[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, who here is currently in a flood?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 23

File: DSC00146.jpg (150KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00146.jpg
150KB, 640x480px
Pic related, my driveway. Anyone else here in Maine and underwater?
>>
File: DSC00139.jpg (150KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00139.jpg
150KB, 640x480px
>>803738
>>
Shit I'm supposed to camping/backpacking in acadia and baxter st park first week of august, will this haram my trip? I'll be driving up from Florida.
>>
>>803751
No, everything will be dry by then.
>>
File: hotchie.png (41KB, 305x306px) Image search: [Google]
hotchie.png
41KB, 305x306px
hotchie motchie OP!

I live in MA and we've been in a drought for about 3 weeks now. Sprinkled lightly today but all the grass is turning brown and reservoirs are getting low. And her eyou guys are jut a little further nawth getting washed right the fuck out.

I hope you get this message in time OP. Godspeed and RIP †
>>
>>803752

Does it rain alot in august?
>>
File: DSC00140.jpg (141KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00140.jpg
141KB, 640x480px
>>803758
>RIP †
Naw, i'm doing great. These pictures are the road at the bottom of the driveway, i'm 100 feet up from there on the side of Hardscrabble mountain.

Everything here is getting washed out but all the camps are located on slopes. So the roads, bridges and streams washout but me and my stuff are fine.

Mountains flood easily but they drain easily as well. 7.2 inches of rain since 2pm according to my davis weather station, only 21.1 inches all year. So one third of the years rain happened in the last 5 hours.
>>
>>803761
Not really. June often turns us into a temperate rain forest like the Olympic peninsula though.
>>
>>803764
crazy. well, be sure to take pics of anything interesting like if a VW floats by, or if the habbenin starts habbenin
>>
>>803770
Well i'm in a unincorporated township with only 4 residents and 25 miles from a paved road, not much to float by. However weirdly enough...

Last night i watched The Whisperer in Darkness and the Resurrected, both of which feature floods washing up monsters. In the morning i'll go looking for dead Mi-Go and partially animated corpses.
>>
File: doom.jpg (7KB, 249x170px) Image search: [Google]
doom.jpg
7KB, 249x170px
>>803770
>the habbenin starts habbenin
Pretty sure getting trapped on a mountainside during major regional flooding counts as at least a minor happening so....

ITS HAPPENING!!!!
>>
File: ufo2crach.jpg (22KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
ufo2crach.jpg
22KB, 720x576px
>>803778
anon if you don't uncover an ancient crashed and dormant alien spacecraft when the waters recede i'm gonna be so disappointed
>>
>>803783
Actually i'm going to go panning for gold, all the rocks up here are loaded with quartz and a few weeks ago i found a spot where every pan had flakes in it. I am going to be stuck inside for a few days, i have some old pine planks and scrap carpet that i might try making a sluice box out of. A crap ton of it is is no doubt getting washed out right now, need to get to it before it settles.
>>
>>803761
no, but bring 100 gallons of insect repellant
>>
Never been to Maine, what's the best time of the year over there in your opinion?
>>
>>803844
July/August if you want it to be the warmest with the most plant life but not raining all the time. I kinda like it in the winter when it is a icy wasteland but then i'm a bit of a Hermit.
>>
>>803738
> my pants are flooding with cum your momma is guzzleing up like a hog
>>
>>803761
when I went in mid-august it literally did not stop raining the entire week. it was still cool though
>>
File: DSC00145.jpg (155KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00145.jpg
155KB, 640x480px
>>804008
Each year during June/July/August it rains like crazy for two weeks or so. Usually it is early in the year, August is uncommon however when it does rain heavily it is pretty bad.

We are in the Appalachian mountains after all and they don't call it the 1000 lakes region for nothing. This shit (pic related) is unusual, it is not normally this bad. As i said, the really heavy rain usually only lasts at most 2 weeks, it is probably bad this year because it was late.

Come on up to Jackman/Upper Enchanted TWP with the other guys who are considering staying at my place, it is a hell of alot more isolated than a park and after the flood it is going to be awesome for damn near everything you can imagine. Gold panning, Mushroom hunting, fishing, hiking, just walking off into innawoods.You can even geoshit, rock climb and do metal finding up here, 5 miles up the trail is the remains of a WW2 POW camp.

Also Enchanted cave which is the longest cave in New England and somewhere north west is an actual glacial ice cave which i don't really know how to find but it's there.
>>
>>803768

You niggers have no idea how lucky y'all have it. Texas is fucking humid and everything is trying to eat me
>>
>>804025
Maine is far worse than Texas when it comes to nature hurting you.

Maine will kill you with hypothermia on a 90+ degree day when you are sweating your ass off. Maine has at least 6 lethal to humans animals which admittedly don't include poisonous snakes or serious risk of lethal disease.

Your bugs are a joke compared to ours, we have these things called Black flies which actually take out chunks of your skin and eat them.

The only parts of Texas worse than Maine are your border swamps which are horrible, horrible places that i wish HP Lovecraft had visited so he could write a story about how bad they are.

Alaska>Appalachian Maine>Texas border swamp>So-Cal/Mexican border in the summer
>>
File: IMG_8349 (Large).jpg (390KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8349 (Large).jpg
390KB, 1440x1080px
>>803738
Toronto here, we're having a drought.
>>
File: DSC00150.jpg (151KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00150.jpg
151KB, 640x480px
>>803738
Here's a picture as of 7:00 AM of what my road looks like. Annoyingly i had just paid up my dues to the road association to have it leveled and graded.
>>
File: DSC00149.jpg (151KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00149.jpg
151KB, 640x480px
>>804120
And here is a 36 inch plastic culvert that was buried 3 feet underground.

It may not be apparent from this picture but that thing is an impassable barrier for a wheeled vehicle if it is wet and you can't go around it or over it.

Every local bridge is gone cutting off the area completely, luckily only one couple on vacation got stuck in the area. I'm bringing them a lb of bacon and 5 gallons of gas for their generator this evening.
>>
>>803858
Fuck that it's to humid. Late may early june. Then again. I'm a winter guy and I'm all but useless come july.
>>
>>804125
I'm planning on buying some land in maine (outside of my house in standish ). And live the hermit life as well. What do you do for income?
>>
>>804131
>Your complaints about humidity
>OP image is my driveway

>>804134
I spent most of my life caring for my elderly and infirm father until he died when i was 26, i then joined the Army for 8 years because i had no other decent life path. While in the Army i fucked up my knee horribly and got a disability rating. I then used my GI bill to get a agriculture degree but since my university gave free tuition to disabled veterans i pocketed all my GI bill and Pell Grant money.

I used that money to buy half a mountain in a isolated spot in rural Maine, 46 acres and 3 basic cabins.

I'm 41 years old, more or less retired and have financial freedom by virtue of having almost no expenses. I have no utility bills, my only annual expenses are my property tax and road association fees (@$400 a year) and $90 a month for the over priced internet connection that i am communicating to you with. I don't have a phone besides Skype and have never owned a phone (wireless or land line) in my entire life besides a Trac phone i used when i owned a restaurant for a couple of years.

I do nothing for income because i spent most of my life busting my ass to get to the point where i don't need income. To pay for my property i need $400 a year, i could get that collecting beer cans by a road side.

I get about $750 a month from the VA , i'll be spending most of my remaining life with a cane and a support strapped to my knee joint.

I do whatever i want because i've arranged my life that way. I regret many things but the freedom i have to live in total isolation in the woods is worth it. I could have been smarter, more successful, richer, ect but i'm free and that is what matters.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160629-094001.png (313KB, 1200x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160629-094001.png
313KB, 1200x1920px
>>804138
I'm in a similar situation as you but don't know if I can be quite so far out in the middle of nowhere. I'd like to live within 15 miles of of some sort of town or city.

I don't care about jobs, only quality of life stuff like weather, recreation, lack of Muslims and diversity etc.. Any suggestions on where to start looking? Anywhere on pic related?
>>
>>804138
nice
>>
Update time: I am in a actual survival situation here it seems.

Every bridge leading out of here has washed out. The main road leading to the highway is a 60 foot wide crater, every bridge is gone including the supports. Most likely all the bridges are out which means dozens of them.

It looks like it will be weeks before i can leave. Tomorrow i'll go out and take some pictures of the destroyed bridges.
>>
>>804226
Any unincorporated township with decent land prices. I got 46 acres and 3 cabins for 50K and if i knew what i was doing i probably could have had it for 40K.
>>
>>804624
Very interested in more pictures. good luck man.
>>
>>804624
Cheesus christ man. You gonna be ok? I assume with innanet nobody's gonna forget you're out there but might want to check-in with some local emergency services so they know you're out there but that you're ok
>>
>>804643
The township is 70 sq miles and has 4 residents, my first winter i went to town twice in 4 months. No one is coming for me, it is entirely possible i could stuck here for more than a month.

That is just fine, i have plenty of food, my potatoes are starting to bulk out in the garden and there are so many rabbits that they literally walk into the house if i leave the door open.

I am more concerned with a elderly guy who lives a few miles away, he had a stroke last year and isn't in the best health. I couldn't get past the blown out bridge that leads to his house today and there is going to be another storm tomorrow. In the morning i am going to try to find my wet suit and attempt to cross the stream so i can get to him to check up on him.

There is also a couple of seasonal folks stuck at their camp but they seem to be OK for now, if they are stuck for too long i'll bring them a sack of rice and a few roasted rabbits on sticks to tide them over.
>>
>>804019
sounds like you keep pretty busy
>>
>>804664
well shit, that's intense. do take pics and keep us updated!
>>
File: DSC00154.jpg (153KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00154.jpg
153KB, 640x480px
Updates! So here is the main road...
>>
File: DSC00155.jpg (149KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00155.jpg
149KB, 640x480px
>>805007
More...
>>
File: DSC00158.jpg (157KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00158.jpg
157KB, 640x480px
>>805011
No problem, i'll go out the other way....
>>
File: DSC00157.jpg (155KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00157.jpg
155KB, 640x480px
>>805013
Dude, where's my bridge? Oh, there it is.
>>
>>805011
Did you check on your old ass neighbor?
>>
File: DSC00160.jpg (156KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00160.jpg
156KB, 640x480px
>>805015
Sweet! Free giant concrete blocks just all over the place!
>>
>>804058
>Your bugs are a joke compared to ours
Fire ants can cripple you if you get enough bites, not cause pain, but actually cause you to become paraplegic. And that is just the ants in TX.

But keep thinking flies that bite are bad.
>>
File: DSC00165.jpg (153KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00165.jpg
153KB, 640x480px
>>805019
Unfortunately no, i can't physically reach his house. He is about 5 miles past this:
>>805015
>>
File: DSC00162.jpg (152KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00162.jpg
152KB, 640x480px
>>805021
OK, fine. I'll give you bugs.

Hmm...This road has a few potholes...
>>
File: 1438968748469.gif (2MB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
1438968748469.gif
2MB, 300x290px
>>804025
>>805021
>it's an annoying Texan talking about how badass Texas is episode
>>
>>805033
>stop talking about states I dont like!
>>
>>804624
If you need any help say so. I could use an excuse for a weird hike. I'll have to tell work someone died.
>>
>>805039
Nah, i'm fine. I can get to the main road, the logging companies will fix the bridges on that in a week or so. Meanwhile i have a neighbor whose house i check up on, he left a shitload of deli in his fridge and he gave me leave to eat it all before it went bad.

If you want to come up fine, but don't lose work over it.
>>
>>803813

>tfw you just warned someone from florida about insects

I'm pretty sure hes aware, him dealing with them more than you, and all.
>>
>>805074
Actually you can keep a house remarkably free of insects in some parts of Florida. You just have to adapt to having dozens of tiny lizards infesting your house.
>>
>>805021

Shut the fuck up lol I've been to Texas and it's not shit, just a bunch of flat, dry, bullshit. People in the swamp to your east have it much harder than you lmfao.

Bunch of pampered ranch owners trying to roughneck it. Pussies.

>>804058
And you shut the fuck up. Main isn't any worse. You're both from easy going states. Honestly. Go to the bah and get a beeyah. Don't forget to get your shit pushed in by Canadians, the people you try so horribly to emulate.
>>
File: medgecko463.jpg (77KB, 463x289px) Image search: [Google]
medgecko463.jpg
77KB, 463x289px
>>805081

mein neger

the little bastards are everywhere on my wall at night
>>
>>805082
Ants that can make you paraplegic
Animals that are a natural carrier of syphilis
Centipedes that can eat birds out the air
Snakes that can kill you
Scorpions that can kill you
Multiple varieties of spiders that can kill you
>Its just dry and flat, I know I have been there!
So you admit to being retarded then?
>>
>>805086

Wahhh a bunch of bugs can hurt you in the right situations!

You have to deal with what literally every other state you border has to deal with. You must have it so hard you gigantic fucking pussy.

>everything is so STD ridden in Texas that even the majority of animals have it
>>
>>805086
>>805082
And then there is this tough guy.....Calm down bro, no need to be a hot head there.
>>805083
Those things are awesome. Except when they are infesting your bed or getting squished and making a smell.
>>
>>805091

Were not the same person and I'm not being a tough guy

These two retards trying to wave dicks and compare Maine and Texas when they're almost completely opposite is just fucking retarded.
>>
>>805083
Florida fag here.

Those are some of favorite animals ever. I love watching them hunt around my porch light at night. They also sound cool when they're attempting to attract a mate.
>>
>guy makes a cool thread with great pics
>out of nowhere TEXAS TOUGH, DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS
Texas is the least /out/ state there is, 99% of it is private land, it's completely devoid of any interesting geology or topography, the only hard thing in Texas is dealing with the painfully annoying people who were born there.
>but look at this stock image of one cool thing in Texas I found on google
If you want to show all the tough and awesome Texas /out/ things you've done (you haven't) make a thread about it instead of shitting up this good one.
>>
>>805055
I've been working almost everyday for the last 3 years. I can justify if not afford to do so.
>>
File: DSC00164.jpg (154KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00164.jpg
154KB, 640x480px
>>805106
Well this is annoying, the creek bed shifted and now it looks like the road is it's new location. The soil is so sandy and rocky that high water erodes anything without vegetation ridiculously fast. everything but the roads is just fine like noting ever happened.

Because whoever built the roads had the GREAT idea to put them on the only flat land around, the valley bottoms which are old stream beds.

Well, new stream beds now.
>>
>>805119
Well don't let me ruin your finances, i can handle a bit of water mucking up the lawn.
>>
>>805124
Just bitching and fantasizing on the Internet. I hope to be setup similarly to you in the next five years. I hope to buy the land before that. But I can't sell this house for 4 and a half more years.
>>
Update: Meet up with some folks who were trapped on the other side of the bridge, my slightly drainbramaged neighbor is fine. Really cool guy, in his 70's, has a Phd from MIT, drives a unimog and is one of the founders of the Alaskan Independence movement.
>>
Any more updates. Really interesting read.
>>
Dont use this site much but this thread has got me coming back
>>
Every time it rains in my city it ends up on national news, op's pic is our regular rainy day.
>>
>>803783
Is that pic real? What happened?
>>
>>805944
>>805995
>>806000
Warning: incoming experience related /pol/ rant .

So i drove a 150 mile loop via the coolest place you have never heard of (Holeb Maine, google image search it) to avoid the blown out bridges and tell someone in town that people were trapped up here, 7 of them that i had personally spoken too yesterday . Jackman's Sheriff was missing, as was our warden. Since there was no one else to speak to i went to town hall and me and the Town Manager called the Wardens.

According to the Wardens they had sent out people to check on 'every dwelling place" in the township and assured the town manager that not only had they checked every house but there was no one up there. Not only physically impossible;e but a lie since that morning i had talked to 7 people spread over 4 homes that had never seen a Warden. I left at 8:00 AM.

When i got back around 6:30 PM half the bridges had been fixed or at least the culverts re-positioned and filled in so you could get over it with a jeep or ATV. There were at least 36 people who were trapped and they rebuilt enough of the roads so that you could get there though two separate back woods channels but not the main road connecting to rt 201 which still has two 30x60 foot craters in it.

(cont)
>>
>>806058
So not only were there 3 dozen people who the Wardens lied about checking up on or existing , we fixed the internal roads with expedient solutions without any upside help.

The fun part is, no one wants to fix the two huge 60x30 foot gouges that connect us to the highway,. From the folks i talked to today not only did most of them have some sort of construction equipment on hand or in one case a dozen kids with shovels, they don't mind the long back woods trips to civilization.

So i think i'm going to try to convince everyone not to donate new money to the road association, i think we are better cut off and hard to reach.

We fixed or are in the process of everything that matters to us and the state lied about checking up on us, i don't think we need them.
>>
>>806061
You may not need people but your 70 stroke neighbour does.

Also if they're public roads (and I would assume they would be near the highway) it begins to be a liability issue for the state.

Would love to visit Maine again
>>
Pretty cool op.
I bought 15 acres in rural georgia- not nearly as remote as you but still different than what I'm used to.
Stay safe I'll check back for updates, enjoyed the pics.
>>
>>806063
No public roads, none. The main road is owned by a logging company, the rest are owned by our road association or (between us and Holeb) the Passamaquoddy tribe. Note that the Indian land is NOT a Federally recognized tribal holding, it is just land that the tribe owns in a unincorporated township.

>You may not need people but your 70 stroke neighbor does.

This has been bothering be for some time. While everyone including me worries about him, if you need a SWAT team to get grandpa into an old folks home he probably doesn't belong there. However, the accessibility of medical evacuation is a problem. 4 months a year it is only accessible via snowmobile.

The road association has 1000 common acres, basically hunting lands held in common and the timber harvest rights are sold off in 40 acre chunks to pay for road maintenance Why not pick a few well located half acre pieces of that and plow a flat helicopter landing strip on them?

We have a well developed helicopter ambulance service (Life flight) as well as a border crossing in Jackman that has a fucking Huey twin rotor and a few other helicopters as well as a twin engine ambulance plane.

Legally we could incorporate them into the road association like small towns do old cemeteries, just pay someone $50 a year to mow them and make sure there are no trees growing there.
>>
I was just in Baxter on Tuesday and Wednesday trudging through the swamp in the research forest. I didn't think it rained that much.
>>
>>806061
>>806058
Dude get that shit built. When your old ass neighbor has a heart attack and needs to be rushed to the nearest hospital the ambulance needs a quick route to you, not going 20 miles on a dirt road through the middle of nowhere.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.