfortable than my own bed. Good luck, OP.
>>
Also, consider bringing a cane with you to help in the mornings. inb4 "old". Fuck you right in your fucking face. A ruptured disc pressing against the sciatic nerve will have you crying for your mommy, even if she's 20 years dead and you were adopted.
>>
>>807489
>>
>>809324
>>
>>809326
>>
>>809327
>>
File: cabelas lounge cot.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
cabelas lounge cot.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
>>809329
>>
Big Agnes has a line of memory foam sleeping pad covers. Their sleeping pads themselves are also pretty comfortable, if a bit delicate.
>>
>>807489
Have you tried sleeping with a small wedge behind your legs? You have to navigate around it when you change positions in the night but I have found that it makes sleeping on my back a lot more tolerable.
>>
File: 1465678580829.jpg (177KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1465678580829.jpg
177KB, 1024x683px
>>808135
Do you know if it can be absorbed deep enough to get to the spinal cord?
>>809304
Don't wait if you need surgery, I made that mistake and my nerve got more and more damaged. Nerves take so fucking heal to heal too.
>>809308
>bringing a cane
I'm def bringing my cane. I know I'll need it.
>>809331
Thanks for the series of pics, really helped. I'm considering this, looks like it could really help me.
>>809882
I'll look into it.
>>810001

>small wedge behind your legs?
Not sure I know what you mean.

I want to thank you anons for helping me out with this. It really means a lot to me.
>>
>>810259
I made some for myself and it works for my personal back pain, but I don't have any official diagnosis so I don't know how severe or what the source of it is.

It bears mentioning that you gotta reapply it an hour or 2 after the first dose depending how strong the salve and your back pain both are.
>>
>>810259
Also I think he meant sleeping with a small pillow between (not behind) your legs. I do this and it helps me a little with my back pain at night since I'm a side sleeper
>>
>>810352
I did get surgery. The surgeon removed the ruptured disc material and the tear in the disc scarred over. Not much disc there anymore. Going to have to get the implant eventually. There is significant permanent nerve damage. I, like you, waited too long to get the surgery.

A little pillow or cushion between the knees helps align the hips when you are sleeping on your side but when you lay on your back, put a larger cushion or wedge or pillow under your legs, behind your knees.
>>
File: 1458591194501.jpg (161KB, 960x716px) Image search: [Google]
1458591194501.jpg
161KB, 960x716px
>>810352
>sleeping with a small pillow between (not behind) your legs

Yup, I do this too. I can't sleep without a pillow there.

>>810429
>The surgeon removed the ruptured disc material and the tear

Blog post time:

I had the disectomy first where he removed the bulging part so that the nerve was decompressed. I felt ok after but the pain lingered.

After 4 months the disc had ruptured. I remember feeling it felt different during physical therapy and stopped. When I got home I cancelled the rest of my remaining appointments because I knew I was fucked. Within a month of that happening I was way worse than before.

Holy fucking shit did I suffer that winter. Crying at night etc because the pain was unbearable. Balled my eyes out 10/10 pain actually wanted my mom when they did my discogram. Can't remember my bp but heart rate was over 130bpm. Needed dilauded to bring it down.

Fast forward to surgery time. It's worth it in the end even though I'm not even a full year recovered and still need pain meds (but I'm down ¾ of the morphine I was on) and struggle with certain tasks etc. But it has allowed me to do so much that was unthinkable this time last year.

The sugery itself is fucking brutal. It's basically controlled trauma. I had a complication which only added to my misery. The bone softened and the upper metal piece slipped forward. I was dangerously close to getting cut back open, having that removed (which would have been nasty since two pieces were hammered in and there were notches in two of my vertebra) and getting a fusion. I had a special brace that no one that dealt with me had seen before. I was also using a walker for a decent amount of time.

In the beginning I noticed big improvements every day. Then it became a noticeable improvement weekly. Now I notice my improvements on a monthly basis. I'm on my 7th month of physical therapy although this can vary a lot.

/blog post

Hope that helped you, feel free to ask me questions.
>>
Well, if anyone is left thank you.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.