[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 40

File: out.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
out.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
Have a question that can't be answered by another thread? Have a question that doesn't deserve its own? Ask it here, and reduce the board clutter
>>
>>803618
Here's mine
What's the minimum size you would need for a pack that you'll be using for overnight trips?
>>
>>803619
Anything.
>>
File: shredscout.jpg (12KB, 197x295px) Image search: [Google]
shredscout.jpg
12KB, 197x295px
>>803619
a good snowboardingbackpack is great the straps hold your bag. they normally have two cooler pockets and tons of ways to organize and quick access spots. plus water resistant
>>
>>803633
> the straps hold your bag.

for the record i am referring to sleeping bag.
>>
File: photo (37).jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
photo (37).jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Is this a mole?
>>
>>803741
Yes
>>
>>803760
thanks

is it ok
>>
What's on your gear wishlist /out/?
>>
I want to disappear completely (and never be seen again)

how do i do it
>>
>>803767
no. if it was ok you wouldn't have gotten that close
>>
>>803781
you dont
>>
What are some basic things I should get for my first Bug out bag?
>>
>>804011
should i help it
>>
>>804022
Paracord, a Mora knife, and a rifle with ammo.
>>
File: Ed's_card_1.jpg (7KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Ed's_card_1.jpg
7KB, 300x200px
>>803781
Ask for a dust filter for a Hoover Max Extract® 60 Pressure Pro™
>>
>>803780
I'm pretty well outfitted. But to give you an idea, more Ti.

Some Ti chopsticks would weigh feathers!
>>
>>804128
Basic first aid supplies, small tarp, gloves, duct tape, basic tools, small blanket, water container, compass and local map would be good too.
>>
I got one. How to sharpen an axe easy?
a cheap way would be prefered
>>
File: LYE.jpg (8KB, 175x288px) Image search: [Google]
LYE.jpg
8KB, 175x288px
>>803781
bathtub full of lye
>>
>>803781
https://youtu.be/nZq_jeYsbTs
>>
File: resized.jpg (245KB, 1313x876px) Image search: [Google]
resized.jpg
245KB, 1313x876px
What is the most basic stuff i should take if i want to go /out/ for 1-2 weeks ?

Is there a good book about hoboism/vagabondism i should read ?

What jobs are /out/ related ?
>>
Looking to get some advice on bushcraft knives. What would you recommend for bushcraft carving and such? Nothing big, I've already planned to get larger knives/ hatchets etc for heavy work. This will be used only for carving and whittling. Price range of about $25-$65.
>>
>>804180
Use a flat bastard file to get the shape right and then use a standard sharpening stone in a circular motion until the edge is sharp.
>>
>>804163
;^)
>>
Where's a good place to spend a prolonged time innawoods? I was looking at spending close to a month hunting, studing flora and fauna, and a little bit of fishing.
>>
Anyone here done and have thoughts on the Upper Border Trail in Minnesota? Thinking about doing the 65mi this fall.
>>
In a typical south Florida environment the best way to make a floor for your shelter? What materials, technics and other general flooking knowledge is important to shelter building
>>
>>805175
Haven't gone on it, if you mean the superior hiking trail?

Looks really cool but I may save it for dem fall colors. Also I've only done short trips and gf is not very confident in her hiking abilities.

I've been to gooseberry falls on the north shore of Lake Superior and it's very nice country.

Where in MN are you? I'm in central mn, brainerd.
>>
>>804988
Look for a place with at least 2 trees
>>
>>804022
Bugs
>>
>>805346
St. Paul area here (Roseville).

UBT actually connects the Superior Hiking Trail (meeting up at the northern terminus), travels west along the bluffs and lakes for about 60 miles, and then connects with the Kekekabic Trail (which runs another 40 miles to Ely) at the western end of Gunflint Lake.

I haven't made it up any further north than Nemadji. Was planning to do a longer running trip late summer (probably just do something like go from one end of St. Croix State Park to the other each day) to make sure I am ready for 65mi straight through. I've done 30 in a weekend, but I was pretty beat afterwards. I'd want to be more confident before I did a long range trip in the BWCA, though I don't think you're ever more than 5 miles from a road on UBT, even figuring in having to go around water. Figured on hitting the UBT early fall, before we get any serious snow.

One issue I need to investigate is the shelter situation. You're only permitted to use designated campsites in the BWCA, and I don't know if they are going to be hammock friendly. Will probably have to switch to a tent for this trip.
>>
I've been having extended camping trips out in the middle of nowhere more often and I am wondering if I should continue to use snare wire to try and catch game, or should I maybe invest in some more robust traps. If I should get some actual traps to bring along, what would you suggest?
>>
>>805346
>>805488
>>805175

Not sure what I was drinking last night, but was referring to the Border Route Trail, not upper border trail.
>>
Can someone recommend a durable 20-30l pack with external straps for a sleeping pad and tent?
>>
I was planning to go on a road trip in the UK but idk what to do about accomodation.
There's only so much I can cycle in a day and I can't tell how far I can get. Because of this it's hard to book places in advance. Not to mention that most small towns don't have cheap hostels.
Is there any way around this? Would it be wise/legal to set up a tent and sleep there every night?
>>
>>807210
a road trip by bike*
>>
Hey guys I was just curious about something. I was looking at the ranger encounters thread and was wondering... Just how does a ranger give you a fine? What if you didn't bring your ID? How do they confirm your identity to fine you? Can't you just knock his ass out then just leave and say fuck the fine?
>>
Does anyone know anything about insects or arachnids? There are these bugs all in the Houston area which fly and stick to my windows at night, I think because they're attracted to light. They're reddish brown and sort of look like roaches, except they are slimmer, and fatter (more tube shaped) than a roach. All they do is stick to the window and shed their skin/exoskeleton, and in the morning all that's left is a bunch of these shells.

Does anyone know what the name of these bugs are, or at least have some information on them?
>>
What is the best way to inspire someone to finish a hike when they are already completely exhausted and done with all this bullshit? My approach of reminding them that their ride home would be locked behind a gate within the time limit created with our current pace hustled their ass. but what do i do when I don't have such leverage? and how do I do it without causing panic?
>>
>>808325
Feel free to disregard this post, I was looking for info on May Beetles, in case anyone is interested
>>
>>804093
yeah,

little guy is probably tired from all that digging and taking a nap. make a hole for him and put him inside. cover it up so the mean predators don't catch the napping bugger. He'll be on his way as soon as he wakes up.
>>
>>804366
Wouldn't an Opinel No.8 do?
>>
>>808335
ditch him.
Find a better partner for next time.
>>
>>808335

Few approaches I guess.

Maybe you can remind them that life has never been easy. 'I am willing to push on why aren't you?' (Though that might not be taken well)

However you should remind them that their legs probably wouldn't collapse if they kept walking. HENCE it's not that they can't go on, they are not willing to go on.

One can change their will.
>>
I'm heading out hiking on the fell with a total newbie in a couple of days, anything special I should think about? We'll be out for about a week and I have enough experience to at least keep us alive.
>>
>>803618
I want to know everything there is to know about the flaura, fauna, geology of Scotland. Where do I start?
>>
>>808551
Extremely important: Check his gear a couple of days before the hike. Check EVERYTHING.
Newbies make the dumbest mistakes.

Check his gear again on the morning of your departure, or the nigh before if you guys pack things then.
Special notice to shoes:
Make sure they are in good enough condition and won't fall apart along the way
Make sure they are not brand new and unused so that they will not end up killing his feet and making him drop.

Make sure he brings enough water
Make sure he is drinking enough.

Special notice food:
Newibies usually bring too much food, and of too heavy kinds, stuff like cans, fruits in large quantities etc.
Go over his food with him.

Lastly: make some extra effort for him to enjoy the hiking:
by bringing some luxury items you may not carry just for yourself (exactly which depends on you).
Could be anything from heavier tastier food (yeah I know what I said) , musical instrument, or some smoking/alcohol things...
Make a fire if possible, always makes the experience better.
>>
File: zqb-18418b_1z.jpg (55KB, 382x510px) Image search: [Google]
zqb-18418b_1z.jpg
55KB, 382x510px
>>808577
In case this was no clear, the first gear check has to happen a few days in advance so he'll have time to fix missing gear, get new shoes/break new shoes etc.

The one the night before/morning because newbies tend to load up their pack, decide it's too heavy and leave important stuff behind.

Last thing, during the hike itself, try not to baby him but treat him as equal as much as possible. Of course you're the final authority, but make him part of the process of decision making.
Or try to.

All of the advice above are things that happened to me when taking newbies out. Some of them caused suffering, some of them caused an early end of the hike (shoes for example, too much heavy food cause the guy to suffer too much and he decided to quit. Was carrying a couple of pic related)
>>
>>808570
Literally in Scotland. Move there and head out.
>>
>>808577
>>808591
That's some good advice, especially about the shoes. Thanks.
>>
hi /out/
need suggestions on winter snowboard/ski getaway places in NZ(or AUS) for beginner, n accessible by public transport, in Sept.
im not a local from those country,n dont have international driving license.
Also extremely beginner n only have 3days worth of snowboarding experience.
less crowded place is a plus,so i dont cause accidents
>>
File: Opinel.jpg (122KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Opinel.jpg
122KB, 1280x853px
>>808366
Opinel mentionned
Top knives
>>
hey
i want to do an overnight backpacking trip, which i've never done before. i'm not familiar with the area i want to go to, but it's an state trail. I don't really have any experience hiking, but i think im in good enough shape to make it. i already bought all of the gear i need. however, my family is worried for my safety and trying to get me to try something easier to start with. am i moving too fast, or should i just go for it?
>>
>>809875
I don't ski myself, but I suggested you research Mt Hutt Ski field. It'll probably cover all your bases.
>>
>>810427
Where are you that sleeping outside for one night might be dangerous? Detroit?
>>
>>810481
Which state?
Any snow?
Ready for rain?
Know what to expect in terms of wildlife and how to deal with them? bears, snakes, ticks whatever your state has?
If it's a desert state then it could be dangerous. New hikers or inexperienced in hot climate hikers die all the time from heat strokes and dehydration.
So if the case above is your case... consult with some experienced hiker on your planned route in terms of water and shade, hiking hours and water supply points.

In general I wouldn't say it's moving too fast, though slower is a possibility and there is no real reason to rush.
Unless your area has specific dangers.

You do know how to read a map right? and use a compass?

especially important if the trail is not well maintained, or crosses a part with gravel etc where markings are much harder to maintain.
>>
>>810481
>>810511
State is wisconsin. No snow. I have a poncho for rain. Do i need to waterproof my bag?
Ive read about bears. Apperently bear spray is somewhat illegal in my state. Is it even needed for black bears?
ill look into snakes and ticks
No desert.
I think i can read a map and use a compass, but i assume there's more to it than i think. Ill read up on it today
>>
>>804180
Lansky puck. Circular strokes, towards toe on one side and towards heel on the other side.
>>
>>804988
National forests, dispersed camping. Google that shit.
>>
>>803618
Are firewatch jobs like they are in the game Firewatch? Not to sound like a faggot but it just seems comfy to go out and live in a watch tower for a while.
>>
>>810761
Haha dont worry I've wondered the same thing too
>>
How do you people go /out/?

It might be a weird question but in my country there are harsh restrictions in terms of putting up a tent somewhere and making fires etc.
>>
>>810522
>I have a poncho for rain.
Sounds good.
>Do i need to waterproof my bag?
Backpack cover should do, the kind that comes with the pack. If you don't have one and suspect rain then I'd at least water proof the sleeping bag.

>I think i can read a map and use a compass, but i assume there's more to it than i think. Ill read up on it today
Yup, just learn as you go along, put the effort to identify where you are on the map even on easy trail where you don't need it and you'll have the skill ready on the trails when you do.

Good luck anon, seems fine to me.

>>810799
>there are harsh restrictions in terms of putting up a tent somewhere and making fires etc.
Check the specifics, usually it's for camping not just overnighters where you set in late in the eve and set out early in the morning, like you do while hiking.
Even if it's illegal, usually no one would actually care or even be around at these hours.

Then there are organized camp grounds. Sure they cost money but sometimes they are the only/best option.

I'd advise you to look for local hiking groups on facebook or forums. It's a question only a local would be able to answer adequately. While laws could be similar the enforcement in practice could vary a lot based on location.
>>
Hello faggots new to /out/ but I'm going camping for the first time with my wife on Monday so i figured I'd ask. What are some camping activities that are actually related to camping itself. Not things we can do anyway like ball-sports, cards, stories.

We're camping at Mt. Lemmon, AZ.
There's a lake so fishing's an easy one. What else is there? Sorry for the shit question but Im really clueless.
>>
>>811110
I'm more of a hiker than a camper...
But just making a fire and sitting around it /out/ there.
Day hikes.
lake = swimming.
You can build a raft and do some sailing.
Make a swing with rope branch and a tree.
sneak up at night and freak out other campers, be imaginative :P
>>
>>811156
>Build a raft
Guess I was kind of narrow with how I thought about it. I guess something sort of crazy sounding could actually do the trick.
Thanks
>>
Is hunting whitetail deer with a 12 gauge pump shotgun a viable option? I have never gone deer hunting, but gone with friends who have. It is legal where I live and it is relatively easy to find where the deer trails are. Of course because of the high winds we sometimes get here there are not very many places to setup a deer stand (a lot of small trees) so I was thinking of hiding behind a boulder or in reeds or something.
>>
>>803619
It depends on maybe where you are and how much you want to rough it. It could be anything from just yer boots and a knife (yes you are naked otherwise), to maybe a 30L pack at the most. You really don't need a huge pack unless you're going to some really extreme conditions that need a lot of special gear, but in that case, it's unlikely that you'll only be there for one night and hence that case being pretty much irrelevant.
>>
>>803781
sew your eyelids shut (If you can't see me, I can't see you)
>>
File: 71uLw3G9ffL._SL1500_.jpg (78KB, 550x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71uLw3G9ffL._SL1500_.jpg
78KB, 550x1500px
>>803618
I have been looking to buy my first sleeping bag and I have been considering buying a Kelty Cosmic 20 degree bag. Is this a good choice?

Also i found a Teton Sports Trailhead 20F bag for only $60. Does the lo price mean its Garbage? Is it at least comparable to the Kelty?
>>
>>811230
Yeah tons of people take deer with 12 or 20 gauge slugs
>>
>>811318
Do you know if it's easily doable without mounting a scope on it? Do you know if there are good tricks out there for concealing oneself on the ground without being one of those fags that buys a 600$ blind?
>>
>>811328
Depends on your shooting skill and the ranges your target is at. Go to the range and see at what range you can make make a humane shot. As far as concealment, you can settle into some bushes and be real fuckin quiet. Be downwind from where the deer are. Blinds are just for areas where there isn't adequate cover in the terrain already
>>
Thoughts on sleeping pads? I need one for a bike tour I'm going to take at the start of next year. I'm thinking about getting a self inflating one, but I'm concerned it won't be comfy enough because I have a lot of back pain sometimes. I bought a blow up one but ended up returning it because I didn't think it would be practical for my trip, and I couldn't blow it up from inside my tiny one man tent.
>>
>>811394
How about you test it out before the bike tour.
Best answer is personal experience, as your condition is unique to yourself. no one here can provide anything better
>>
>>803618
What knife do you uk lads carry?
>>
>>810761
plz
>>
File: 13898_kayes_902_b_alt_copy.jpg (62KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
13898_kayes_902_b_alt_copy.jpg
62KB, 450x450px
>http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/kayes-trousers-men-v2-black.html

Looking to buy these today on sale for my first proper /out/ pants, any opinions?
>>
File: image.jpg (215KB, 468x351px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
215KB, 468x351px
Why do I feel so horrible about smashing a porcupines head with an 8lb. maul after I got him in the wheel well of my truck chewing on my break lines. The little guy put up a hell of a fight before I had to end him with a smash to the brain.
>>
File: 1465442412260.jpg (12KB, 267x323px) Image search: [Google]
1465442412260.jpg
12KB, 267x323px
>>812479
because your so mentally weak that your primitive instinct had to take over and do the dirty work. you're only upset because you dont have absolute control over your life
>>
File: 1459285583982.jpg (22KB, 274x621px) Image search: [Google]
1459285583982.jpg
22KB, 274x621px
>>812341
personally i just wear good old fashion reliable shorts
im not saying you're a weak faggot because you need carbon fiber pants just to walk around, but my point is... what were we talking about again?
>>
File: 1457722082992.png (40KB, 745x198px) Image search: [Google]
1457722082992.png
40KB, 745x198px
>>812030
i dont carry a knife because i live in the greatest country to ever exist, but if i would, i would probably carry something like

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunctional-folding-cutting-outdoor-credit/dp/B01FF0HOP8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468213205&sr=8-2&keywords=credit+card+knife

so i can shank people on the go
if you know, thats what you guys are into over there at NoLongerRelevant-country
>>
>>812493
You are a faggot if you think stabbing people on the go is the reason people carry knives. Are you some kind of a man child who has never had to fillet a fish before?
>>
File: oi m8.jpg (404KB, 1632x916px) Image search: [Google]
oi m8.jpg
404KB, 1632x916px
>>812030
for daily carry i used my opinel no.5, pic related.

>>812493
pretty sure that knife would be classed as locking, making it illegal for carry unless you are using it for work or have a good excuse ect..
>>
The aluminum supports in a backpack are supposed to be rigid right?

You're not supposed to bend them?

Or are they supposed to be bent to match your back?

I'm asking because I think the frame on my back was bent slightly outwards, but I pushed against it quite hard and now the frame is bent inwards
>>
>>813258
Well it seemed like I used the same amount of force I would have used when filling the pack.
>>
I don't know if this deserves it's own thread or not.

What should I wear when going /out/? What do you wear?
>>
>>813335
Helmet, gloves, boots, knee/elbow protection, chest protector. Pretty basic stuff.
>>
>>813339

>>>/dbt/?
>>
hey I want to buy a compression sack for my sleeping bag; but I don't know what size to get
how do I figure it out without having to bring my sleeping bag to Dicks Sporting Goods or whatever
>>
>>813346
what kind of sleeping bag sempai? details details
>>
>>813349
Burton Dirtbag
it was on sale

Compressed: 8.5in x 8.5in [21.5cm x 21.5cm]
according to their site; should I use that info to decide?
>>
>>813351
you could try asking this question on the REI site- if you get into live chat with someone, they may have those two things on hand in the warehouse.

If I really needed to get a compression sack for that bag, I'd grab one that's a little bigger and then toss my camp clothes or whatever else in to fill up space.

That said, it's not a down bag and it's kinda heavily built- two thing which don't lend themselves to compressing really well. I like these kinds of bags because they wear hard and can afford to get a little wet here's what I've always done with them (even though I own a few compression sacks)- Toss them in the bottom of your pack loosely rolled or just stuffed, and then push everything else down ontop of it. You'll have a more compact load, the sleeping bag will still get compressed and you don't have to carry an extra storage sack.

Hope this helps
>>
>>813364
yeah it does; thanks dude
>>
>>803619

35 liters with comfortable room for extra food and water.

Anything less if you can pack things outside of the bag, but it's not recommended in general
>>
>>803781

Work via internet

Earn money and invest to earn even more money

Become a millionaire, make more millions

Do what thou will after that
>>
>>803781

Die alone
>>
>>804022

Forget about the bugout survival meme and stay away from YouTubers that make a life out of selling you shit.

Look into what to pack for day hikes and long expeditions etc....

Get closer to mountain clubs and mountaineering circles and listen to them, not to those beforementioned retards
>>
>>813258

Dont use backpacks with frame supports like in the 80's,

Buy a modern back with good waist support
>>
>>813335
depends on the environment, distance travveled and what is comfy for (you).

a hat, shirt, cargos and walking boots/shoes are the norm for a lot of people.
>>
File: 1456690512166.jpg (417KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1456690512166.jpg
417KB, 1200x800px
Where can I buy bundeswehr combat boots, and how do I figure out what size I am?

Alternatively, where can I find decent boots in that style? I like high rise boots in general, but I don't want to look like I'm about to carry out another columbine
>>
>>803618
Are any of you guys actually /out/ as in openly gay like me?
>>
>>814990
where do you come from and what shoe size you do have?

the BW shoesizes translates to EU sizes like the following:

250 (39)
255 (39,5)
260 (40)
265 (41)
275 (42,5 - 43)
280 (43)
290 (45

source: https://www.raeer.com/shopexd.asp?id=17713 this shop ships international, however the site is in german only. also keep in this is the old model. you can get the new model on varusteleka (or most military surplus sites).
>>
>>814990
Try asmc . de
Its a big german army online shop, where a lot of german soldiers buy their gear.
Search for "BW Kampfstiefel neuwertig" thats the original Bundeswehr combat boot.
>>
I've been wracking my brain trying to remember the site: I had a sleeping bag I wanted to buy up, on some site from some manufacturer that let you customize the bag, down to the fill, what temp is rated at, color, length and width.

I closed the page during some chrome update and can't find it again though. Fuck. I know it's a long shot but if this were to jog anyone's memory, it would definitely be here.

I remember looking through the options and I had a 20° bag with black interior, green exterior + black stripes or some bullshit, like 28oz, Idk man.
>>
What do I do with my used toilet paper innawoods? Surely I'm not expected to pack THAT out, if so, how?
>>
>>803618
growing up my parents always took me camping, but it was always state parks with designated spots and campers. i want to do what ive seen where you guys just walk out into some woods and set up a camp and have some privacy.
how do you know what land is allowed to camp on? im in battle ground, wa if that helps
>>
I don't want to use bear canisters when I go hiking, but I don't think I should leave my food out in the open, even if it's 100 yds downwind. Any alternatives?
>>
>>815877
Sounds like enlightened equipment
>>
>>816075
Are you required by law to use bear cans in your area? If not, don't bother. You can hang your food and use an ursack. Bear encounters mostly occur in developed campsites, not so much in dispersed camping.
>>
>>816046
You're supposed to pack it out. I use ziploc sandwich bags. It's not as gross as it sounds, my shits are mostly dry so it's easy to handle the tp. I use wet wipes though, way better than regular tp.

Tbh most people just bury their tp or let it blow around the trail and mar the scenery.
>>
>>816085
Looking at Ursack's site right now, this is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. It's not illegal, but I've had some pretty spoopy encounters with black bears, moose, and wolves, so it's more of a safety issue for me
>>
>>812341
Looks like /out/ fedora. Are you a SWAT team member or just looking to walk in the woods? You might frighten the grannies walking their dogs, which is impolite.

In warm weather, I wear some type of synthetic athletic shorts. That's all you need.
>>
File: fighting_game_victory_animation.gif (880KB, 287x400px) Image search: [Google]
fighting_game_victory_animation.gif
880KB, 287x400px
>>816077
Based anon, turns out I was looking at the enigma bag
>>
ok I do have one:

somewhat new to getting /out/, been lurking here for many months now. how does national forest camping work? I live in Illinois so we don't really have these so I'm not familiar with them, only camping I've done is on friends properties or campgrounds with hookups.

can I go to any national forest and camp anywhere? have a fire here in illinois? only one I know of here in IL is shawnee.... thanks!
>>
Red led lights, /out/, when and where to use them?

I'm tempted to take just the one head lamp and use the red function exclusively, with a small backup torch ready to go, as I value and prefer my night vision, but what are the opinions?
>>
>>804308
Where are you going exactly. Different places requires different equipment boi
>>
>>818949
Red lights don't ruin yours or anyone else's night vision as bad as white lights. So, say you're staring at the stars and need to get something, you should turn on the red light instead.

Also, if you're in a cave and want to look at a bat. Red lights are better as it doesn't disturb them as bad.
>>
File: netting needle.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
netting needle.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
this might just be me being retarded, but

do you actually need a netting needle to make a net? i cant figure out what the hell it does besides hold cordage? does it just speed up the time it takes to make the net? make it easier? what??
>>
>>811110
Wood carving, bird spotting, rock climbing, plant identifying, hunting.
>>
Asked this in a separate thread before seeing this one:

What's the best /out/ survival and outdoors skills/living guide that you know of. Preferably one you can get in hardcopy for relatively cheap new. Thanks.

The relevant links in the sticky are broken.
>>
>>810799
In my country its allowed to put up a shelter if you are fishing overnight, so I do that a lot
>>
>>805235
You might want to take a tarp and fold up the corners kind of like a shower stall floor or a tub. It helps keep out the creepy crawlies. In places with a lot of bugs I hear that hammocks are the way to go
>>
Why do people profit from natural environments? They can't just own a natural resources just because a piece of paper says they do. I'm entitled to all of that so it shouldn't have a pay wall.
>>
I need a job that will help facilitate /out/ life. It doesn't need to be an /out/ job in itself just something I can find employment in a rural area. (Thinking of moving to North Idaho for example). Would like to make a decent wage as well, thinking 80k. I got all the time in the world to go back to school (just moved back in with mom and dad).

Currently i'm an LPN so something medical makes sense. I can flip my LPN into an RN in 2 years but RNs esp in rural areas are only pulling down 65ish k a year. I'm already making that now.

I'm already signed up for remedial math/English since i'm so far behind the curve on basic education since it's been 12 years since high school.
>>
Hey friends. Doing a 79 km hiking trail in late august (La cloche silhouette in killarney if anyone has done it). we're averaging about 12 km/day (6 days 5 nights). Im beginning to put a meal plan together, and i'm just wondering what an average/good amount of food weight/day would be. Im hoping to keep my actual packed goods under 25 pounds but I may be a bit over that. any advice would be appreciated
>>
>>821001
You should be looking at calories/day.
weight depends on which types of food you bring, this is personal as people rarely actually go for min food weight possible.
For example, I like to bring some vegetables for the first few days and resupply whenever possible. Not weight efficient at all.
>>
I just moved to southeastern Texas and I'd like to go hiking but every time I step outside it's around 100 degrees and I think it might be a bad idea. It 's also extremely humid so I could dehydrate easily. How do /outists/ living in similar places function during the summer?
>>
Any recommendations on a decent bluetooth speaker I could take on water? Going camping and will be doing some rafting, would like some music on the river.
>>
>>821043
I have the Puma Soundchucks. I love them. Real durable and water resistant. I got mine for like $40 on sale online. I wouldn't pay the regular price, but I think there on sale a lot. Definitely worth checking out. Taken mine kayaking, golfing, hiking, etc.
>>
I'm trying to do more day hiking with my roommates. We're planning a trip up to Asheville NC and want to do a hike somewhere around there, probably around 10 miles or so. The longest I've done so far was about 6 miles, which was fine, but I only brought a regular 1/2 liter bottle of water, which I don't think was enough.

For the upcoming hike, I was thinking about getting a water bottle with a filter so I can refill on the trail and not have to lug 2L+ of water with me. Any suggestions? Or am I better off just carrying the water?
>>
I really want to start hiking but all of my friends are boring party animals and don't wanna come with me. Should I go by myself or what?
>>
Hey fellas. Taking a buddy out on a quick jaunt through Minister's Creek trail out in PA. Any particularly interesting sights to see there? I haven't been through there in ~15 years. I heard word there are some abandoned cabins and stuff off the trail, anyone care to confirm?
>>
>>808366
You want a number 9
>>
>>821159
yes. I did that and never looked back. best decision ever
>>
File: 1468385301955.jpg (98KB, 698x960px) Image search: [Google]
1468385301955.jpg
98KB, 698x960px
Im looking to upgrade my pack, and I decided to go for the Osprey Aether 60. I have a High Sierra 45 L and it has worked fine for all my overnights and less than 4 day /out/ings

1. The price difference between the Aether 60 and 70 is very small. Will I regret not getting the 70? I think 60 would be ideal but idk

2. whats with the sizing? they have SMALL MED and LARGE sizing. what is this in reference to?

3. can anyone recommend a not-shit sleeping bag? I bought a compresible mummy sleeping bag many years ago but the zipper is absolute trash and only works when it wants to. ill take any suggestions.

thanks
>>
>>821159
Yes,
My best trips started alone.
It's very difficult to find someone who matches you /out/ when it comes to pace/things you like to do/length of trips and time available.

It's great to go with my friends, but it requires so many compromises that the /out/ part ends up fitting less what I would consider a great trip. for me.
I enjoy it immensely, but it's a different kind of fun.

Being new to /out/ you'd want to go to places that have some travel on them, so you'll be meeting people with more of a similar mindset, if you hit it off, can save contacts etc, and maybe work something out in the future.
>>
>>821357
1. depends on what are you planning to do. If you plan to stick to the same activities that you did with the 45 L, then obviously 60 would do.
If you want to progress into longer trips/more demanding terrain/weather/add mountaineering/add kids/add gf or wife then you need to give more details.

2. depends on your height, you should go to a store and put them on and see which feels best on your back (add weight in the store, walk around with it on you for at least 15 mins).

3. Price range? temperatures?
>>
>>821039
Pls respond
>>
>>821039
1. It's simply not the season, and you'll have live with that. the colder months is the season in such areas, however:
1. fool moon night hikes.
2. for multiple days hikes: start early as soon as there is enough light to go, could be 4-5 am.
rest in the hot hours under shade then continue in the evening, either plan a spot under some trees/cliff (trees are not really that great for shade, if you can find a more solid shade would be much better, but they are good enough).
This means you'll be resting from about 9-10am to 4-6pm, depends on how hot the area is on that specific day, also depends on the trail and how much shade it gets.
That means you have 4-5h in the morning and 3-5 hours in the evening.
3. Water planning is crucial.
4. never go alone, especially if you're new.
5. options: plan routs that cross/follow rivers, try to plan the mid day stops at such locations, or lakes or waterholes etc.
>>
>>821468
bah I messed that up a bit. But you get the point.
>>
>>821027
right on thank you. ill worry less about weight and more about calories.
>>
>>821075
depends what you're spending an what your needs are. I have a sawyer squeeze water filter which was like 50 bucks and works well enough and is super lightweight. I would recommend that just for day hikes and stuff
>>
What's a good /out/ waterproof case for a phone? I've tried lifeproof and those are just awful. Any other suggestions?
>>
File: 20120719_171651.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20120719_171651.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Is a GoPro worth bringing on a hike ? Does it have any advantage over a phone ? (the quality from my Note 4 seems better than my hero 3+ silver). I use my gopro when I want to film without my hands (ski, aviation) but when hiking I am hands free.
Pic related was taken with a Galaxy S2
>>
>>803619
I think the best way to determine this is inventory everything you would like to bring.

For me a sleeping bag, hammock, tarp and extra clothes and food all fit comfortably in my 18L. And all the small stuff you just fill in the cracks.

I personally use a smaller bag so I can completely fill it and it just feels more stable while on my back.
>>
>>803780
A qt to go camping with.
>>
>>805491
Learn the koolyomka.
>>
>>808335
That's a tough one. You really can't change somebody who isn't willing to change themselves. At that moment they're focused on the little picture. Why did I do this? I can't keep going I'm too tired yada yada.

Something you can try is cognitive restructuring. Basically taking his negative thought and finding a positive outcome.

For instance.

Negative: I owe so much in taxes this year.

Positive: But I have a steady job that provides.

Negative: My clothes are getting tighter because I've gained weight.

Positive: But I have an abundance of food to keep me fed.

Also, something that had helped me is Buddhism. I was reading an army survival book and a huge factor of surviving is mental strength. Because we become exhausted and lose our lack to move forward and survive in certain situations it is good to focus on the positive. To focus on our surroundings and become totally aware instead of playing to our ego. Releasing our self pity (why me? I don't deserve this) and embracing a focused, organized and positive mentality we can over come more than we think.

But this may take more than a friend giving a few helpful words. Sometimes we need to be left to our own devices to realize our true potential.
>>
I'm about to finish season 2 of alone.
what are some other /out/ related shows and youtube channels I could use to fill the show hole?
>>
>>803618
I've a stupid question
I went trail walking today for the first time.
I felt pretty prepared, but I didn't anticipate the amount sweat I produced.
It was pretty hot and humid today so I should have seen it coming.
Anyway, anyone know what is best used to wipe the sweat off my face and neck?
>>
>>821712
Bandana / Buff / Shemagh
>>
>>821818
Thanks
Maybe I'll go with a bandana
>>
>>821833
I'd advise shemagh, it's a looser weave, but it's larger and more uses.
>>
Tried doing a garden this year, some herbs (Oregano, basil, lemongrass, sage) and vegetables (Cherry tomatoes, pole beans, corn, bell and banana peppers). Only one of my basil plants and one banana pepper made it. Basil bush is really small and seemed to have stopped growing, and the banana pepper plant gives me 3-5 every 2 weeks. Is it worth trying to pickle the banana, or should I just try again next year?
>>
>>821360
Ye im planning to,eventually do longer outings and maybe add gf there

For the sleeping bag, im willing to pay up to 100. Temp is prwtty warm here in California, but i might take it to Mt. Shasta next year. Also, ia there such a thing as a 2 person sleeping bag that also serves as a one person? Gf says she wants to,come along but i dont feel like dishing out extra money for a 2 person sleeping bag
>>
>>821508
why the fuck would you film yourself hiking?
>>
>>821957
I see. Maybe I'll get both.
I'd like something I could just wrap around my wrist and quickly wipe off sweat.
>>
Citizens of phoenix, stop going hiking. If you look at the temperature and it starts with a 1, grab a cold one and stay inside.

I guess that's more of a comment than a question...
>>
>>822285
I got a Kelty Discovery for me and mine. 60 someodd bucks on REI and you can zip a pair of them together to make one big bag.
>>
I'm looking for a new tent and sleeping bag for summer backpacking.

Im not climbing big mountains and its going to be pretty warm so i dont think i need a really hot bag.

How cheap can i go before things start to get too shitty / too heavy?
I just want to know in general how much i should be spending so i dont accidentally buy a shitter tent that falls apart on the first night.
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 728x410px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 728x410px
>>821503
You need a new phone
>>
>>822760
that was the best phone commercial I've ever seen.
>>
Anyone have a list for a first aid kit for day hiking?
I've picked up hiking as a hobby and want to keep prepared.
>>
going to Uni in BC canada soon, gonna be studying environmental sciences, what kinda /out/ related stuff would be good to get involved with during this time in my life? i wanna learn things that i can use to eventually help in doing a homestead of some sort.
>>
>>822948
Do you bring a 1st aid kit when you walk around town? How about when you trek from your cubicle to the bathroom or cafeteria?

Hiking = walking. If you really need a FAK to walk you are a sorry individual.
>>
>>823015
I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it
Also. idgaf about what you think about me. Thanks for the attempt to belittle me anyway though
Cheers
>>
>>823005
depends on the school. you should wait till you get there to sound out the clubs and internship opportunities. your school probably has /out/door gear you can rent.
>>
>>823015
This is the same kind of faggot that ends up on 'I almost died' TV shows.

"I was just too busy being a big bad nigger I never bothered to grab a FAK for my hiking bag. Then I fucked myself up on the trail. Go figure, right?"
>>
>>821357
>2. whats with the sizing? they have SMALL MED and LARGE sizing. what is this in reference to?

That's your torso length, anon. Have a friend measure you from your C7 vert to your lower back to get your torso size!
>>
>>803618
Nice to see one of my photos reposted.
>>
Might seem like a silly question but paranoid that some crazy person is going to come and murder me in my sleep. Is there anyway to get out of this frame of mind or am I just going to have to grit my teeth and bare it? Going away for 2 nights for my first time wild camping.
>>
So the army as me PCSing to Fort Bragg, NC. Im a californian and I'm really gonna miss being /out/ in the trees. Do any of you milfags or someone from NC know of anywhere nearby that I could go camping over a federal 4-day or chill for a weekend?
>>
>>823343
I'd suggest set up some WW2/Vietnam style can traps around your site. And keep a weapon nearby just in case. I'm sure you're an /out/ in theory kinda guy like me and already know this, but heads up that foxes like to emit a sound that is super similar to a woman screaming so if you hear something like that it's 99% of the time not the Blaire witch or a wandering soul.
>>
>>823451
Also if anyone's was or is at Ft.Bragg, how's the MWR out there?
>>
>>823343
Lol this is why I don't sleep in sleeping bags or hammocks. I substitute an extra set of warm clothes and/or a wool blanket for mobility and my knife is never far
>>
>>823249
Glad you're here then! I was wondering what the location is?
>>
>>823452
Oh yeh I'm well aware of the sound foxes make, first time I heard one out my window I nearly shit myself.
>>
If shit hit the fan and everyone had to go and live like we did centuries ago, how would you make some form of weapon for example a bow and arrow or a sword?
>>
>>823551
By going to /diy/ and then /k/ after diy sends you away too
>>
Does anyone here have a pack they would recommend for camping? I'm not talking about like backpacking, but just going in, hiking for a couple miles, then setting up camp. I was thinking about getting an ALICE pack, size medium. Any better recommendations? On another note, I'm also looking to get into backpacking. I'm not necessarily interested in ultra light, but would like to keep the weight down. What brands of gear are generally thought of as good, reliable, and not ultra expensive? Thanks in advance!
>>
>>823647
I dont know much about going /out/ with an ALICE, but Armyfag here and we were issued alice packs for ruckmarches and field exercises and the frame eventually wears through the bottom padding and jabs right into your fucking kidneys.
>>
>>823647
I got a frame bag from Field & Stream for like... 100 someodd, it's lasted me pretty long so far, 40L, good mule bag. Downsides? Heavy, kind of cumbersome, spacious inside but the zippers allowing you access to the inside are retard small.
>>
First time to properly camp overnight coming up soon, and I'm considering buying a hammock as they seem comfy and nice. Should I get one, or is it too fiddly for newbies and I should just settle for a small tent?
>>
>>823853
I'd definitely get a hammock. they're lighter and comfier, and probably cheaper too.
but
do your research. practice your set up. set it up before you go out a couple times, maybe even spend a night in it if you can. if you aren't an idiot, you'll be fine. but they are a lil more complicated than tents
>>
>>823647
you could just get a frame, like what hunters use to carry larger kills, and tie stuff to it. I almost did that. throw your shit in a dry bag and tie it to the frame. there was definitely a guy on here that did that, not sure who though. also I hear the waist belt on ALICE frames hits too high for most people. goes right across their stomach
>>
>>823249
op here. it's a great photo. almost made it my desktop background. chose a bonfire photo some anon posted on here a few months ago
>>
>>822948
>gauze/band-aids
>some form of disinfectant
distilled water also, a few ounces. good for cleaning bigger cuts, stings less than disinfectant
>some form of pain pill
>tweezers
>butterfly band aids
>large gauze pad
maybe a splint too. that'd probably be good for a day hike. other /out/ists, feel free to blast me if I'm wrong
>>
>>823005
anything outdoors, man. outside is great. hiking, backpacking, kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, whatever. all of it is awesome. try it all if you can. find the ones you like best and stick with those. idk about homesteading, maybe look into subsistence farming and cabin building?
>>
>>823105
If you cant formulate everything you need for a day hike injury from your shirt and your pocket knife you are a pussy.
But what do I now, I'm a faggot...
>>
>>822749
just go to rei, or your country's equivalent if it's not in your country. ask an employee what they think you need, and then buy the cheaper model since they seem to work on commission. don't buy the cheapest thing at rei, but don't buy the most expensive. look for a price somewhere in the middle on a product you like
>>
>>822254
try again next year. and maybe get a net. lots of spices can go inside, too. medium sized pots should hold most spice plants
>>
>>822286
>why film yourself hiking?
internet
why wouldn't you?
>>
>>821075
2L of water is only 4 pounds, bromigo. you should be able to carry that without too much issue. just get 2 1 liter bottles. with food and maybe a first aid kit, your pack shouldn't weigh more than 10 pounds. if you're still in uni, your school bag probably weighs more than that
>>
>>821159
join an outdoors club/group. it's more fun with people, but make time for the trips. don't squeeze a trip in, plan a trip out. it's a slightly different mindset that I've found makes going /out/ way more enjoyable
>>
>>823046
>have it and not need it than need it and not have it
I'm a firm believer in this and my wife has a love/hate relationship with it.
Having peanut butter and ritz in you vehicle and comfy pants/sweatshirt fit that decscription. FAK to go for a walk, nope, you're a pussy. I'm not belittling you. I'm calling a spade a spade...
>>
>>819531
>need?
no
makes it way easier though. I personally think it's worth it
>>
>>818159
google your local laws, but you can go do what you want. as long as no one sees you do it
>>
>>816089
ursack kinda seems like overkill. I just use a dry bag, and hang it kinda high. the bears don't smell it as well since it's a dry bag, they're pretty airtight, and the ones that do don't bother climbing the tree to get it. I've never had a problem
>>
>>816062
any national forest is probably ok. remember, it's only illegal if someone sees you
>>
>>816086
>>816046
yeah, I bury mine. probably not as well as I should, but it decomposes pretty quickly so I think it's ok
>>
>>824100
Here's my care face
>>
>>824080
Thanks anon
>>
Why you guys go to /out/ing that much?
>>
Where can one shower for free around Switzerland or Austria?
I plan on taking a long trip, and I'd like to shower once or twice.
>>
I want to start hiking, but I don't really have any equipment or ability to hike long distances. Although I'd love to get into that.

Right to the point, are there any really nice hiking areas in the GTA Ontario?
>>
>>823478
McKellar hut on the Greenstone/Caples track in Fjordland, NZ. Sometime in July, I think.
>>
>>825338
Thanks. Knew it was NZ somewhere.
I was there in May and was so keen for Greenstone/Caples but the Autumn weather arrived the same week I had been planning so had to cancel.
>>
Stupid question, but when should I trash old matches and get new ones?
6 months?
>>
>>825100
Not from there. But if you go to one of the larger parks in the area, it'd likely have hiking/nature trails.
Most of them are a single path that starts in on section of the park and leads to the other side.
It's a good intro to hiking. Kinda gives you the feel of it, but 0 risk of anything. Except maybe a mugger
>>
>>825434
Also, on the subject of fire starters, what's your opinion on those magnesium fire starters?
The kind you scrape off a
Then strike a spark on.
Legit handy or meme shit?
>>
>>825440
Legit handy as a backup to your bic lighter, provided you practice using them *before* you get stuck in a survival scenario.
It's the straight flint and steel people bring which is kind of silly.
>>
How do I stop being a pussy and get over the spookiness of being isolated in the woods? I love nature but not isolation. That leaves little opportunity to go /out/ though.
>>
What would you guys say is the best Mosquito/Bug repellent? Ive been using Off! Deep woods. And its alright. But i still have a few that break through the shield.
>>
>>825585
>straight flint and steel
Please tell me you are joking? If a bic gets wet it will not light.
Flint & steel work in every condition and are simple to use. Coupled with magnesium scrapings they make firestarting so easy even a brainless dolt such as yourself could use one effectively.
>>
>>825596
By simply doing it and realizing you survived and nothing big and bad came crawling out of the dark to eat you up and rape your lifeless body.

Just try it for a night, if you survive do it again...
>>
How do people do long distance hikes that take weeks/months to complete?

I just did a single 20 mile hike and my legs are fucked, I can't even move from my bed
>>
Theres some tents on sale on the Karrimor website 64 pounds isntead of 200, anyone who has experience with these tents?
>>
>>825926
>64 pounds
That is really heavy, you'd be limited to car camping.
>>
>>825928
No Anon, thats the cost...
>>
i need to buy a knife for canoe camping... are those bear grylls ones any good
>>
>>825625
But if you have no dry tinder, your flint is utterly useless. So what's the difference? OK take flint if you're camping in Arizona, but have fun trying it out in Scotland.
Besides, you can use the spark from a lighter to ignite dry tinder even when it's out of lighter fluid.

>>825635
Humans are excellent adapters. Start off the hike doing just what you can; the average AT thru-hiker can sustain between 20-30 miles in a day toward the end of the journey.
Also you gotta eat a metric fuckton of calories.
>>
>>825930
pls respond im going on my trip next week and i dont know what to buy
>>
>>825969
I dunno if they're good or not, but be aware that 30% of the cost is solely because it's got Bear's face on it, not because it's that high quality.
>>
>>825930
Mora it won't rust and will carry out anything you need from it during a canoe/boating/camping trip.
>>825947
>spark from a lighter
You do realize that a lighter is a wheel (steel) and a stick of flint, yes?
Dryer lint or bumwad if everything is wet.
If you are using mag shavings they will flare up and start wet tinder burning. Its up to you to keep it burning and build it up. Not difficult though.
>>
>>826061
they're gerber knives, idk if those are good or bad...

i just need something cause my trip is soon and i dont want to get somethign thats gonna snap in 10 mins
>>
File: 1468010686542.jpg (35KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1468010686542.jpg
35KB, 640x360px
Lets say i live 50-100 miles away from a town, how would i support myself financially? What jobs could i do from home or what could i do to cover food, utilities and yearly land tax etc.

If i lived in an area that desolite would i have to go full on hermit and buy solar panals/build an out house/collect rain water?

Pic semi related
>>
>>826131
Pls reply
>>
>>803780
I want merino wool t shirts and socks
>>
>>804366
Get a mora or an opinel basically
>>
>>826131
Well, you could basically do the thing where you already have enough money that the amount of money you get from investments is enough to live off of if your'e a richfag, but if that were the case, you wouldn't be asking this question.

You could work as a freelance something or other that works from home, such as a translator or a copywriter or something, but you would need to work hard to get established beforehand.

You could be essentially homeless, and live in squalor, but you're still essentially living for free.

You can be a farmer?

You could have a job in town and just have to deal with a grueling 1-2 hour commute every morning and evening.

Granted cost of living will probably be a lot lower if you're in the boonies, but also, boonies = shit internet, so that makes telecommuting difficult. There' kind of a reason that people who live far from civilization are either super rich or pretty not rich
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>825930
Not bad, just... gay.

I mean there are lots or affordable Gerbers. But for the same price I would end up with a CRKT or Kershaw. Or for a little bit more, an Esee or Ontario. Moras and Opinels are cheap and not complete trash.

My sister was just looking for a folder last weekend and she was about to buy a Getber but I convinced her otherwise.
>>
>>826279
>You could have a job in town and just have to deal with a grueling 1-2 hour commute every morning and evening.

Fuck this seems like the only option.

Im not a richfag and ive worked it out i need to save up for about 2 years spending almost zero out of my paycheck and i can get a small house on a few acres surrounded by desolation

I guess i just need property closer to the city, just need to reasearch a city with a low ass rate of expansion. I dont want to wake up in 40 years to suburbia
>>
>>825635
The first few days feel shit pretty much no matter what, unless you start with really short days.
I usually feel a lot better on day 3, but for a lot of people I hiked with it's day 4.

In a week you'll hardly notice the weight of the backpack unless on a steep incline (assuming no more than 25kg pack).

As for your personal experience, you are apparently not in shape to start long hikes with a 20 miles on the first day.
>>
first time camping in austria. which tent shoul i buy. i dont have too much money.
>>
>>825635
Start off slow, you'll get in shape, fast. Most important thing is to make sure your boots fit correctly and prevent blisters.
>>
>>803618
What's the difference between this thread and QTDDTOT (questions that don't deserve their own thread) thread?
>>817600
>>
>>826642
>difference
This thread was started like 3 weeks before the referenced thread.
>>
File: 1468701154589.jpg (34KB, 319x480px) Image search: [Google]
1468701154589.jpg
34KB, 319x480px
When people shoot innawoods/go innawoods, do they just go on random land? Also, can you hunt on state/fed parks? Favorite place to get away from everything?
>>
>>826647
Oh, don't know how i missed this thread but found the other.
Thanks
>>
what do you /out/ists recommend for a topquilt and underquilt? around $100 would be ok, but less is better
>>
>>803618
whats the best thing to do while spending time with your /out/bro at your comfy tent?
>>
Best place in florida for tent camping?
>>
>>823551
Romans got their shot pushed in by naked Germans wielding slings and wooden clubs.
Clubs are easy, find branch from a hardwood, carve a single edge to increase the impact and help over come and armour that may be wearing
>>
>>828539
>>
>>823551
spears long and short, plus an atl-atl I would suppose is your best bet. Easy to learn to flick a short spear, literally takes a few dozen goes to get it right, Long spear keeps people with short weapons away. add in a club or mace and you are away.
>>
Do you recommend going /out/ to deal with problems and if you're angry at life?

Know of any decent places where I can just be alone in South Wales or even all of Wales?
>>
I've never been /out/side before. I'm saving up until March and then I'm going to go full /out/ist and travel as much of the country (UK) as I can.

Can you tell me of any decent trails/parks I should hit?
>>
File: shawnee National Forest.jpg (18KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
shawnee National Forest.jpg
18KB, 320x240px
>>803618
I'm going to Shawnee National Forest this weekend to do some dispersed camping and (hopefully) swimming. Any suggestions on which regions of the park are better suited for hiking, dispersed camping, and swimming? Thanks in advance.
>>
File: 2016072995132747.jpg (233KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
2016072995132747.jpg
233KB, 1152x2048px
>>820036
>>820036
65k a year in Idaho is like 100k a year everywhere else in the US. I make 70 a year and live extremely comfortably, my wife doesn't even have to work and we have all kinds of neat shit.
>>
File: IMG_20160803_192608475_HDR.jpg (3MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160803_192608475_HDR.jpg
3MB, 5248x2952px
Does anyone know what this is? It's sitting on the front door and it's scaring the shit out of my kids.
>>
Want to grow wormwood in my garden, mainly for absinthe, but I hear it has other benefits. How do you prepare/harvest safely? I know the oil is bad due to thujone and you should ignore lower brown leaves for higher green ones, but I'm still uneasy about it. Anyone have experience with it?
Any good books for those looking into making their own medicines with herbs/plants? Ideally no bullshit where the medicine becomes nothing more than a placebo. I figure it's a good survival skill to learn in general. It's also just interesting.
>>
File: 1413758017803.jpg (46KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1413758017803.jpg
46KB, 500x375px
Is solar energy a good power option if you wish to avoid paying for electricity?
What options exist? Anyone familiar with solar energy?
>>
>>829015
From experience, I'd say it's hard as hell to switch 100% to solar. You'd have to set up the solar to power a battery array, and then convert from DC to AC to power whatever you have.

I just had a house built on my land and tried to get full solar power to avoid having to pay an electric co-op, but the solar sales rep sadly told me it would be relatively impossible to do, and would cost an absurd amount of money to get a full battery setup going.

If it's for a cabin and all you'll be doing is running a radio, a couple lightbulbs, and maybe clicking on your gas stove, then maybe it's possible, but expect to pay close to 10k USD to set it all up.
>>
>>828855
I know nothing about Wales, but /out/ is great if you're angry. Can't do/ say anything regretful out of anger when your by yourself
>>
>>828898
A bug
>>
>>828855
http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/region.asp?region_id=9
>>
>>829015
From experience, I'd say it's easy as hell to switch 100% to solar. You'd have to set up the solar to power a battery array, and then convert from DC to AC to power whatever you have.

I just had a house built on my land and hardly tried to get full solar power to avoid having to pay an electric co-op; the solar sales rep happily told me it would be totally possible to do, and would cost a reasonable amount of money to get a full battery setup going.

If it's for a cabin and all you'll be doing is running a radio, a couple lightbulbs, and maybe clicking on your gas stove, then definitely it's possible, but expect to pay close to 10k Japanese Yen to set it all up.
>>
don't know if this is even the right website but

one of my legs literally cannot hike at all, its useless and holds me back
it does about 5 miles of walking then starts to gradually build up pain. If I sit down for a long time, then that leg gets completely painful

the other leg can do like 40 miles no problem
what do? whats wrong?
>>
>>829087
Just to be clear, you're asking 4chan to diagnose a leg injury?
>>
>>829130
hell this is better than yahoo answers
>>
>>829087
See a doctor
>>
>>829087
>leg

Just the whole leg?
>>
>>829130
>>829212
its been like this for years
I absolutely love hiking and it prevents me from doing it

>>829216
can't describe it, but no not the entire leg
>>
>>829222
I'm going to take a guess and say it's IT band syndrome.
>>
File: yZI4B8P.jpg (122KB, 500x432px) Image search: [Google]
yZI4B8P.jpg
122KB, 500x432px
How do you do when you feel the urge to take a shit in the wilderness?
It just blew my mind when I was sitting on the toilet right now...

Do you bring toilet paper?
And for the love of God. How does mountain climbers take a shit when out on a 14 day climb?
>>
>>829424
Dig a hole.
Shit down Cliffside.
Bring toilet paper/wipes or use left hand like a hadji
>>
Does anyone have any tips for catching salmon ?
>>
>>829424
after day 3 if you're pooping you are doing it wrong. You burn so much fuel climbing that you may shit once more after your body stabilizes.
>>
where can i get a canoe for mega cheap? like maybe one in terrible condition? i'd like to pay $200 tops
>>
File: 1442244426210.jpg (9KB, 170x213px) Image search: [Google]
1442244426210.jpg
9KB, 170x213px
>>808352
>this
>>
>>829573
Waste of $200 unless you're able to fix it up yourself.
You might buy a used kayak for that on Craigslist or your local equivalent.
>>
File: IMG_20160111_160632.jpg (51KB, 1228x921px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160111_160632.jpg
51KB, 1228x921px
How feasible is it for some chucklefuck like me with no camping experience to waddle their way down to London (and possibly back) from the north of England?

Probably not going to get it done until next year now, unless I'm fast, but I'm about to quit my job (got a bit of money saved up so I'm not going to starve before I get another) and want to do something out of my comfort zone to help me get out of a bit of a rut I'm in. Never left 6 mile radius from my home town.

Figured some possible cheeky illegal camping (in the summer so I wouldn't need a load of gear), maybe with an overnight in a pub with rooms here and there, doing resupplies in towns as I go.

Any idea on how long such an escapade could take, and any checklists available so I know what to take? It's about 280 miles, my fitness is pretty good, keep in mind this is England with a pretty insane population density so it's not like I'm going to get ravaged by bears 700 miles from the nearest person, but it's still a bit of a trek. Never been camping before (well, proper camping. I've slept in the back garden in a tent with a BBQ for breakfast a couple of times as a kid). Been hammering camping vids on youtube in the last few months, and it's motivated me to try and do something.

Pic unrelated. I might make a thread but didn't want to push someone else's off the board so I'll try here first.
>>
>>829839
ive got access to kayaks, not enough space inside for shit, also not as much fun
>>
>>829893
It would take about two weeks if you did 20 miles a day. It is possible but you'd have to enjoy some suck with weather and all that, but it is doable.

Never pass up the opportunity to refill your water even if it's just to top it off. Most places won't mind doing that for you.
Just don't get beheaded for breaking sharia law
>>
How feasible is going /out/ in places like Tucson or Phoenix (read: Sonoran Desert)?

I'm concerned about things like dry and flammable brush, little to no water source and temperatures in excess of 100°F regularly.
>>
>>804022
Made a bug out bag a whole ago, here are the contents
>Water filter straw
>Flint
>550 cord
>Beef jerky
>KABAR
>SOG seal pup
>Gerber BG knife
>Baklava
>Neck pillow
If you follow that you'll be golden.
>>
File: 1439774258887.jpg (144KB, 610x872px) Image search: [Google]
1439774258887.jpg
144KB, 610x872px
>>830052
>baklava
>>
>>830052
>Flint
can you really start a fire with just flint?
why no hammock? soap/alcohol?
>>
>>830058
Meant Balaklava
>>830059
Make soap from animal fat. Might as well ween the soap/deodorant dependency from the get go. Thanks
>>
>>829893
Wild camping in England is one of my favorite activities. You'll have a blast until you get tired of it all, which I suspect will happen sooner than you think if you haven't done anything like this before.
You know about the Pennine Way, right? I have no idea whether or not that's even the best route, but an actual trail would carry you along much faster.
Pick up a field guide on edible plants in Britain; half of what you find growing in the typical hedge can be used as soups, teas, or for snacking.
>>
File: 671200225_2277eab655_b.jpg (265KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
671200225_2277eab655_b.jpg
265KB, 1024x683px
>>810532
>U.S. Forest Service Dispersed Camping Regulations and Recommendations
>firearms are prohibited
WTF
>>
>>830189
No need for people to use it as an excuse to go hunting and Fuck up the ecosystem
>>
>>830180
>Wild camping in New England is one of my favorite activities
ftfy
>>
>>830041
As long as you have a lot of water and the proper clothing, it shouldn't be an issue. Limit your movement during the heat of the day and focus on hiking in the morning and evening hours when it gets relatively cool. Bring a large container of water and some means of purification with you on the off chance you find a source.

Dry and flammable brush is a great thing. Easy to start fires. The desert gets cold at night. Biggest mistake people make by far is assuming the night desert is as hot as the day desert.

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Arizona/Tucson/

There are only 5 months out of the year where the night temperatures in Tuscon are above 60 degrees. Prepare accordingly.
>>
What's the opinion on the MSR pocket rocket and the ripoffs? Looking at some on Amazon, they're like a third to a quarter of the price of the MSR one, and look almost identical.
>>
>>830391
they're really good. i met a guy on the PCT who was happy with that $10 chinese stove you can get on amazon.
>>
>>830339
What do you do if you come across a bear or some other animal that can't be avoided?
>>
>>830660
Bear spray. It's more effective at not getting you killed by wild animals than gun is
>>
>>816077
>>816162
Haha, that was awesome. What were the odds?
>>
>>819531
I have a buddy that's a commercial fisherman, I stopped in to chat with him the other day, while we were chatting he was using one of those to mend his cast nets.

He was using fishing line though, or something that looked like fishing line. Which is very similar to the material the nets themselves were made out of.
>>
>>819796
I don't know which one is best, but I know there are a bunch in the ar/k/
>>
>>820015
These are very good questions which you should continue to ask. I agree with you. Unfortunately many in the world see it differently. I hope you younger anons can make the world a better place, because just this moment it happens to be overrun with greedy fucks.
>>
I'm paranoid to go hiking before the first freeze due to snek. How do I get over this?
>>
>>803618
I have 2 weeks of holidays coming up - so actually 16 days from Saturday to Sunday.

Should I lose 4 days driving to Northern Rocky Mountains Provincial Park and backcountry for 12 days, or should I lose 2 days driving to Willmore Wilderness Park and backcountry for 14 days?

I have never been to NRMPP, and I have only been to WWP once for a 3 day trip.
>>
>>830698
Don't Fuck with the sneks.
They will try to avoid you, just give them the same courtesy
>>
>>821468
> si essay
> take siesta
>>
>>825596
By realizing that fear is the mind killer, grass hoppa!

But seriously, it's all in your head. Learning to master your mind is a powerful and extremely valuable skill.
>>
File: bear_shylls.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
bear_shylls.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>825930
> buying anything with that faggots name on it
That's supposed to be a selling point?
Straight in the trash.jpg
>>
>>828898
definitely brown recluse
>>
>>807210
You can't just camp anywhere in the uk, unless you go to Scotland where they have the right to roam laws, in most of the uk you can't just go where you like because you'll either end up with some bitch calling the police or a farmer filling your arse with a load of Buck shot. If you look up the Peak District of Lake District, there are tonnes of small villages all over the place with bed and breakfasts everywhere. These places aren't really considered innawoods but would be a nice start to the uk scene so to speak where nothing much can go wrong
>>
>>830674
All animals?
It's like repellant, you spray it on yourself?
Or it's like pepper spray, you spray it at the bear/animal?
>>
>>808340
Aka cockchafer
>>
File: tmp_9078-1465698881578467899732.jpg (33KB, 432x495px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_9078-1465698881578467899732.jpg
33KB, 432x495px
>>830732
It's mace, but fall free to spray it on yourself if you'd like. It would probably keep the bus off you
>>
How do I give water to a lost doggo if I don't have a bowl?
I was think digging a hole in the ground and try to line it with leaves, then pour the water in it.
>>
>>830702

Northern Rocky Mountains lad. You'very never been there before, it might shit all over the other place but you won't know unless you go!
>>
>>829893
That sounds lovely but why would you want to end up in London on purpose?

Away up and do the west Highland way or something like that!
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 384x384px
Why /out/ hate hipsters?

P.S: They call me a hipster
>>
>>830823
They are annoying and self-righteous and look like assholes.
>>
>>803618
Is a Kukri Knife all you really need for hunting and wood processing? The design seems like it would be...
>>
>>830834
The shape of the blade doesn't let blood drip on the handle so you don't loose your grip of the knife
When it comes to wood processing i have no idea
>>
>>830829
But mostly of them are /out/
I can bet mostly of /out/ guys are hipsters
>>
Is gardening small farming /out/?
>>
>>830853
and*
>>
>>830851
Most of them are /in/ and those who do /out/ only do so with maximum home comfort and pretend that it's roughing it.
Like this.
Https://vimeo.com/55420992

>>830853
Yes
>>
File: 1448835542877s.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1448835542877s.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>831044
> you don't need a compass to find North, you can just feel it
> some shit about "what we went through" as they ride fucking dirt bikes to camp
> they say men nowadays lack masculinity (as they pan over a giant smorgasbord of gourmet fruits and cheeses that were brought up there in a truck)

I couldn't watch any more after that
>>
Not sure if this counts as /out/

What would I need to live in an underground bunker for at least a year?
>>
>>832445
do plan on ever exiting it in that year?
>>
>>830791
just make him drink out of your hand while you're slowly pouring into it
>>
>>832445
1 year supply of food and 1 year supply of pickle jars.
>>
>>832682
Probably, if the air filtration fails or something like that
>>
>>832685
Well no shit, but I mean more complicated things like water filters and air filtration
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.