[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 16

File: news-rigging-3.jpg (142KB, 980x731px) Image search: [Google]
news-rigging-3.jpg
142KB, 980x731px
What can guy without college education aim for?
>>
>>804619
>Burger King.
>>
Ive been doing petty well with only a highschool education, Though im a hard worker, willing to put in extra work, am physically capable , And had Previous job experience working from family and friends
3-4 years carpentry experience
Seasonal work at fish hatchery
occasional wok at farm, or various handyman shit

id like to find another job possibly just to pick up another 10-20 hours a week to keep me busy, and have a bit more cash to save

it all depends on your personality, to be quite honest, Only reason i was hired at the hatchery in the first place was because i had a passion for the work,
and the only reason ive been rehired is because im willing to actually do the work and i get aong with the people there

>tldr depends on personality and many other things
>>
>>804619
Get a trade. You'll be out earning most of your college peers. Bonus go for welding huge shortage of them in the states.
>>
>>804641
>You'll be out earning most of your college peers
While hating life at the same time
>>
>>804674
Not if you are you own boss...which many tradesmen are.
>>
>>804619

Trade schools usually offer free education and money for training. However, they seem to have a low'ish cap on ending salary.

There are also plenty of labor jobs in the U.S. government. The issue being that eventually you'll need higher education or be stuck at a GS-7/8 level. Another issue is that if you want to want to move up in grades and job, you'll need to physically move to different cities on the course of your career.

You could always self teach yourself programming languages and luck into an entry-level position somewhere.
>>
>>804619
>i need a job, waaa

Pleb. Make a business, don't get a job.
>>
Fight forest fires then fishing boat or logging during other seasons

You'll clear 80k a year if you steadily work without a drug problem
>>
>>804619
You can do trail and forest work with a HS diploma. Do 3-4 years of that and the forest service will pick you up on sheer experience. Then you can do rescue (though you wont get paid for the first year or so) or just general forest work.
>>
>>804674
>imblying white collar workers don't own the suicide rate stats
>>
Commercial fisherman
>>
File: image.jpg (426KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
426KB, 1080x1920px
do you have any connection with the BSA?

Have you applied at Philmont, Northern Tier, Summit, or Sea Base?

You don't need any BSA experience, but it helps (my gf is working here and she's never done a single thing with Boy Scouts/Venturing before).

It's a very /out/ related job, OP. I'm at Philmont and would highly recommend it.
>>
File: outhack.jpg (207KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
outhack.jpg
207KB, 900x675px
>>804641

tried to be carpenter/farmer/forester, but im shit at working manual labour to earn anything serious apart from berrypicking in local forest or tulip cutting in Netherlands. Got a frontend programmer job, now moving to php/golang, earn pretty ok for an eastern european, can afford trips outside of the province, can organize my own schedule, get all gear and rent/buy on spot what I need. Been to norway, spain, finland, italy this year alone. Thinking of temporarily moving to some poor asian country to save money and /out/n/p/, something like Burma, Georgia, Kazakhstan
>>
>>804619
I worked for Forest Service as labor they work hard and its oustide, also you can catch on with Western Fire Crews during summer, dangerous work tho.

If you have a state, that would be more helpful.
>>
File: philly packline.jpg (5MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
philly packline.jpg
5MB, 4320x3240px
>>805107

not OP here but I'm an eagle scout. How much do you get paid? From what I've heard scout camps pay almost nothing. I still remember my Philmont guide. Cool dude, and cool job, but can't be getting paid much for that gig.
>>
Arborists can make good money. I've just finished college studying Arboriculture & Forstry. Not a university college but technical local college. There are other ways into the industry like apprenticeships or taking short courses.
>>
Join the military
>>
File: 1435945967217.gif (2MB, 320x384px) Image search: [Google]
1435945967217.gif
2MB, 320x384px
>>805609
>dying overseas in a pointless war to protect foreign interests
>>
>>805657
99% of the military is not combat related. You can join the Air Force and they will teach you a never ending list of trades for free if you are't a complete moron and scored decently on the ASVAB.

Military here in the United States is an incredibly sweet deal. You get most of your necessities free which means you can save up a lot of money for when your contracts over.
>>
>>805657
To piggy back off what >>805662 said

My friend joined the Air Force pretty much straight out of high school. They taught and certified him as an HVAC technician and now works in some military base in Alaska just sitting in a boiler room all day making sure the climate control is working.
>>
>>805662
Know anything about the coast guard?
>>
File: 1466882274879.jpg (203KB, 1600x1071px) Image search: [Google]
1466882274879.jpg
203KB, 1600x1071px
>>805673
>>
File: 1466883010775.jpg (2MB, 2784x1848px) Image search: [Google]
1466883010775.jpg
2MB, 2784x1848px
>>805675
>>
File: 1466885860089.jpg (1MB, 1764x1176px) Image search: [Google]
1466885860089.jpg
1MB, 1764x1176px
>>805676
>>
File: 1466882342206.jpg (628KB, 2503x1664px) Image search: [Google]
1466882342206.jpg
628KB, 2503x1664px
>>805678
>>
File: 1466882804289.jpg (129KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1466882804289.jpg
129KB, 1000x1500px
>>805680
>>
File: 1466882871521.jpg (4MB, 3200x2128px) Image search: [Google]
1466882871521.jpg
4MB, 3200x2128px
>>805682
>>805673
Not the guy you asked about coast guard but I have this small folder and I felt like post it.
>>
So, yes? How feasible would it to be put on a research vessel? I've got a bachelors in biology and could ace the ASVAB with ease.
>>
>>805107
You're at Philmont? Know a kid named Jon T. (no last name on 4chans) he's a huge weeb and a compsci major if that helps. He talks about Philmont all the time.
>>
File: 1381383027090.jpg (201KB, 800x642px) Image search: [Google]
1381383027090.jpg
201KB, 800x642px
im 19 just out of school and am a junior forest tech w no previous outdoor experience / since oil and gas is dead - really good pay and you learn a whole lot about the outdoors. strongly recommend
>>
File: image.jpg (294KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
294KB, 1080x1920px
>>805465
Yea it's pretty little, just a little over $1,100/month if it's your first year. However, that includes room and board (as well as access to all of the back country, free trail meals for your treks on days off, access to all of the back country camps, also signing up for Philmont scholarships if you're in the PSA, and some other neat things). You certainly don't work here for the money, but I know a lot of guys (especially those on Cons work crews) who sort of just bum around and work at Breck, Vail, or Winterpark during the fall/winter then do Philmont all summer. Wouldn't be a bad lifestyle (assuming you had no family yet). I would highly recommend it, anon.

>>805730
Probably works activities or something in base camp then. All of the Rangers, back country staff, and cons guys are awesome. Same thing with the dining hall kids, they get a lot of days off so you see them in the back country or off in CO all the time.
>>
>>805686
look into NOAA Corps
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>804619
I'm not really in-touch with nature with my job, but at least I'm not stuck inside a cubicle from 8am-5pm.
>>
>>806448
My little bro is going to school for meteorology and I'm anxious to see what he ends up doing for a career. Listening to him talk about the job options, there are so many crazy choices. He could be a on a cruise ship watching the weather, work at an airport, etc. Right now he is interning for the power company.
>>
>>806457
I hate getting stuck in the Cascadia.
>>
>>806457
I'm in same line of work. Do you have camping or fishing gear on ur truck? And if you do go camping from ur truck how do you get there? Rent a car?
>>
>>806457
How hard is trucking as a career?
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>806472
I'm normally in a KW

>>806479
I do local.

>>806545
Depends what you do and what company you work for. I do local and deliver dat Pepsi. Kinda a bust-ass job, but I have been there a couple years and have a lot of it figured out so it isn't quite as bad most days. When I started I didn't have much trucking experience and if I wanted to sleep in my own bed at night and still make some money, I had to do something like that.

"Over The Road" or OTR, that's the cross country guys who sleep in their trucks. The job is pretty easy but can be frustrating. Just read the truckerfag threads on /o/ and you will hear horror stories. A lot of that depends on the company you work for. As a company driver, driving their trucks an everything, you can expect to make ~$30k-$40k the first year, maybe a little more as you get the hang of it and get on the dispatcher's good side. If you do flatbed or tank work with some experience, you could do a little better. But the best way to make money OTR is to buy your own truck and become an "owner-operator" and make $100k+ easy if you know what you are doing.

Staying local as a new driver, you could drive for a shitty garbage company and make $30k-$35k or drive a straight truck delivering liquor or whatever for the same, if not a little more. Or you could get a job like mine and make $40k-$60k depending on what company you work for and what your route is like. I do a little over $50k, but there are newer guys and slower guys who are probably at $40k-$45k, and then dudes who have routes with a ton of cases (commission) and work some Saturdays can be getting close to $60k.

Overall, the money isn't great and the industry has gotten a little fucked up in recent years with the economy. But if you aren't in a position where you can spend 4yrs+ and lots of $$$ on college, trucking is better than retail or food service 90% of the time.
>>
>>806545
Become an owner operator. My grandpa and dad were, my dad was bringing home 10k paychecks some good months. Some of it goes towards truck payments, fuel, brokers and shit but still good money
>>
>>806555
Thanks for the reply! You're very informative. Is loading/unloading the truck a part of your work too, or is that handled by other people?
How come you're still doing local deliveries?
>>
>>806572
The warehouse dudes load the trucks at night but I unload the whole trailer throughout the day.

>how come you're still doing local?
Because I like sleeping in my own bed and I would make less money if I went OTR as a company driver than I do now. I need to get out of Pepsi one day but I am lazy and don't want to start all over at a new place.

>>806562
Yeah but you still have to drive for a company for a few years first. You could get a Class A CDL and buy your own truck and trailer while your license is still warm from the printer, but you will have no idea what you are doing, nobody will want to insure your trucks and loads, and nobody will hire you to transport their stuff.
>>
>>805664
that sounds terrible desu
>>
>>805662
What's with all the fawning "thank you for your service" in yankistan? If most of the work isn't combat related...it's just human cogs in the bloated military industrial complex, why do the amerifats get a boner for a soldier?
>>
>>805109
Where are you from?
>>
>>806726
Contrary to what Fox blasts and the right wing pretends to actually give a fuck about, most of us don't get boners for soldiers. A high percentage of people are totally indifferent to it.
>>
>>804619
I enlisted at the age of 18 in 2002 in the USAF as a power production CE troop (3e0x2). I spent my entire enlistment in Alaska. So there you go. I had more /out/ time than I care to think about.

I should have gone coast guard looking back, but I was scared of having to live in close quarters on a vessel. The air force quality of life seemed pretty solid, and it is, but I could have parlayed my coast guard commitment into a homeland security gig. The dudes that inspect containers on the docks make close to six figures with nice federal benefits. Plus they get to carry pistols.
>>
>>806726
I hope your country gets invaded and destroyed the next time the amerifats need somebody to blame for their foreign policy blowing up their faces
>>
>>806457
get rid of them newports mr pepsi
>>
>>804674
Then train as an MRI tech ya fucking cunt
>>
If you are brown or a woman, get a government job and you will be untouchable, good pay and bennie's and no effort required

If you are a white guy you have to work for yourself . Otherwise you are getting paid the same as inferior workers and most of your efforts go to the boss man.
>>
>>804674
moreso than wageslaving in the cube farm?
>>
>>806622
Definitely. You should always spend a few years figuring out the ropes and getting a reputation built
>>
Im currently in university doing a programming degree but i don't see myself using it, i will most likely go into police
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Some days it's nice not being stuck in a cubicle
>>
>>804619
Farm hand?
>>
>>806726
Respecting the military is American culture.
In our movies and TV, soldiers are regular people like you and me, that have been given training and responsibility that leads to acts of heroism.
(Band of brothers, saving private Ryan etc.)

Maybe that's why we have such a powerful military.

"Countries that don't care for their soldiers will be taken over by one that does"
>>
>>804619
Raft guide in a warm area
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.