[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiking at night

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: headlight-etiquette.jpg (151KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
headlight-etiquette.jpg
151KB, 600x300px
Going camping for three nights with family but the problem is that I have an odd sleep schedule that i'm trying to take advantage of.

Thanks to my summer neet schedule I wake up at 5pm and go to sleep at 8am. We aren't going anywhere dangerous and i want to take the opportunity to spend my nights hiking, stargazing, and taking photographs.

My question is what should i take with me? My biggest concern is having illumination. I currently only have one good flashlight but no head lamp. I'm probably going to need a ton of batteries right?
>>
>>805507
This is a recurring problem with /out/. Probably due to the inexperience of the average person asking for advice here.

DETAILS.

What is the kind of environment you're camping in (desert/forest/footsteps of mountains/mountains/swamp/other....).

Give the brand of your flashlight, or a picture, or both.

In any case, I highly advise you to buy a headlamp if you're serious about this, they are not expensive and make a huge difference when hiking or doing anything at night.

Hiked at night, my Black Diamond headlamp's batteries lasted for 3 nights, or so. Bring spares in any case, but these don't weight much.

If there is some good moonlight (that time of the month, not cloudy and not in a forest) things would be even better.
>>
>>805511
Swallow falls state park.

http://garretttrails.org/trails/trail_browser.htm Right at the very tip of Maryland.

They are very short 5 mile trails that are very traversed and it is mostly forested area with some areas being very near the river bank.

As far as equipment goes: 1x Sunwayman D20a 4x Eneloop AA batteries 1x generic plastic led flashlight. Seems the 70 lumen setting should last me 9.3 hours but i'm bringing spare duracell batteries as well. I will consider the headlamp but that's if i find one on short notice.

As far as animals, they're more active at night. Should i be worried or would my presence scare them off?
>>
>>805507

Headlamp is essential. In fact, I'd take a back-up one too. Try to stick with AAA batteries for all your lights.
>>
Your schedule is going to reset while out. Being outside in natural light like that resets your circadian rhythm.
>>
>>805507
Do it army style. Topographic map, compass, and a dim red flashlight ( which you should only rarely use to look at your map, and not kill your night vision)
>>
>>805665
>>805511
Okay got a headlamp. An Energizer Vision HD 150 lumen headlamp. I hope that's okay, should last me 50 hours on the lowest setting. Do expensive headlamps like Black Diamond ones better or can i get by with this cheap one?

>>805689
I haven't learned how to use a compass yet to measure distance. i'd rather not try to learn that in the dark.
>>
>>805887
I have the Black Diamond Spot and I love it. Not too expensive maybe like 30 bucks depending on where you buy it.

You can also buy 1 or 2 sticks of cyalume chemlights too to have around the camp.
>>
Have fun trying to sleep in a tent when it's broad fucking daylight outside

Better bring something to black out the tent

Also how the hell are you going to get the rest of your family on board with this shit
>>
>>806042
I can honestly sleep well during the day light, i'm just going to wrap a scarf on my head and sleep like a baby.
They can do their own thing, i never said they would have to tag along with me. I want to have my own adventure and they're the kind of people that a miles hike is enough for the day but i want to explore and see the stars at night. If you mean 'your family will be worried', well i have my phone and i won't be more 6 miles away from base camp and it's all marked trails, i'm a big boy :).
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.