[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stove Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 21

File: 3119161259_7c3914cb7d.jpg (140KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
3119161259_7c3914cb7d.jpg
140KB, 500x375px
Alcohole, Esib, Butane or wood stoves?
Which is best?
What do you use and why?
>>
esbit* sorry
>>
I have a pocket rocket that uses isobutane. Works very well to heat water to boiling. You can cook other things on it as well but it tends to make a hot spot in the bottom of the pot. It's certainly not as even as cooking on a wood fire, but it's incredibly convenient. My biggest gripe with it is having to rely on those fuel cans. They're not quite as easy to find as those green propane cans.

But I have one of those "wood gas" stoves than can use wood or alcohol as a backup.
>>
Esbit

Don't know if best, but that's what I use due to what the shop had at the time. I stuck with it.

It works, and it's easy.

They sell the tablets (even if different brands; they work) at grocery stores.
>>
File: THE BEST.jpg (13KB, 300x221px) Image search: [Google]
THE BEST.jpg
13KB, 300x221px
Who else /whisperlite international/ here?
>>
I use Esbit personally.

>why
Because it's very light and compact, to the point where I can fit it in my cook set along with a scourer, matches, a bunch of spices/seasonings, tea, kindling and spare fuel tablets and still have some space left. Also you can fit 12 tablets of 14g fuel inside of it so it saves even more space.

It can be used as a pretty good wood stove, too. Not perfect and far from a real wood stove but it gets the job done in case you odn't have any fuel or just don't want to use it for whatever reason.

I'm not sure if it's best but it's definetly worth its low price and weight.
>>
>>803511
I have to get tablets from Amazon, despite having plenty of super markets, and even a camping fucking supply store at my doorstep, they have never sold hex/esbit cubes.
>>
Optimus Nova masterrace reporting in
>>
File: 350px-Optimusg1.jpg (44KB, 350x447px) Image search: [Google]
350px-Optimusg1.jpg
44KB, 350x447px
>>803657
Fuck off I use gas and space magic
>>
>>803450
I use wood and rocket stoves.
>>
usually use an esbit
>pros
both fuel and stove is light as hell
store fuel tabs and a mini lighter inside it
a little bigger than a deck of cards
not a lot of waste to pack out after using it (main reason i don't use butane/propane)
flame almost invisible and smokeless
fuel stays lit in wind
>cons
can be difficult to balance a pot on it
after a few uses it gets kinda dirty

soda can alcohol stoves i don't use as much. i made one out of an arizona can for dat wider diameter though
>pros
super cheap
super light
pretty tough
>cons
have to carry relatively heavy alcohol
wind really fucks with it
always worried i'l start a forest fire if i knock it over while it's lit
>>
>>803518
I got one. Used it twice. Then made an alcohol stove. No more need of it.
>>
Esbit is pretty nice. You don't have to carry heavy liquid fuel, and it fits inside my pot.
>>
>>803462
Except iso stoves work like shit when it's cold. They do reheat faster though, and are fucking loud.
>>
>>803688
If wind fucked with your alcohol stove why the fuck didn't you make a windscreen? Wow fuck you're dumb.

Alcohol stoves dumped on it's side are pretty easy to put out. They don't create a massive flare like a gas spill. The flame is hard to see but easy to detect and put out.
>>
>>803450
I use an alcohol stove. Specifically a fancee feast stove. It's quiet, packs small and my pot rests on top. Fuel is plentiful and fucking cheap and a little goes a long way. It also works well in the cold and at elevation unlike iso stoves.
>>
>>803518
I've had one of these for 20 years. Use it as a backup stove. Actually I've used it more as my primary stove than any other stove I've owned. The thing is fucking rock solid and I've never had any issues with it. Whisperlites are god tier stoves.
>>
>>804016
wind fucks with it as compared to the esbit stove. no need to be abrasive
>>
>>804033
Only if you don't use a wind screen you fucktoy.
>>
>>804040
So it sucks unless you have an additional part that cost effort, weight and space.

In other words, it either sucks or sucks. Got it.
>>
>>804015
Well, to be fair it never gets cold where I live. But yes, the fucker is noisy.
>>
>>804201
>windscreen
>weight
>space

it's literally a strip of virtually weightless aluminum and folds up into nothings, are you one of those ultralight fags?
>>
>>804215
Sounds like wind would blow it away or tear it up. I assume by "wind" you mean light breeze you can barely feel on your peach fuzz.
>>
File: 1465396513385.jpg (76KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1465396513385.jpg
76KB, 600x600px
where we're going anon

we don't need stoves
>>
Can someone telll me the diff in heat output for an alcohol vs propane vs butane stove?

I have a propane one which works mint but fuck if it isnt the heaviest bulkiest thing i bring /out/. I only use it because i can heat a can of chili in about 2 minutes. Im willing to wait longer for my food but if it takes 20 minutes to heat one can of food ill use something else

Hoping alcohol stoves can achieve this efficiently. Also have considered esbit but i made a similar thread awhile back and people said they were shit
>>
>>804201
A fancee feast stove and windscreen cost literally less than a dollar at most. And if you already feed your cat that shit then you likely have everything you need at home to make it. So let's say for arguments sake it costs less than ten cents. Cost has nothing to do with it. Effort is fucking minimal. Weight and space is extremely negligible.
>>
>>804257

It fucking goes around your stove and your pot. So unless the fucking wind blows your pot away it's not going anywhere. How the fuck does wind tear up aluminum foil? Does it have magic fingers where you live? Does the wind finger you?
>>
>>804371
>assuming i have a cat
that's a hard pass for me dawg
>>
>>804257
you're a fucking idiot m80
>>
>>804342
Alcohol has mediocre energy density compared to propane/butane but, since it doesn't require metallic can to hold pressurized fuel, the combined stove+alcohol+bottle can still be a tad bit lighter than a stove+isobutane/butane/propane mix+metallic can and a lot lighter than a stove+pure propane+metallic can (pure propane requires extra heavy cans). An alcohol stove won't need 20 minutes to cook. It's only about two to three times slower unless it's windy or the weather is really cold.
>>
I've made a stove out of an old champignons can. it had no plastic in it, so I figured it would work. I've just punched 4 rows of holes in it with an awl. 2 rows on top and 2 rows in the middle. the flame is pretty stable even without a windshield, but it surely helps to keep the heat on spot. I think it's because of the distance between the rows. the flame burns inside first, when you put the pot on top it goes through the top holes. with this setting I need about an ounce of denaturated alcohol for bringing 8 ounces of water to a boil.
>>
>>804372
>>804440
There's so little wind that foil can stay in place, you don't need a wind guard, kid.
>>
>>804469
You made a comment about how wind fucks with it and they bring up the solution to the wind NOT fucking up your shit and you defend not having a solution to one of your largest cons? You're a special snowflake kind of stupid.
>>
>>804501
LOL, we should forgive him. He's likely a window licker.
>>
>>804469
That's some dank goalpost moving there buddy.
>>
I have 3 stoves. Primus Omnifuel (basically whisperlite international) MSR Pocket Rocket, and the trangia alcohol burner.

I've been using the trangia most lately, because of the weight savings. It's much, much slower than either of the other stoves.

In the winter, I default to the omnifuel because it burns HOT and is not affected by subzero temps.

I pretty much never use the pocket rocket anymore, mainly because of the waste and weight of the canisters compared to the trangia.

So for me, summer=trangia winter=omnifuel
>>
>>804501
>>804595
No, I'm a passerby that says aluminum foil as a window guard is a retarded idea. Get a real wind guard, kids.
>>
>>804606
>aluminum foil

I stated that they were made of aluminum, never did I say "aluminum foil." You seem to be stuck on this idea when you have no clue about the tough sturdy hardware you're discussing.
>>
>>804501
that was me making the esbit vs alc stove comparison, not >>804469
2. the comparison was between two stoves and their fuel. of course each one would benefit from some sort of wind guard. i was evaluating each stove on its own
3. going 300% mad about the fact i didn't mention a wind screen shows you think using one isn't obvious to everyone
>>
>>804608
Aluminum foil is a trash product and you should feel ashamed for using it and destroying the environment.
>>
>>804636
It can be reused dozens of times after being recycled from something else.
>>
File: durr.jpg (18KB, 432x261px) Image search: [Google]
durr.jpg
18KB, 432x261px
>>804636
>Aluminum foil
>foil
>FOIL

we just went over this you fucking nigger
>>
>>804606
Aluminium window guard? What in the fuck
>>
MSR Pocket rocket
I like the simplicity and weight. I've never had trouble finding canisters
>>
>>804611
>going 300% mad about the fact i didn't mention a wind screen shows you think using one isn't obvious to everyone
Can't read your mind. But if I'm going to make an assumption on anything you've said, I'll do it here. You statement is only a backtrack to stop taking heat. Move on. You argued and lost.
>>
>>805041
This.
>>
>>805041
>stop taking heat
>in a stove thread

I giggled
>>
File: 121.jpg (201KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
121.jpg
201KB, 1920x1080px
Alcohol stoves are a pain in the ass. It's almost impossible to tell how much alcohol you need to cook so they means you always put in too much. It's very wasteful and it leaks everywhere and I don't even think they burn that hot because it takes me forever to cook simple things like Ramen. Just get something like an MSR. They're time tested and proven.
>>
>>805213
but... it's ok to pour in a little bit more after the flame went out and reignite it. and if you spill a lot you can switch to another bottle. just saying.
>>
>>805216

Yeah that's why I say it's a pain in the ass. I'm not saying they can't worked with, what I'm saying is why bother with that garbage when you can just use superior and cheaper tools?
>>
>>805213
One ounce of spirits will boil 2 cups in 8 minutes. If you spill your fuel it's because you're a ham fisted american
>>
>>805213
Yeah get the MSR, has lots of neat parts that wear out and can fail any time and makes that great roar to overcome the dreaded nature sounds of the outdoors.
>>
>>805271
>One ounce of spirits will boil 2 cups in 8 minutes.

Or in other words, about 2 dollars worth of whiskey.
>>
>>805224
While I certainly understand the appeal of an alcohol stove as far as compactness and simplicity, I'd rather have control lover my flame, and find them to be a lot less efficient than an MSR. I love my whisper-lite international since you can control the flow of fuel a lot more easily.
It's especially useful when you're cooking an individual meal because you can reduce the flame to half power, compact the windscreen to seal in airspace, and boil a cup of water in less than a minute. A half bottle of white gas lasts about 3 weeks this way. Can't get that with an alcohol stove.

>>805272
>has lots of neat parts that wear out and can fail
only if you're grossly negligent, they come with they're easy as fuck to repair
>makes that great roar to overcome the dreaded nature sounds of the outdoors
no need to waste fuel and put it at full power unless you're boiling a large mass of water or something like that
>>
>>803450
I like my coleman propane. It's inefficient, but it always works, and has a little mechanical flint and steel starter that's never failed. With a gas stove, I value safety and reliability over everything else.
>>
>>804270
LOL why is that NRB so high up? He can't respirate through his mouth, and there are massive gas leaks from his Arcus deformity.
>>
>>805274
Methanol bud. Although you could probably use whisky in a pinch. Here a 3 gallon jug of meths cost about 7 bucks CAD.
>>
>>805309
Can't go wrong with a Coleman when car camping.
>>
>>805301
You keeping saying less efficient, what do you mean? White gas has lots more energy per oz than an alcohol stove, but alcohol stoves burn a by product that per oz is much cheaper. And seriously nigger? You've never seen a simmer ring?
>>
>>805416
From my experience, alcohol stoves take longer to boil water and consume many more ounces of fuel in doing so than a standard whisperlite.

cost =/= efficiency, you and I are measuring two different things
>>
>>805423
I've never said they were more efficient speed wise, dumb fuck.
>>
>>805425
see >>805416
>White gas has lots more energy per oz than an alcohol stove
You answered your own question.

More energy/oz = greater efficiency. I'm guessing you disagree with me on the definition of "efficiency", is that it?
>>
>>805430
More than one cat in the hat here, chump
>>
>>805469
someone seemed confused on my outlook on efficiency so i explained what I was getting at, why so butthurt?
>>
>>805477
Why so edgy bro? Huff too much gas?
>>
>>803450
Trangia mini alcohol burner combined with an Esbit (lol) triangle potstand, because it is a very compact and light combination for short trips like weekenders and such. Also, indestructible.

For longer hikes I bring a Kovea Spider remote canister stove, because superior in every way (more stable, works in cold, 360° windshield etc.)
>>
>>803450
I was planning on buying an MSR Pocket Rocket but my dad just surprised me with an Esbit pocket stove. Not the esbit brand, but it's the same design. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
>>
File: 1455519997804.jpg (198KB, 1280x824px) Image search: [Google]
1455519997804.jpg
198KB, 1280x824px
>>803450

Snow Peak Lite Max stove coupled with Jetboil 100g fuel cannister and 700ml Snow Peak mug/pot.

Works well and everything nests inside the mug/pot.
>>
>>805930
literally the same setup. Hiked the AT with it and never had a problem. Great thing is how it all stows into the mug.
>>
File: 1467373736191.gif (144KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1467373736191.gif
144KB, 126x126px
>>803450
>What do you use and why?

Just realized I didn't answer you as to why regarding my post: >>805930

It works great, is simple and convenient to set up, nests easily when I need to stow it, is easy to clean (never need to really, if you only boil water), and is extremely light (at least by my standards, others may think differently depending on their style).

I couple this with my freezer bag cooking style and the thing is a breeze.
>>
Anybody know if it is worth investing in a jetboil? They're expensive, but I hear they are really good in all conditions.
>>
>>807765
If you're going to need to heat water fast and conserve on fuel it's a good idea, alternatively, depending on how much time you have on your hands, you could make your own for cheaper.
>>
do these reddit tier diy alcohol stoves work? will I be able to boil water in my aluminum pot?
>>
>>807873
They seem to, but I wouldn't trust it.
>>
>>807873
They work, they're kind of wonky to make work if you've never done it before. Once you get it figured out they work really well. The ones you see most of the time have the issue that the flames go out at an angle and don't hit the bottom of the cooking surface very well(which means slower cooking times and eating more fuel). There are other designs that address the issue but I'd make a few practice models of the regular ones before moving on to more advanced designs. They're a pretty fun little project and cost basically nothing if you already have 70-91% alcohol, beer and a swiss army knife.
>>
File: image.png (294KB, 649x681px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
294KB, 649x681px
Proud Solo Stove user here because, why limit yourself to just liquid fuel. Also, this is the same stove they used on the moon.
The moon
>>
>>807916
>>807927

spent the last 2 hours researching and found this. this looks like the holy grail of diy stove designs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbHHQrh9m58
>>
File: 1393584388884.jpg (230KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
1393584388884.jpg
230KB, 612x792px
I just use a DIY wood gas can stove.

This guy has a fantastic DIY vid for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjKpZrIXKBg

Only difference on mine is that I leave the bottom on the outside can to prevent hot embers getting out.
>>
Why is my Bushbox pocket stove so damn hard to light?

What's the proper way to light one of these things?
>>
>>803450
MicroRocket

>literally the best
>>
>>807873
There has been extensive tests done on both alcohol stove design and efficiency, lots of people use them to great satisfaction. For the price, why not?
>>
>>808246
No
>>
>>807987
While it does look neat, I can see one problem.

Due to the fact that all flames are inside, you have to use something to hold pot above the stove.

Now, given that I dont usually boil more than 2 cups of water at the time, being able to just put the pot directly on the stove is nice.
>>
I bought this thing on a whim the other day while getting my backpacking gear together for the first time
Costs like 10 dollars, can run off of isobutane-propane or straight propane
Extremely light, seems to do a good job
>>
>>803450
I use rocket stoves. They have the best long term results for me. They never run out of fuel, only require a tiny amount of fuel, never need any thing to chop or split wood, can be lit for small short fires or for long sessions & cool off quickly, and they can be just about any size though the short ones are not efficient and do smoke (tall ones don't smoke when warmed up).
>>
>>808455
Ive been thinking of making one of those but fuck are they bulky. Do the folding ones compare at all in terms of performance?
>>
>>804018
this
>>
File: A short guide to get out 1.0.png (3MB, 1348x5196px) Image search: [Google]
A short guide to get out 1.0.png
3MB, 1348x5196px
>>803450
I am going to repost that old thing.
>>
File: SAM_1157.jpg (449KB, 932x1972px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_1157.jpg
449KB, 932x1972px
Rate my first and only can stove, works with olive/vegetable oil
>>
File: IMAG2634.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2634.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>803518
I've used mine for 15 years
Always used MSR white gas and never had a problem, even the pump still works fine surprisingly. Been through mud, snow, sand, and rain and still runs like a champ.
>>
>>810873
0.1/10
basically a candle
>>
>>811003
is something wrong with it?
>>
>>811003
Looks like a lamp to me.
>>
>>811225
You made a candle, Einstein. It's cool but it's not a stove.
>>
>>811576
>>811003
He made a lamp, not a candle. Candles don't use oil.
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 300x300px
>>811579
He made an oil candle. Pic related.
>>
File: 20160405100059_76257.jpg (159KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
20160405100059_76257.jpg
159KB, 700x700px
I just received this from gearbest. It is "Rover Camel" brand, but there are other brands with apparently the same exact design which cost a few dollars more, such as "Ohohu".

The steel smells dirty and impure. I wonder if it will give off toxic fumes. I wonder if it will even hold up with use. I wonder if the other brands use higher quality steel.

I'm not even sure if I want to use it.
>>
>>812980
>The steel smells dirty
stop being a little bitch and burn it off outside.
>>
>>813008
I did try it out. It worked pretty well but when I was cleaning it afterward the smell made me feel nauseous. The steel is just very bad. It smells just like another super cheap steel thingy I have which warped when I boiled water in it over a gas stove. Now I'm also reminded of a super cheap impure silicone item that off-gassed like hell. Blegh.

I'll hold onto it just for emergency use. Maybe the SilverFire scout stove would have been a better purchase.
>>
I told my grandparents that I have been using a home made alcohol stove for camping, then my dear grandpa went out to the shack and came back with pic related.

It's bretty comfy desu lads. I don't have a scale here, but I recon it's a good bit heavier than the red bull can stove plus half litre alcohol I carry plus the tinfoil. Also, it's an older model, with the hole-puncher stove part, not the removable screw on thing.

Is the comfiness worth the weight and bulk?
>>
File: 20160713_134314_HDR.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20160713_134314_HDR.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
>>813863
>>
>>813866
>Bleuet
That's some old schooled stove you have here. It will survive you and your sons.

Yes, it is heavier than the modern ones but robustness have a price. Speaking of price, since the gas bottles don't have a valve they are like $2 each.
>>
>>813866
i have one of these but i can't find gas for it anywhere

i live in canada any advice?
>>
>>815159
Get a better stove.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-19-15-56-59.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-19-15-56-59.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
Does anybody have experience with stoves from Aliexpress like pic related?
>>
>>812980

Give it a good wipe over with isopropol alcohol to remove any oil or lube left on from the factory.
>>
>>813866

God bless your Grandpa. Good old school stuff there.
>>
File: chiinastove.jpg (62KB, 640x485px) Image search: [Google]
chiinastove.jpg
62KB, 640x485px
>>818057
The $10 Chinese ones on Amazon that come in the orange case work perfectly.
>>
>>808210
Does it seem to decrease performance much? I'm seriously considering making one
>>
>>803450
>Alcohole

Did anybody else read that like guacamole?
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.