[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living in the wild

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (85KB, 730x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 730x250px
Anyone ever gone and lived off the wilderness for any amount of time? Any stories or advice? I am currently 19 living in nz and would like to at some point in the near future go spend a couple months alone in the wild. I definitely have more knowledge about this sorta thing than the average person my age (went through an SAS phase) but I assume I'd need to do extensive study/practice to be prepared.
>>
>>802983
bring lots of emergency blankets to hide from IR scans
>>
>>802990
Is this actually a thing? I can't imagine they'll be scanning the middle of nowhere nz unless a hiker goes missing or something
>>
>>802990
opie is a fugitive
>>
>>802983
How much are you planning on "surviving"? Will you be going in with very little supplies?
>>
>>803000
Ill take either a tent or just a tarp, tools, map, backup rashions etc. planning on going during summer for easier temps. And then get everything else (food, building supplies, etc) from nature.
>>
File: chris.jpg (36KB, 383x336px) Image search: [Google]
chris.jpg
36KB, 383x336px
>>803004
Sounds like a solid plan anon. Make sure you keep a detailed journal.
>>
Would it be advisable to drive yourself to location or would leaving a car in the weather for that long not be too great for it?
>>
>>803004
>then get everything else (food
Eh, you're just gonna kill all the little native fauna creatures that are already at low numbers due to environmental damage. They are rare island species that have been evolving in isolation for thousands and millions of years. It's not Canada where there a bunch of moose and other common large meatbags running around.
>>
Do a three week trip then a couple months. You will learn that it is very hard.
>>
>>803148
There's plenty of deer, boar, rabbit, possum, fish, eel, etc. I'm not going to kill anything endangered or protected dont worry
>>
>>802983
Cmon guys give him some solid advice. Hes gonna learn the hard way the difficulty in this endeavor no matter how much you equip him but at least make sure he's prepared for that. I've personally not had the pleasure/pain of experiencing this yet but surely someone here can tell him what he needs to hear.
>>
An SAS phase? What does that even mean....
>>
> I definitely have more knowledge about this sorta thing than the average person my age

That doesn't really matter since most people your age have no knowledge on this.
>>
>>803297
anon will die. simple as.

assuming he's not a trained hunter (which he's not, otherwise he wouldn't be asking dumb questions on this board) he will have to forage for food. Foraging is hard enough if you don't know what you're doing and end up eating poison berries. Same goes for mushrooms. I often go into the woods foraging for mushrooms (especially Boletus types) and even in the rainy season they're hard to find, whether because it's a bad year for mushrooms or they've been eaten by boars, etc.

bringing rations could work but if you go into the middle of nowhere, chances are your rations will attract wild animals, such as bears and boars or coyotes (I dunno where you live, so...). same applies with rubbish: you will have to burn it every night to avoid wild animals scavenging your camp and then maybe scavenging through your guts.

also, fire: do you know how to light a fire if the wood is wet? don't kid yourself about "oh it's gonna be a dry summer". if that's the case, chances are you'll be caught up in a wildfire and you will not get out of there easily.

tl;dr just watch Into The Wild and call it a day.
people like you want to live off the land and thrive in the wilderness because they either seek attention or have some romantic ideas about living as one with nature. you need to respect the wilderness or else you will get killed. if you really really REALLY want to live in the wilderness, go to your local forest ranger and ask him to show you around and teach you things relevant to your area. don't ask random strangers on the internet for advice.

unless, of course, op is a fugitive, in which case: tough shit son.
>>
>>803022
No, everyone who has a car but not garage buys a new car every two months. I don't see why they just get a garage, seems cheaper.
>>
>>802983
Anon I'm in west Virginia and I did it for 13 months with a pop up trailer I bought for 100 bucks of of CL I just drove as far as I could till I didn't see a road or power lines anymore and just set it up nice comphy feel while beING /out/ and not dealing with anyone. Just bring you a gun with plenty of ammo I brought 4 guns all had 1000 rds of ammo a piece
>>
Op here, at work so this will be brief. The main point I've taken in is to lower the duration significantly. As for the reason to put it simply I just want to know what it's like to be completely alone, no tech, no people, just myself and nature. Not in a hippy one with nature way but in a this is somewhat how people lived for most of human history sorta way. The car question was stupid, I meant more just leaving a car unattended for a length of time in the middle of nowhere. As for my experience I'm just as aware as all of you I'm nowhere near ready, more just curious about other people who might have done something similar and if its possible in the first place. Thanks to erryone who's contributed so far though
>>
>>803693
Thanks for the tip anon, do you have a 4wd by chance? I feel like my little hatchback might have some trouble pulling a trailer off road for long enough to get in deep enough. As for guns I intend to take a bow and just catch small prey (rabbit, common birds, fish, etc) with that and trapping/fishing. For anyone still concerned/amused I have dropped my time span to 1-2 weeks, I agree it would be stupid to commit upfront to months.
>>
>>802983
Where in NZ are you? Im in christchurch and go /out/ alot around Canterbury and North Otago. Also 19
>>
>>803148
What are you on about? Unless OP is climbing to the mouth of Lake Te Anua or on one of the Island reserves the worst he can kill is wood pigeons
>>
>>803376
This is NZ, the worst we have is feral pigs
>>
>>803803
Also in chch anon, quake city woo
>>
>>803801
No I don't I have just a small.little truck
And a bow is nice if you don't lose the arrows or break them
>>
Sorry op, sc/out/s,

Skipping over mist of the BS replies, I've lived off-the-grid with no 'lectric, running water or (nowa days unimaginable) phn.

Short answer: do it. Get as far out as you can manage. I went three solid years.

> largely why I shit post on /out/ pleb jerkoffs

Just keep pushing yourself farther out!

It will change your life are make you the man you become.

Or just play vidya gams...
>>
File: NEW ZEALAND STRONK.jpg (80KB, 600x482px) Image search: [Google]
NEW ZEALAND STRONK.jpg
80KB, 600x482px
>>803290
>deer, boar, rabbit, possum
Stick to these and other human-introduced species anon. New Zealand because of its unique geological history has zero native mammals other than a few bat species and some marine mammals. Still though, make sure to follow LNT guidelines as much as possible.

https://lnt.org/about
>>
>>803814
Have you been /out/ much around here?
>>
File: David Grenoullie; Pepestar.png (98KB, 500x505px) Image search: [Google]
David Grenoullie; Pepestar.png
98KB, 500x505px
>ywn be able to live in new zealand

kill me
>>
>>804003
Just the ol' outdoor ed trips in highschool and going camping/hiking/whatever with mates. I'm by no means a hardened veteran of the wild. You know much about what game/edible wildlife is most common in cantabury? Although I'm thinking ill probably drive in more Arthur's pass national park thing way, not that I've looked into where's best yet
>>
>>804042
Damn, didn't even manage to spell Canterbury right, not off to a good start
>>
>>804028
Why not anon? I was born here but I've known a few foreigners over the years and it doesn't seem too hard to move over
>>
>>804046
>doesn't seem too hard to move over
what's your paypal anon? i would like to tip you for the endless kecks
>>
>>804042
Ah yep Ive done a bit, around Mackenzie country there is Rabbits and Hare for miles, I can usually set up camp, walk a km down river then shoot a decent hare for dinner. In the hills especially in North Canterbury theres plenty of Pigs, Goats and Deer but to pull up those you need a decent pig dog (#1 on my priority list). Further south at Waimate and even pushing Geraldine (my home town) theres solid Wallaby numbers. In the foot hills of the Southern Alps there are Chamois and further in Himalayan Tahr (both are quitr challenging game). Anywhere around the place is possums and grey pigeon, they can have worms but a thourgh check of the gut will sort that. Theres bloody heaps to keep you busy with. Oh and theres duck during the season
>>
There are fuck all edible plants in the nz bush unless you want to eat fern rhizomes and Nikau hearts like a Maori and end up with little stumps of worn down teeth at 40
>>
>>804079
Theres blackberry but I digress, there is bugger all.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.