[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iceland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: Eyjafjallajökull.jpg (4MB, 2960x1983px) Image search: [Google]
Eyjafjallajökull.jpg
4MB, 2960x1983px
The idea is to spend 3 weeks in Iceland. Book a ticket in late July and fly back around 19th August, just before university starts. I just want to hike the whole time and sleep in a tent and experience the wild life, apart from shoes, tent, sleeping bag and all the other small things I will need, is there anyone who has hiked around Iceland for a prolonged period of time, so I could gain some valuable insight into hiking and camping. Cheers
>>
>>804985
Is there any good fishing in iceland?
>>
I have never been there, I have no idea. But I do strongly believe they have fish there it is an island.
>>
>>804986
I've fished successfully at the docks in the two largest towns. I think that to fish in rivers or lakes you need permits (which can be expensive) but its something you could do. I got a video of salmon jumping up into a waterfall here last summer.
>>
File: salmon animation.gif (4MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
salmon animation.gif
4MB, 320x240px
>>
>>804985
Mate I literally just arrived back from 2 weeks there yesterday,
The wife and I were thinking of doing the car camping thing for the two weeks and we're so fin glad we didn't. Basically it was crazy expensive to hire a decent size camper for the two weeks (I'm 6,1' and there was no way the wife and I could sleep comfortably in the ball-park affordable smaller Renault/VW minivan camper things)

We considered just getting a small VW Golf and just throwing our camping gear in it and pitching a tent at the camp sites but there almost non-existent (I know it sounds weird, trust me). Our best plan of attack was to just stay at guest houses/farm stays ($100-150 US a night average) and just hike/drive around. It's just getting into tourist season there now and it was pretty fun busy in the two weeks we were there.

Amazing scenery, nice locals - would go back in a heart beat.
>>
>>805283
Sorry I forgot to mention - the weather can change pretty damn quick over there. On one hike we were sweating in a tee-shirt, then got hailed on, rained on, and blown away by gusts in the space of 20 mins. This cycle happened all day, on a fair few days over there. Definitely pack some light wet weather gear.
And food was damn expensive. They love a lot of deep fried food (which surprised me), if you're on a budget grocery stores are the go for meals (sorry if that's obvious, but you'll find cafe type meals are pretty expensive)
>>
>>805294
How much were cafe style meals? We're they tasty
?
>>
>>804985

You will probably die
>>
>>805283
I'm doing this car camping thing right now in Alaska. I didn't plan anything out about this trip, I didn't even buy a return ticket although I plan to be here for 3 or 4 weeks.
But I soon realized when I got here that rental cars in the summer are really stupid, plus most rental car places won't rent to me because I'm too young. I just bought a car instead. I paid 1500 for the car and even if I sell it to get rid of it for 500 dollars, it is still way better than car rentals.

I'm not really sure how this idea would change applied internationally, though. But the idea is plausible, I am doing it right now.
>>
>>805302
Usually just greasy burger and fries type deal, upwards of $30 US for just that. Pretty ordinary really
>>
I've been there for 2 weeks in februari, rented a car and did several hikes in the South.

You're probably gonna die though..
Iceland is real harsh even in the summer.
>>
File: cross iceland.jpg (224KB, 700x485px) Image search: [Google]
cross iceland.jpg
224KB, 700x485px
>>805392
>>805467
lol what the fuck is this faggotry.

Ignore these people who have no idea about /out/ aside from car camping. Iceland is perfectly fine to hike in the summer, popular even.

Personally never been there but some friends-acquaintances hiked it, one of them did the 550km hike in pic related.
Make sure you're good on water and be aware that the weather is your biggest adversary- be prepared to deal with some storms.

How much hiking experience do you have?
>>
>>805515
Its no joke that inexperienced people or lone hikers have gone out in the country thinking they knew what they were doing but it easy to get lost and there are hidden pits and rough terrain, especially in the highlands as you get closer to the center of the country.

You need to be aware of these things before you go hiking the highlands. You also have to pay attention to the weather and if there's any likelyhood of eruptions.
>>
>>805170
Nice! Which waterfall was this? I'm going in April.
>>
>>805597
>inexperienced people or lone hikers have gone out in the country thinking they knew what they were doing but it easy to get lost and there are hidden pits and rough terrain

Inexperienced hikers get lost die from exposure/underestimating the terrain all the time.
I take my family hiking to the same places where other hikers plummeted to death from cliffs because lack of care/paying attention/being retarded.
Just the other day a tourist hiker died from dehydration about 150km away from where I live.

Advice is to list the dangers and suggest ways to avoid them, not to tell hikers they will die on perfectly fine hiking trails in season.

>You need to be aware of these things before you go hiking the highlands.
You just illustrated why your comment is actually helpful, while the previous one's were trash.
>>
>>804985
3 weeks? Wouldn't 1 week be enough?
>>
>>805694
That waterfall is one of the several small waterfalls mentioned in this article ; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elli%C3%B0a%C3%A1r
>>
>>806419
Gorgeous! Thank you.
>>
File: SAM_3302.jpg (275KB, 986x657px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_3302.jpg
275KB, 986x657px
>>804985
Did that last year, also three weeks, but hitchhiking the ringroad to get from one area to the next. Be ready for some really strong wind. Also if you go off track (don't go far offtrack or in the mountains without the right equipment, theres just empty desert inland and you'll get lost) then be prepared for the sharp volcanic rocks to fuck up you boots. It's a lot of aa-lava and volcanic glass, Those will get little cuts into your boot's leather and maybe damage exposed seams.
The rocks on the volcanoes are very brittle, so it can be very hard to get up anywhere even if the rise isn't so big.
If you still go further inland take a rope, it might be useful in river crossings and sometimes on the mountains. I personally had some troubles around Ejafyallajokul with both waterstreams, snowfields and brittle rocks.
Also emergency hotline is 112 and from what I know helicopter rescue is FOR FREE is you weren't behaving really, really stupid;)
Hitchhiking works pretty good too IF you find some cars. Icelanders are very nice and the tourists also often take you. Of yourse the guys with their super-trucks never take you with them.
Also everything is super expensive, better buy a lot in advance everytime you find a Bonus supermarket
>>
>>805302
To be completely honest, stuff is expensive and usually pretty crap, they all live in weird corrugated steel hpuses, its very light and there are barely any trees.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.