[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why don't you live in a small mountain town like pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 19

File: FranklinSquare2.jpg (170KB, 1234x371px) Image search: [Google]
FranklinSquare2.jpg
170KB, 1234x371px
why don't you live in a small mountain town like pic related
>>
They don't have engineering jobs
>>
>>803199
looking at the pic of their downtown i think they're in dire need of some though
>>
They tend to be fuck expensive tourist traps. With exuberant land prices and infested with commiefornians
>>
Either >>803249, or they're full of Christian Conservative hicks and there's nothing to do after 5pm except drink. If I have to put up with hicks I want to be on an ocean.

Small towns are fun for a short stay, but it's time to leave once you've seen all the regular bands that play at the local bar.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (105KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
105KB, 1280x720px
Not tiny but still pretty comfy
>>
Because I live in my Gram's duplex for free and dont have to pay rent, while the neighbors have to kek.

Give me a few more months of saving up money and I'll be leaving for farther up north or maybe south near the mountains in north Georgia, since I also have family in the ATL and in the south east boarder of GA/FL.
>>
The lack of accessibility drives me nuts, if you want to buy some new clothes that don't make you look like shit it's a 40+ minute drive and you are still only getting the basics. Everyone around (depending on how rural) can be really fucking retarded i.e. dropped out of high school halfway through and now drinks to much, smokes weed, and lives in filthy rundown shack that should be condemned. If you get too rural you will find the most disgusting people who have children for welfare benefits and are extremely overweight. The smaller you get the more backwards men are, they will do hard drugs, sit at the local bar and get drunk, or just be violent. The women are on their own tier of shit, they will wear ill-fitting clothes (dress 10-30 years out of date depending on age), act like morons because they are uneducated, are and extremely lazy all around. The worst part is that there is no anonymity, you can't just move to a rural town and blend in if ou are any other race expect white it's already too late, if you dress normally or are in shape it's too late, the only way to blend in is to be exactly like them or never leave your house. Also the police get selective when you get rural, if you they don't like you and something happens to you or your house you are fucked. Some towns only have one officer btw. The icing on the cake is that no one gives a shit about laws or human decency so they will let their property go to shit and let it become grown over and let their house become a biohazard but as soon you step onto their property they will threaten to shoot you or just straight up shoot you. A lot of people just want to use their guns and that is literally the only law they care about. This is my experience in small town rural PA, mountain towns are probably better in Europe but in the USA they are a cess pool avoid them at all costs just stay in the woods and go to town if you have to. (sorry for any typos or bad grammar)
>>
>>803732
North GA mountains are fine, man.
>PA
Found your problem.
>>
File: pic related.png (2MB, 836x1004px) Image search: [Google]
pic related.png
2MB, 836x1004px
>>803184
>>
File: SchoolhouseWinter2011.jpg (20KB, 667x500px) Image search: [Google]
SchoolhouseWinter2011.jpg
20KB, 667x500px
>>803184
but I do, anon
>>
>>803184
I enjoy being with 10 minutes drive of 3 different McDonald's. But if I ever make it old enough to retire without dying, I think I will move to the middle of nowhere and try to get a couple acres.
>>
>>803184
>Appalachians
>"""""mountain"""""

This meme needs to end
>>
>>803732
Maybe PA is super fucked up, but this is a pretty big exaggeration.
>>
>>803885
Nope, I have been to more rural areas of PA than I want to admit and although not everyone is like this at least some will be. It is really bad.
>>
>>803714

Outstanding, tell me about it

And are you from there or you moved from where
>>
File: 20160623_200844.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160623_200844.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Western Montana is pretty alright senpai
>>
File: 1465658890787.png (328KB, 451x451px) Image search: [Google]
1465658890787.png
328KB, 451x451px
>>803879

>his mountains aren't 400+ million years old
>being this new
>>
Love rocky Mountain ski towns.
Each one has a different flavor
>>
>>803941
That's like saying you prefer 80 year old tits to 22 year old tits
Whatever turns your crank man
>>
Grew up in a small town with 300 people in it. The nearest mall was a two hours drive.

Now I'm in the city finishing my degree. I want to move to a mountain town, but It doesn't look there's any jobs in those towns.
>>
File: Leadville 007.jpg (388KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
Leadville 007.jpg
388KB, 800x532px
>>803184
I do.
>>
>>803184

Sometimes I think about moving back to a small mountain town, the problem is, there's only so much drunk driving and dipping tobacco while staring at a bonfire I really need to do. The Drunk driving is especially an issue when you need to drive to get anywhere.

I was living outside Leavenworth, Washington, which pretty much exists only for /out/ and I'm not sure I really did more living there than living in Seattle.

Right now, I'm living in Tucson, and there's still a ton of great /out/ to be had with very little planning or preparation, but I don't feel as isolated as I did. The only complaint I have is that the skiing is a little inconsistent, but honestly even that isn't all that bad considering its in the middle of the Sonoran Desert.
>>
>>803199
This
If I ever want to raise a family properly I'm going to need money and a woman, and thems pretty slim pickens in the mountains
>>
>>803879
It all comes down to "topographic prominence".

Abi Gamin 711 ft (217 m)
Mount Mitchell topographic prominence: 6,089 ft (1,856 m)
Mount Elbert topographic prominence: 9,093 ft (2772 m)
Mount Everest topographic prominence: 29,028 ft (8,848 m)
Rheasilvia central peak: 14 mi (22 km)
>>
File: Mt-Ascension-Trail-Map.jpg (398KB, 1200x939px) Image search: [Google]
Mt-Ascension-Trail-Map.jpg
398KB, 1200x939px
>>803933
Helena, Montana. Born and raised here, left for several years for school and then work, moved back a few years ago.

Hard to beat the trail system out my back door
>>
>>803273
Places are as boring as the people in them. If you're bored, YOU are boring.
>>
>>803184
Hopefully you have a skill or trade where you can open your own business instead of relying on someone to give you a job.
>>
>>803891
Western PA resident here, will confirm. Went to friend of friend's house, smoked weed with trailer trash family and the whole time dogs barking and wife yelling at her son to do chores. Dog vomit stains on the carpet, eating in front of the TV. That experience was on the better side of what's to offer in Pennsyltucky. Some areas are just trailers for miles. What >>803732 described was accurate
>>
File: IMG_7933_Nicolas_Teichrob-large.jpg (2MB, 2400x1504px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7933_Nicolas_Teichrob-large.jpg
2MB, 2400x1504px
>>803943
Fernie a GOAT
>>
>>804380
What? Where?
>>
File: dowtown-slideshow_0.jpg (144KB, 1600x560px) Image search: [Google]
dowtown-slideshow_0.jpg
144KB, 1600x560px
>>805203
Southeastern BC
>>
>>805203
But don't tell anyone else about it
>>
>>803998
There are so many damn jobs where you can do 90% of your work from home if you have an internet connection. You need to get on something like that.
>>
>>803732
Man im sorry you had to put up with that shit you are 100% right and it is like this in most small towns around the country no matter the state. I have seen some fucking shit traveling man.
>>
Because I live in a big one?

>SLC FTW
>Fuck mormons

There are good restaurants and retail 15 mins from my house, and I'm 30 mins from the slopes and 40 from full on mountain /out/.
>>
>>805256
That place blows man, I'm sorry. I've tried to like it but I can't.
>>
File: yak.jpg (412KB, 1668x1108px) Image search: [Google]
yak.jpg
412KB, 1668x1108px
Hey out. Am i missing the point of mountian towns? I visited one but it was basically a flat area between a bunch of triangles they called mountains. I was expecting something more...

I will whole hardily agree vidya has probably ruined what i thought was mountains with their cave systems and multiple tiered mountains and random forests and lakes on the summit.
>>
File: Girls.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>805256
>>
File: blida.jpg (101KB, 621x358px) Image search: [Google]
blida.jpg
101KB, 621x358px
>>803184
I do live in a mountain town, not small though
>>
File: Reno-Nevada-Skyline-2.jpg (516KB, 1000x593px) Image search: [Google]
Reno-Nevada-Skyline-2.jpg
516KB, 1000x593px
Also not a small town but I love it here
>>
>>803943
I lived in one last winter and hated it for the most part. I worked with some huge douchebags and retards and then had to cater to a bunch of rich assholes on top of that.
>>
>>805388
whole-heartedly brah
>>
>>805256

Don't let the boitches get ya down fellow Ute. Well, I didn't go to the U but yeah you get it...

Uintahs are fucking rad. If you've never been, you should really check out Hell's Canyon out near Mountain Home. That canyon is legit one of the best camping areas in Utah, really close to Moon Lake as well. Best part? No rec passes or reserved camping. It's a bit hard to access and would only recommend SUV / Trucks for the job. The road up the canyon is a one way but there is often two-way traffic, and the drop off on the side is real fuckin steep, hence "Hell's Canyon".
>>
>>803184
But I do...
>>
I feel Europe is the only one with true mountain towns. Everywhere else just has foot-of-the-mountain towns.
>>
>>805706
What about the countries in Asia that are all mountain? Like napal amd tibbet. Also countries in sound America like chile.
>>
>>805724
those tend to second or third world shitholes, not the kind of places you want to live
>>
>>805731
What about Japan?
>>
>>805804
japan is certainly first world, but there's more to it than people realise

it's such an entirely different place, culture, society etc. than anything westerners are used to, as well as being incredibly (relative to westerners) xenophobic, racist and sexist, not even memeing here

again, it's a nice holiday spot, but living there is something else entirely

that being said there are some phenomenally beautiful places in japan
>>
>>805706
Weird, that town appears to be at the foot of those mountains as well.
Fucking Eurofags
>>
File: Azteca.jpg (498KB, 1822x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Azteca.jpg
498KB, 1822x1080px
Chamonix is in the middle of the alps. I admit its in the valley between two opposing ridges, but its a ski resort what do you expect. I'd like to see any mountain town build at the top or somehow strung around the middle.
>>
File: IMG_0024.jpg (597KB, 1404x936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0024.jpg
597KB, 1404x936px
>small mountain town like pic related
not small enough m8
>pic related
thats where I wanna be
>>
but i do
it's very pretty here but there's not really much to do, saving up money to get to a larger city
>>
File: 64764613.jpg (1MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
64764613.jpg
1MB, 1200x1200px
>>803184
cuz no interwebs
>>
>>803249
This. I don't know what the fuck people do for a living in those tiny ass towns because they're all 2 hours away from anything bigger and there's no internet so no real telecommuting.
>>
>>803199
...or IT jobs.
>>
>>803184
Because I have neither skills nor a job but I grew up in a mountain town of ~800 and my current long-term goal is to move to somewhere in the Idaho panhandle or northwest Montana.
>>
>>803732
>Appalachia

C'mon now.
>>
>corrupt politicians and cops
>crab-mentality
>can't hook up with anyone without half the town knowing about it
>in fact, the townspeople know more about you than you do yourself
>no anonymity
>have to walk around on eggshells to not offend the handful of shitty people in the upper parts of the town's social hierarchy, or your social life is pretty much over
>often extremely religious or overly conservative

fuck small towns. they are all toxic hellholes.
>>
Is Idyllwild small enough?
>>
>>804010
Nice.

I enjoyed glennwood springs and carbondale while I was there. Not sure how they compare to leadville but it's damn sure better than some of the high plains areas. Up towards silverthorne I kept wondering what people did for a living because it's was just huge open tracts with houses with no livestock, no crops, no businesses that I could see. The people are either photosynthetic or they sell wind on eBay
>>
>>805230
That looks like the comfiest town in the world
>>
>>803872
where?
>>
>>807846
Pretty much is. It's a 5 hour drive from me but I try to make a ski trip there every winter
>>
>>803184
Why does this look like scale model? About small towns: no privacy, as everyone knows everyone else's business. I've heard it can be hell to be accepted into the small town, and also there may be religious pressure in many to join their church.
>>
File: IMG_20160526_160827525_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160526_160827525_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
I do. Alberta what uppp
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.