[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SAKs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 20

File: 20160701_163442.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160701_163442.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
What are /out/s opinions on swiss army knives?
>>
File: image.jpg (115KB, 1500x1142px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115KB, 1500x1142px
>>806820
It's no Mora

But I guess if you're a Britcuck and can't own a locking blade or anything over 7cm, they get the job done.
>>
>>806820
I like em OK. Better knife ergonomics, can opener and scissors than Leatherman style multitools. I just wish I could find my MEC 20th anniversary special edition green Climber which I got on clearance for their 21st and took around the world with me (usually in my carry-on, such was life in the 1990s).
>>
>>806835
The ones with a saw are better than morals.
>>
>>806820

Nice, but were they always so expensive? Did hipsters influence prices?
>>
>>806873
>Did hipsters influence prices?
Only always. But yeah, as long as it's not some Chinese knockoff shit, SAK a good little knife.
Always victorinox for me.
>>
I've recently had the strange urge to collect them. Mainly from yard sales and new ones that I would actually use. Right now I take a huntsman when I go /out/ but I would like to get a fieldmaster
Anyone know if you can make custom SAKs? And if you got to choose what tools you would get in a custom, what would they be? I've been curious what /out/ would say
>>
>>806873
My green MEC 20th Anniversary Climber that I got on clearance wasn't expensive, that's why I still miss it so much 20 years later.
>>
>>806820
Ive got one that was my EDC farming, still use it almost everyday. Its the second top model that I got for an xmas present, ive used everything on it.
>>
>>806878
I'm not sure if customs are a thing, sure they would be. If I had a choice I would get a mainly fishing oriented one with a good pair of snippers, fillet knife, basic utility cut anything knife, hook eye clearer and a disgorger and maybe something to help hook baits like chunks of meat
>>
File: image_13.jpg (37KB, 401x301px) Image search: [Google]
image_13.jpg
37KB, 401x301px
>>806835
Luckily they aren't europals anymore. Fuck em. Fuck em all.
>>
I carry a Trailmaster around everyday since 2009, if that tells you anything.
Its very durable and i like the formfactor more than Leatherman (if you need pliers that's another thing)
Can't go wrong for 40 Bucks!
>>
File: WRanger.jpg (361KB, 2683x525px) Image search: [Google]
WRanger.jpg
361KB, 2683x525px
>>806820
I used mine for a few years, it's been replaced by a single handed opener in the last 18 months but it served me well. It's still a really nice knife to use but it's bulky and I usually take a multitool in my backpack so it sorta found itself redundant.
>>
>>806820
I was given one, and after losing my good pocket knife, threw it in my pocket. I thought it had shitty steel because it was so easy to sharpen. Then I did a large amount of carving with it, and it held its edge relatively well. My biggest bitch is that they don't lock. I cut the shit out of myself once because of that.
>>
>>806820
i have your pic related and it's great. for every day little tasks it gets used far more often than my larger swiss army knives or fixed blades.

great little thing it is.
>>
>>806872
Morals keep a society in check, sir. Saws do not do that.
>>
File: trekker.jpg (12KB, 281x300px) Image search: [Google]
trekker.jpg
12KB, 281x300px
>>806931
i have the same. it's called trekker in europe. nice knife, but the steel of the blade could be better
>>
Has anyone had experience with the hunter pro? I looked at one, had a good size, opened with one hand nice but seemed a little overpriced for what it is.
>>
File: 71wErNd-kDL._SL1200_.jpg (160KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
71wErNd-kDL._SL1200_.jpg
160KB, 1200x1200px
>>806820
I've had my Victorinox SwissChamp for a few years now. Very useful little multi tool
>>
>>806820
Just like nuGerber, nuSchrade, and nuBuck, nuSAK is crap. Vintage SAK is stabil though.
>>
File: DSCF0669.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0669.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>806820
I love them.
The farmer model is my edc and the little brother is the Normie safe option for the office. I carved some pretty nice little sculptures with the farmer. I sharpened the flathead/bottle opener and got myself a nice chisel.
>>
File: DSCF0669.jpg (556KB, 1383x1037px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0669.jpg
556KB, 1383x1037px
>>807130
Whoops, forgot to scale it down.
>>
>>807111
>hurr everything new is garbage
>nothing is as good as it was in the good ol' days
>>
>>807138
When it comes to most knife manufactures, older is better. Many of the respectable brands were bought out and to stay competitive they outsourced to China and lowered QC. You can still find good modern knife brands like spyferco and benchmade but the original big names like buck, Gerber, and Schrade are dead and gone man.
>>
>>806835
>not owning both

Different tools for different jobs.
>>
>>807153
This desu
>>
>>807153
>>807155
It's not nearly as bad as people like you make it out to be.
>>
>>806820
>leatherman
>>
>>807153
schrade still makes good knives. You just have to do some research on them first.
>>
>>806820
I had one of those little ones for ~13 years for edc. Used it ALL the time.

Wound up upgrading to a SAK Compact and only carry the small ones to formal events. For about a year, they were allowed on airplanes... then the mudslimes fucking ruined that again, too.

At this point I find little to no use for the really small ones, but the full size SAKs are really nice edc. People aren't intimidated by them like they are a "scary looking" knife. The red scales are comforting to most people, I guess. I bust it out in my EXTREMELY liberal office building every day for one thing or another (opening a box, cleaning my keyboard, toothpick, etc.), and have never had a funny look.

For /out/ purposes, I find it less useful than a leatherman, but since I'm too cheap to buy a different knife for each of my uses, it works just fine /out/. There's a reason it's used by virtually every boyscout.
>>
File: 71Ee7STb5IL._SL1200_.jpg (123KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
71Ee7STb5IL._SL1200_.jpg
123KB, 1200x1200px
>>806922
Get the angler

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Angler-Swiss-Army-Knife/dp/B002Q49FRC
>>
File: dime.jpg (68KB, 1206x838px) Image search: [Google]
dime.jpg
68KB, 1206x838px
>>806922
>>807190
No scissors, with braid you HAVE to have scissors.
Get something like (pic related) which I hae to replace because I left it on a rock OR it's taken up residence in my couch.
>>
>>807207
Gerber scissors are so bad they're not worth having.

I'd rather carry an SAK angler and SAK classic or just and SAK swisschamp than one of those pieces of shit.
>>
File: DSC01341.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01341.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
So, ive been loving the victorinox huntsman for over 20 years if i remember right, its battle scarred, the scissors broken, the toothpicks missing the whole lot

but just recently my government (Danish) has decriminalized locking knives if you have a legitimate reason for carrying it ( outdoors/fishing/hobby use etc, not nightlife essentially) so it is a much more liberal knife law and it is fucking great, it has opened the marked for locking knives again,

so now i hunger for one of the newer model locking victorinox´s, but i havnt payed attention to the market at all, because they were illegal, so, whats generally considered to be the best "outdoor" "fishing" "bushcraft" "woodworking" swiss army knife? presonally ive had better experiance with victorinox then wenger but that may have changed
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>807207
Psh, you don't need scissors for braid. If anything, scissors are a pain in the ass with thin, lower test braid unless they are incredibly sharp and very tight fitting. I always just use my knife. And if I need to trim a tag like 1/4" shorter, I will just burn it with a lighter or cig.
>>
>>807207
I have this knife with the scissors and i can tell you it is absolutely not what you want to use to cut braid. the pliers have a little wire cutter split at the bottom of the opening that is much much easier to cut braid with.
>>
>>807232
poorfag
>>807207
>>807236
the scissors in pic related are what you want
>>
>>807244
Are those scissors made to specifically cut PowerPro? Goddamn.

I don't need another pair of scissors, especially when the pocket knife I already have works fine for braid. I do need to find another pair of those forceps or whatever after I gave the pair in my tackle bag to Miami anon. Either way I need to stop adding more stuff to the tackle bag.
>>
>>807153
Victorinox still makes them in Switzerland
>>
>>807018
They do when applied properly with enough force.
>>
I have the hiker and gf has the deluxe tinker . Victorinox is pretty good desu
>>
File: swiss-champ-xxlt-penknife.jpg (32KB, 400x566px) Image search: [Google]
swiss-champ-xxlt-penknife.jpg
32KB, 400x566px
i got victorinox's SwissChamp XXLT more than 10 years ago at one of their distributors in grindelwald, a place called Eiger Shop if I remember rightly

i rarely stuff the actual brick in my pocket and take it anywhere, but its myriad of unconventional features have found good use in my workshop when i needed an oddly specific tool for something, most recently the metal file on the side of its metal saw, when my other precision files were too dull and i didnt feel like getting up and heading to the hobby store to buy more
>>
>>806990
Some do, mine locks
>>
>>806820
They're shit. I tried battoning a four inch log with mine and snapped the blade after the 3rd time I hit it with a rock.
>>
>>806924

The EU didn't make them put those knife laws in place though, they thought of those themselves.
>>
>>807326
Are we talking in terms of torture?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1461891008794.jpg (12KB, 379x375px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1461891008794.jpg
12KB, 379x375px
>>807498
Ffs why would you try batton with that
>>
File: baithello.jpg (17KB, 619x619px) Image search: [Google]
baithello.jpg
17KB, 619x619px
>>807498
>>807635
>>
>>807642
There always has to be that one guy who doesn't understand blatant sarcasm
>>
>>806820
GF got me a huntsman for christmas last year. Didn't rate them much, but hey. Now I cant imagine life without it. useful little bastard has been so useful!
>>
I have a ton of Victorinoxes, a classic large version, a Scouts version with a locking blade, and a small one, and a very small one. Every set of keys my family uses has one hanging off it, and my dad has a further dozen large ones mostly dating back 50 or so years.
>>
File: rsz_20160106_155513.jpg (134KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20160106_155513.jpg
134KB, 1152x648px
SAK best knife
>>
>>806835
we can own pretty much anything except switchblades etc. , but the only knives we can carry without good reason are those with a non-locking sub 3-inch blade.
>>
>>807717
Which you guys always try to defend "but muh reasons and it's ok!" even though it is still pretty damn restrictive. I can carry a big fixed blade on my belt all day or even a Leatherman with a 3" locking blade just because I want to.
>>
>>807745
Okay, good for you. I'm not trying to defend our shitty laws, just trying to educate people.
>>
>>806855
>>Better knife ergonomics, can opener and scissors than Leatherman style multitools.

I have up my SAK for Leatherman wave once I needed admin edc for work, now using a surge. They have far superior tools.
>>
I don't see a point.
>>
>>807225
>but just recently my government (Danish) has decriminalized locking knives if you have a legitimate reason for carrying it ( outdoors/fishing/hobby use etc, not nightlife essentially) so it is a much more liberal knife law and it is fucking great, it has opened the marked for locking knives again,

Holy fuck yuros are cucked
>>
>>807840
We understand it. And then somebody posts how shitty the laws are and somebody always jumps out yelling "but when I have a reason, I can carry it so it's ok!" when in reality it still sucks. Basically limited to a Boy Scout's folder if you want an EDC.
>>
>>807876
What's your problem? The person I replied to said that we can't own a locking blade or anything over 7cm, which is wrong, and so I pointed it out. I have agreed that the laws in my country are bad, yet you still try and argue? Seriously the amount of strawman arguments I see on this site is ridiculous.
>>
>>807893
Welcome to 4chan.
>>
>>807872
did you even read what i wrote? its has literally become less cucked
>>
>>807970
Still pretty cucked. I walked into canadian tire when I was 13 and bought two machetes.
>>
>>806990
The larger ones lock (111mm models)
>>
File: 20160706_102353.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160706_102353.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>806820
I found this bad boy in Gettysburg dug half in the ground I saw barely a bit of red poking out of rocks, I always keep a couple swiss army knives in my travel bag, this one stays in my glove compartment but I'm parts of Europe where they aren't so OK with carrying knives I bring this one it's a really old ass one but I literally scraped away like a square millimeter of rust at the base of the blades and it was fine besides all the mud it was in
>>
File: castaway.jpg (352KB, 941x1407px) Image search: [Google]
castaway.jpg
352KB, 941x1407px
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khDwxCukamo
>>
>>809207
Nice job making the camera focus on the SAK
>>
>>809428
cheeky cunt
>>
meme
>>
>>807094
When you get a swisschamp you're done. It's all taken care of.

Only time i pick something else is when I'm drunk and walking through ISIS territory (just Sweden things) by night, gotta have a deadly knife on those occasions.
>>
>>806965
I need to pick up a ranger someday. Too bad I can't sub the corkscrew for something more useful though
>>
>>807186
So does Buck, but it's like finding a good movie in the $5 bin at Walmart. O wasn't expecting Buck to go full retard the way they did but getting outside designers wasn't a bad plan
>>
>>809567
>when I'm drunk
As a Swede, isn't that a given?
>>
>>806820
Your pic related is indeed GOAT for grooming. I use one for nail trimming on a daily basis, just because the scissors are superior to those you find in a cheap nail-care kit.
>>
theres always the idiot that calls everything meme gear, isnt there?

sak has to have the right can opener on it - there are 2 but only 1 of them makes since to me
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.