[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ books general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 26

File: image.jpg (311KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
311KB, 640x360px
What are your favorite /out/ related books or books you enjoy reading outside?
>>
File: image.png (143KB, 498x698px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
143KB, 498x698px
I'll start, my favorite out related book and author is HD Thoreau and his Walden
What enjoy reading while /out/ are Saigyo's Poems of a Mountain Home, I'd recommend it to all people rven if you think you don't enjoy poetry
>>
For me its either Tolkien's The Hobbit, or The Silmarillion
>>
I like Environmental literature, atm I'm reading The Skeptical Environmentalists which is about the exaggeration and true representation of statistical data in the environmental field - as BOTH sides are liable to over exaggerate.

Prior to that I read The world according to Pimm: A scientist audits the earth, which is all about quantifying our resources and challenging the outdated mentality of 'limitless bounty' (ie natural resources, typified by the amazon or the image of the open oceans in the 19th c.)

I like anything to do with nature.

Bill Brysons a walk through the woods was a good modern shout,

Gary Snyders writings are awesome too, especially if you like poetry - but his long essays are great.

I also like reading 'challenging' books outdoors as there are less distractions, recently read Zen Mind, Beginners Mind, by S Suzuki, being inna is a good setting for this kind of book
>>
>>802734
That's great I also love Tolkien's fairy tales and adventures of tom bombadil, I never read Silmarillion so maybe I'll pick it up

>>802735
Aren't these book too scientific for casual reading? The topic sure is pretty interesting tho
I'll check Brysons and Snyders thanks for the rec
>Zen Mind, Beginners Mind, by S Suzuki
Nice pick anon, I really enjoyed this one when I started to become interested in zen
>>
I just read quotes from 'Into The Wild' until I'm pumped up enough to go hiking in the woods behind my house
>>
>>802715
There are already 2 threads up about /out/ books
>>797791
>>800904
And one about movies and books
>>796891

Is catalog really that hard to use?
>>
>>802800
Yeah sorry about that, I just thought they are more specific about books similar to those in op but yeah I take your point.
>>
>>802715

That looks incredibly uncomfortable.
>>
>>802715
Pinker "The Blank Slate"
Aldo Leopold "Sand County Almanac"
Anything by Sigurd Olson
Anything by Muir

Poetry of Jeffrey Skeate, and Ted Kooser

Mein Kampf
>>
>>803146
+1 to sand county almanac. It's all prose, but it's beautiful. Took me forever to read though because I'd always read a few chapters in my hammock and take a nap in the sunshine. Some of my fondest reading memories from that book because of it though
>>
>>803146
>Sand County Almanac
Does anyone know about similar thing but European? I read this book is about some us country and iťs nature, is it very specific or is it worth a read even from europe?
>>
>>803432
It's worth a read even from Europe, it is a reflection from a year near his vacation cabin in North Central Wisconsin.

However, it is more about mans place in the natural world than anything else.

Good read no matter where you live
>>
File: MTI5NDc3MDg3NTE2OTg5OTE4.jpg (68KB, 620x923px) Image search: [Google]
MTI5NDc3MDg3NTE2OTg5OTE4.jpg
68KB, 620x923px
>>
Jack Kerouac's 'The Dharma Bums' is pretty /out/-related, he spends about half the book hiking and making trail mix. There's a lot of masturbatory bullshit about Buddhism but other than that it's good.
>>
fags
>>
>>803860
Nice I jist borrowed this book yesterday

>>803938
>masturbatiry bullshit about buddhism
Is it really bullshit? I really enjoy reading buddhist books so is it bullshit because you don't like buddhism in general or he just writes about it in a bad way?
>>
haven't read it but it's about cossacks so I thought it might have some outness to it. Is Quiet Don /out/?
>>
Simply riviting!
>>
File: IndustrialSocietyAndItsFuture.jpg (74KB, 658x370px) Image search: [Google]
IndustrialSocietyAndItsFuture.jpg
74KB, 658x370px
>>
File: 002.jpg (141KB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
141KB, 1067x1600px
this book is more /out/ than you might think. exploration, conquoring, building of villages, cities, roads, aquaducts, societies; agriculture and transit, the exploration, documenting, mapping, studying, and controlling the earth itself. #outpower
>>
File: JackLondonwhitefang1.jpg (30KB, 284x417px) Image search: [Google]
JackLondonwhitefang1.jpg
30KB, 284x417px
>>802715
Anything by Jack London.
>>
>>804095
I've always been somewhat interested in eastern religion, which is partially what drew me to the book, but Kerouc seems to think he and his friends are all enlightened spirit guides even though they're a bunch of alcoholic degenerates. Later in life he went back to Catholicism and I've heard he acknowledges how much of a drunken asshole he is in Big Sur (another very /out/ book).
>>
Joe Dodge by Willie Putnam

A tale about a tough ol sunabitch that ran the AMC hut system and the Mount Washington Observatory. Short and pretty funny.
>>
>>804456

Seawolf.

Its so ham fisted and over the top but god damn its good masculine fun.

Also anything by For Whom the Bell Tolls.
>>
>>802717
"Not stopping to mark the trail"
>hates cairns
>I'm a fan already
>>
>>802770
So when are you planning to die?
>>
>>804456

Mah night

Also, I love "the long road to the frozen north" by Basho. I'd love to home the length of Japan one day, but from what I hear Japan is the least /out country in the world.
>>
>>804788
>Seawolf.

>These were none of your namby pamby oaths. Every word was a blaspheme and there were many words.

A quote I remember to this day, 20 years since I read it.
>>
Anybody else read 'Hatchet' as a kid?
>>
>>804970
Also The River, Brian's Return, Brian's Winter and Brian's Hunt.

And My Side of the Mountain, of course.

Almost all utter bullshit fantasy but fun to read nevertheless.
>>
>>804970
In elementary school we had to read a book and then write a letter to the author. I choose Hatchet and write to Gary Paulsen. I got a stock "dear fan" letter back, but his letterhead had a wolf on it which was cool.
>>
>>803860
Yesssss
>>
I've been reading "The Old Man and the Boy" by Robert Ruark. It's about a grandfather teaching his grandson how to be a hunter, fisherman, outdoors man, and in general a proper man. It's absolutely great, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in any of that.
>>
Any good out related books with some sort of love interest?

2 hikers fall in love or someshit

I want to escape my none out relationship for a moment before i finish tying this noose.
>>
The Mystery of Everett Ruess

legendary explorer of Colorado Plateau who disappeared at the ripe old age of 20 in the early 1930s somewhere along the Escalante River
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 318x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 318x500px
>don't leave the trail
>>
>>807692
Wizard's First Rule or the Sword of Truth series in general.
>>
>>807692

Brokeback mountain script
>>
you know it bud
>>
File: holygrail.jpg (40KB, 233x351px) Image search: [Google]
holygrail.jpg
40KB, 233x351px
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 356x550px)
image.jpg
56KB, 356x550px
>>810140
I bought this in antikvariat (sort of second hand bookshop) and can't wait to read it, what am I in for in regards ti /out/?
Also pic related is great for sea related /out/
>>
>>810162

Gay sex with a pagan cannibal, suicidal sailors, and an obsession which leads to death.
>>
>>804401
>>
I hate re reading books, I feel like it's really dull and lacklustre. However, while not being much into poetry, I enjoy ready frost poems while out. I have a little pocketbook and always seem to enjoy them differently when in nature
>>
tales set in the jungles of northeastern argentina/brazil

mostly disease, injuries and death while lost /out/ there
>>
>>809995
Oh shit my lad right there
>>
Castaneda or tom brown. Do NOT join the flanel shirt squad. AND THE ONLY GOOD "SURVIVAL" BOOK IS NORTHERN BUSHCRAFT BY MORS KOCHANSKI.
>>
File: 1465191897403.jpg (401KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1465191897403.jpg
401KB, 1920x1080px
>>810162
>as boring as real whaling.
>as exciting as real whaling.
I might go back in for a second read, it really is an odyssey. also, i have no experience with the ocean, but it definitely woke something in me
>>
>>802734

Tokien has the comfiest books to read /out/.

>>810277

Flannel is warm and comfortable. I don't care about hipsters.
>>
File: big red.jpg (67KB, 306x450px) Image search: [Google]
big red.jpg
67KB, 306x450px
>>802715
red this book in middle school, however it is still one of my favorite books to date.
>>
File: image.jpg (327KB, 1600x1064px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
327KB, 1600x1064px
>>810442
I am looking forward to reading it a lot. I enjoyed Arthur Gordon Pym a lot and sea and ship adventures really excite me.
>mfw living in a landlocked european country
>>
>>802735
If you're interested in history I recommend FLippen's Nixon and the Environoment. Neat litte Academic book that's a well written overview of the environmental movement in the 60's and Nixon's reaction to it. If you want an administration take on it John Whitacre's Striking a Balance is more technical but also more informative. Great Whitacre quote.
>I'll never forget sitting around the table and seeing the gnarled hands of these Basque sheepherders who were coming in from Utah, Colorado, Idaho and all, and how unhappy and bitter [they were.] They felt we were ruining their world. We were killing their sheep. We'd give them statistics "Only these many of your sheep are dying, it's not really that big of a deal." I only bring that part of it up to say that your job at Interior was to spend a lot of time in meetings with people like that. Here I am 30 years later and I remember those men's gnarled hands. That didn't mean that I changed my position, but it was a kind of feeling that it was good democracy to make sure you saw all of these people.

http://centerwest.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/whitaker.pdf
>>
File: Snapchat-3385362866768922888.jpg (501KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-3385362866768922888.jpg
501KB, 1440x2392px
>>
Gary Snyder is GOAT when it comes to outdoors-related literature. I'd especially recommend The Practice of the Wild and Riprap & Cold Mountain Poems by him, although he has many other books that are well worth reading.

Aside from Snyder, Edward Abbey & Robinson Jeffers are two other /out/ authors that I'd definitely recommend. Some deep ecologist writers (Paul Shepard, Pentti Linkola, etc.) are interesting, at least if you find the study of humanity's relationship with the wider world at a time of ecological crisis as something worth looking into.

Cheers on the peeps who have been posting Uncle Ted's manifesto. While most of you were probably drawn to his more conservative aspects, Kaczynki's writings on his experiences while living in Montana and witnessing the expansion of industrialism are nothing short of breathtaking. John Zerzan is an author who made a lot of similar conclusions to Ted, although his obvious 1960s leftist tendencies frequently crop up through his writings.
>>
>>802717
dude i just started walden myself. excellent so far
>>
My side of the mountain, the other side of the mountain, and the boxcar kids were my childhood. Gotta throw Indian in the cub board in there too, not super out related but non the less. God I need to go reread all of them
>>
File: 1464888231365.jpg (75KB, 680x851px) Image search: [Google]
1464888231365.jpg
75KB, 680x851px
>ctrl+f
>byron
>phrase not found
Lord Byron is literally the comfiest /out/ reading available.
>>
>>812661
Byron's a hell of a poet. As far as Romanticist writers go, I rank him just behind William Blake.
>>
I'm reading huckleberry finn and I think it'd be a good book to read on an outing.
>>
File: 100 Years Of Solitude.jpg (261KB, 430x648px) Image search: [Google]
100 Years Of Solitude.jpg
261KB, 430x648px
>>
File: Basho.jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
Basho.jpg
7KB, 275x183px
>>802717
found/bought/read/appreciated/loaned to a friend based on your suggestion. Thanks bro.

You get down with Basho? The Narrow Road to the Deep North is top tier /out/ reading.
>>
File: 000a.jpg (558KB, 1090x1536px) Image search: [Google]
000a.jpg
558KB, 1090x1536px
The Complete Walker

and Heavy Duty
>>
>>804344
Surprisingly this is kind of /out/ related, though it wouldn't seem so at first glance to the uninitiated. It's also a great read. It's an essay that the dude probably wrote in his self made cabin innawoods about how industrial society and modern technology are detrimental to the wellbeing of individuals.
>>
Nice thread. Time to get into reading.
>>
Grizzly Years, by Doug Peacock.
The man behind the famed character, George Washington Hayduke.
A definite read for those interested in the outdoors, more importantly, Grizzlies.
>>
>>802715
>65 posts
>not one mention of Heart of Darkness

I'm dissapointed, /out/.
>>
just finished this
i'd recommend it to anyone
>>
Green Hills of Africa, one of my favourite books.
>>
Anything by Turguenev
>>
>>804970
Yes! Does anybody know a book that is similar but not for kids? Person surviving alone in the woods etc.
>>
Survival guides are only acceptable answer.
>>
Into the Wild
>>
I just finished my first book in so long I can't even remember. Wasn't to long a read just Call of the Wild but I feel pretty good. Made that hammock and the wilderness extra comfy.
>>
File: ConanLancer.gif (144KB, 663x360px) Image search: [Google]
ConanLancer.gif
144KB, 663x360px
Conan
>>
>>821074
whats so /out/ about conan?
>>
File: book.jpg (76KB, 324x500px)
book.jpg
76KB, 324x500px
>>
>>821335
I enjoy reading it outside.
>>
while /out/, I like reading high fantasy novels like the shannara series, and despite being an atheist, I enjoy pagan religious texts like the 21 lessons of merlin.
>>
Peter Matthiesen in general

The Snow Leopard (backpacking through the Himalayas and looking for the elusive snow leopard and also Matthiesen's interest in Buddhism)
The Tree Where Man was Born (Africa)
Men's Lives (fishing off of Long Island, New York)
Far Tortuga (fiction unlike the rest above, about a crew of Cayman Islands' turtle fishermen on a doomed voyage)
>>
Tao Te Ching
>>
File: 20160721_115947.jpg (4MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160721_115947.jpg
4MB, 3264x1836px
>>803146
+1 for sand county almanac. One of my favorites.
>>
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.