[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on buying a private island?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 24

File: images-5.jpg (56KB, 822x373px) Image search: [Google]
images-5.jpg
56KB, 822x373px
Thoughts on buying a private island?
>>
File: s4dTtBy.jpg (86KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
s4dTtBy.jpg
86KB, 384x313px
meh
>>
If I had the money I would. Sounds like absolute paradise.
>>
I would, in Alaska.

Nothing keeps people away like -40 F winters.

Plus Alaska is pretty much the /out/ promised land.
>>
>>805936
if you have the money do it anon. For me that's nothing better in this world than gold sand and crystal clear waters.
>>
>>805942
>Promised lans
>Can't grow shit
>>
>>805949
Yeah. Just like the Promised Lands in the Bible.
>>
You can get 1-3 acre islands for less than $100,000. Though Im not sure how they legally work
>>
>>805936
I'd buy a few, had I the money to do it. They'd be strewn around the world. That way if one place becomes a strife-ridden hotspot or I get bored at one, I could leave and go to any of the others.
>>
>>805936
Once you have one island they get sort of boring. I mean yea you should own atleast one. And preferably in territorial waters that allow """"indentured servitude""""" wink wink. But eventually islands get boring. That is why I just hunt endangered whales now from my yacht.
>>
>>805949
Alaska will provide.

Game, fish, berries, mushrooms
>>
>>805981
>Game, fish, berries, mushrooms
well, fish and mushrooms anyway
>>
File: DUDE_ALASKA_LMAO.jpg (606KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
DUDE_ALASKA_LMAO.jpg
606KB, 1200x630px
>>805981

>Alaska will provide.
>>
>>805975
Sounds like you dont have much imagination
>build house
>build bunker under house
>build fruit farm
>build vegetable farm
>build chicken house
>build grazing land for cows and sheep
>build plumbing system
>build boat
>wire/electrify everything
>fish
>import wild game
A lot to do

Speaking of islands, do they belong to countries after you buy them?
>>
>>805936
/Out/ private island would be cool make a gofund me OP and sell shares of island. So it's like a private camo ground and people vote on what to have.
>>
>>806017
I vote for prostitutes
>>
File: 1454446192035.jpg (600KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1454446192035.jpg
600KB, 2560x1920px
>>806037
lets have hookers pls
>>
>>805994
>do they belong to countries after you buy them?
yes unless unusual circumstances or you are wealthy enough to buy a government official to lease limited sovereignty to you.
>>
>>805985

everyone in this thread
>>
>>805948
and tons of garbage every week
and fuck awful expensive supply runs and waste management and no good internet
>>
What kind of propert taxes would you have to pay?
>>
>>806111
>supply runs
>not growing everything yourself
>>
>>806116
most of these islands won't grow you shit.
high lying islands can have fertile soil for certain things these little ones are usually shit.
>>
>>805994
>build bunker under house
>in an island
Let me guess, you're going to build it out of a buried shipping container, too, aren't you?
>>
>>805994
>>806116
most of these islands you can buy won't even have potable or even rancid diseased "fresh water" on them to water your plants or filtrate.
>>
>>805985
>filename
my fuckin sides
>>
>>806139
>what is desalination
>rainwater
>solar still
do you even lurk infographic threads?
>>
>>806201
Lol, good luck with that.

Gonna have solar freakin roadways with your solar stills?
>>
File: i'm retarded.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
i'm retarded.gif
2MB, 240x180px
>>806203
>i just bought an island
>didn't budget for water tho lolz
>>
I'm gonna buy an island and fill it with midget babies. Then I will raise them and convince them I am their god and they are the only people on the planet.
>>
File: 1465363327438.jpg (61KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1465363327438.jpg
61KB, 400x400px
>>806111
>No good internet
Who cares
>>
File: 8315.jpg (99KB, 800x594px) Image search: [Google]
8315.jpg
99KB, 800x594px
You could spend $5 million to buy an island, or buy a canoe and do the Maine island trail and you'll get to live on one for free. Heck you'll get to live on a bunch for free, for a day at a time.
>>
I'm already studying, saving and researching this project. Currently 19 year old Architecture student. Before I'm 30 I'll be living on an island in my own build house either alone or in a small community. I've enough experience growing my own food, but I want to implement modern technology to start a permaculture farm. Energy sources are solar panels and maybe hydropower. If the budget and location allows there will also be a geothermal installation for heat and energy. For internet there will be a satellite (medium price, decent internet) or optic fiber cable (very expensive, fast internet), depending on distance and price.

Fortunately I'm from a wealthy family, but not wealthy enough to buy the island in an instant. Island income will come from mainland architectural projects and maybe a small, exclusive 'hotel' for wealthy/intelligent people.
>>
File: island.jpg (73KB, 1408x792px) Image search: [Google]
island.jpg
73KB, 1408x792px
i like the idea of an island
but i would not like to live in the tropics
too many spoopy insects + short dawn and dusk

are those pic related for sale in sweden?
>>
>>806201
won't keep crops alive it will barely keep you alive maybe.
best to bury some underground tanks and get a ship bring in fresh water for your personal needs every few months.
if you industrialize your entire fucking island the point of living on a desert island becomes pretty moot.
>>
>>806313
Maine Island Trail Tourism Commission detected
>>
>>806407
you do realize it's a non-profit organization and it's 100% free first come first serve, right?
>>
File: badgers-moving-goalposts.jpg (81KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
badgers-moving-goalposts.jpg
81KB, 600x375px
>>806206
>>
File: image.jpg (123KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123KB, 1024x1024px
>>806044
>>
>>806321
>I'm already studying, saving and researching this project.

feel obligated to call BS on this, if you are talking about a sea island then double BS.
>>
>>805936
there's a reason not a lot of people don't have them, even though the upfront cost is actually not as much as you'd think. The reality is that upkeep is tremendously expensive. transportation and supplies, as well as utilities, not to mention you can be trapped there easily in bad weather. so unless you can afford that, you'd have to really push the hermit life without a lot of income.
>>
>>806516
plus depending where you are in the world and how far from the mainland you are, security is a major concern. you can't just call the cops and say "niggers are banging my wife halp!" because they ain't gonna get there
>>
>>805994
Depends. Either the land is freehold or leasehold. If it's freehold, you usually get mineral/lumber/etc rights, and it's your property. If it's leasehold (much more common among South Pacific island nations, and particularly picturesque tropical islands), it's usually leased from the government for a period of 100 years, or a similarly long time. In either case, you're still beholden to the laws and regulations of the host country, just like the land your house is on still belongs to your country.
>>
File: fig5.gif (404KB, 1126x861px) Image search: [Google]
fig5.gif
404KB, 1126x861px
Buy an island they said.

Nothing can go wrong they said.
>>
>>806471
I'm not kidding and I'm talking about a sea island. I have no preference for the location, but I am spending a lot of time researching the way of life on an island. I currently have €18K saved, but I want to have at least €100K, which should be possible with a few years saving as an architect. There is a someone just outside my city which I help maintaining his permaculture in exchange for information and knowledge.

I can provide proof for everything I've mentioned.
>>
>>806551
I call it BS because while you proclaim you study and research about the topic, you have not mentioned once about water management, which is arguably the biggest problem island holders are facing in your post.
Like many posts in the thread said, upfront cost is minor compare to the up keep.

And, unless you become super famous Architect and the island house is you defining work (which is supper unlikely before you are dead, or have a likelihood of the doomsday for it to happen when you are around 30ish) no wealthy people are likely to pay big money to live in your island hotel, and I don't think anyone have decent intelligent will ever want to pay to live in that kind housing, ever.
>>
>>806313
>5 million
Yiu can get an island for 1/10 of that easily
>>
>>806551
Its great to be ambitious and have a goal when you young, and it is even better that you can save money for it.
But if you want something as your main home in your 30s, invest your time and energy in how to build the best house boat will serve your better than dream about owning a island.

Owning an island is more for people who already have million dollar yacht, and use it more like an vacation housing than anything, or people who have millions but do not want to have a live.
I hope, after learn about the difficulty of owning an island as primary residence you will see what I see, and divert your efforts to some more productive things.
>>
>>806601
some states have squatter laws where if you live on a piece of land for several years you become the owner. I"m sure there are lots of abandoned islands that is never visited by their owners. Just squat for a few years and BOOM! Then sell it for a few million.
>>
>>806466
lel
>>
>>806604
>Buy island for 100k
>lives off insects qnd rain water
Not that hard
>>
>>806418
literally how. you said water isn't feasible. i provided 3 methods of obtaining potable water, and you tried to shoot down one of them by comparing it to a meme road covering that had "solar" in the name
>>
>>806724
I shot it down because it was dumb, and instead of defending it you went to another solution entirely. Hence moving the goalposts.
>>
File: foresight.jpg (283KB, 1447x909px) Image search: [Google]
foresight.jpg
283KB, 1447x909px
>>806547
>not buying a chunk of property inland for 1/10 the price and waiting for the water to come to you
>>
File: 1467498058362.gif (374KB, 1126x861px) Image search: [Google]
1467498058362.gif
374KB, 1126x861px
>>806774

Ha! Got 6 acres for 50k with 4 buildings on it in Macclenny FL.

Bring on the global warming bitches!
>>
>>806518
>security is a major concern
Came here to post this.
>>
>>805949
I heard stuff grows really well during Alaska ' shirt summer because of the long days and the unusually warm weather it has for that latitude.
>>
>>806111
Incinerate trash for electricity.
>>
>>806584
If you mean water management in terms of tides, then the tidal height depends on the location of the island (distance to the equator, water depth, ocean current etc). With some knowledge of the high water mark, you can build a house without it getting flooded.

The price for a room won't be extremely expensive, just a luxurious price. Airbnb has quite a few listing on small and very small islands. They usually go for $100 a night with a decent amount of reviews. The generated income will only suffice for off-island necessities.

>>806604
It's not like I'm putting all my money aside. But I'm not buying anything huge. All my savings are being invested by my father who works in the economic sector.

Owning an island isn't always super expensive. There are hundreds of ~8 acre islands in Southeast Asia and in the Indian and South Atlantic ocean. If you want an island relatively close to the American, Canadian or Australian coast, then it's really expensive.
>>
>>806976
>If you want an island relatively close to the American, Canadian or Australian coast, then it's really expensive

Yup, there's a reason for that: you'll have the coast guard of the neighboring nation keeping the waters safe.
>>
>>806780
Let me get 2 dick spots when the time's comes. I'm just south of you by Ocala
>>
Yeah, why not?
>>
>>806770
properly set up solar stills work
that's why people make them
>>
File: max sea levels global.jpg (2MB, 3276x1364px) Image search: [Google]
max sea levels global.jpg
2MB, 3276x1364px
>>806547
>>
>>806547
>and nothing of value was lost.
>>
Meh, why don't you go buy yourself a forest and get lost.
>>
>>806208
Have fun teaching 300+ midget babies language, agriculture, etc.
>>
>>806201
desalination doesn't work on that scale without serious infrastructure and outside energy source if you want to turn your island to a giant desalination plant be my guest.

rain is highly seasonal your needs and the plants needs are not.

solar stills are small scale it gives barely enough for survival from half a dozen 6x6 tarps.
meh, again you want to turn your island into a giant desalinator? it doesn't work for agriculture. it barely works for a single person as a survival method.
>>
>>807031
gives you about 2 sips of water per day per tarp.
>>
>>805936
Maybe in one of the lakes here since I'm not a billionaire

Lake islands are nicer anyways, especially in the Great Lakes
>>
>>806897
This is true
I was in the Yukon and in the summer they grow loads of food ue to the 24/7 sunshine
Then preserve a lot of it for the winter
Though you are fairly limited on what will grow

There are always greenhouses though for variety and year round food
>>
>>810561
>2 sips of water per day
You like giving false information? My thesis was on desalination and a simple still will provide more than enough per day for a person barring long periods of cloud/fog.
>>
>>805942
>-40
>island
>Alaska
Pick two
>>
>>807394
>florida is gross!
>>
File: Island.jpg (61KB, 960x794px) Image search: [Google]
Island.jpg
61KB, 960x794px
My family's got an island in Ontario, pic related. My grandpa bought it for shits and gigs in the 70s and now we've got two cabins on it with a generator, water filtration, and all the free time you could ask for. I'll dump a few pics and answer any questions if ya'll want.
>>
>>810589
except in practice when people do this it doesn't nearly give enough to stay alive in the tropics.
you need a gallon of water a day, you will be nowhere near that.
>>
>>812557
>The system is inefficient for how much work is put into it versus the water output.[5] In desert environments water needs can exceed 1 US gallon (3.8 L) per day for a person at rest, while still production may average 8 US fluid ounces (240 mL) per day.[5][6] Even with tools, digging a hole requires energy and makes a person lose water through perspiration; this means that even several days of water collection may not be equal to the water lost in its construction.[6] Because of this, it is advised to make a solar still to supplement another water source, such as a reverse-osmosis unit or water purification tablets.
>>
I would like to live on an island on a great lake in the United States, if I found a sandbar and filled it up with dirt and made my own private island, would it be mine or the state's? Like if I did it in Lake Michigan or something.
>>
File: inter.jpg (182KB, 500x619px) Image search: [Google]
inter.jpg
182KB, 500x619px
>>812526
dump away bro. btw how do you get there?
>>
File: lake.jpg (281KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
lake.jpg
281KB, 2048x1536px
>>812853
We take a ~25 minute boat ride from the mainland and derp our way through a bunch of other islands. We live in AZ though, so getting to our boat is about 2000 miles one way. Shit sucks
>>
File: Cabin1.jpg (519KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Cabin1.jpg
519KB, 2048x1536px
>>812887
This is what we refer to as The Old Cabin. It was built by a mink trapper around the 1920s and that fucker lived there year round with his family, which is some hardcore shit since it gets to -40F during the winter. My grandpa added the porch in like the 80s or something.
>>
>>812887
what do you about security? like, if nobody's there all the time how do you know trespassers, vandals, and snackbars aren't ripping it up on your island, or desecrating your cabins or something?
>>
>>812887
ayyyy bud
my family own part of an island near parry sound and we got two cottages good lad

georgian bay islands are right in the pocket
>>
File: Cabin2.jpg (567KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Cabin2.jpg
567KB, 2048x1536px
>>812890
And this is The New Cabin. In the winter of I think 77 my grandpa carted all the lumber across the frozen lake and then spent the summer building this with a couple other guys that we still see up there from time to time. And goddamn did he build it right. My grandpa didn't know what half-assing something was, so this will probably be standing for another 200 years.

>>812891
If you look closely at the windows and doors you can see big wooden flaps that we shut when we're not there. They lock from the inside with threaded rods and the only way in to unlock them is by going through the back door, which we've got a big lock on. Realistically, though, someone could rip those window covers off with little effort. We mostly rely on the good of people, since it's in a pretty remote area, and most of the folk up there are nice enough to not be assholes. We've only had one thing happen (window broken and booze stolen) in the 40+ years we've had it. Probably drunks.

We've also got a caretaker that checks up on it every couple of months. He lives on the lake so it's no trouble for him.
>>
File: comfyaf.jpg (422KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
comfyaf.jpg
422KB, 2048x1536px
>>812897
The inside of the new cabin. I love this place so many.

>>812893
Island bro! We're on the southeastish side of Lake of The Woods. Canada's fucking prime, ain't it?
>>
File: Beevs.jpg (342KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Beevs.jpg
342KB, 2048x1536px
>>812899
We see a shit ton of wildlife up there. This beaver's dam is literally 100m from the island. We've seen minks, bear, deer, otter, fisher martens, shit ton of fish, fucking meter wide turtles. Worst thing though are the foot long leeches. Fuck those guys.
>>
File: renbow.jpg (603KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
renbow.jpg
603KB, 2048x1536px
>>812901
Unf.
>>
>>812897
>We've only had one thing happen (window broken and booze stolen)
drunk natives
when are you going to move to canada full time
>>
>>812928
Yeah that's what we think. I actually wanna get dual citizenship and spend a year there, but that's a ways off probably. Wouldn't wanna live there forever though, I like my /in/ almost as much as I like my /out/.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.