[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is your favourite explorer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (65KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 500x363px
Who is your favourite explorer?
>>
Secondary question:
What is your favourite expedition?
>>
I'm not too versed in muh explorers but Shackleton is pretty bad ass.

Although the golden age of exploration is still king - Magellan, Drake, Cook, Columbus, Núñez, Polo
>>
>>804314
Shackleton is a bad-ass, can't be topped. "Endurance" is a very good /out/ book, everybody should read it. Amundsen is also seriously cool.
>>
File: nansen.jpg (236KB, 1024x1463px) Image search: [Google]
nansen.jpg
236KB, 1024x1463px
This guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fridtjof_Nansen
>>
>>804323
I'm reading South rn. Fucking crazy.
>>
Dora.
>>
a dude from my hometown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salomon_August_Andr%C3%A9e
>>
>>804326
This
>>
>>804304
I am not really into explorers, so maybe Marco Polo.
Jacques Cartier maybe. He made an abundant description of an Indian tribe that was never met again by the Europeans. They were probably killed by the Iroquois.
>>
>>804323
One of my favorite books, /out/ themed or not
>>
Capt. James T. Kirk like a motherfucker!

> not prefering green pussy
>>
>>804323
Came here to say this exact thing.
>>
>>804323
>>805136
There is no way those two pussies are cooler than J. T. Kirk!
>>
>>805136
Shackelton is badass, without doubt, but it' shard to say he's more badass than the explorers who left europe for the unmapped, totally unknown, in the 15th-16th centuries. I mean, open-ocean shipping was dangerous and harrowing af in those days as it is, nevermind going out to the horizon having no idea if anything was even out there. There was no plan B, nobody knew if they would get anywhere. It was basically a death sentence until proven otherwise. I can't even imagine having the courage and leadership to undertake something so fucking horrifying like Polo, or Columbus, or even Cook did.

Not to mention the superstitions of the day - sea serpents, devils, etc. Must have been exhilerating but fuck. FUCK.

I'm not putting Shackelford down or anything, but he had maps, modern gear, and full modern scientific understanding of the currents and stars, and he knew where he was going. It was badass and almost killed him, but it's different.
>>
>no one says muir
>>
>>805151
Even Lewis & Clark while we're at it. Must have been awesome times.
>>
>>804326
correct
>>
>>805150
Consider the fact his journey should have killed him, but by his outstanding leadership was able to save and rescue every single crewman aboard the Endurance.

That's pretty much the most badass thing you can do. If you sailed uncharted waters, got everyone else killed, and barely made it out yourself, are you really as badass as a guy who made men thrive in the most hostile environment on planet earth? I mean, entire leadership conferences are held based on a biography of the man! His leadership tactics are studied by fortune 500 CEOs, not just NEETs on a Taiwanese Letter Writing Forum.
>>
columbus obviously
>>
John Wesley Powell
Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton
>>
File: image.jpg (92KB, 948x1422px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 948x1422px
Ferdinand Magellan's circumnavigation was badass. I read pic related while in rehab for pain killer abuse. Reading about the hardships that nautical explorers endured made withdrawals a little easier to deal with. Also Shakleton was god-tier explorer.
>>
>>808131
Forgot to add; my rehab consisted of taking a month leave of absence from my job and camping in the middle of the desert in southern Utah and kicking the pills cold turkey.
>>
Jedidiah Smith, mountain man extraordinairre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedediah_Smith
>>
Stephens and Catherwood are pretty neat. They discovered dozens of Mayan ruins in central America and basically found the first solid proof of the civilization.
>>
>>804304
Hernando Cortés
>>
>>804326
>n 1905 Nansen spoke out for the ending of Norway's union with Sweden, and was instrumental in persuading Prince Carl of Denmark to accept the throne of the newly independent Norway

Damn he saved Norway from becoming cucked
>>
File: SWEDEN DOES IT AGAIN.png (45KB, 1131x95px) Image search: [Google]
SWEDEN DOES IT AGAIN.png
45KB, 1131x95px
>>804432
>Find the story of this balloon expedition interesting
>Open the article
>Self hating Swedes had to add a paragraph bashing masculinity and patriotism

You can't make this stuff up lads
>>
>>808132
>rehab
>cold turkey in the desert
i hope this wasn't a program that cost anything anon

congrats on cleaning-up though bro
>>
File: dances_w_wolves_tenbears.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dances_w_wolves_tenbears.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>808390
>but Coronado is the one who met the injuns
>>
>>804304
Carlos Casteneda
>>
>>
Timothy Leary
>>
>>804304

Ibn Battuta
>>
>>809062
ha-ha.......damn hippie.
>>
>>804451
Recommend any good books about Jacques Cartier?
>>
File: image.jpg (333KB, 1000x1351px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
333KB, 1000x1351px
Amerigo Vespucci
>>
>>808926
>Coronado
Very interesting reading. Thank you, didn't know about Coronado, shame on me. Anyway, what Cortés did was absolutely suicidal. He scuttled his own ships to make sure there was no way out. Then he managed to beat forces that could have easily killed them all at any day. Unlike many great military leaders in history he knew he would die for sure if he was to fail. He was a gambler and he's only remembered because he won.

Good: Shackleton
Bad: Cortés
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.