[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kawasaki long range

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: Bikeo.jpg (108KB, 780x1334px) Image search: [Google]
Bikeo.jpg
108KB, 780x1334px
Got myself a bike that I'm preparing for a 5000 km trip. I haven't done anything so big, that's not to say I believe I'm ill prepared.

What are some things to consider when being on the road for a few weeks? Maybe I'm missing something?
>>
You're not going to ride that bike for 5000 km.
>>
>>805407
Any bike is a touring bike with enough dedication.

>>805400
Rain gear
Spare parts (chain, tubes, plugs, etc)
Tools
Head to toe riding gear
Way to charge phone in emergency
Goggle/visor wipes
Bandanas
This is stuff you will NEED. im sure you can figure out the other essentials
>>
>>805400
airhawk seat pad
wolfman luggage waterproof saddle bags
>>
File: IMG_20160630_212528086_HDR-L.jpg (134KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160630_212528086_HDR-L.jpg
134KB, 800x451px
>>805400
KLR?

Go through the motor and chassis. Two reasons:
One, so you know it's fresh, no outstanding issues. (Bad bearings, gummed up valves, etc). Personally i'd do a new piston and have the cylinder replated while I'm in there.
Two, so you're intimately familiar with the inner workings of it and can diagnose/repair problems when they happen.

I'd do new chain/sprockets, wheel bearings/seals, front/rear tubes before you leave. Those should last the duration of the trip.

Buy spare cables/lines (clutch mostly, but you can do it with brakes/throttle too) and zip-tie them next to the existing ones. If you lose a clutch cable, you don't have to disassemble/reassemble, you just disconnect the old one and connect the replacement that's right there. Obviously tape off the ends of the new ones so they don't get shit in 'em.
Bring a spare tube (a front tube will fit in the rear enough to get you outtawoods), short length of chain with a couple extra master links, spark plug+tool, any other parts you find need replacing in a season.

You'll probably need a new set of tires through that trip, especially if you're offroad. Plan for that accordingly.

Wear your fucking gear. Don't push yourself too hard, that's when bad decisions happen and shit goes south.

>I fucking hate fork maintenance.
>>
>>805433
Itll need an oil change at least twice
>>
where ya off to bud
>>
>>805433
OP is that bike sound? have you checked compression? bearings? and all pumps? id upgrade the lights if your going n some trails also check all wiring.

no matter how many spare parts you have you wont be able to fix a fucked cylinder wall.

how many polaks does it take to fix a kawasaki?
>>
>>805460
good ideas with havingg secondary lines already ran. never thought of that.
>>
>>805605
This is a really old trick, I can remember my dad doing this on his 60's Triumph
>>
>>805407
I took a Yamaha RXS 100 on a round trip of Europe, from London down to Barcelona and up through Northern Italy, Switzerland, western Germany and finishing in the Netherlands, 5000 Km is completely doable on a small bike, there's a guy right now that is riding a Honda C90 from Alaska to someplace in South America.

Stop being such a pussy anon.

https://www.youtube.com/user/c90adventures
>>
>>805433
Spare bulbs and fuses.
>>
>>805400
5000k from where to where? Pretty important to know what sort of conditions/terrain you'll be dealing with before making suggestions.
>>
>>805460
This guy knows his shit.
>>
File: IMG_20160704_202310248-L.jpg (115KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160704_202310248-L.jpg
115KB, 800x451px
>>809013
Finally got mine all put together and running this weekend.
Did another heat cycle this evening, fluid levels all look good.
Cleaned up my bench, packed up all my tools, aired up the tires, and one final bolt-check (Rear axle nut wasn't tightened, and one of the bolts for the plastics was still loose).

Tomorrow I ride it.
>>
File: 1465617234041.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
1465617234041.gif
2MB, 235x240px
>>809044
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.